Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Wallet posted:

If anyone is interested, I've just updated Rebanner to add musicians to the game, which are mechanically just a different name for banners, but each of them provides automatically activating buffs when the assigned unit does certain things or is in certain situations. Here's a few examples:

I'd be interested to hear what people make of them.

Also, if anyone else who deals with modding stuff (Gejnor?) has any idea what determines the order in which abilities show up on items, I'd love to hear it. It seems completely inconsistent but it can't possibly be random.

That's super cool, but is it possible to tinker with the files to add actual drums and horns for when the ability fires?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Pellisworth posted:

What's the guided projectile trait that Doom Divers have actually do, are they just more accurate? Is it worth using them over Rock Lobbas?

Like magical missiles and the Hellcannon, Doom Divers will turn towards a target mid-air. They're high AP, terrifyingly accurate and are probably in the top 3 of artillery pieces. In campaign though, Lobbas get a huge boost to reload time so it's more of a wash.

E:
drat, beaten like a sniveling gobbo.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 25, 2017

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

What was that one mod that specifically rebalanced the Empire Campaign to give it a Chivalry-esque resource that affected diplomacy with other Empire states?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

According to Polygon it sounds like there's going to be mercenary armies consisting of random units such as "Wolf Riders and Bastiladons".

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

jokes posted:

What do y'all think the plan is with Estalia/Tilea/BP etc.? A minor overhaul to grant them some special units or something considering they're the main (only?) human forces in the New World?

No Hype: some of the rogue armies are a mix of Dwarf/Norse/Bret/Imp units and access to cannons.

Slight Hype: there's a specific rogue army that has RoR-style reskins with one or two unique units. Leopold's Lost Legion shows up.

Lots-o-Hype: Ogres are added, and there's a Dogs Of War playable faction.

Maximum Overhype: Halflings :getin:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Kanos posted:

I do hope they're not going to make Teclis spend a million levels filling out Loremaster of <x> skills. Having to spend two skill points to unlock overcast is also going to hurt and make it so casters are locked even harder into using very specific spells and ignoring less immediately useful spells, unless they have a solution planned for that.

Apparently the High Elves have an army stance that will make them earn XP faster and boost their magical power. Still going to use a double skill-points mod.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

ZearothK posted:

God (Allah, I guess?), I hope we'll get Araby as a faction for game 2.

I just hope this freedom means they come up with a faction name that's less on the nose than "Araby". Elephants are cool, genies are cool, but saying a real-world place fits in a fantasy world without even a name change isn't cool (see also Nippon & Cathay)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Dwarves have incredible ranged units though imo. Mortars may be better for s
Destructive force but my ai armies rely a lot on thunderers, quarrelers, and arty

3 mortars beats 2 cannons. You don't need better artillery, you just need more artillery. Here's a helpful tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNgNBsCI4EA

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

On top of it all, no one ever seems to acknowledge just how drat strong you need to be to draw a longbow. Lady archers should be just as buff as swordswomen. :colbert:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Ze Pollack posted:

Like, the only one who would be worth seeing I can think of is Grom the Paunch, Goblin Warboss, who historically led an invasion of Ulthuan. Slapping him on Ulthuan gives something for elves to do earlygame, and also would get you a greenskin start away from the goddamned Badlands.

Gorbad Ironclaw would be decent as an orc-cavalry focused lord. Among the dwarf lords Josef Bugman would turn out broken for his ability to heal his troops, and I'd love to see Grimm Burloksonn as an engineer lord (there's already too many drat "grims" hanging around). There's quite a few Empire lords that would be fun if they were spun off into their own factions, and there's too many Warriors of Chaos characters remaining to go into. My favorite would be Wulfrik the Wanderer, blessed with the gift of language just so he can insult anyone he meets. The only remarkable omission from the Vampire Counts is of course Krell, who is Kemmler's bodyguard/traveling buddy.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Gejnor posted:

Well in Thorgrims case his throne is sort of a big deal since there are no mount options for Dwarf Lords (besides the DLC Rune Lords of course), his bigger size makes a difference between him and a generic lord.

Grimgor loses a shield and gains AP damage right off the bat but he also does not gain any mounts so hes a permanently feet-bound Orc Warboss+ In the vanilla game. He can hit harder than any other Orc Lord due to his unique skill Hatred but that really is it.

