Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone got particular hopes for the unrevealed returning stages? From what I understand we're expecting 10 or more stages (based on a dev comment that Mania will have more then generations) with another dev comment saying that a majority will be returning/remixes. With what's revealed so far, we've seen something from Sonic 1, 2, 3&K (or specifically S&K) and CD - assuming only 10 stages and a 6/4 split there's 2 more returning stages to be seen. One is probably an S3 stage?

Even though we did just get it in the S2 mobile port, I kinda want to see S2 Hidden Palace, maybe as a secret level / bonus for collecting the emeralds. (Apparently one of the original plans in S2 was you'd got there to unlock super sonic?) The other stages I'd want to see return would be Launch Base and Starlight, but it feels like those have overlap with stuff already in Mania, so I'm going to wager we'll see Ice Cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm still being a contrarian and hoping they 2D-ize a 3D stage.

I can't imagine that'd happen with what they're aiming for with Mania being a love letter to the 2D era, but man, I'd be totally down for that sort of thing for a Mania 2. Even though we got a bit of it in Generations, I'd love to see some of those stages re-imagined in Mania's art.

Augus posted:

S3 zone is probably Hydrocity.
It'd feel weird if they doubled up on stages for any games but if they did Lava Reef would be an A+ pick.

Oh dang, I forgot about Lava Reef. I'd love to see what they'd do for the remixed version.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

Give me 2D Egg Fleet from Heroes.

Now that I think of it, it's super disappointing that this wasn't the stage they used in Mania.

Hell, Heroes had a bunch of good stage themes, it's such a shame the game just isn't that fun.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone have sonic rom hack recommendations beyond Megamix and Sonic 2 Long (I think thats what it was called)? I've been playing a bit of Sonic 3 Complete and I'm curious what else has been done since I last looked into the rom hack scene.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Playing Sonic CD right now and my opinions are changing on it a bit. Between the soundtrack, no pits (except one), and the general easiness, it's easily the chillest Sonic game.:cool:

I think I'd like CD more if getting to the past wasn't a pain / I wasn't terrible at it. I can never manage to make good futures or get a good ending.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I still have no idea what happens if you don't get to a switch in time.

you die in real life and the game cart becomes haunted

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

I haven't heard about it but this is Taxman and Stealth we're talking about here. If you have to ask "does it have _______ from the old games?" then the answer is "yes"

Lock-on technology?

I'm almost sad Knuckles is in the base game - now we won't get a 6 level "& Knuckles" Lock-on expansion dlc.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

I have an important announcement to make.

I have just gathered the seventh chaos emerald in sonic 2 before finishing aquatic ruin act 2. I didn't save scum, or purposefully die. I beat all 7 on my first try like a complete badass...it was epic. I have never done this in my entire life before...here's proof in case anyone doubts my power.

Probably not as impressive, but I got super sonic at marble garden in Sonic 3 without save scumming or purposeful deaths in my current playthrough of Sonic3C. Never been much good at getting the super emeralds though.

I remember as a kid the only way I could get all the emeralds was by playing on a completed save file and just going to the first ring in Angle Island again and again.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is there any retail version besides the collectors edition? If not they should just activate the game on all platforms, since its not like its competing with physical sales.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

and while AM2R comes close to an official product's level of ambition, it has some serious balance and difficulty problems.

I've heard all about Uranium's problems, is there somewhere I can read about this? Curious to see an analysis/thoughts. I remember having a bit of trouble with one or two bosses, but otherwise really enjoyed AM2R.

It certainly feels like Sega is really pushing/supporting Mania - it feels so strange after like, a decade of not knowing what to do with Sonic. I just hope they keep the momentum and let Taxman and Co. do more with Sonic. There's a part of me that worries that this is going to be a one time deal regardless of how well it does - like is "Mania 2" too weird with how Mania is this special nostalgia tribute to the old games?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sorry, I structured that sentence poorly, I was asking for information about A2MRs balance issues. That LP is why I'm familiar with Uranium being a nightmare, it's fantastic.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Just a hunch, but I don't think this is going to be the last time the Taxman and Stealth work on a Sonic game. I think this game will succeed and there will be more.

Sega not doubling down on the success of Generations has left me nervous.

TFRazorsaw posted:

And Mania getting a follow up really depends on how well it sells. After Colors' and Generations' success, if there's one thing that Sega's shown themselves to be good at, it's following the money.

I mean, their response to being asked about Generations 2 would happen was "nah, we want to do something different' and we got that bad Mario Galaxy knockoff.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kurieg posted:

Forces is them coming back to the Generations well, after the flops of Lost world and Boom.

