Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
I love this game, and it's one of my Kickstarter backings that has paid the most dividends in terms of fun, fury and frustration. 's a good game. Y'all should buy it if you haven't. Try to play along. See how swiftly the tides turn. :unsmigghh:

Anyway, sign me up as Cinos the Highwayman! Yes, that's only one choice for me, as he is one of the many Kickstarter heroes that you can get by doing the following.

quote:

1. Visit the Stage Coach
2. Press ENTER, type your hero's name, and press ENTER again
3. Your hero will appear in the list of recruitable heroes. Drag them into your roster!

I also challenge you to make use of my personal Kickstarter trinket "Scion's Resolve", as it is a hard mode kind of trinket. You can get it by doing this:

quote:

1. Enter the Hamlet in game
2. Open your Trinket Inventory
3. Press ENTER
4. Type your trinket's name.
5. Press Enter again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Highwang posted:

For those who care about such frivolities, I've added a spreadsheet with recruitment data to the OP

So many gloryseekers. Fills my dark heart with glee.

Sounds like there's room for more dark runs to me. :allears:

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Highwang posted:

A bit of a heads up, I will not be accepting people that don't put in the effort to specify at least one class. What good is a soldier that knows not his lot in life?

fibio posted:

Well I've never got past week five on this game, so I'll throw my head into the ring. Sign me up for whatever.

Scrub man fibio sounds like he needs to start paying attention. Maybe then scrub man will feature prominently in Highwang's Dark LP for Doomed Adventurers. :colbert:

(You gave up at week five? That's... okay. Fair enough. You'll want to be looking for good party/skill combos and study how Highwang deals with monsters. Remember, stuns are your friend.)

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

gatesealer posted:

I started playing again thanks to this LP. I think the game hates my more than normal. It refuses to give me more healers. I have only 1 and it's too high level to go on the low level missions.

Advice for runs without a main healer: Buy lots of food and chow down on the extra in-between fights. Buy self-healing skills for those characters that have them (and keep in mind the Arbalest and Crusader's lesser party heals; these do not work as well as the Occultist's or Vestal's heals, but can combine with other party members' self-heals to make do). Play with a mindset to stun and kill monsters as quickly and reliably as possible to minimize damage (a dead monster deals no damage and a monster that never had its turn is the best kind of monster) and place trinkets that will help with either this (+dmg, +spd, +stun) or will help protect from the monsters' inevitable counter attacks (+dodge or +hp and +prot in a pinch). Use of campfire skills on medium and long runs to heal back up and/or bolster stats for a few fights (and for +scout +surprise, -ambush chance) is also useful, if not essential.

Keep in mind that it should be perfectly possible to run low level missions of small to medium length without a dedicated healer, and possible, if trickier, to run long missions. It gets harder on higher level missions, but even there you don't need a healer if you know what you're doing and you don't get screwed by the RNG. In low to mid level missions you can (to great effect) spam the Man-At-Arm's Bolster (+dodge for everyone) skill and have enemies quickly start whiffing at your party more often than not, especially if you equip +dodge trinkets on top. One can also combine the Houndmaster's Guard Dog and the Man-At-Arm's Defender to get dodge-tanking and tough-tanking coverage of the entire party.

Damage cannot be entirely avoided, but it can be mitigated. Do not be afraid of retreating if the RNG gets uppity and things start looking bleak. Live to fight another day and sell off some trinkets for the cash to supply the next mission, rather than take risks that will lose you good personnel just so you can complete that one last fight. Overconfidence, etc.

RickVoid posted:

Also he's basically maxed out on bad Quirks now, right?

You'd think, but no. Kinda no. Bad quirks that aren't locked can get replaced with better/worse bad quirks.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

citybeatnik posted:

Had a similar issue. Got around it by focusing on heroes that have either self heals or minor party heals and absurd amounts of food.

Incidentally, one of my own favorite party lineups uses this. 1 jester, 3 abominations. Fatso The Bardster eats all the food with a poo poo-eating grin while the abombers blow everything to pieces, fueled only by crumbs and body horror.

KirbyKhan posted:

The quirks he does have that dont have the little skull next to them can be replaced with other quirks.

To me, ol dude would have been fired after Kleptomaniac got 'locked' in. I aint paying 10,000g just so you can go to Betty Ford to get Renauld's stealing habit under control.

That's how you get the Weeding Out The Weak achievement, though. Which - and I know this is a controversial opinion - is for the weak. Roll with the punches, says I. Surely Reynauld deserves a heap of gold and a few emeralds for his retirement plan?

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Highwang posted:

Firewood, Importance: Cozy~
-Firewood is used in a medium or long mission to consume food for HP/Stress heal, along with activating camping skills. When you camp, there's a chance that you will be ambushed with an encounter afterwards unless you use a skill that prevents this. You get firewood for free when you start a medium-length mission, and two for a long mission.

