Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

There's only one proper way to kick this bad boy off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZS2-4-iUJ4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

I liked Pulaski in the Moriarty episode. She had a semi-legitimate point for once in questioning if Data was capable of true deduction in the style of Holmes, since it requires a level of intuition and understanding of the Human Condition an artificial mind might not be capable of, and the way she played off Moriarty himself as his prisoner was quite entertaining.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

I've been avoiding this thread because I didn't want Beyond spoilers until I got home from Japan and could see it. I want to say that without hyperbole its ties with Voyage home as my third favorite Trek film. The balance between action and everything else could have been tipped a bit better toward everything else, and having three climaxes in a row was a bit much and I felt a little burnt out by the time Kirk was fighting in Crazy Grav World, but there was never a moment in this movie where I wasn't engaged and happy. The character development and interactions were brilliant, the themes of the story shone, the mystery had me intrigued, continuity was used flawlessly, the dialogue was perfect, the world building was expert, it was simply put hands down A-Grade Star Trek from top to bottom.

And if you didn't like the final space battle and how the crew won it, I will LITERALLY fight you.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

FlamingLiberal posted:

Fair Haven/the other one with the dumb holographic Irish town are probably my stealth pick for worst episodes because they are incredibly boring.

As bad as Threshold is, you can't say it's not an interesting kind of bad.

I have a certain appreciation for Fair Haven because I think it had some interesting ideas at its core and it could have played them out ten times worse than they actually did. But Spirit Folk is god awful, holy poo poo.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Angry Salami posted:

You don't like the Bird of Prey? How can anyone not like the Bird of Prey?!

RAVING LUNATICS, THAT'S WHAT THEY'LL CALL US! They'll say we're so desperate to condemn ILM's ship designs that we'll say anything!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

corn in the bible posted:

Yeah the orville is alright

Every time I try to watch The Orville something about it fundamentally doesn't sit right with me. For lack of a better way of putting it, I feel like it's stories are both TOO Star Trek AND Not Star Trek Enough.

When I say "Too Star Trek," I mean that in so many ways the show feels backward looking. It feels like it's wearing a Next Generation Skin Cloak, even more than I ever felt Voyager did. It wants to tell stories that feel like Star Trek stories, that tackle ISSUES the way Star Trek tackled issues, and it does so by such rote that I can't help but find it grating. As a result I just get this bizarre feeling that I'm watching something with no identity of its own banking on a different IP's nostalgia to make people like it.

And when I say "Not Star Trek Enough," I mean that the show just can't help but indulge itself in Seth McFarlane's brand of humor. There are awkward shoehorned Family Guy jokes every time I watch an episode, and they whiplash me right out of any attempt at serious science fiction ideas every time. This isn't even talking about the non-sequiturs, even some of the more serious plot points get delivered in this tone that overflows with like, anti-gravitas. Half the time the show feels like it's a parody with how the characters act either like the Hyper-reality version of A Normal Person, or things meant to ape Scifi Staples, and yet it keeps trying to ostensibly tell Serious Stories between those bits. As a result... I get this bizarre feeling that I'm watching something with no identity of its own banking on a different IP's nostalgia to make people like it.

Maybe I just haven't been watching the right episodes, but I've seen at least five or six different ones now and they all leave me with the same distaste, especially the way I keep seeing people take giant dumps on Discovery to prop it up. I haven't seen all of Discovery yet, but the first 6 episodes that I saw were brilliant and fresh and exciting (except most of the Klingon bits). Seeing Diet TNG With Fart Jokes get elevated above that doesn't sit right with me.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Tighclops posted:

I totally get why someone could watch The Orville and become overwhelmed by the "knockoff" feeling; I love TNG too and while this show's nostalgic approach doesn't bother me at all personally, I don't think that if I were going to make a Trek series in 2018 I would shoot and edit it exactly the same way TNG was in 1993. Then again, sci fi has been in such a depressive rut since even before 9/11 I find it kind of refreshing to see a show where the sets aren't lit like a loving nightclub and there are more colours than just blue (even *good* sci fi shows fall victim to this, I'm looking at you The Expanse). I also don't think they do Family Guy style humour, I can't recall any cutaway gags and overall the tone of the show feels more like the Stargate franchise before they crawled up their own asses and tried ripping off BSG too.

