Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yo just saw the trailer and jesus christ please just make an excuse for old data, that was terrifying. There's a million easy ways to not do whatever the hell that was.

I was surprised by the trailer in general. I wasn't expecting it to be nu-style and actiony, especially since Picard was older and it sounded like it was going to be kind of lowkey. I liked Discovery (plus, it got the two bad first seasons out of the way and season 3 will be good in the traditional fashion) and it's designs, but it felt more like a movie than it did star trek in terms of cinematography. This seems to have that same thing. I think that anchors it to that feeling of Trek more so than just the designs and aesthetics of spaces.

Also, Picard is now a rogue pilot now and is involved with helping to protect a tiny girl with incredible strength and intelligence and tragic backstory? I did always want another season of Firefly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If you judged a Trek by it's first two seasons alone, there is no good Trek.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Hey
What if

The girl has something to do with Control :mrgw:

I would actually like that. The way Control was thwarted did not feel satisfying or actually like it was over, just that they had to wrap it up and wrote selves into a spock corner first.

Discovery had a lot of cool bits, caught in its whole mess. Saru is a great character any Trek would be lucky to have.

Voyager is my favourite Trek series and TOS (j/k never been able to make it through to even fairly judge) my least so what do I know.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

piratepilates posted:

what on earth

It was my first. I eventually warmed up to TNG and would sometimes go out of my way to catch it, but like Voyager and crew were the ones I knew as Star Trek. For a brief time I thought Deep Space 9 was related to Babylon 5 or something lol, it was more of a Star Wars household overall. I still really like it despite the criticism and none of that criticism meant anything to me when I first watched it on UPN. Tom Paris Mutated is the only bit of Star Trek merchandise I have ever bought because Threshold loving rules. I can see which of you will be the small-lobe axolotls once we break the speed barrier too hard that it rapidly evolves us to our inevitable amphibian forms.

All joking a salad, the premise alone is a great hook for a Trek even if they absolutely squandered it as fast and hard as they could. There are a lot of characters I like. Kes was interesting even if the core premise of her species sounds like something a babyfur would come up with, I really liked her dumping Neelix's rear end because Neelix is a toxic fuckwad pedo everyone wishes died so they could just have Tuvix. Janeway was written hella inconsistently but overall I liked Mulgrew's take on Captain.

Chakotay is no Riker but if they were in Smash Bros, Chakotay could win sometimes. Tuvok is a good vulcan and he had some good episodes on him. As a kid I just didn't care about Tom Paris, nowadays I kind of wonder what he did to both get on the show and get his job in-universe. I feel like Kim could've done anything Paris ended up doing but less lovely. Maybe that's because Kim is also someone they never seemed to know what to do with and decided on doing nothing despite Paris hopping all over the place just be being a useless turdman. Belana was good but her problem was they let Paris leech onto her too. Seven and Doctor are great but that's already common opinion.

Looking back it's kind of nuts to be doing 3 star treks at once. One at a time seems like a better pace, surely. Between Discovery, Picard, Orville, and whatever that other academy thing is seems like they're overreaching and it'll all quickly shut back down.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

8one6 posted:

In a universe that contains TOS and DS9 this is objectively incorrect.

The" two seasons rule" doesn't apply to TOS because it never got good ooooo

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Same but unironically.

DS9 season one I'd still say is overall bad. Two is good though.

I only can't really say that I don't think it's good because I've just never been able to get through all of it. DS9 I've seen bits from all over but never start to finish and it seems like the sort of thing that's better if you do so.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Star Trek just doesn't seem to work as a movie. The least bad Trek movies could have just been episodes, maybe not even two-parters necessarily.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Eiba posted:

Man, Tuvix is such a good episode. The actor did such a good job. He really sold the mix of warmth and intelligence. He's using Neelix's obnoxious ebullience in a much more logical understanding way. You can really see how both characters gain a lot from the merge, and it's incredible to see it so well performed.

It really comes out in his final defense of his existence to Janeway. He's defending the idea that he's a person with rights, but he's being logical and empathetic as he pleads with Janeway, right up until the end. His delivery of "I have the right to live!" was amazing. Just for a moment he's furious that he's in this situation. That's the one of only moments his anger comes out.

People joke about Janeway being cruel and crazy, but honestly I didn't get any of that before this episode. She had a strong sense of principle before this, and even when she was failing to be pragmatic in a frustrating way, I respected why she was adhering to those ideals. Even the Prime Directive episodes weren't that bad. But here for the first time I have trouble respecting her decision. But to the actor's credit, she very clearly portrays a captain not comfortable with what she felt she had to do.

