Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm reading the MA info about the development of Voyager and apparently these were the first draft character names

It's also very cringeworthy to read about the early production notes that referred to warring alien gangs as 'Crips and Bloods'

Well the Kazon was supposed to be analogous to street gangs iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Sash! posted:

Two humans turn into salamanders after going too fast.

What part of that sentence isn't completely insane?

Yeah it would have made more sense if they turned into crabs.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

Starting every episode with an intro that says "And they have a plan" and then it turns out that the cylon plan was that they thought god had a plan was pretty dumb. I honestly don't even remember why the cylons were attacking the humans. I was bummed that Caprica got cancelled, because that world was kind of interesting and I wanted to see more of it.

The Cylons wanted to figure out biological reproduction and needed human stock I think? But instead of just kidnapping random humans no one would miss among 12 planets of humans, they just had to go all exterminate on them.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

MikeJF posted:

That's from an official comic, apparently, Naomi was writing it in-universe.

I would back a Kickstarter of an actual episode of this. Get some of the cast back together for a Naomi Wildman written Voyager story.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Sir Lemming posted:

Generations does get worse every time I watch it. I'm usually prone to defend it based on some of its aesthetically pleasing aspects and my good memories of it as a kid. Maybe being deep into DS9 is part of why I'm colder to it now. (My wife already had the destruction of the Enterprise spoiled by "The Way of the Warrior". Now DS9 got the First Contact uniforms and I think they reference FC pretty soon, so I'm trying to get that in the tank ASAP.)

It's so incredibly clear that they rushed this thing. They had vague ideas of things they wanted and barely figured out how to tie them together. You really could make something good out of its parts with a few more drafts. Actually, the emotional scenes (re: Picard's family) played a little stronger for me this time around. But they're so wasted.

I find it hilarious because they spent months on the script of Generations and spent I think two weeks hammering out All Good Things....

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's actually not awful. Although they did a whole convoluted thing to bring Janeway back from the dead that I still don't even entirely understand.

It can't be worse than the Shatner novel where Kirk is brought back from the dead

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Veotax posted:

Looks like Amazon has picked up Lower Decks in a bunch of territories outside of the US. Show will be launching on January 22nd. Better late than never, I guess.

https://intl.startrek.com/news/star-trek-lower-decks-transports-to-amazon-prime-in-multiple-international-territories

Maybe I'll finally get around to finishing the show, pirating is too much effort these days.

Hopefully season 2 will air simultaneously with the US.

Consarnit why couldn't they use Netflix

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe battlestar can become a franchise and then we can watch that instead.

You mean Caprica or Blood and Chrome?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Instead of Picard becoming a synth they should have downloaded Data's consciousness into that new body since it gave them the excuse to have Data age and be more constrained to human capabilities. There's a lot of territory they could have mined with Data coming to grips with being a 'real human' (to the extent that the new body made that possible.)

I mean, if Brent didn't want to be involved in season 2, so be it. But this feels like it would have been better way to end the season. I mean FFS, they already had a magical McGuffin that could "fix" anything and they didn't even try to use it on Picard's brain.

I recall the impression that they did it on purpose so he would be "mortal".

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Space Above and Beyond stands up to the test of time

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

LongDarkNight posted:

M.A.N.T.I.S.

Oh hey show that had a black genius paraplegic as the main character. And it's equally awesome cousin Super Force.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

McSpanky posted:

I was watching the first K'Ehleyr episode again recently and it just struck me that Worf is like some kind of hyper-Klingon golem or something. He gets laid once and wants to bond for life? Does that ritual even exist in contemporary Klingon society? When Riker was on the Pagh those Klingon ladies probably weren't looking for husbands when they were eyeing him, and somehow I doubt their greater society operates on the strictest ultraconservative save-yourself-for-marriage values either.

That said, calling him a Klingaboo is pretty gross because, you know, he's actually a member of the race-slash-species he's cargo culting, which just makes it all the sadder. Someone could've asked the Klingon Empire for a cultural exchange visit at some point.

i got the impression that they almost got married once before and they walked away from it and Worf wants to pick up right where they left off and K'Ehleyr is all, "what dude no".

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Sash! posted:

Counterpoint: the whole thing being "Do you know why I pulled you over?" scene is awesome.

Also, it was always that way. Leia was always caught red-handed (Don't act so surprised, Your Highness.), Vader always knew she was a loving liar (You weren't on any mercy mission this time.), and Vader was always an eyewitness to her receiving the plans (Several transmissions were beamed to this ship by rebel spies. I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you.).