One of these shows is intended as an homage to a particular kind of series that doesn't exist on TV anymore made by someone who understood at least some of the reasons why people loved them, and the other is a grim, messy and cynical pastiche of modern cable drama tropes with transparently focus-grouped fanservice sprinkled liberally over top made by people who want it to prop up a streaming service. Diet TNG with Fart Jokes may not be breaking any new ground but at least it's earnest about what it is, and for all it's nostalgic impulses it doesn't rely on connecting everything directly with Spock and TOS in order to get anyone to care about it's characters or it's setting

When I said "Family guy style humor," I was mostly talking about Non-Sequitur off-color jokes, like in an episode I watched the other day where when discussing a 2-Dimensional world the helmsman made "oblique," references to how 4th Dimensional beings might be watching him masturbate in his bunk. Family Guy is as full of those kinds of jokes as it is cutaway gags.

As for the second part, again, I admit I haven't seen past Episode 6, and maybe it falls off a giant cliff after the point I've seen, but other than the Drowned In Blue color scheme and BSG Gritty Lighting, I just don't agree with how you're characterizing Discovery here. Especially not the tie-ins to Spock/TOS, the episode where Michael goes into Sarek's mind and it turns out he sold out her future for the sake of his son was a really cool way to make that connection about more than just pointless fanservice IMO. There are broad strokes about Discovery that on paper seem like bad fanfic, but in their execution I've never been disappointed by them.

Well, like I said, maybe after what I've seen it turns to poo poo. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to use the free trial on that lovely not-netflix and marathon it before I have to pay. But either way seeing people bury a show that I've so far really loved to try and prop up a show that keeps rubbing me the wrong way isn't helping my efforts to give Orville a fair shake.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I can't remember if they've started season 2 yet but apparently they've mostly dropped the screwball comedy angle and are now just rolling with off-brand Trek.

Well, that would certainly help.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I still don't think I've ever yet encountered a single example of anyone disliking the Orville, who does so without referencing a (it seems) personal vendetta against Family Guy, and usually MacFarlane specifically.

For the record I don't have a vendetta against Family Guy. My point was that that style of humor constantly sucks me out of what seems to be earnest attempts at serious science fiction by undermining any attempt at gravitas.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

I can agree with the point that the E bridge doesn't have a great sense of overall layout, but I really like how individualized everything is. The single-person standing consoles, the Captain's solo chair being slightly elevated instead of on a flat line, the enclosed nature of the pilot and operations consoles that are divided from each other and wrap around the chair, for me it creates this neat sense of everyone having a personal space, personal responsibilities, and are given the tools they need for that job in a compartmentalized, utilitarian fashion.

The E's bridge does have a character (although it's undermined by that inability to get an overall picture of it), and it reflects the evolution of Pre and Post 359 Starfleet Design. As ships left behind the Galaxy and Intrepid-era softness, grace and aplomb for a harder, darker, more militarized aesthetic that we see in the Akira, Steamrunner and Sovereign, the bridge design leaves behind the round edges, the excessive open space, and the more egalitarian and communal designs of it's controls and seating arrangements for a setup where there are levels of importance with the captain on top, and the pieces that make up controls are emphasized over the greater whole.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

:bahgawd:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Everyone knows the greatest TNG book is Planet X

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

kind of difficult to not view worf as an overgrown child after watching him call Ezri Dax a slut for sleeping with him

I mean, to be fair to Worf, that's got to be the most emotionally confusing situation imaginable, and he manages to navigate to a less lovely response pretty fast.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

STAR TREKS ON MOTORCYCLES!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Goblin Craft posted:

Star Trek

Super Star Trek

Star Trek 64

Star Trek: The Wand of Gamelon

Clearly this post should have been

Star Trek: A Link To The Past

Star Trek: Ocarina of Time

Star Trek: Majora's Mask

Star Trek: The Wand of Gamelon

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

ANBO-JYUTSU IS THE ULTIMATE MARTIAL ART, BUT DON'T USE THE HACHIDAN KIRITSU, ITS ILLEGAL! :japan:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

nine-gear crow posted:

Things that are Star Trek: TOS, TAS, The Movies, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, DIS, Short Treks, PIC, LDS, SNW, Prodigy, Section 31, and all the books, games, and comics

Things that are not Star Trek: ...