Good point. Forces seems to be the right direction, I just hope it's actually good/fun.

Larryb posted:

I'd actually kind of like to see them try and tackle a 3D game one day as well, just to see if they could manage to pull it off.

A Mania style game for the Adventure series/era could be cool. I really like how the extra missions and chao gave Adventure 2 a lot of replay value.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ComposerGuy posted:

So are we looking at the standard 2-Act structure for the levels? Or is each one something that is just a one-off?

I think they all have two acts - returning stages were sold as the first act being a mostly familiar mixup of the original zone, with second act being new gimmicks. (Chemical Plant Act 2 was shown has having a mechanic where you turn some chemical water into bouncy goo)

I don't see why new zones would only be a 1 act deal.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

wtf

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ugh, why couldn't it have been the PS4 version or some poo poo like that?

Glad I have a Switch, I guess Ill get it there but man, what a bummer, I didn't really want to buy it twice.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ugh, the free sonic 1 isn't even the taxman version. What's the point.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

If they're announcing it NOW, it's probably a down to the wire thing.

Just sucks that the PC version was down to the wire but the Switch version was so ready people were able to download it early.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kurieg posted:

If they're having issues porting Mania to Pc I doubt they could just magically throw together a port of Taxman 1 to PC in the meantime.

I mean, I'd have been happy getting the announcement that Taxman S1&2 are coming to PC, and Mania PC pre-orders are getting a free one of those, even if it's not right away.

I want those versions on PC more then I want a free copy of Sonic.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

What we're saying is that isn't really feasible at all. Sonic 1 and 2's remakes may have been developed on PC hardware, but they're optimized for mobile. They can't get new versions of them ready and out the door in two weeks, especially while the team is busy finishing another game.

"Port buttons" aren't a thing that exist.

Not sure if you're responding to me, but I'm saying news that they plan to put those version out on PC in the future would have made me happier then a free copy of sonic 1. Like, I just want them to address that people want those versions on a non-mobile platform. But maybe that would have been inappropriate when they were announcing a delay.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm thinking about refunding it on Steam since I'm gonna be picking it up on switch, and then I realize I'll probably want it on PC as well because achievements.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

I didn't like any of them, so there's that. They're not good games and Dimps is not a good game studio.

I more or less agree but Advance 1 is more or less fine, if a little bland. It doesn't suffer the bullshit "trick or die" death pits 2 has, nor is it a giant mess like 3 was.

The special stages / emerald collection of Adv1 is criminally bad though.

TFRazorsaw posted:

How easy or difficult is it to add DRM? Whether Whitehead was talking about something else or not, it seems kind of weird that people think they could add that in just two weeks.

I have no idea why people think they'd do a last minute delay for DRM. If it's got any, they likely would have planned it from the start, I can't see why the switch version being downloadable via code early would prompt that move.

Does the Sonic CD re-release have any DRM?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Do I need to do anything for the free Sonic 1 for the PC Mania delay? Hasn't shown up in my steamlist yet.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

I'm sorry, but why is the PC getting a two week delay? Port blues?

Yeah, some last minute optimization issue or something.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

Freedom Planet is Ken Penders: The Game.

I hope you mean this only as criticism of the original characters / story aspects. The gameplay is pretty solid and not deserving of a comparison to Penders.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

man nurse posted:

Wait, it's out on PS4 right now??

Only for Australia I think?

Ugh, my team lead really wants me in-office tomorrow. Was hoping to work from home or take the day off. :(

I can't believe I'll have to wait till the end of the day to play it like a normal person.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 14, 2017

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It's not like there's never been an edgy Sonic story, or cringey sonic dialog or lovely fancharacter like designs.

Silver makes me irrationally mad. Everything about him is terrible. He's basically Knuckles but worse in the way he's tricked to think Sonic is bad. The one upside to superfluous sonic buddies is at least seeing new animals, so a hedgehog but with a potleaf hairdo is about the lamest thing. I'll never not believe they made him because they wanted to make use of the physics engine.

That aside, I'm super happy Mania appears to be reviewing well.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sterling's shtick is weird but I do like that he's generally a very extremely pro-consumer voice.

Evil Eagle posted:

Hearing that you can make an Australian eShop account if you want to play mania right now

big if true.

Is there any limitations if you buys stuff on switch with with different eshop accounts or w/e?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone find out if the Australian e-shop account thing works?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

should have went with "Good Future"

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is there any reason certain zones don't get transitions? Almost feels weird some zones with have complex act to act transitions, then no zone to zone.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I couldn't figure out how to get to the big ring in Mirage Saloon Act 1.