Firewood's nice, but its not vital. If you're low on food, this can also be a detriment since camping without food will actively damage you. Interesting trivia: Once upon a time, you used to be able to throw away your firewood at a Sacrificial Altar in the Warrens for a Damage/Accuracy/Crit buff, but that got removed at some point I am unaware of. Sad really, it was a good risk-reward mindset.

Correction/opinion: Firewood is vital if you don't have strong healing in your team and you take one too many hits/crits on the way to the end. Being able to heal up from food and camping skills can be a godsend in some healer-less runs.

As for why you'd want to make medium and long runs without healers... bringing more dps makes the run go faster. :colbert:

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Highwang, that has to be the worst Antiquarian team combo (edit: for chance of maximizing loot) I have ever seen in play, and it's all due to quirks! Thanks for showing off how easily you can miss out or get messed up if you don't pay attention to the little things (like buying torches). And for making me laugh at your misfortune. That is why we're here, no? (That and getting horrifically killed in your service.)

Barristan's Head is indeed good, and it stacks with other +prot items and the +prot quirks and the +prot skills into making a lucky someone a near-invincible tank as far as damage goes. This can be particularly useful for reducing risk in the later difficulty levels or making gimmicky things like the hilariously invincible dodgeprot Jester.

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 22, 2016

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Highwang posted:

New update! Episode 9: Politics

bit late on the update sorry. Also I'd love to see "House Wang" and "House Chitlin" propaganda posters if any artists/photoshoppers are interested.

Also, a bit torn on what info-post I am gonna do next: should I discuss Quirks and Afflictions or do a write-up on The Cove. Or let me know what you guys want. Either way, kinda need a direction to write in.

You should discuss Quirks and Afflictions, as we've certainly seen them now. You should probably wait with discussing the Cove until you've faced That One Enemy in it.

A few other things:

Liberal and libertarian, two different things, etc.
Did you know you can eat food straight out of the loot received screen? So don't throw it away before you've chowed up!
Abominations are pretty great to play around with. One of my favorite mid-to-late game party lineups involves 1 jester and 3 abominations with +Virtue trinkets.
Also, WHY ARE YOU FINISHING OFF STUNNED ENEMIES WHEN YOU CAN TRY KILLING ENEMIES WHO CAN STILL HURT YOU? WHY?! THINK OF THE ECONOMY OF ACTION! MHN'FTAGH!
*huff* *huff* *puff*
Great lesson on when to throw in the towel, though. Too often people go 'just one more kill and I'll make it' and lose themselves a character w/trinkets or the whole dang party. The sunk cost fallacy is not your friend in this game.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Halser posted:

I'm not sure I understand.

LogicalFallacy posted:

Neither do I, but I think that's the point.

Linus, of Linux fame. He tears into XML, the coding language used here, for being bad. People share his opinions. :thejoke:

o/~ If you don't understand it, google it. o/~

Halser posted:

I don't think the Ancestor is evil, just a hell of a dick.

Wouldn't you doom humanity to eternal darkess and madness if you were tired of boring rear end luxury and being rich?

We'll see more of the Ancestor's failings as the LP progresses. It's... a bit of a show.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

StrangeAeon posted:

Whaaaaaaaat

Oh man I need to start playing again

(Also, is there still recruitment open? I'd like to be a Crusader, Hellion, or Leper if so.)

With that name you definitely should. That is not dead... :unsmigghh:

Halser posted:

Oh, I've beaten the game already. I like how your reward for progressing through the game is simply finding out just how much your Ancestor hosed everything up.

Yeah, the Ancestor stuff is definitely among the crowning parts of the storytelling. I can just imagine the Scion sitting at a table in the tavern, interviewing his adventurers and puzzling together the horrific pieces of his Ancestor's past from moldy documents and witness accounts.

Or waking up in the middle of the night, a familiar voice still whispering damnable truths in his ear.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Halser posted:

I did that in the first playthrough after the game released. With heirloom exchange I don't need it anymore though.

Handling money gets a bit easier if you decide to make strictly heirloom and strictly cash runs, and which trinkets are worthless and can be sold. Getting both in one run often results in getting very little of both.

It does get harder when you start upgrading folks to lvl 5 though, poo poo's expensive as hell.

It's also important to know the general value of your trinkets so you can toss 'em. Most common trinkets only sell for 750 or thereabouts, while you can stack gems in the 1000-2000 range, gold to 1500 and the Trapezohedrons go for 2500 a pop. I tend to throw basic trinkets away once I run out of inventory space unless it's one I don't have and really, really want to keep.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Broose posted:

Having never played this game, how is scouting handled? Sometimes Highwang does it, sometimes he doesn't. Sometimes maps are found. Is it random? What the hell is going on in this game cause I'm pretty lost trying to follow. Also, how does the difficulty work? The more you explore one dungeon the difficulty goes up? Is it possible to grind out low level stuff forever? Does exploring one dungeon up the difficulty of another?