The best moment belonged to the Doctor. Tuvix had broken down pleading with all his friends on the bridge not to be killed and they all remained silent. But when they got to sickbay, the Doctor clearly stated that he would do no harm and have no part in this. He was the only one who spoke up against Janeway in Tuvix's defense.

Jesus, what a tragic story.

I wish Neelix or Tuvok had a line at the end though, acknowledging that they remembered pleading for their life moments ago. Neelix seems happy for Kes, but it's unclear what they think about Tuvix, someone they should know as well as Tuvix knew them.

I can never get over this. Killing Tuvix seems like the worst thing. Then again, I think the ending of Evangelion where everyone exists as a collective pool of LCL is the ideal state of existence for human beings and the only happy ending we got.

They don't even use that episode to like create a lasting and deep bond between Neelix and Tuvok. Or even an uncomfortable rift (any scene with Neelix is inherently uncomfortable but you know what I mean), it was basically back to business as usual. I can tolerate a lot of Janeway's inconsistency and her tending towards rougher options, but killing Tuvix seems straight up evil. Neelix and Tuvok died, it happens, but you don't seem them resurrecting the dead even though they have all the tools theoretically to do so if they wanted. Rarely when two people die are you left with a living person who is an amalgam of the two dead people, greater in their unity than they ever could be as individuals. Janeway is handed a miracle and she seeks a way to destroy it. RIP Tuvix

piratepilates posted:

isn't it just a little crazy how voyager had a sapient AI hologram, and that's never really brought up.

like he wasn't even meant to be turned on for long, he was just the equivalent of an automated triage droid, but for some reason he was programmed well enough to have his own thoughts, emotions, fears, desires, evolving thought.

tng also had a sapient AI created by their own gosh darn computer. they just stuck him in a box and tossed him away like thats not an incredible evolution and something to be celebrated and researched and become a major part of the show.

The "code" for a sentient animal probably isn't as complex as we think it is. It almost seems just like an emergent property of animals once they have enough different senses working together. I would maybe even assert if computing and AI got advanced enough you'd have to go out of your way to prevent it from arising.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 31, 2019

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The Doctor is said to be in it now. I don't think it's a real issue, just fun to play

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MikeJF posted:

gently caress off Kurtzman I hate you.

Also for gently caress's sake when TNG was conceived and began the Cold War was still looming over the world.

When was the Cold War supposed to have ever ended anyway? Last I checked our president was chosen by a KGB officer and all signs point to it happening again very soon so I'm assuming we lost that war.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

curiousTerminal posted:

The Borg were fine until the introduction of Unimatrix Zero. Once they brought back the Borg Queen it got ridiculous. I can let the Worfing of the Borg via 8472 go by because that's just a common long running show problem where each threat has to be bigger than the last so they use the previous threat to indicate how big the new one is, over and over. (Like the Daleks in the 2005 Doctor Who) and I'm even sort of okay with the drone kids that Seven begrudgingly adopts, but "Some Borg secretly dream of being real people again in a harmonious forest dimension they can't remember" is just loving stupid.

The Borg would be so much better if they weren't trying so goddamn hard to villainize the concept of collectivism. I get it, we're an independent and selfish culture to an extreme fault, but like give me a break, there are clear advantages to a species that works collectively towards a shared goal towards the overall benefit of all. The Borg are also portrayed as monumentally stupid. They connect such a wide variety of species and cultures and technology it's absurd they end up as this like comically oblivious race of people. They should be vastly more intelligent than anyone they come across generally. Borg could and should be subtly infiltrating targeted societies to assimilate them and others connected to them without relying on resistance-inspiring brute force.

Joining the Borg should be tantalizing in and of itself, there should be some individuals who genuinely and rightfully believe their existence may be improved as part of a higher being.

Instead they're just massive space jerks who never seem nearly as threatening as they could be for all the goofery.

P.S. gently caress Borg Queen for the same reason gently caress Bee Queens. It's a stupid, misleading, needlessly anthropomorphising title. Bee Queens aren't rulers. The human equivalent of a "queen bee" would be a floating womb and vagina that you poured maple syrup into until it shits out a continual stream of babies. The failure of the Borg Queen as a character and plot device is basically the same bullshit why it wouldn't work to have Bee Queens as their god awful title implies.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The individual Borg is a replaceable cog in the machine that is the Borg collective. Also, single Borgs don't need to be intelligent, they are better off spending their brain CPU power on whatever problem the collective needs solving. Before they encountered the federation, they didn't need anything but brute force to quickly get what they want (I'm ignoring species whatever). Even if they experience some causalities, they can always easily just get more drones.

