Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Maybe somebody with more patience than me can make a better version of this

Post the original for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I can only get it down to 30kb before it looks like poo poo.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked the episode with Beverley Crusher getting trapped in the Warp Bubble. That one was cool. Just her breakdown as she grows more and more isolated.

"Computer, have I always been the only crew member aboard the Enterprise?"
"Yes, Dr"
"Computer, what is the Enterprise's mission?"
"To explore the furthest reaches of the galaxy"
"Do I have the expertise to perform this mission alone?"
"No Dr."
"Then why am I the only crew member?..."

You watching TNG fresh? That's exciting. Do continue to share your experience.

Powered Descent posted:

You've got to love Netflix's episode descriptions for Deep Space Nine. Whoever wrote them obviously watched nothing but the cold open before the credits, and summarized only THAT. It's gotten to be something of a fun game for the ones I don't recognize by title, trying to figure out what the hell episode this is just from the description.

Actual examples, just from the first two seasons:
  • "Traveling in a Runabout, Kira and Bashir pick up a distress signal from a disabled Kolibad ship."
  • "Sisko, Kira and Dax investigate readings of unusually high thoron emissions coming from the plasma field in their area of space."
  • "When a ramshackle alien vessel is detected making its way through the wormhole, the ship's four passengers are transported to Deep Space Nine."

Oh yeah, THAT episode. That's a great one.

I know they're silly, but I only use episode descriptions if I'm unsure if I had watched an episode recently and those are a half-decent spoiler-free way of doing so.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ro would probably count since she’s not quite a regular but more than just a recurring guest.

Her character is strange from a production point of view because it's clear they were setting her up for DS9 but they did all that without getting the go-ahead from the actress and she wasn't interested when offered.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Bloop posted:

Such diverse roles as Asian Wife and

lol
Soon-Lee Klinger: Korean
Keiko O'Brien: Japanese
Mulan's Mom: Chinese

I scanned through the cast list for Mulan and good on them for sticking to Chinese actors or actors of chinese descent.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The worst part about those mirror universe covers/panels that get posted is how almost every face looks like it's been copied in from a screencap and then digitally altered to "fit" the rest of the art.

That's exactly what happened. They're all traced. Everything in it is traced. There were examples in this thread at some point.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Brawnfire posted:

God drat, they thought about the Borg so, so little.

Why is it already covered in eye bits and cables and mechanical wotsits? It's a fetus, it's not even done developing yet, what possible advantage can there be to grafting technology onto it at this stage? Or is the technology developing apace with the fetus? Will a tiny little laser-retina form alongside the developing eye? Will a length of cable form and coil itself around the new spine like a morning glory?

I wish somebody had ever thought about the various attachments and what they represented in Borg functionality. They're all given the "one eye, one arm" Borging, but that's like having a toolbox full of multitools. Why did Picard need that poo poo to be Locutus? Why not just plug something into his brain and give him like, a digital voicebox? Whammo, that's it, he's just talking. You wasted an arm on Locutus, guys. Form from function, you're supposed to be efficient.

If there's one thing the Borg needs, it's every single thing about them to be explained to the audience. Leave no stone unturned. The more we see and the more we know about every detail the better.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Fat people are just still safe to make fun of without people realizing you're a piece of poo poo.

Crying "Virtue signalling" is a giveaway.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

curiousTerminal posted:

I just watched the episode where Tuvok lets Paris make a holographic fleshlight shaped like his wife and I'm 100% convinced that Tuvok would have never let Tom anywhere near a photograph of his wife the second that he mentioned creating a fuckable wife jpg had he not been in the middle of Vulcan gently caress Death

Do you think you need to specify to the computer that the holoprograms need to have genitalia or do you think it just automatically gives them to every creation?

Or does it read the situation and bestows fuckability on the fly? Who had to program that?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Bloop posted:

:same:

One second out of context clip :kingsley::kingsley::kingsley:

One second out of context clip: Let me explain why I can make fun of fat people because it's only a fictional character.

The Bloop posted:

Data doesn't look "normal" but we don't have any goddamn context

If they retcon him into always looking like a creepy doll though that would invalidate several of his undercover "I'm from south america" and "Mr Radioactive" bits

Weird continuity... in my Star Trek?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

.......oh, god, is that timeline supposed to imply that Ziyal is Kira's half-sister??

Where did you get that from? Ziyal and Nerys don't share any parents.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

BioEnchanted posted:

Ensign Seska is an idiot. That seems to be her entire character. Just Chaotic with not much else going on.

First time watching through?

BioEnchanted posted:

Of course, Seska's a cardassian. No wonder she's so chaotic evil for no real reason.

There it is. I would be delighted to hear all of your first time thoughts as you go through Voyager.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Comrade Fakename posted:

Hold up, hold up. Odd is effectively only 11 years old at the start of DS9?! He doesn’t remember anything before the Bajorans found him, so he’s only experienced eleven years of life. Jake Sisko is older than him!

Pretty sure they changed it up a bit by the time it was on the show. The script for the pilot said he was found in 2337 which is 32 years prior to DS9.

After Odo was found, he was studied for 7 years by Mora before Mora realized Odo was sentient. If we count this as Odo's "birth", he's probably 25 years of experience by the time DS9 started.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That's a cute thought but it can't possibly be true because Enterprise exists.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

curiousTerminal posted:

This is my Homestuck showing, but Seska is Vriska, like to a T. Setting aside the name for a second, she's an overly confident double-double-double crosser who is constantly disguising split second decisions for her own benefit as elaborate plans she's made, with a baffling crush on someone she hates. Also she's a megabitch.