Technically, the normal lords can get shield bearers ala Chief Vitalstatistix. It'd be an awesome addition to keep them from getting knocked on their asses constantly.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Night10194 posted:

There's another dark portal or something but all it has to corrupt is penguins, not people, so there's really nothing there.

You sure?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAoONl2P8fw

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Captain Beans posted:

Yea I've found SFO really helps the AI in battles. If anything at least it tweaks the AI army composition so you don't have 10 crossbow men, 5 mortar and 5 free company militia AI armies.

I've noticed in SFO there are multiple buildings and building routes to unlocking the same units, pretty sure that is specifically to help the AI.

There's got to be something doing work in my cocktail of mods, I've picked up Steel Faith and Marienburg is sending three stacks of units at me.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

madmac posted:

If it is Norsca/Wulfrick, the real question is who the second LL will be.

I could maybe see Throgg the Troll King in that role, since Troll Spam fits a little better with Norsca than with Warriors of Chaos proper.

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Throgg

Throgg would be great as a monster-specific LL. Troll spam is at least more interesting than marauder/chariot-spam.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Why on earth not just make it an expansion?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXDwIo5_AMo

Nah but seriously Total War's got a big team of programmers and they gotta get paid. Plus I do not pity the guys that are going to have to model 50 flavors of grisly demons. They might justify the title of a third game if they massively rework how Chaos Corruption and the endgame for the base factions work, and I'd totally understand if people didn't want to include that in their game.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

ditty bout my clitty posted:

But but but they can't save a chaos revamp for the third game? I paid a menial amount for this DLC.

That's what I'm saying? The four chaos factions line up with the "four races per game" shtick.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

One QoL addition, the HUD now tells you when a broken unit has rallied, which is great for people like me that can barely play battles at full speed :downs:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Top of the complaint list would probably be how public order revolts can currently be a great way to get money, experience, and magic items.

The reasonable option would be to give all Order factions a broader "stability" like Brettonia's Chivalry that is drained while raiding lands of your own faction.

The comedy option for Dwarfs would be assigning a grudge to kill your own general for raiding Dwarf lands.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Dandywalken posted:

You will, thankfully. It's going to be a bit til the combined mega grand campaign that has both maps though.

Speaking of, one of the developers offered a clarification on how the mega-campaign provinces would work. We knew that in the mega campaign that the capitals would get extra building slots, but it looks like it'll be on a couple different levels:

CA posted:

Just a correction as I see this pop up everywhere lately.

Minor settlements remain at 4 slots.

Small province capitals (Those you currently see in Norsca) go from 4 to 6 slots.
Regular province capitals get an increase from 6 to 8 slots (1/2/3/5/7 secondary slots).
Special province capitals (Altdorf etc) go from 6 to 10 slots (2/4/6/8/9 secondary slots).
Athel Loren locations go from 10 to 12 slots (3/5/7/9/11 secondary slots)

This is for game 2 only and there will be new buildings, legendary and otherwise.

So the reason for the delay is that they're going to try and make it a genuinely separate campaign rather than just smushing the Old World and New World together.

Plus, there's going to be a preview of the New World map on Wednesday

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Jamwad Hilder posted:

FYI your army + the garrison should be able to absolutely crush 2 orc stacks, assuming you have walls. Without walls it'll be tougher but you should still be able to win if you have even a little bit of artillery. If you really don't want to lose the city you could corner camp.

Obviously focus on the siege towers, but Dwarfs are absolute killers in siege battles. I've had Quarrlers fight off Chaos Warriors that were dumb enough to use ladders.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

wiegieman posted:

Really, the only thing holding the Empire back from that is the lack of the socket bayonet and the concept of interchangeable parts.

:pseudo: The Empire is 100% Pike & Shot (they have halberds and muskets). You're thinking of Line Battles/Napoleonic warfare.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Luminous Cow posted:

How's the beastmen SFO experience? Does it make the game significantly harder? Or does it provide more opportunities to ambush enemy armies and force open field conflict?