Yes, there are some crazy people who might see joining the Borg as a good thing, but people also join cults all the time.

I don't mean I think there are people who would join the Borg as is, but that a collective-type species could be created in a way that was appealing to people. It would be nice to share a collective intelligence that knew and understood more than I ever could as an individual, not having the stresses and pain that result from the inability for people to understand or empathize one another, no loneliness or alienation, effective immortality, meaningful purpose for your body/life that can be quantified and enjoyed. So, basically definitely not the Borg in anyway outside of doing shared consciousness. Borg are basically just macro DNA doing a basic program to successfully self-reproduce and increase their numbers and control of immediate resources, lacking the abstract qualities of persons. The Zombie comparison is even better.

I need to really go through DS9 start to finish once and for all, I don't know very much about the changelings and great link.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm into individualism vs collectivism but am not generally interested in the capital punishment of workers who have babies. Just punish the bad baby!!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Just seen "Progress" DS9. Pretty good episode, I like the Jake & Nog swap subplot and I really want there to be a defined purpose for self-sealing stem bolts but they're having fun with it not mattering. I think I missed what the big deal was with needing to do a big earthquake or whatever on that moon with that alien who kinda looks like ian mcshane? Apparently they could get the same results with a year-long process but I'm guessing it was a super life or death situation, not just over eager developers?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
All these suggestions prove is that the Borg need to assimilate more humans.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Okay, so a horny betazoid is sexually harassing Odo, talking about how he is ideal for her because she likes to manipulate her partners. She then bring up his race and how she wants to gently caress someone of his race. She is inappropriately touching him without consent and he is super uncomfortable and makes an excuse to leave the situation. He then goes to Sisko to report the sexual harassment and Sisko is a real loving rear end in a top hat about it. He basically says "just gently caress her, bro." Odo reiterates how it makes him uncomfortable and he doesn't feel that he should have to confront her about it. Sisko is just like "just deal with it."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Retroactively, yeah, but nanites weren't added to the borg concept until First Contact. The as-written intent in Q-Who was collective mental will.

Thoughts are just electrical activity in an organ. Given the cybernetic nature of their organs, it's not unbelievable that they'd have some kind of wifi built in. Don't we already have actual humans with cybernetic implants to control prosthetic limbs and poo poo? Collective mental will sounds like psychic nonsense on the surface, but if you've got a network of computer-people, it's really not that whacky of a notion that they'd be able to link up and expand their computing power working together.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Yeah but that doesn't un-melt steel beams without a physical mechanism for carrying out their collective will

Never heard of mind over matter?!?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Star Trek sucks as a movie and all Star Trek movies suck. Just skip em if you can, forget em if you can't and pretend they don't happen.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Where does all this dystopic stuff about Earth being like the hyper nanny state where nobody ever has privacy and big brother is expected to react instantly to someone fall down scrape their knee come from? The way it's described sounds like a sequel to 1984 not Star Trek

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Discovery season three preview looked fun, I think being in the future will help a lot. Really weird choice to set the show when they did. I'm curious how their thousand year old spaceship and tech will fare in this future.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Badass Sisko quote: "I didn't beg, I blackmailed you."

This episode Rivals is pretty good so far. I am wondering what the hell the deal with this magic 8-ball gambling machine is. Like, I know it's going to lead to the con man's ruin, it's "cursed," but what's the appeal of it? A random number generator with lights? Is there something going on I am missing or are we just supposed to accept it for the plot device it is?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Episode of DS9 where O'brien's life is saved because his wife doesn't know him as well as she thought.

Next episode is all O'brien, did he have a deal to have a certain number of episodes based around him or what?

He mentions enjoying making these aliens read his "sexy letters" to his wife. Are those letters available in some wiki or comic or something?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 7, 2019

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You ain't kiddin'. This episode we find out he's a replicant. The show insinuates it's the real O'brien but we as the audience totally see the twist and realize he's the replicant successfully replacing the original. Tragic but also it doesn't matter, they're identical in every way apparently.