You need to read another book (whatever the gently caress) and also not refer to a women as bitches.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

CptAwesome posted:

Is Dax a Klingaboo? Discuss.

Dax's host is kind of a Kangaroo.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Getting close to a massive object is a good way to go forward in time at an accelerated rate. No doubt about that.

Backwards is a no-no though.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I think the idea is that, if time slows down as you approach the speed of light, going faster than light reverses time.

It's really silly and meaningless anyway since nothing can exceed the speed of light. Just a quirk of the math if you input things you can't input.

It's like eating 200% of a pie means you're eating negative pie and what does that mean?!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I wouldn't be surprised. They did a lot early on to separate themselves from TOS.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Bloop posted:

Probably but flying right into one would have to cause a problem or two, and theoretically be less detectable or at least less traceable than a bomb

No, that's his point. Black holes that small would evaporate so fast and be capable of taking in only so much matter. Black holes aren't just some vacuum that suck everything.

Bringing real physics to Star Trek is silly. But man science education has failed us.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Bloop posted:

I know what black holes are thanks

No, you really don't. It's cool you took Astronomy 101 in community college and watched some YouTube videos but you still don't understand how black holes work.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Bloop posted:

Yeah I'm not claiming to be an astrophysicist but I certainly understand more than enough for a lay person and I'm learning more even now, no thanks to you acting like a colossal pillock

I mean, you're smart enough to write on Voyager before giving your science advisor a look at the script and then promptly ignoring anything he says because it doesn't make the story cool enough.

If you don't like being sassed back, then you shouldn't start the sassing. You don't have to be an astrophysicist. But literally nothing you've said about black holes has been realistic. It'd be better to make up some technobabble about something with no reference frame like the phasers or torpedoes so you don't have to try and say things like "throw microscopic black holes as weapons."

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, a microscopic singularity like that is really just a point of constant energy output. The masses starships would be working with would be so small to work as an energy source that you could fly right through it and it wouldn't leave a hole; less than half a million tons or so, with an event horizon far smaller than the radius of an atom. (Remember, you need tiny mass for appreciable energy radiated, large black holes don't emit much). An antimatter explosive, on the other hand, can release all its energy at once instead.

Anything big enough to make an actual gravitational field that could pose a threat probably couldn't be contained or cloaked or driven around.

I missed this post initially. But exactly. A black hole of half a million tons would be the size of an electron.

Now let's say you want to make a realistic weapon with your warbird. Just crash that sucker into a planet at a fraction of the speed of light and you'll sterilize that planet no problem with or without a microscopic black hole engine. How fast are Impulse Engines supposed to get you?

Zesty fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 7, 2019

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Golden Gael posted:

It seemed to me like they changed this halfway through the season even - the mirror universe Voq looks and sounds like a lot less of a knuckle-dragger compared to the one we see in the pilot and first few episodes. L'Rell of course is like this in season two, but I couldn't help feel the second round of Voq had different makeup than the first.

So I'm watching all the way through DS9 and Bareil is dead. I'm not upset about it, in fact I'm glad. Is he an especially popular character making me the rear end in a top hat here?

Are you watching it with Mission Log? That’s what they were on last week.

Power through and catch up to Greatest Gen.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

quote:

In the first draft script of "Body Parts", the Bajoran gestation period was referred to as four months.

The writing staff of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine wanted to make the symptoms of pregnancy different for Bajorans than for Humans. Writing staffer Robert Hewitt Wolfe suggested that a Bajoran expectant mother might emit a strong, stinky body odor. DS9 Showrunner and Executive Producer Ira Steven Behr loved the idea but believed it would be slightly too much of an effect, fearing that although he and the other members of the writing team found it funny, neither the executives in charge nor the feminist viewers in the audience would understand the humor of the stench.

loving. Christ.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What the what. Star Trek Discovery Writer fired "quit" for throwing around the N-Bomb.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/walter-mosley-quits-star-trek-discovery-using-n-word-writers-room-1237489

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Drone posted:

I did a nerdthing and bought a nerdthing.

It's one of the QMx prop-quality ones sold by Anovos. Sure it's just a hunk of metal and some magnets but I actually kinda like it :shobon:

Oof. 55 bucks for the Niners baseball hat.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You guys remember Past Tense?

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1174028929214140418

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Why do people always recommend skipping anything, let alone whole seasons? They're not making more Star Trek. Enjoy what you got and complain about the bad in here.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Anyone else still listen to Mission Log? One of the hosts is leaving. The one whose always complaining about DS9 not being real Star Trek.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

GenSpecific posted:

To whoever recommended A Stitch in Time, thank you. It was a great read and does a great job filling out Garak. And of course left me wanting more, so I guess it’s time for a ds9 rewatch.

Why isn’t there an ebook? Might have found it.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 30, 2019

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
All slugs are cougars.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
He's the first of TNG-era main cast to go.

I'm quite bummed out by this news.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What the gently caress? I've had enough of today. I demand a do-over until we get it right.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Early Christmas gift.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The replacement host on the Mission Log podcast seems like a swell guy. I think the show is going to go up in quality ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Looking for that Discord lifeboat