Scouting is based on whether or not you have +scouting trinkets equipped, whether your heroes have the right $Dungeon Explorer quirk or are using +scouting campfire skills and also to what degree your torch is lit (100% torch = higher chance of scouting). Scouting is checked for every time you enter a room. Maps that give free scouting are random drops from some hallway curios.

Difficulty works through the gradual leveling up of your heroes. There are 3 set tiers of difficulty: Apprentice (Resolve lvl 0-2), Veteran (3-4) and Champion (5-6). A hero with Veteran Resolve (lvl 3-4) will refuse to participate in Apprentice tier missions, forcing you to bring them to Veteran missions (or Champion, but don't) to level them further. The more heroes you have of a particular level the more missions will appear on the various dungeons set to that particular difficulty tier, but there will usually be at least 1 mission of each difficulty tier (as long as your heroes qualify for them).

Exploring one dungeon does not up the difficulty of another, but the more you explore one dungeon the more you 'level' up that dungeon; and the dungeon's level is what determines when boss missions (like the Necromancer) become available.

You can grind low level stuff forever so long as you're ok with dismissing some experienced heroes and recruiting new, fresh ones. This blood-for-gold tactic is used by people when they don't want to take risks or need to recover from a particularly bad run. It might also be that they're sadists whose only pleasure in life is wringing their heroes dry before discarding them like empty husks. :colbert:

e: goddammit Halser you better poster you

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Run a healer-less party, Highwang. Run a torchless dungeon. Run both... together. You know you must. You know the demands... of the Darkest Dungeon of your viewers. :colbert:

As for being genuinely upset at this game... well, I have been. I have screamed and choked and been a whirlwind of fury and wroth. I have not, as many, however, blamed Red Hook for faults of my own making. Those two heart attacks in a row that decapitated my hellion and vestal in literally the final moment of the fight? I deserved those. I risked those, by sticking around with afflictions in the party. They were mine to own up to. In fact, here, let me own up to it again.

A less wise man posted:

Having recently re-started playing the Darkest Dungeon after a hiatus, I ran a low-level party consisting of a vestal, a tomb robber, a crusader and a hellion through to the Apprentice Necromancer in the Ruins. The necromancer, unfortunately, was in the very depths of the dungeon, so morale had become a problem, stress mounting, with the tomb robber succumbing first and becoming abusive (and annoyingly vocal) prior to the final battle. In the middle of said battle, her comments drove first the vestal and then the hellion irrational and selfish respectively. Realizing for the first time the danger of a stress cascade, I start recklessly throwing myself at the necromancer with all I have, ignoring healing the loss of health, figuring death will be swift anyway if I don’t end the fight as soon as possible. The crusader falls to affliction last, after a wave of gibbering sweeps the party, and becomes abusive as well, no doubt in thanks to the rest’s loutish and lousy behavior. The hellion and tomb robber hits Death’s Door, but thankfully neither succumbs to follow-up blows.

Everyone but the crusader is by now high in the 180s or 190s of stress, but the necromancer is gratifyingly close to dying. A few lucky crits have paved the road, and only one final turn of sweep-up is required for me to finish the reckless gamble this run has turned out to become. I bite my nails at every action, knowing that one comment out of turn could make my precious characters keel over and die from stress.

Luck, however, is with me. The necromancer is critted into oblivion and only a single wounded skeleton remains. The fight is over in all but name. I have my crusader finish it off.

His final comment of the fight is on how everyone else was being bloody useless.

The vestal twitches and falls over in response. The hellion grows apoplectic with rage and then clutches her chest and goes down. The tomb robber teeters on the brink of the brink, a single point of stress between her and permanent final death. She titters nervously and the fight finally, finally ends, with the crusader having the last laugh for all of the crap the rest of the team heaped at him for that entire fight.

Meanwhile, I scream myself raw. In truth, three, not two, hearts were broken that fight; the vestal’s, the hellion’s and my own.

Note that this was back in the harrowing early days of Heart Attacks, where simply getting 200 stress was enough to insta-kill someone. You coddled late-comers have no idea how good you have it. :argh:

Halser posted:

As far as good Leper buddies, it's oddly fitting that the Plague Doctor works really well with him. Emboldening Vapours work well in edge cases since his damage is so disgusting, and Disorienting Blast not only stuns a target, but clears all corpses and shuffles the stunned target, perfect to keep the meat grinder going. The Leper's self heal goes perfectly to counter the Plague Doctor's very low heal, and the Leper's low bleed resistance is patched up well by Battlefield Medicine.

I have to concur. Plague Doctor and Leper are an A+ combo as long as you have a +Acc trinket to counter the Leper's low accuracy. Halser, as ever, posts good stuff full of sense. Listen to this man.

But be wary. Halser wears a rusted crown, his face daubed with red ochre. Endless experiments with lethal efficiencies has taken a dreadful toll.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

StrangeAeon posted:

Edit: Wait, do corpses still come back to life if you don't clear them for like 2 rounds?