I've tried fighting Beastmen as Brettonnia and Dwarfs in SFO. My peasants chain rout immediately, and my Dwarfs were only barely able to eke out a win. Beastmen are terrifying on the charge :stonk:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

So are dark elves chaos aligned or just some whiny kids who are mad because mom wouldn't let them go outside dressed all emo

Both. But mostly the second thing. Also Mom's the one that keeps buying the black lipstick & kinky leather.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Glenn Quebec posted:

But what kind of units would Tilea have that would be different from Empire? Legit curious

Going by the old Dogs of War lists, Tilea has access to:

"Duelists", two-handed sword infantry.
Pikemen. Not sure how different they'd be compared to spears but it's a thing.
Extra-elite Halberdiers.
A special Paymaster hero. If he dies, the entire army fights frenzies to get back the key to the army's warchest that he was holding.
Halflings.

Tilea also gets to poach some units from other factions' armies, like

Dwarf Warriors & Quarrlers
Ogres
Norscan infantry.

Then there's a whole batch of unique Regiments of Renown that they can hire, including those pistol-wielding Slayers, a pike/crossbow combo unit, and a roving band of drunken knights.

E: Also pavise crossbows and HORSE ARTILLERY :black101:

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 18, 2017

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

It's great that CA keeps shaking up tactical battles with stuff like Berserk, but I wish they'd come up with character abilities that aren't "freeze a unit in place" :sigh:

Glenn Quebec posted:

Ew, is rape actually broached by warhammer lore ?

It's a 35-year-old fantasy setting marketed to edgy teenagers with too much money. Search your heart and you'll find your answer. (Don't search google, just your heart. Please.)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Ravenfood posted:

So, what happens to the Varg and Skaeling now? Presumably they'll get the new roster, but I'm actually kind of sad they missed the chance to make Surtha Ek a separate start with +chariot bonuses.

Apparently Surtha Ek has pleased the Dark Gods of the Memes, and he'll start the game with his chariot mount unlocked.

E: vvv Sorry, Archaeon will always be the nerd I get to dunk on before wrapping up my campaigns. In fact I'm modding my game to replace his startpos file with the far more intimidating and swarthy Surtha Ek. vvv

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 19, 2017

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Jastiger posted:

So if you get total war 2 it basically combines 1 and 2 into one big game with more content? That owns

My understanding is that if you have Total Warhammers 1 & 2, then you'll be able to play the Old World campaign map or the New World campaign map. A few weeks later they'll release the "Warhammer World" map that covers the Old World & the New World that's about the same size as the other two with some balance tweaks. Notably, there's going to be a number of minor factions removed and provincial capitals will have more building slots.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Zore posted:

Note, Dwarf Warriors don't have charge defense against large. Longbeards do though and I forget if Ironbreakers do or not.

Dwarf Warriors with Great Weapons don't have Charge Defense against Large (i.e. things horse-sized or bigger). The quick & dirty rule is that if a dwarf melee unit has a shield, then it has some kind charge defense.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

theDOWmustflow posted:

I have never seen a dawi charge like that - unique animation against Beastmen? Either way it's glorious.

NYOOOOM :black101:

E: ^Aw hell

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Maybe I should try making a mod for this. Or someone who can mod should. Could make both fighting and playing empire more interesting

There *was* a mod that made Karl Franz and Thorgrim Grudgebearer multi-unit models like Generals from previous Total Wars. I'm at work so I can't track it down right now.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Panfilo posted:

'rubberband'

That's what Confederation (sometimes) does. Problem is the AI's building preferences and inability to disband/rebuild means you'll still be fighting the same armies from the beginning at all stages of the game.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Kislev will be cool since it's just a mishmash of every Eastern European military. Cossacks, winged hussars, probably some bear cavalry, etc.

The #1 thing I want from Kislev and Dogs of War are their fast Horse Artillery.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Kislev needs some kind of tachanka. Bear tachanka.

That's exactly what they've got:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

jokes posted:

I hope I'm wrong too but I just plain don't think they're gonna staple new poo poo onto it. I feel like they really don't care for paint-the-map-with-no-challenges gameplay anymore.

I remember reading something to the effect that CA want the Vortex mechanics to exist on the combined map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

And if CA had bothered with naval combat, they'd have goddamn sea monsters :argh:

My Man O' War summaries :negative:

• Locked thread