Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Cardboard Box A posted:

http://samuelwhitefield.com/1811/four-issues-to-consider-before-you-vote-trump-what-is-really-at-stake

They know enough to know what Trump is saying and doing is wrong, and yet they are still supporting him.

Why? Because we are never compelled by our ideals like we are by our loves. And when you look at Donald Trump through the shared loves of the evangelical Culture, he starts to make perfect sense.

Evangelicals don’t believe in Donald Trump as much as they love Donald Trump and all that Donald Trump represents. Watch these rallies and you will quickly see they have nothing to do with inspiring ideas and hopeful policies; they’re worship services. And standing on the stage before the great throng of longing souls is the manifestation of their common love feeding their hungry hearts with his nonsense.

Holy poo poo

This is less interesting than the last facebook quote you posted across 5 threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

im guessing you arent religious or know anyone who is

That was not my point

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

Thanks, but how do I get that to display quarterly percentage growth?

open excel and get to work

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

On Terra Firma posted:

I don't know why anyone even brings up campaign money in this election. It clearly didn't make a difference in the primary.

Because the general is not the primary. Trump bucked the trend there because of multiple causes. It was a very diluted race, with debates not even able to accommodate all challengers at once. Trump never won a majority of any state, only pluralities wherein more people voted for all of his opponents than him. The others, Cruz, Kasich, and Rubio, had thier knives pointed at each other as much as Trump, and he exploited that division with singularity of message and appealing to the GOP base in the most blatant way we have seen.

Him vs Hillary is very different, and the nature of the electoral college means he HAS to bring new voters to his side. He HAS to convince people who right now, are not voting Trump. And he will not do that with media appearances and interviews on fox news. He got disproportionate media treatment for a primary, however in the general both candidates are front and center 24/7 until the election. Obama proved just how powerful a good ground game is, and how it can turn out votes.

However, your point does stand, as little about this election has made any sense.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

CelestialScribe posted:

My understanding was that one detonation of a modern nuclear weapon - due to their immense power - would result in such large amounts of radiation it would eventually cover the entire planet.

*Extremely* happy to be told I'm wrong.

Modern weapons are actually smaller than the largest ones tested. One nuke going off does nothing in global terms. The concern is a full on nuclear exchange wherein many cities are destroyed, as well as large numbers of ground bursts that are meant to destroy enemy nukes. The smoke from the fires and the dirt thrown into the sky linger in the atmosphere and interfere with the sun's rays.

Normally you blow them up in the air above the target so the blast knocks over poo poo and the heat sets a wide area on fire. This actually means not too much fallout as it is spread very widely and high into the atmosphere. The radioactive bits are flung far and wide, and most of the ground and such is not irradiated to the point that it sticks very long. Its obviously very very bad, but its akin to Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the cities were habitable not very long after the blasts.

The ground bursts are way worse in terms of nuclear winter as they kick up giant amounts of dirt into the sky, which gets irradiated and than holds that radiation longer. It also sets fires as well, burning trees and building that have more radiation in them as well, sending smoke up that is nastier. They would also hit the same spot multiple times to ensure the enemy nuke silo is destroyed.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

bowser posted:

How long has the GOP base been so angry? For all the Trump hate I see from liberals there are very few calls to imprison or hang him.

The 90s. The polar divide started with Nixon and was furthered by Reagan, but the straight up hatred started in the 90's with Bill and Hillary. Rush Limbaugh and the nascent Fox News then fanned those flames into a wildfire that is still burning and will burn until demographics shifts force the GOP to either die or radically change and adapt.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

Why don't the dems have an ad lining up a bunch of purple heart recipients with their missing limbs and various disfigurements shaming Trump yet? That should have been a thing before the sun set last night.

Its August, there are 3 months left to go. They will capitalize on things in due time. Like with the Letterman ad that just ran, they have tons of old footage of trump they are digging through and collecting. Some of their best stuff will be saved until its either needed or near the election when it will be fresh in people's minds.

The ad you are talking about may not run until November, just to twist the knife days before the election and remind people of his callousness towards vets.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

He'll make another gaffe today or tomorrow and everyone will move on. They need a rapid response ad team for this stuff. Doesn't need to be televised or in paid ad space, just whip it up and stick on youtube and let the news media run clips talking about it.

No you don't you give him the rope to hang himself with. This poo poo is not getting resolved, just overtaken. Then it will all get brought back up and the wounds reopened.

Going whole hog right now is what the GOP does, and that's why they have no ammo left for Hillary.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Like Hillary is going to try and bait him into making statements in the debates that contradict or touch on some of these issues. Then they will take him going "I have always loved the vets! " and lay it over the recent stuff to remind everyone what he actually has said.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Grouchio posted:

Are there any good life insurance articles that I could do a short write-up on for class?

nope you're out of luck

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

iospace posted:

What the gently caress is accelerationism anyway?

Believing that the current system is so broken that the only solution is complete revolution and overhaul, and that those things only come about if poo poo get worse. Therefore vote for the people most likely to destabilize the status quo and thus prompt revolutionary change.

They would vote Trump since he might do such a bad job, the entire system will be overthrown, or at least pave the way for it.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Night10194 posted:

Didn't a bunch of leftists legitimately think this in Weimar Germany and then get surprised when they ended up arrested by the nazis.

technically it worked, just not how they wanted it to.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Also, no matter how much we panic here, Trump will not start WW3. He would be incredibly damaging, but there are enough checks and balances that he would not actually guide us into oblivion.