If they ever did they do no longer and haven't in a long while. Mind, if you take too long in a fight, your party will gain stress and new enemies WILL arrive eventually and they clear away any corpses still around. Another reason to embrace damage dealers over healers.

AtomikKrab posted:

I love doing gimmick builds in this for some reason.

We don't need no torches, everyones a crusader!

Testing a gimmick build that you're not sure will work, but does, is the greatest thing. :allears:

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

You mentioned that you could turn off corpses in the video. What other things are modable like that in the base game? I'm sure it doesn't hit Don't Starve levels of depth but I'm curious about that.

Let's see... you can turn off mortality debuffs (i.e. the debuff one gets from hitting Death's Door; it stacks), remove the chance that you'll fail to escape combat (which is something you very much want to avoid whenever you're desperate enough to run away), remove the stress gain and reinforcements chance upon taking too long in a battle (allowing one to grind back health/stress if one has healers/jester) and also make it so that enemy crits simply deal max normal damage rather than act like a multiplier to normal damage like your party's crits do (which I imagine helps a lot on Champion Tier, but I've never tested these options, so...). You can also increase or decrease the odds of Town Events. That's pretty much it unless you want to personally edit game files (which some do, to, say, get bigger max rosters).

Mind that these helpful things will by no means save you from making stupid decisions and losing heroes to greed or overconfidence. As has been mentioned, turning off corpses can actually hurt you, since some of your party members' most useful skills will mainly target the back ranks.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tarezax posted:

If you want to Holy Lance a lot, I had some success running Crusader/Grave Robber/ Man at Arms (Rampart moves him forward one). Crusader and Man at Arms use their movement skills to stay in the front ranks and set up the Graverobber to Lunge. When the back ranks are dead just stop using Lunge and leave the Crusader and Man at Arms in the front ranks.

Another possibility is to bring a Highwayman/Grave Robber and TWO Crusaders, optionally aided by +speed trinket/quirks, for double the Holy Lancery potential. This is especially effective in the Ruins, due to the extra damage the move deals to the undead. It also tends to utterly chump the Necromancer boss.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

Oh man that would have made him so good.

Oh, I see why you like him now. Sorry, I was using outdated info.

Yeah, there's been a genuine turn-around of opinion on what during early access got considered 'useless' classes like the Leper and Jester, after they got some tweaks. You have much to look forward to now. :allears:

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Highwang posted:

Based on the Yellow King

Or rather, 'The King in Yellow' (a.k.a. Hastur the Unspeakable), from Robert W. Chambers' short story collection by the very same name.

He wears no mask.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
You can definitely avoid "Into The Pot!" with a high enough dodge. It is, in fact, one of the better ways to deal with the Hag's particular brand of bullshit. Bring a couple dodge-strong characters like the Grave Robber, HWM or Hound Master, pop +Dodge trinkets onto 'em, use a +Dodge camp skill or two and then have a Man-At-Arms spam Bolster every round. She should whiff often enough that beating her becomes fairly trivial from there.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to reiterate that it's quite possible to Dodge "Into The Pot!" and that stacking +Dodge on the entire party is a viable strategy for chumping the Hag on Apprentice and Veteran, moving to 'somewhat hazardous' on Champion difficulty. Then again, most bossfights on Champion achieve that status, or worse.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I've never seen the formation mess up like that at the end of the Siren bossfight before. :allears:

Highwang & Iron Chitlin posted:

"I don't see how you play Bethesda games (without mods)."

*Highwang leans into the microphone*

"I don't."

Fair cop, that.

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 19, 2016

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of cool DD-related things... way back earlier this year, someone posted this in the Games thread.

Crasical posted:

Pictured: A really awkward carriage ride.

Also I can't decide if that's two identical Lepers named Miron or just one really fat leper that took up two seats on the coach.

To amazing results. :allears:

Captain Invictus posted:

When miron sits around the cart, he sits AROUND the cart

Zombie Samurai posted:

Remind yourself that overeating is a slow and insidious killer.

AnonSpore posted:

Miron so fat getting hit by tempting goblet destresses him

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Miron so fat you need scouting just to see in front of him

Mzbundifund posted:

Nakar posted:

Miron so fat when he walks in the hallways the dungeon gets stressed.

Such blockages are not uncommon.

abardam posted:

you guys are mean :saddowns:

i get hungry when i'm stressed!

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Before that picture too? Because I'm pretty sure people have been making jokes at his expense even before that one was posted.

Not that I know of. I believe that picture was the start of it all (back in the DD Games thread in February 2016). If someone's been bashing him in this or other threads before or after that event, then Miron's so fat his mockery cannot be contained to a single thread or timeline.

Nalesh posted:

Miron's one of the devs isn't he?

Nope. I doubt we'd have bashed a dev of this wonderful game even half as hard as poor Miron, fictional that he is, suffered. The actual devs can be found here. They're pretty cool guys.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nalesh posted:

Kiers last name is Miron :v:

What, really? That can't be...