Jackie Chan Adventures?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Tighclops posted:

I knew Enterprise would abandon its premise completely by the end of the first episode when they suddenly had phaser weapons with the exact same audio and visual effects from Voyager

Like why even make a prequel if you're not even going to change that up

Remember when Enterprise had their first space battle and they were using these weird energy cannons that shot little red bolts and were kind of useless, and how they didn't even get all the way through Season 1 before they got standard Phasers and Photon Torpedos along with the Identical To Shield Armor Plating just so we could keep writing Space Battles the exact same way we always did?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Sash! posted:

I suspect there is a middle ground between "no AI" and "I DO NOT UNDERSTAND YOUR HUMAN EMOTION CALLED LOVE, THEREFORE I WILL EXTERMINATE ALL LIFE" when it comes to predictive analysis and response by a smart system.

You'd think, but if there's one thing Star Trek has proven conclusively in its AI Fiction its that such middle ground absolutely does not exist.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

HopperUK posted:

Trek youtubers I enjoy are Steve Shives and Jesse Gender. Neither of them is chuddy. It's always a matter of taste with youtubers though so no promises.

SF Debris is always good, although some of his older reviews throw out some unfortunate language because 00's Internet Culture. He's remastering some of them to get rid of that though

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Today I randomly remembered that when I was a kid I had two Star Trek vinyl records that had new original mini-episodes on them. I believe they were voiced by the cast of the animated series because M'ress was involved. I must have listened to them 100 times. There was one where an ambassador's escaped psychic pet was turning the crew's brains into cat brains, one where the crew was infected by a disease that made them laugh uncontrollably to the point it was endangering their health and the ship, one where the crew has to help some Federation colonists wrangle some space buffalos before they stampede and kill everyone, and one where the ship encounters a deep-space life form who exists as PURE SOUND and who's in danger of turning the crew deaf and destroying the ship through harmonic resonance.

Just thought I'd share.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Timby posted:

Just from decon gel scenes alone, Enterprise absolutely smokes Voyager on the hornometer.

They couldn't even wait an entire season to make an episode where the trailer's first words were "T'POL'S IN HEAT!"

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Marshal Radisic posted:

In retrospect, Activision did seem to be trying to spin Trek off into a wide range of game genres to see what would stick. We had FPSes with the Elite Force games, a third-person adventure game with Hidden Evil, an isometric squad tactics game with Away Team, an RTS with the Armadas, naval combat sims with Starfleet Command 3 and Bridge Commander, and even a 4X with Borg Assimilator, though that one never saw the light of day.

And yet somehow never an RPG. Idiots.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

V-Men posted:

I loved the 4X game, Birth of the Federation.

Same. But wasn't that just a reskin of some other 4x game?

Starfleet Command 1 and 2 were awesome. I never got around to playing 3 though.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Nitrousoxide posted:

This was the dumbest thing in the entire show and im sure the writers were patting themselves in the back with how clever they were

How DARE you insult Reed Alert! :argh:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

jeeves posted:

I wish Michael Burnham would just cry-ascend (crend) away from any future show or plot ever.

I must go now, my planet needs me

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Picard having to contemplate his legacy and mortality

Lol, yeah, all 3 minutes of that gem of a plot was great. There was more meat on the Data Acts Like An Obnoxious Toddler Because Of Emotions plot.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

bull3964 posted:

Then First Contact rolls around and Starfleet says he can't react rationally around the Borg, proves them right when he doesn't even try to save members of his crew which he knows can likely be rehabilitated in some way, then he endangers not only all that remains of his crew and the future of earth over revenge, culminating in a guilt driven suicide mission that that's only successful because Data just isn't all that into her.

Let's all have a heartwarming homecoming to the present, except of course for the dozens upon dozens of crew members that got either liquified or otherwise short circuited when the queen died.

And, also, the guy you machine gunned to death for the sheer thrill of it.

If First Contact had happened before I, Borg it would have made total sense

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

FlamingLiberal posted:

Sybok wasn’t retconned to be the reason why Spock became who he is

No, he just retconned Spock's father to have expressed bigotry toward his own newborn child and that overcoming THAT is the reason why Spock became who he is. Clearly a much lesser offense.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Typical Pubbie posted:

Are you being sarcastic? Because that is vastly better.

Yeah, Sarek being racist toward his own child is so much better a storyline, what was I thinking

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Animal-Mother posted:

So I had seen screencaps of the Nazi aliens from the Voyager two parter The Killing Game but I had never watched the episodes until recently. That's some pretty good Trek. Ethan Philips is clearly having a very good time as Klingon Neelix.

The Killing Game owns. One of Harry Kim's only good episodes, one of Voyager's best aliens, a classic Star Trek ideology-driven story, the way the story plays with tension both within and without the simulation world, that big finale when World War II breaks out into Voyager's hallways and Klingons fight Nazis, Neelix's Klingon character still being obsessed with cooking, whats not to like?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

YOU! THE ONE WHO DISLIKES GOWRON!