Also, I got Act 2 done a lot faster then most other stages.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Emerald #5 seems like its where things get tough, I did the first 4 on my first try and I've had a few attempts at #5 with no luck.

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Yeah, I tried that and died. And I hadn't hit the checkpoint. So I decided to never try that again and figured the lightning shield was easier. I must've just messed it up.

Exactly what happened to me.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Huh I thought the UFO special stage was just a reference to Sonic CD's special stages Since there's basically elements from all special stages in there.

Also, is it just me or are speed shoes kind of rare? I think the first I found was on a replay. Also, there's speed shoe music rather then sped up level music, game is ruined.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

PenguinKnight posted:

I found a pair in FBZ that was behind a gate, and I think that was it. Has anyone else noticed that the invincibility boxes are in places where it goes to waste? A lot of the ones I've found like in FBZ and PBZ have all been with platforming challenges, with barely any enemies. So either placement is weird or I'm going through levels weridly, probably the second.

I found an invincibility box that let me cross lava and a gauntlet of exploding enemies to get to a big ring in LRZ, and there's one in GHZ Act 1 on a lower path that you can get right before the boss. Some might be placed oddly, but there's deinfitely some really delibertely placed ones.

Also, in GHZ, there's a fire shield shortly after one of the wooden spikey spinning things, back tracking to burn it down gets you a bunch of monitors.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

That's what Super Tails and Knuckles have always looked like, and Sega has been pretty clear that they want Super Sonic and the other hedgehogs as the only character whose super modes are canon and unique looking.

From a page back, but I wanted to gripe about this. This is one of the things about modern sonic that annoys me the most. It wouldn't even be so bad if it was just "Sonic goes super sonic to save the day" / sonic gets a bonus stage as super sonic, but the whole "hedgehogs are special and are the only ones who can do things with the chaos emeralds" is dumb and annoying. Plus, where's Super Amy?

Let Tails and Knuckles be cool and important! They've been around longer then Shadow and Silver.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

Super Tails and Super Knuckles were just them flashing to a color somewhat different from their main ones. They don't get a changed appearance like Super Sonic or anything. Tails couldn't even use the normal emeralds. They've always been treated as "lesser" than Super Sonic, it's not just a modern Sonic thing.

Like I said, I'm not as bothered about it being special to Sonic, what I think is dumb is it being canonically special to Hedgehogs.

I also felt like S3&K giving Super Tails and Knuckles was "correcting" the fact it was missing from S2/S3. Lesser is better then non-existent as well.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

I've beaten the game with Sonic + Tails on one save and Knuckles on the other and I have yet to see the game over screen. I probably never will, I have 30+ lives on my Sonic save. The guy who leaked the game was insanely terrible. How do you game over in Oil Ocean 12 times? He was also from 8 chan and kept using racial slurs. He was probably a Nintendo kid. *drops the mic*

Yeah, didn't get a single game over on my Sonic & Tails playthrough, and I consider myself to be bad at video games. I keep hearing people say the Oil Ocean 2 Boss gives them trouble and I'm wondering what's tripping them up. I can see the level gimmick giving people trouble though

Although I'll admit other bosses gave me some troubles. Is there any tricks to the Ninja guy? I felt like I'd always get hit when trying to get hits on him. Can the stars be killed before they explode, or is that only because I was in invulnerability frames?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Enable & Knuckles mode then level select to the true final boss as knuckles for a hidden ending :allears: It's worth it.

Just got it legit and stumbled upon it and man that's a good rear end final boss, even if it took me a few tries.

How do I know I've done it right? I activated & Knuckles in the secrets screen then when back to the title for level select but didn't have a buddy knuckles.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

what you just described is 06's normal gameplay and mach speed sections

Don't the Mach Speed sections work a bit differently then Unleashed/Generation's style boost gameplay?

Like Mach Speed forces you forward / rushes you, the others just encourage fastness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Same. 1 and 2's are so bad and annoying to even get into, let alone complete. Taxman's Sonic 2 does immensely improve on them though by remaking them without the lovely prerendered track.

I've said it a million times but those and a potential Taxman Sonic 3&K need to be released on consoles. The widescreen and better framerate improve the games so much that the originals are kinda unplayable for me now.

2's aren't too bad to get into, but I'm not a fan of them, they feel too unforgiving and it honestly it feels like you need to know the layout if you want to stand a chance past the second emerald.

I'd buy a Taxman 1-2-3&K collection for PC/Console in heartbeat. I want those 1&2 ports on something that isn't mobile.