If Vader was capable of introspection, he'd be thinking "oh poo poo is what the Jedi Council felt like when they dealt with a young me?"

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Pick posted:

at this point it's there sentimentally since it's the last piece of my Original computer i got in middle school. it isn't hooked up it's just hanging out.

Is there still an AOL disk in there containing a crappy story written in Wordperfect?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

That's an absolute banger of a game collection tbh

Seriously Wing Commander, Alone in the Dark, and X-Com? hottdamn

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah the way Starfleet treats the Discovery is just completely nonsensical

You have a ship that can fix your problem of not being able to travel very far, and you send it into hostile situations multiple times? The gently caress???

In all fairness, Starfleet has a pretty long record for stupid deployment decisions.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

BonHair posted:

Anyway, what about board games? That seems like an ideal niche for Trek, but the only example I can think of is Star Catan (which is incidentally considered one of the best Catans I think). There's so many ways to mash Trek into a boardgame, and if it's mechanically sound, non-Trekkies will also buy it. You can do anything from lots of minis like Imperial Assault or even a Twilight Emperium knock-off to some puzzle type warp engine optimization thing and lots in between.

There's Allegiance, which is more of a wargame.

edit: Oh wait, I think Bone6 has it right.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

I loved the 4X game, Birth of the Federation.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Sanguinia posted:

Same. But wasn't that just a reskin of some other 4x game?

Starfleet Command 1 and 2 were awesome. I never got around to playing 3 though.

Was it? I enjoyed the combat system and don't recall it from any other game.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Axe-man posted:

Everytime i wish there was more TNG, season seven reminds me the well had run dry.

The garbage episodes were really garbage, the the season as a whole still stands up. Pegasus, Parallels, Preemptive Strike, Thine Own Self, Eye of the Beholder, and Lower Decks are all real good episodes.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Typical Pubbie posted:

Retconning the character of Spock to be the product of an obnoxious Mary Sue made my nerd blood boil. I could hear the cry of the forum warrior.

Is it really a retcon if it's a massive multiverse tho

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Mine is a holodeck episode where they play Dungeons and Dragons and get stuck inside it.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Nitrousoxide posted:

Of course that doesn't explain why factions that will happily use slave labor or are willing to sacrifice for the greater society (Borg, Dominion's Vorta and Jem'Hadar, even Cardassians who are supremely loyal to the State) wouldn't step up and become the new masters of the galaxy, being willing to risk themselves. Or why the use of automated, uncrewed, ships wouldn't become the norm just in case things do blow up again.

This is what happened in season 3??? The Emerald Chain was roughly an anti-Federation, and a better one than the Dominion was. It happily treated lives as property, had a policy of exploiting pre-warp worlds, but also had its own military and political structure. The writers didn't use it properly, but they did give the impression it was larger than the Federation.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

As to Romulan artificial singularity, there's no reason to assume the Romulans in Disco use the same because it's never mentioned and I don't think it's expressly stated that Disco is in the Prime timeline.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Timby posted:

Discovery was announced to be in the Prime timeline right around the time that the first premise / story details were announced. That's one of the reasons the second season ended with Spock's absurd plan of "uh, okay, we're going to say the Discovery blew up, and we pinky swear not to discuss the Discovery, the spore drive or the batshit insane AI we just defeated with anyone, ever, under penalty of treason," it was to lampshade why the ship and its tech never came up in prior series.

Edit: Pike also sees his destiny of going from original recipe to extra crispy, as opposed to dying in a conference room shootout straight out of The Godfather Part III. Discovery is Prime, not Kelvin.

Oh yeah. i double checked something and I mis-remembered that them mentioning the Narada in Disco was noting that a dude popped over from another universe.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

This is impossible when Lwaxana exists

This is impossible when Neelix exists.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

-Bajor asked for it
-There's a clear distinction made on TNG between societies that have warp capability and those that don't.

They do also point out that with regard to the species in the episode 'First Contact', they are about to develop warp drive and therefore the Federation is taking an interest in them which is why Riker was there undercover to see how their society was responding.

