Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I'm crying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

azurite posted:

Did they ever fix the PC version to include analog controls?

I don't believe so, still 8-direction afaik.

I wanted to point out that Naka and Ohshima's new game, Balan Underworld, is not an Xbox exclusive and is also coming to PS4, Switch, and PC. So everyone can play it.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Larryb posted:

The fact that they’re calling it Sonic Colors Ultimate makes one think that there’s going to be some new content. But we’ll see I guess.

There was some leaked art of Sonic Colors Ultimate that showed the Jade wisp from Team Sonic Racing, so that indicates that there is at least something added to the game.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Hmm I looked back and it was shown to me through private chats and I don't see that it's publicly known so my apologies, you'll have to trust me on this for now. Hopefully we get some official announcements soon.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

A Cup of Ramen posted:

How does one go about reading the IDW comics anyway, can I just go to their website and pay a sub to read through them all or what?

I've been reading them for free by borrowing digital eBooks from my library via the Libby app. It works great and they look beautiful on my iPad.

The downside of course is they don't have the most recent stuff I guess? But I'm on volume 5 or 6 now and going through them slowly.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Larryb posted:

I wonder if Coleen’s still going to voice Tails in this movie like she did at the end of the last one or if they’ll replace her with a slightly more well known actor/actress

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Augus posted:

huh, that was quick. wonder what changed his mind

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

My old-school Sonic online friend group is going to watch this live together for the first time in our 24+ years together. Trying to keep my expectations to nothing. I'll be happy or indifferent to whatever they show. At least that's what I keep telling myself...

40 minutes!

EDIT: Here are the links btw. Twitch is usually several seconds ahead of YouTube from my experience with the PlayStation streams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwjPEcWU5Fc

https://www.twitch.tv/sonic

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

It’s up on PSN. Some more details there. $40 for standard and $45 for digital deluxe.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0177-CUSA19345_00-SONICCOLORSULTIM

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Pre-Order Now For Bonus Items -
- Early Access - Hit the ground running and experience Sonic Colors Ultimate early
- Exclusive Player Icons - Stand out from the crowd with your own exclusive player icons

Digital Deluxe also includes -
- Ultimate Cosmetic Pack - Customize Sonic and stand out with exclusive gold and silver gloves and shoes, an electric boost and aura from the hit Sonic movie and exclusive Sonic movie themed player icons
- Ultimate Music Pack - 3 exclusive original game remixes to set the pace for you while you put an end to Dr. Eggman

The evil Dr. Eggman has built an interstellar amusement park – but he’s powering it with a captured alien race called “Wisps.” Use Sonic’s speed to free the Wisps and gain their amazing powers as you explore six unique worlds, filled with hurdles to overcome. Now with stunning upscaled visuals, additional features, new game modes, and enhanced gameplay - it's the Ultimate Sonic Colors experience

Sonic Colors: Ultimate Digital Deluxe includes the Ultimate Cosmetic Pack (Customize Sonic and stand out with exclusive Gold and Silver gloves and shoes, an electric lightning effect from the hit Sonic movie, and exclusive Sonic movie themed player icons), and the Ultimate Music Pack (3 exclusive original game remixes to set the pace for you while you put an end to Dr. Eggman), as well as early access and your own exclusive player icons.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I'm probably going to do the same. It helps that I've never played through Sonic Colors so it's a new game to me.

Thank goodness.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Yeah on PSN it's listed as a 9/6/21 release, and the Digital Deluxe is 9/2/21. So the day after each of those if we're assuming a midnight/late night release on those dates.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

So how long has it been since the last release of Sonic 3? I guess this means they finally settled the soundtrack issue with MJ's estate.

Maybe Sonic 3 & Knuckles on Steam, which was released in 2011?

And I'm going to guess that this new release will probably change the music out to avoid any rights disputes. So prepare yourselves for that.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Larryb posted:

Didn’t they already change the music for a PC release of the game a long while back?

Yes, Sonic & Knuckles Collection in 1997 (and my first exposure to the game). It used what is now known as the beta songs to replace the disputed MJ tracks.

So maybe they'll use those, or maybe they'll have Tee Lopes remix them or make some new songs. Either way I think it's unlikely we'll have the original tracks in any official releases going forward, unfortunately!

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Yeah, I just use "MJ" as shorthand for the whole situation with MJ and Brad Buxer and their teams.

Nobody knows full details but the fan speculation is that the rights were in murky gray legal space so that's why Sonic 3&K stopped being included in compilations or released for 10 years now, because doing so with the original music would be a rights violation, and doing so with new music would be an admission of guilt of sorts about having used it in the past. So who knows what this new one will be.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I'm most excited for Origins so I can finally have all the classic Genesis games in one place on both PlayStation and Switch. Finally.

I'm also excited for Colors since I never played that one but I'm keeping my expectations in check for that. I don't hate the boost formula but I don't really love it either. I beat Unleashed earlier this year and kind of hated it.