Voting for him just means you are callously uncaring towards millions of people who will be worse off.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

wilderthanmild posted:

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/lp/volunteer-to-be-a-trump-election-observer

Trump is looking for "Election Observers" is this a normal thing that candidates/parties do, or is this gonna be some "ALL OF MY ELECTION OBSERVERS REPORTED ELECTION FRAUD!(Because they saw someone who looked foreign)" poo poo he's gonna use to cause poo poo after he loses horribly.

its usual

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

I think we've hit a new low for stupid conservative controversies: http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/us/biden-does-the-unthinkable-with-nuke-codes-at-hillary-rally

How do they think the nuclear codes work? Do they think you can just steal them and launch the nukes yourself? Do they think it's just a big red button you can hit and the world ends?

Its not even a secret, there is a fuckin wiki article about it. There are more levels to the security than just "has code, push button"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_football

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

Yes, new improved Donald insults people's girlfriends. That's what the electorate wants
mika is joes co host, so its just him dismissing the woman

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 22, 2016

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

gfsincere posted:

Explain to me when that happened? Or did I in a paraphrased manner explained that when you send a people to the gym for 400+ years where only the strong survive and then one of they only outs from the crushing poverty you put them under is related to the same physical labor they had to sustain for generations, surprise, we might be better.

The traits slavery would have selected for are not really that applicable to modern day pro sports. Enduring long hours in the hot sun while doing repetitive labor is not what makes a sprinter or linebacker or point guard.

Pro sports' position as a vehicle for the oppressed to break the cycle of poverty and subsequent emphasis in oppressed communities are a pretty good solution to the question of why minorities are over represented in pro sports, compared to the general population.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

gfsincere posted:

Clearly race politics is not something to be discussed with a majority white audience, so let's go to something else.

Texas BBQ is terrible just like the entire state.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

gfsincere posted:

Secondly, bigger and stronger slaves were more valuable. This is historically factual. You really don't think slave owners who treated people like cattle or horses also didn't try to breed them like it?

Even if they did that, the constant stream of new slaves from Africa, as well as slave owner rape, would have undone anything they attempted. 13 generations is not long enough to have done much, especially in such a chaotic and uncontrolled environment.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

nutranurse posted:

I am black in america.

i feel like this is bordering on requiring the resurrection of the zoux photo at this rate to get thsi int oan even more absurd stratosphere

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

gfsincere posted:

poo poo like this is why black Americans don't like black immigrants on the highest of keys. It's really not the goddamn same. You think your immigrant experience adds up to growing up in the projects of Chicago with a grandmother who was a black panther, and you're displaying all of the traits we list when we encounter y'all. You act like you know everything about our experience without living none of it and you come off just as hosed up as the white people that we complain about, especially with that snide rear end "you think we don't have empathy" comment, which oddly enough your posts make it seem like you lack all of it, including any sort of tact, because you're def breaking rule number 1 right now and that's how I know you and I aren't in the same group.

Oh you got spanked? Guess that means we are the same! I had dinner with Dick Gregory in Ferguson, so checkmate?

lol

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

zoux posted:

Yeah I can vouch for him.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

get fuckin rekt

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

zoux posted:

I honestly dunno if they are trying to tack back to the center to pick up moderates and just hoping that their base is too far in to back out or if they are intentionally trying to create confusion around this issue.

anyone who has a problem with it can go gently caress themselves since one of the few good things on this stupid internet is you can learn a lot about groups of people 20 years ago would be mostly walled off from each other.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

for every racist white person that sees black people arguing and goes all "AH HA I KNEW THEY SUCK" I'm pretty sure there are more that learn more about the nuances of black life in america and are thus more able to empathize and more willing to call out their shithead friends.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

The Shortest Path posted:

Goddammit I knew he was in the tank for Hillary the whole time!

E:^ yeah I almost feel bad for all the interns who worked 60+ hour weeks getting her campaign as ready as possible only to find that work completely wasted.

It's not wasted. The larger the margin of victory, to better the democratic party will do overall. They will not let their foot off his throat until the results are in.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Missed this earlier, thanks for sharing.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

BigRed0427 posted:

Wait, play doh?

the only thing he unloaded during his photo op was some playdoh which is pretty clearly meant for the shelters with kids in them.

which is because the response is doing its job and has the resources to make things as comfortable as they can for families.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

iospace posted:

Someone said I needed a trigger warning for this:

I don't know why.

Real talk though. On one hand, it does feel like the SJW/Tumblr crowd massively overused it, and thus the alt-right backlashed against it because ~reasons~ (same reason for all the genders Tumblr seems to claim: read online bullying). I think the tl;dr of it is that the alt-right here is pushing that "YOU'RE A BUNCH OF PUSSIES" when in reality it is delegitimatizing those who would actually like them, such as soldiers or rape victims.

Or an even shorter tl;dr: :pedophiles:

You can get pizza like that in detroit a lot, however it only looks like that if you are ordering just a cheese pizza, with a normal amount of toppings it looks way more normal, and its also really good as it always has the cheese caramelized on the crust

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

:golfclap:

Oh, is it time for pizza chat? 'Cause, as a Detroiter, I got some strong opinions about Detroit-style pizza.

Sup, only 3 more weeks till our citywide purgatory begins again

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/30/health/indiana-lead-contamination/

Lol the same EPA administrative division, Region 5, is who hosed up in Flint hahahahahahahahahaha

everything sucks and is terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

im an atheist and the constant christian messaging can at times be annoying, and it think its bullshit how you pretty much could not run for political office as an atheist.i also have of opinions on religion and poo poo.

these concerns barely effect my life and rarely if ever do i ever them thought unless its specifically in a conversation on the issue of religion.

Hilary's religious nature is of 0 concern to anyone.

• Locked thread