He's not bad but I can't just help but see him as the lonely transporter man from those comics.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

skasion posted:

Rome but a bit futurey is all romulans have ever been. The real sin is that romulans are still so boring and don’t do anything remotely interesting with “space romans”, which is a great idea even if you just rip off actual history. Trek writers can’t even be bothered to do that and just default to “they’re mean and their ships are invisible” most of the time.

I have seen so many trek episodes in my life and I had no idea that romulans had anything to do with Rome. In Hindsight, it seems like it should be obvious from their name alone but I just took it as scifi race name. AFAIK Romulans were literally just Vulcans with meaner eyebrows. A brief look at wikipedia and it seems even the shows creators never had much of a good idea of what to do with them and just change poo poo almost every time they show up.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

You mean this week on Home Movies.

I am more excited for this Coach McGuirk thing more than I am for Picard or Disco3.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Did y'all watch "Q&A"- Star Trek: Short Treks

I was really amused and surprised by her display of that weird kid song but she was right, it is kind of freaky to see a Spock laugh and smile so heartily.

"Runaway"

Is kind of cool too, I forgot when Po was introduced but I liked her character. I was hoping she'd get stuck on Discovery by some weird contrivance.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 10, 2019

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The only thing I didn't like but also loved about this Tribble Short Trek was the ad for the Tribble cereal. Advertising to children wouldn't be legal in a good civilization but it was funny anyway.

I wish these were longer or that we just had a old-type Trek show for exploring this sort of thing. They really could have had things paced better if they had double, triple, or quadruple the time. Just remake ToS or something at this point, drat.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
There's 5000% too much Seth McFarlane else it would be

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I always thought the Obrerth was supposed to be deliberately dorky looking

Isn't every ship before Discovery explicitly designed to look dorky and goofy as hell? The first and main ship we ever see is a dumbass flying saucer with stick figure legs coming out of it. I love Star Trek but "cool spaceships" has never been a thing in it. Hell, the cool ship in Discovery I'm thinking of might actually just be the ship from Orville.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Snorb posted:

The Nimitz, Walker, and the Cardenas classes all look fine to me. (Hell, I actually like the Cardenas, and I usually hate four-nacelle ships!)

The Hoover looks like somebody turned the Millennium Falcon backwards and added an Oberth pod and warp nacelles, though, and the Magee is just lazy. It looks like Doug Drexler just wanted to get out of the office early one Friday, so he slapped that one together and called it a day.

Those first three are pretty rad, hadn't seen em before and the address the doofiness of the main show ships. They don't look like they'd snap apart so easily. The millennium falcon ripoff is pretty amusing, from the side you wouldn't know they glued a star wars to their space tubes. The Magee's looks like they took a normal ship design, didn't group them together in illustrator and they hit center and all the chunks get layered on top in the middle. Also it kind of looks like a giant docking mechanism or maybe just giant space clamps, clamping the saucer part.

Continuing DS9 watch: Is Quark just a super cosmopolitan Ferengi without a lot of his own races typical biases or are Ferengi in general in this period becoming marginally more progressive? In the span of a few episodes he makes a muttered reference to how Ferengi women don't get any rights, he explores an old love with a Cardassian, flirts with a Vulcan who seems not entirely uninterested. The Cardassian woman was straight up still in love with him after a number of years, so Quark can't be a hardliner for "females can't wear clothes" and that sort of stuff. I hate capitalists and Ferengi typically, but he seems like a great sort in comparison.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 17, 2019

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

curiousTerminal posted:

Why do the transporter rooms even exist if the simple existence of the transporter is enough to use it? I would ask why there isn't a transporter pad in every room for quick access to escape pods or beaming officers directly to their battle stations in emergencies but this is the Federation we're talking about, safety is at the bottom of the priority list.

Maybe it's like how even if there is an escalator and elevator, buildings are required to also have stairs? The transporter room is maybe equipped to still work in bad times in a way the site-to-site can't.

Just saw DS9 The Wire, Garak was awesome in this episode holy smokes. They got a little goofy with how the plot was resolved but the character stuff made up for it. I do think they ignored a big opportunity to explore Garak's addiction and dependence, his implant was basically on demand heroine and he had been non-stop hitting that poo poo for 2 years.

Do they ever do a space drug addiction plot in a Trek? I assume so but I can't recall any specifically off the top.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

TNG:"Symbiosis".

Oh yeah, good ol' season 1 TNG, kind of a mess from various angles all around.