*checks own source*

D'oh! I'd actually forgot. Sorry Keir! I'll stop promulgating the legend of Miron so fat now. :saddowns:

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Given that the thread's begun to delve into the creative madness that is Trinket Creation, I suggest you all take a look at the list of backer-created Trinkets.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10QFi-xGfD5Si6843F8hkPzDwJxUVZCnFUWLBMD2H05Q/edit#gid=0

Of course, the list doesn't add their details so you'll have to check them manually in the game by going to the trinket inventory, hitting enter, then typing the name of the trinket. I'll quote you some of my early favorites to get you all started.

Scribbleykins posted:

I just got done checking the backer trinkets and a fair few of them are indeed broken to some degree or another, mostly due to 'clever' applications of rank or situation-based downsides that seldom or never apply.

Mine, on the other hand... really isn't.

You're probably going to need that DB Resist and +Virtue chance in order to survive getting that pitiful amount of extra Resolve. Darkest Dungeon, folks! :getin:

As for my favorites so far, either thematically or statwise, here they are:

Truth
+7 ACC
+10% stress damage vs Eldritch

It helps you see better!

...Oh god, it helps you see better. :gonk:

The Rolled Bones
+3% crit at Death's Door
+3% crit if HP below 25%
+3% crit if torch below 26
-5 ACC

How willing are you to dance on the edge of oblivion with a downgrade in ACC just for that sweet extra +9% Crit? Roll them bones, and see how long you last.

The Phalanx
+6% Prot in Pos 1
+10% Move resist in Pos 1
+10% Stun resist in Pos 1
-4 SPD
-6 DODGE

Staying power at the front, in exchange for surer punishment.

The Cthonian Texts
-10% stress dmg if torch below 26
+10% blight resist if torch below 26
+10% Heal Skills
+10% stress dmg if torch above 75
-10% blight resist if torch above 75

You don't really want to be able to read these tattered manuscripts...

The Bloodied Shroud
+13% DMG if HP below 25%
+8 DODGE if HP below 25%
-13% Heals Received

Interesting synergy; you get less healing, so it's easier to fall below the health threshold that activates the rather significant bonuses.

Reaper's Hourglass
+5 SPD if HP above 75 %
+8 DODGE if HP above 75 %
+5% Crit if HP above 75 %
-4 SPD if HP below 26 %
-6 DODGE if HP below 26 %
-5 ACC if HP below 26 %

This trinket seems to encourage overconfidence...

Necronomicon
+13% Heal Skills
+13% Heal Skills
+4 SPD
-16% Resolve XP
-16% Resolve XP
-16% Resolve XP

... I can see some interesting applications for this one, such as by stalling a prime healer's ascent, and allowing them to accompany more groups of green adventurers on missions.

Moirai bones

+6% Crit on First Round
+15% DMG after First Round
-5 ACC on First Round
-4% Crit after First Round

Nice and well-balanced trinket; gives you a high crit chance at ACC cost for the first round (when critting someone to death would have high value) and high damage at crit cost for the subsequent rounds.

Lewd Vial
+6 ACC while Camping
+5 SPD while Camping
-13% stress resist while Camping
-6% Prot while Camping
-10% Disease Resist while Camping
-10% Trap Disarm while Camping

Well, it had to happen at least once. :rolleyes:

Headhunter's Herbs

+6 ACC vs Marked
+13% DMG vs Marked
+6% Crit vs Marked
-10% Max HP
-13% Heals Received
-10% Stun Resist

A really nice marking upgrade at a cheap, but potentially significant, price.

Forlorn Memento
+6% Prot if torch below 26
+10% DMG if torch below 26
-10% Stress Dmg if torch below 26
-10% Move Resist
-6 % Death Blow Resist

A touch of strength and comfort in the dark; at the cost of easing one's passing (around).

Final Memento
+9% Death Blow Resist
-8% Virtue Chance

The desperate cannot afford death.

De Vermis Mysteriis
-20% stress resist vs Eldritch
-6 DODGE vs Eldritch

Armed with knowledge, overconfidence abounds.

Coward's Crutch
+8 DODGE if in Pos 4
+5 SPD if in Pos 4
-6 DODGE if in Pos 1

A trinket with no real disadvantage, so the name sure fits.

Concealed Dagger
+3 SPD on First Round
+3% Crit on First Round
+5 % DMG
-6% Prot

A little somethin' extra up the sleeve.

RickVoid posted:

Trinkets
Magic Bag
+10% Stack Size (Extra Dimensional Space)

Bag of Holding
+25% Stack Size (Extra Dimensional Space)
+20% Party Stress (Things Lurk Behind The Curtain)

Now I'm trying to decide of +25% is too OP even with the 20% Stress Boost. Like, pair that with an Antiquarian and a Jester for Stress Healing and you'd bring back a metric gently caress-ton of loot with minimal risk of heart-attacks.

Maybe it guarantees the appearance of a collector?