EXPERENCE BIIIIIIJ!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Kurzon posted:

If Section 31 was illegal, who was funding them, who was giving them legal authority and protection to do their dirty work? The idea of a totally illegal secret spy agency sounds cool but I don't think it could work in practice.

They were funding themselves (so much as such a thing is even necessary in the Federation) and nobody was giving them legal authority or protection, they were rogues. All they need is a couple of powerful benefactors and well-placed people who they've converted to their cause. Sloan considered Julian to be a 31 Agent just because he could manipulate him into going along with them from time to time.

Also, as we saw later, the thing that really made 31 so powerful in the Dominion War in particular was Starfleet and the Federation being desperate enough to look the other way. They of course SAY that they don't approve of what 31 has done, but when Julian works to UNDO it he's threatened and stonewalled because they're doing it to the enemy. As Odo says "Its a tidy little arrangement."

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 28, 2021

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

nine-gear crow posted:

Basically Season 3 of Enterprise. God, if Season 4 would have been the Year of Hell, then it would have been interesting to see how it would have shaken up all the big poo poo that went down in that year alone, like The Raven, Message in a Bottle and the entire Hirogen arc, Living Witness, and Hope and Fear. Fuuuck, that would have been a much stronger finale to the season and Year of Hell if Voyager just gets the poo poo kicked out of it and they manage to beat Annorax and the Krenim just barely, and the ship is just limping along like Galactica at the end of BSG, and then at the end of the episode as the season ending cliffhanger... they find the Dauntless.

I want a world where Kes had stayed around and had to deal with the fallout of knowing what was coming and her developing powers. I bet she would have been an interesting foil to Seven, especially since they both had unique relationships with the Doctor.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

multijoe posted:

Nah the writers were lazy hacks too for the most part, Ron Moore left in disgust after a couple of episodes because they sucked so much poo poo

The story that he tells about how he got brought on for Equinox (which is still one of my favorite Voyager stories) and how just that one two-parter and how they approached it was enough to ruin Voyager for him is so sad.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Terror Sweat posted:

Don't give me that Klingon poo poo, he's a larper that was raised in earth in fuckin Russia, he knows about labour movements

He may have been raised by a good non-com prole, but don't forget that he grew up knowing he was the son of a feudal noble with blood ties to the Imperial family.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Epicurius posted:

In canon Star Trek, 24th century earth has no money, everybody who wants to work can work at a job they enjoy or feel fulfilled at, and the average person can, if they want, live at a level of luxury far beyond our own. What's somebody on 24th century Earth going to know or care about labor movements?

I feel like the school curriculum must have a "Capitalism is really bad," unit somewhere, probably multiple somewheres, and one would assume the Labor Movements and their fight against worker oppression is part of that.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Like I said, Worf grew up romanticizing and idealizing a government based on some kind of modernized space feudalism in which he was the son of a landed noble with direct blood ties to the Imperial line. Its really not surprising that he's at best disinterested in Labor's plight. On the other hand we also know that he considered Martok to be a great hero of the Empire and considered it dishonorable for a fellow noble to look down on him and deny him even the opportunity to advance himself because of his common birth. I actually kind of wish we'd seen the argument that led to his brawl with O'brien, I bet it would have been really interesting.

Of course, in the plot of the episode Worf says that it wouldn't have come to that if he wasn't stressing out over living on the station in the first place, so maybe he was just zoning out.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

CharlestheHammer posted:

When I was in school they definitely taught that kingship was bad. They were never that blunt I guess but history was always presented as democracy as the next (and final really)evolution of politics.

I also live in a conservative state so it must have stung a bit

The evolution of Enlightenment ideas as a refutation of the divine right of kings and the rise of the concept of the Rule of Law both leading to Representative Government as a replacement for prior forms was certainly a deal in my 8th grade social studies class this year

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Brawnfire posted:

Is... It just a spiral? Are the icecaps gone? What?

To be fair, I could totally buy that in Star Trek they could terraform earth to the point of making Antartica temperate without affecting the rest of the planet SOMEHOW. Their terraforming tech is bananas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

The fact that Starfleet considered themselves explorers, scientists, diplomats and humanitarian relief workers PRIMARILY and expresses that self-perception when asked is actually a good thing beyond the semantics because it implies that they are trained to think of use of force as a last resort, as opposed to their primary mode of operation. Which bears out in the fiction.