DS9 Crossover: The sexual tension between Kira and Kira is really great, I was really not expecting that angle once mirror universe was revealed. The weirdest thing about this episode is how everyone kept pronouncing Terran completely different, sometimes the same actor from scene to scene. Terran, tear-on, tehran, terron. There was also a lot of dunking on O'brien, his little speech about how he was inspired to hear a lil ol' O'brien can get the big boy jobs in the mirror universe was too much, leave the man alone. Evil Odo was fantastic, never seen him so happy so often. It's a shame they didn't bring back someone from the mirror universe, though, that woulda been fun.

DS9 Tribunal O'brien tries to go on a vacation but is sent to be executed in bizarro court. Haven't finished it but this is crazy, is this all Cardassian courts or are these some splinter faction of bad justice logic goons?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 18, 2019

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Admiralty Flag posted:

How DARE you suggest there is such a thing as...bad...Cardassian...Justice? Why, we brought the very CONCEPT of justice to the benighted fundamentalist savages occupying the mudball that this once-great space station Terok Nor orbits, and I was HONORED to fill my key role in the machinery of the state. I remember once...

Epicurius posted:

It would clearly be a miscarriage of justice for an innocent person to be arrested and punished. The Cardassian government is a fair one, so anyone they arrest must be guilty.

I look forward to finishing the episode after work but hearing it like this hammers in that even on our world there are bad courts and governments even in our world so it's not so whacky so much as it is scary.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Cardassia provides perfect justice to all for the protection of the public, what could possibly be scary about that? You're sounding a little... disloyal.

I can hear this in that smug Cardassian tone with their twisted little smirk and I just want to scream. Going to bed mid-episode leaving it hanging over my head was a bad choice.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

How about the Enterprise-F from STO:

A sperm with split ends.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

That would be so dumb though!

They're in space! Any orientation is equally dumb

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Well, that was an episode. The best guy was the Barry Zuckercorn lawyer O'brien got saddled with. Do they ever revisit this absurd court system to reform it or are Cardassians just the worst and this isn't their worst thing.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
When Sisko decided to go camping on some random gamma quadrant planet with his kid (and Quark and Nog), no tent or anything, it seems like a bad idea. Like, that's a lot of alien plants and animals to just hope aren't going to be deadly. That's exactly what happens but also gets pulled into some intense intergalactic war. Cool science project lol

Season 3 starts off weird, like it's almost like exactly rolling over from last episode of Season 2 except Dax has a different hairdo and Sisko left the room to show up with an invisible jet, but apparently there's been some indeterminate passage of time and the Federation seems to not really be taking things as serious as you'd think for having one of their ships blown away, plus all the others that happened to be in gamma.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 19, 2019

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Thom12255 posted:

In the words of purple beard man "this is ds9 baby don't get too comfortable"

IDK, 15 minutes into part 2 of season 3 opening the founders have already made peace with the federation so everything is fine. It was sketchy for a minute but Odo found some nice friends and all is well in the galaxy. Back to fun space station hijynx.

edit: Well I didn't see that twist coming and it's no Year of Hell, but it's reminding me of Year of Hell anyway so

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 20, 2019

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

ok the Nautilus is pretty sweet and aptly named

This is rad and the old-timey version of it in a later post is cool too. The old timey one actually looks like a real spaceship we might build.

Taear posted:

They always use proper measurements in Star Trek instead of dumb American poo poo, it's nice. And 15 is just above the average low in San Fran!

Whatever we call our horrible measurement system, the one good part of it is temperature wrt how it feels outside. In celcius it might be sweltering outside but it's like a couple numbers from freezing so who knows! ;o)

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

That looks like a TOS-ified version of the Ark Royal from Starfleet Command II

I like this, it's like standard trek shape is to this as star destroyer is to super star destroyer, just give the base ship hulkamania. Seems like the coolest Trek ships are hidden in everything except the TV shows.

How is STO anyway? I was in the beta for Gods and Heroes before they canned it entirely and was surprised STO even came out since it seemed like the devs were straight up going out of business. Never tried the STO beta since I can't imagine what a good Trek videogame could be like, let alone one twisted into MMO shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
^^^^I gotta go with the raw-dog no avatar life so nobody can quickly visually identify me as someone with all the bad opinions

Mrenda posted:

And a foot is great measure of distance because it's kind of the size of your foot.

Pfft maybe if your parents didn't love you enough to bind your feet they do.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 20, 2019