If carrying the extra-dimensional space trinket doesn't at least have a slight random chance of eating/getting a party member lost in time and space for a week or two between one dungeon screen and another, leaving you with just 3 members to complete the dungeon (or retreat in shame), I would be sorely disappointed. At least having an Antiquarian along means you must have an Antiquarian along instead of someone more useful. :colbert:

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Is using the kickstarter trinkets considered cheating? Can you just find them lying around?

And of course I get stuck reading all the books on the dark run.

Depends on your point of view, really. Some of the trinkets are nigh useless and very situational compared to actual good in-game trinkets, while others are more cheat-y in that they have no real disadvantages and/or can be used in ways that might be considered game-breaking. If you consider using those cheating or detrimental to the game's balance and your enjoyment of the game, then just don't use 'em. If you want to experiment with a bunch of mixed bag trinkets that won't ever drop normally and were made by a bunch of this game's first supporters, then carry on. The way to get them is to go into your trinket inventory, press enter and then enter the trinket's name.

Also: Never read books on a dark run. Unless you're topped to the gills with +Virtue trinkets and want to gamble. Then read all the books.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Halser posted:

I come from the X-COM school of "98% chance to hit, 100% chance to miss". I ain't betting on a 60%.

If you're not quite that level of picky, though, you can have fun popping +Virtue trinkets on people, not care about their stress and then watch things suddenly go spectacularly in your favor. One of my +Virtue specific combos is 1 jester and 3 abominations, because with the Jester's stress heal and the abomination's self stress heal, you can with a little effort work yourself back out of afflictions (factoid: afflictions disappear mid-dungeon if stress is ever reduced to 0). The abominations are tough and can self-heal a tiny bit, so the chief trouble is keeping the Jester healthy... and that's what +dodge trinkets, camping and consumables are for.

2 or 3 Virtue'd abominations are a sight, I tell you. A glorious, slavering sight. :allears:

e: There was a spoilered thing here. Now there isn't even that.

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 25, 2016

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
RIP Lucien; your name means light, so it is fitting that it was snuffed in the only guaranteed darkness fight of a game about fighting in the darkness. (And yeah, you should have been stunning way more.)

But kudos to Highwang for making the brave attempt! Keep at it! Leave no alter of darkness torchless! At least until you've actually defeated the thing. Maybe we'll let you off the hook then.

Disclaimer: I often made vain and potentially unprepared and dangerous attempts at the Shambler's life, myself, in an attempt to grind up the reward. If I could do it, so can Highwang! :colbert:

Arcade Rabbit posted:

So I've looked at the rewards for killing Shambles and without spoiling anything, are they actually worth it? Cause they look kinda meh all things considered.

Without spoilers: Yes and no. I do not consider them worth the effort to grind (gave that up, because I wanted to finish the drat game), but they can be useful.

Mzbundifund posted:

The best part about heart attacks is they can chain. Seeing a buddy go to death's door inflicts a lot of stress on a party member, so if guy 1 gets a heart attack, he drops to 150 stress and death's door. This inflicts stress on guys 2-4, and that stress can cause one of them to heart attack, which causes another guy to heart attack etc etc. It's like sympathetic vomiting.

A less wise man posted:

Having recently re-started playing the Darkest Dungeon after a hiatus, I ran a low-level party consisting of a vestal, a tomb robber, a crusader and a hellion through to the Apprentice Necromancer in the Ruins. The necromancer, unfortunately, was in the very depths of the dungeon, so morale had become a problem, stress mounting, with the tomb robber succumbing first and becoming abusive (and annoyingly vocal) prior to the final battle. In the middle of said battle, her comments drove first the vestal and then the hellion irrational and selfish respectively. Realizing for the first time the danger of a stress cascade, I start recklessly throwing myself at the necromancer with all I have, ignoring healing the loss of health, figuring death will be swift anyway if I don’t end the fight as soon as possible. The crusader falls to affliction last, after a wave of gibbering sweeps the party, and becomes abusive as well, no doubt in thanks to the rest’s loutish and lousy behavior. The hellion and tomb robber hits Death’s Door, but thankfully neither succumbs to follow-up blows.

Everyone but the crusader is by now high in the 180s or 190s of stress, but the necromancer is gratifyingly close to dying. A few lucky crits have paved the road, and only one final turn of sweep-up is required for me to finish the reckless gamble this run has turned out to become. I bite my nails at every action, knowing that one comment out of turn could make my precious characters keel over and die from stress.

Luck, however, is with me. The necromancer is critted into oblivion and only a single wounded skeleton remains. The fight is over in all but name. I have my crusader finish it off.

His final comment of the fight is on how everyone else was being bloody useless.

The vestal twitches and falls over in response. The hellion grows apoplectic with rage and then clutches her chest and goes down. The tomb robber teeters on the brink of the brink, a single point of stress between her and permanent final death. She titters nervously and the fight finally, finally ends, with the crusader having the last laugh for all of the crap the rest of the team heaped at him for that entire fight.