I have zero feelings about Rangers for now until we see some more real info on it. I'm keeping my expectations low haha. It's sad that the best we can hope for is a passable, competent game. :P

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

What Whitehead and others are currently working on is not officially known. Iizuka mentioned Whitehead by name in this recent interview with GI so that seems a little telling to me.

https://www.gameinformer.com/interview/2021/06/13/sonic-team-head-talks-sonic-origins-next-mainline-game-and-30th-anniversary

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Larryb posted:

I assume it isn’t Rangers since 3D games don’t really seem to be in their wheelhouse but that gives me some hope at least (maybe they’re involved with the Origins Collection or something)

No, to be clear I kind of infer that this means Whitehead and collaborators are working on something else that hasn't been announced yet. Or maybe they're working on the Origins Collection but I kind of don't think that's the case. They're definitely not involved with Rangers, which is being made by Sonic Team.

ArfJason posted:

one of them was working on a project called vertebreaker or some other pun name. it was a skeleton with a whip

This was Simon Thomley's company, Headcannon. It had a Kickstarter that failed and I'm not sure if it's being actively worked on anymore.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Don't forget the Sonic 30th Anniversary Symphony/concert is tomorrow at 3PM Eastern. It will also feature performances by Crush 40 and Tomoya Ohtani's band, which apparently doesn't have a name.

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1403093007100825609

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

That was so, so good! Way longer and much more content than I was expecting. What a treat!

This really is the best Sonic-produced thing since Sonic Mania lol.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Christian Whitehead welcomed a new developer to their team and said "Here's to our most ambitious work yet" :stare:

https://twitter.com/CFWhitehead/status/1421100797006286858?s=19

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Off the Idris topic, Sonic and Tails will be playable in the upcoming Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania. Already teased previously but here's the announcement trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE7p9CS2dzk

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I'm posting this since the topic is relevant. Some friends of mine have a new-ish weekly podcast about Sonic the Hedgehog, and the episode that released today is coincidentally also about special stages. And the episode that released last week had Pat Casey as the guest, one of the cowriters of the Sonic movie and the upcoming movie sequel. It's pretty good if you like Sonic way too much, and I think some of the cool Sonic posters in this thread may like it too!

https://anchor.fm/ghz-podcast/episodes/17-Idris-Elba-Special-Stages-e15t6es

That Anchor link has links to the podcast on Spotify, Apple, and Google if you prefer any of those other services.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

beep by grandpa posted:

just did all of sonic mania's blue sphere stages for the first time since launch and had a great time

whoever designed this stage, ya mom's a ho

That's the one that took me the most attempts. gently caress that stage.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

https://twitter.com/johnny_gioeli/status/1428018287561089029

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Looper posted:

what's the issue...? he's in my copy

mods??

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I understand from a business perspective why they have to make a Switch version of all these games, but Sonic Team hasn't been a good or even competent game developer in a long time, and unfortunately I think the Switch hardware limitations are holding them back. It would be nice if they could focus on making a game for more powerful hardware but that will definitely not happen, and even if it did, they made Sonic 2006 for only next-gen systems at the time.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

https://twitter.com/Bit_Bolt/status/1461697510183825408

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Augus posted:

Why is Geoff Keighly talking like he wants to suck off Sonic the Hedgehog

He does, and he has.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

EA Sports posted:

here's hoping we get a sonic the movie: the game based on the movie.

They're going to rename Sonic Origins to Sonic the Hedgehog 2: The Movie: The Games.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I liked the original design better.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

The movie looks good! The game will probably be bad. Wish they weren't cross-developing for Switch.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

They should try to make a good, technically competent game over trying to appeal to the broadest audience possible imo, but I understand the dictating market and business realities make this unviable.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Robot Style posted:

The Sonic Rangers leak from a while back mentions a "ghost girl" who refills Super Sonic's rings, and that the Chaos Emeralds are found in "cyberspace" zones, so maybe she (everyone?) is trapped there for some reason.

Some info I saw on a game news website last night and maybe got pulled is that the voice is Amy, and Sonic's friends need to be rescued in the AI world or wherever the hell he ends up.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Larryb posted:

I believe it’s also available on PS4 and Xbox One as well.

It's definitely not on PS4 but it seems to be on Xbox One.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Simpler version of that terrible official table of versions from Sega.

https://twitter.com/LephemStar91/status/1516809135232360451

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Larryb posted:

On a similar note, is it true that Naka is not technically the “father” of Sonic either (and if so, who should mostly be credited with the character’s creation)?

Naoto Ohshima was the character designer, and Hirokazu Yasuhara was the game planner and level designer on Sonics 1 and 2. Yuji Naka was the programmer and the guy who made the engine and physics work in the Genesis games. So arguably all three of these people can be equally credited with being the "father" of Sonic but Naka (in)famously has taken most of the credit for it and seemed to assume the title in the zeitgeist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I met Iizuka and Naka (and Aaron Webber) at an event several years ago. Naka was a little quiet and awkward and spoke only through a translator but was overall nice and pleasant.

Iizuka, despite my feelings on the quality of the series output under his reign, I could not help but like. He was a very happy, energetic guy who repeatedly tried to engage me in conversation in English when he saw what a big fan I was. Great guy.