I assume there's also a good faction on the Federation Council that's all "let's help Bajor because gently caress Cardassia". Also since Bajorans have probably been cultivating Federation help. I recall in one of the early Ro episodes where they mention an unofficial ambassador that Bajor trots around to Federation events.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Martytoof posted:

In the DS9 episode where Garak and Worf go to the Gamma Quadrant to find Tain, Sisko says something about Starfleet being spread thin between the Klingon war and recent Borg attacks. I don't remember any Borg attacks in DS9 -- is this referencing something in a concurrent Trek series or did they just make up something for him to say?

e: Oh wait, S5 was like 1996 -- is he talking about the events of First Contact I guess? It's been so long since I watched that movie I forgot it existed.

The attack on Earth is only six years after Wolf 359. MA says roughly 60 ships were lost between both battles, which at the time I doubt Starfleet was cranking out that many ships per year. So yeah I imagine Starfleet was mighty thin.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Does the holodeck replicate real food and drink if you asked for food there?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You don’t need to see Bashir and O’Brien flying over the channel in Spitfires, just slap costumes on them and have them toast their dead wingman at the bar.

No I'm pretty sure I need to see that.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

John F Bennett posted:

At this point I would rather rewatch ENT than VOY, which I am planning to do after my current TNG run.

Speaking of, I'm about to finish S5 of TNG and man, what a fantastic season that is. It must be the best one so far, what do you guys think? I haven't watched TNG since the 90's so I've forgotten most of it and don't remember how S6+S7 were.

Honestly I feel like VOY has good Star Trek episodes, even if they're incredibly rare.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is the first time I've heard that people really don't like Silicon Avatar

Same with Ethics.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

John F Bennett posted:

Just watched The Inner Light, what an absolute life changing event that must be for Picard. Is it ever discussed or referred to again later? That has to have a huge mental impact on a person.

A fantastic episode.

He can be seen practicing that flute instrument in other episodes.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

Picard got exactly two vacation days in his career, Captain's Holiday and Family, and look how those turned out.

Wasn't Gambit also another personal day?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

HD DAD posted:

He was adorable in that one Doctor Who episode where he played a Russian scientist. All he wanted to do was just listen to his Ultravox cassette :3:

There's an episode of Gargoyles where he's basically just acting against himself. He voices a character who spends an entire episode interacting with a future version.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Terminator Genesys makes most Trek novels look like Moby Dick

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Timby posted:

Well, it's not like Movie Troi was written with any sort of characterization, so you really can't blame Sirtis for just showing up, delivering her lines and snacking (and, let's face it, probably getting hammered) at craft services.

I love the Text from TNG where the caption is about "how she's so hammered she feels like someone kicked her in her balls. Her lady balls cause she's a lady" because I can imagine drunk Troi slurring it.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

jeeves posted:

All of those ships that desperately need white dudes to captain them make me remember like... why doesn’t Starfleet have way more ships? If like scarcity is not so much of an issue and you can commission giant fuckoff Galaxy class cruise ships, wouldn’t starfleet have a ton of smaller ships?

Why hadn’t the entire Milky Way been invaded by tiny federation ships all relating data home?

I guess maybe peeps get really lazy with holodecks and replicators?

I imagine a chunk of that has to do with how far ships can be away from the nearest port for external repairs, refit, radiation sweeps, shore leave, etc. I think STB touched on this the most with its five year mission in deep space really being "we're out there so much we basically haven't seen anyone else who isn't crew".

Basically if Starfleet did that all its crew would turn into Voyager's crew.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

MikeJF posted:

Although hell, even the larger Parliament Class in Lower Decks was considered to be a prestigious posting and it was specialised for large-scale engineering projects.

One issue is that we never saw the level of civilian day-to-day non-starfleet ships and traffic that would be necessary for something like the Federation. At the start of TNG they were on the frontier but later on we moved closer in and of course there was DS9 in general and we still didn't see the kind of expected constant space civilian operation.

Do they take a turbolift through the nacelles to get to where I assume Engineering is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Kurzon posted:

I got some more nitpicking on silly plot holes. In Undiscovered Country, once the Enterprise crew uncovers the conspiracy to sabotage the peace talks, why didn't they just send a quick message to Khitomer to warn them of a possible assassination attempt?

I guess because they couldn't be sure who in Starfleet was part of Cartwright's people and if any message would even make it?

On the point about the available space for people in a Galaxy class, I was going to make a snide comment about just using the holodecks to create a whole city for people to live in but now I'm curious if the holodeck has a max safety occupancy? Like did Worf's brother have to disable some safety protocols to bring all those refugees onto the Enterprise?