Meanwhile, I scream myself raw. In truth, three, not two, hearts were broken that fight; the vestal’s, the hellion’s and my own.

I cannot repost this story often enough. It's one of the most pivotal moments of my Darkest Dungeon Experience (TM), where I learned about an important facet/danger of the game and had a STUPIDLY SPECIFIC chain of events come about that turned an already-win into a tragic, unexpected loss right as I had begun to relax and celebrate my scraping by. Emphasis needed: every enemy on the screen was dead when two of my adventurers keeled over due to one final bit of (well-deserved) hurled abuse, and a third -just- missed following suit. If that doesn't deserve to be in my mental hall of fame, I don't know what does.

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 15, 2016

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Nice run, Highwang. Two things, though:

1) EAT FOOD. DO NOT THROW FOOD AWAY. RIGHT CLICK ON FOOD IN LOOT DROP AND EAT IT
2) STOP THROWING AWAY CRESTS YOU ALREADY HAVE A CHIRURGEON'S CHARM THROW THAT AWAY INSTEAD AAAAA

Jokes and tips aside, though, don't worry, we love your LP and we love you showing off this game. Just do your thing, for all sins shall be forgiven when you perform the Penance-Rite of The Sham-ia-un Tia Dharg Rahn.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Also if you sandbag too long, your party members start complaining and giving each other stress. Because a running theme of this game is that you're minions are idiots.

Nah, they're being aware of the fact that they're standing around in a dark and terrible place surrounded by ominous background music and that voice that keeps glibly commenting on everything and that any number of the many numerous monstrous beings and vile individuals inhabiting said place might come piling around a corner and kill them dead (or much, much worse) due to all the ruckus they're making and the time they're taking. YOU try being an adventurer and not get nervous when the evil GM's smile keeps getting broader and broader the longer you delay! :colbert:

Evil GM: "Oh, I've been waiting for a chance to use this one. It almost never gets to catch up."

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

grandalt posted:

It can, at least on the higher levels. Or is that all hands on deck?

It's all hands. The Clutch only causes bleed, weirdly.

e: oh hey, an update!

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Still with the throwing away of food you could've easily eaten... Ah well, I can't stay mad at you any longer. You're clearly only hurting yourself, here, after all. And Sjonkel, Logical Fallacy, Bouken Jima, Aerdan and whoever else you bring on future adventures... so Kaboom Dragoon should be sitting pretty safe!

So, just to clarify, we aren't going to witness you suffer through an endless series of more-or-less alike veteran and champion dungeons while you build up at all the necessary champion-tier adventurers? You and Iron Chitlin aren't going to run out of things to say about a third of the way through and resort to lecturing us about the Cthulhu mythos, or do live readings of the Pnakotic Manuscripts in an attempt to drive us all insane? Weak. I thought this was a comprehensive Let's Play, Highwang! :argh:

(It's fine; mid-game is a harsh teacher and a big slog, but you might want to record your runs in case of hilarious hijinks and key happenings (i.e. deaths) that you'd want to show off. Maybe a best-of/worst of moments reel if you have way too much free time your editing chops are up to snuff.)

Now, you missing out on that secret treasure room wasn't a great moment of schadenfreude just because of the way you went about ignoring the still-significant reward opening the chest without a key gives you. No, it's because you opted to keep the comparatively useless holy waters, the entirely useless shovels and the potentially unnecessary torches when you threw away that key. Successful item management is one of the more valuable lessons for Medium and Long runs in terms of maximizing your profits!

I tend to throw keys away absolutely last in non-Short runs, especially if I'm hard up for cash. Throwing away a minor useless trinket that can be sold for 750 gold for the off-chance of getting 10 times the money is a risk-reward investment that can really pay off. Hell, I'd even sacrifice 1x stack of gold or an un-full stack of low-tier gems, given that the chance of stumbling across a treasure room, especially with +scouting camp skills on, is surprisingly high (base chance of scouting is, like, 25 % and can be increased through quirks, camp skills and full light). There's a limit to how much I'm willing to throw away, but when there's at least a few curio interactions and battles left, which will allow you to re-stock up on treasure with in the event nothing surfaces, just chucking some lesser valuables and keeping a key handy until closer to the run's end isn't going to end up being a big loss.

By the way, will we be able to suggest trinket setups as well as party setups? I have at least one gimmick build that relies heavy on certain trinkets, see. And will we be able to influence the setup of skills for the chosen party compositions? I'm not talking forcing you to only pick and use those skills (although, if you're up to it...), but more 'hey, try out this particular variant skill build if you want to'.

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 29, 2016

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Veloxyll posted:

Highwang clearly has the Glutton negative trait

Highwang has conclusively proven himself not a glutton, on account of all the food he keeps throwing away. :colbert:

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Highwant ate food? Highwang ate food! HE ATE ALL THE FOOD! Yeeeeeesssss! We are one step closer to the Stars Being Right!

*elated dance*

So yeah, now I just need to start yelling at you about stunning. Why are you not stunning with your vestal, Highwang? Why? WHY ARE THERE SO FEW STUNS?

Unless your answer is 'because I want my heroes stressed and dismembered, and fresh new sacrifices heroes like YOU, Scribbleykins, on my roster', you should be ashamed. :colbert:

CrazySalamander posted:

Also, just fought the prophet, misread the valid slots on a bounty hunter on my double bounty hunter party. Front guy sat there being useless the entire fight. The prophet didn't even deign to do anything to him.

It's almost like he knew...

I love incidental moments of emergent storytelling in gameplay like that, and Darkest Dungeon seems to be full of them. Like when my Man-at-Arms Virtue'd right before getting Heave-To'd when I fought the Drowned Crew, giving me the first experience of what happens when that happens, at literally the most dramatically appropriate moment. That is a glorious bark to go with the effect, and so very fitting for the Man-at-Arms. I literally hollered and whooped with joy. :allears:

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Veloxyll posted:

His vestal doesn't stun because he has reduced stun chance trinkets equipped, so it'll only work half the time. or worse.

Man, that's what they were talking about? I couldn't for the life of me understand why he was saying the vestal stun worked so poorly. I never use the -stun trinkets myself.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Highwang posted:

New Update - Episode 32: Leppy's Bizarre Adventure

We have another special guest join us today as we learn new and scary thing about the Cove, along with confirm the fact that I can't read.

MVP Leppy Granola. Both of 'em.

And welcome to the Uca Crusher! Or, as Highwang would probably call it, the 'Woe Gusher', on account of how much grief they give you. These guys aren't as directly hard-hitting as you might think from their lumbering frame, but they can use Tidal Slam to stun and move the targeted adventurer to the back row and its Arterial Pinch will quickly turn your heroes anemic. Highwang is also correct in that its Arterial pinch not only causes bleed, but it can debuff to reduce healing by 33%, which is a gnarly combo if ever there was one. To top it off, they're a huge pain to put down thanks to their high hp pool and excessive Prot.

Highwang made this run look easy by bringing a houndmaster for -Prot and getting lucky with Leppy's crits; other party compositions/less lucky players would struggle more. Stuns and Blight tend to be of help in locking it down and dealing decent chip damage, but to some extent you'll always be wailing on it at the end of the fight. It's fair to say that the Uca Crusher has been the cause of many a hero's death and can easily make you to have to run away and fail your Cove run if you're not prepared to deal with it. Always bring bandages to the Cove to negate the ridiculous bleed this thing can cause.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hunt11 posted:

Any views on how good Shadow of the Demon Lord would be for representing Darkest Dungeon.

Haven't played SotDL, but there's a new RPG called The Nightmares Underneath that looks like it might emulate the Darkest Dungeon experience pretty well.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Halser posted:

Hey, remember hindsight is 20/20.

You should still mock Highwang, but remember that.

Those of us privileged enough to do so, should also remember how absolutely poo poo we were at this game the first time we played it and did not have the wealth of knowledge and strategies available that we do now.

RIP Adventurers #1 through #18. I wasn't even trying to get you killed. :smith:

Well, except those four near the end. Turns out, there can be no achievement without madness. :unsmigghh:

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hunt11 posted:

Any advice for lowering the mortality rate for Champion level missions?

What keeps killing your people? Under what circumstances do they die?

Here's a basic rundown, at least: Learn how to get the most out of the action economy, stun-wise, damage-wise and heal-wise (i.e. don't 'waste' turns on sub-par actions, always aim to be moving towards killing something, or saving someone from getting hurt). Stun in particular is really, really good and you should be using it all the time. On the right enemies, a Push or a Pull can be as good as a Stun. Making good party/skill combinations that can deal with the enemies in the dungeon you're going to is going to help a lot. Use trinkets that play to your adventurers' strengths. Remember that killing an enemy is almost always better than wounding two, although you want to get started with some enemies before others, stress dealers in particular.

But most important of all... don't be overconfident. If you're losing people it's probably because you're not choosing to retreat fast enough, for whatever reason. If you're hard up for cash and feel you can't retreat, fire some dudes and hire some dudes and go for something safer than the Champion runs; unless you have a dream team, they can be hard to grind out money in.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JT Jag posted:

Bad news: the treatment ward doesn't have enough space

But the Penance Hall ALWAYS has an open space for Highwang. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Veloxyll posted:

Look, Highwang knew what he was in for!

You could say he knew the risks, even.

Master the Brutal Commentary of Battle in this Darkest Dungeon LP! :v:

We're all giving you poo poo Highwang, but remember anyone who's actually played this game blind were babbies trying to figure out optimal strategies themselves at one point, to likely disastrous results. So turn the tables on your co-commentators! Ask them of their own greatest mistakes, foibles and downfalls! And if they say they've never had any...

The evidence begs to differ.

• Locked thread