Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Wow a new thread!!

How is that Everdrive GBA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

What's a good Windows emulator for Jade Cocoon?

PCSX-R freezes when hitting New Game on the title screen.
mednafen gives a black screen.
retroarch with both psx mednafen cores gives a black screen.
ePSXe crashes.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

al-azad posted:

I'll have to try it when I get home but which version of Windows and can you play other games in ePSXe? When moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10 it completely broke ePSXe until I set the clockspeed from something like 5x (which is the default) to 1x.

Windows 10, sure enough. Thanks for the info.

I haven't tried a single other PSX game since this OS install. I have tried a couple different ISO formats.
My actual Playstations and RPGs are in a box in storage. Might be worth busting one out for this. PSX emulation would be nice, I just didn't know it was finicky.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 5, 2016

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

hey losers, around seven or eight est im going to fire up the stream and play some NES games badly and get mad at them

i will be taking requests, so if there's something you want to see me fail at, let me know
I gotta recommend the classics Somari and Bird Week.

al-azad posted:

Play with the clockspeed in the options. When I get home I'll tell you my settings. Took me a fresh download and an hour of messing around after Windows 10 broke it.
Thanks a bunch. :)

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Did RGB or HDMI famicom modding ever get easier or cheaper? My twin famicom just collects dust since I got rid of my PWM.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks guys. I'm kind of surprised China hasn't put clones of the board on Ali express. I'm considering the RetroUSB AVS, but it's still a clone system and I would need a FDS to play the discs. All things considered, a Framemeister is a higher priority for other systems, and NES emulation is trivial.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Ahh higan, the most accurate SNES emulator ever. Also a passable NES emulator and bad GBA emulator.

"byuu.org posted:

higan is a multi-system emulator that began development on 2004-10-14. It currently supports the following systems:

Nintendo Famicom
Nintendo Super Famicom
Super Game Boy
BS-X Satellaview
Sufami Turbo
Nintendo Game Boy
Nintendo Game Boy Color
Nintendo Game Boy Advance
Sega Master System
Sega Game Gear
Sega Mega Drive
NEC PC Engine
NEC SuperGrafx
Bandai WonderSwan
Bandai WonderSwan Color
Wait what?

"byuu.org posted:

This release adds very preliminary emulation of the Sega Master System (Mark III), Sega Game Gear, Sega Mega Drive (Genesis), and NEC PC Engine (Turbografx-16). These cores do not yet offer sound emulation, save states or cheat codes.

I'm always very hesitant to release a new emulation core in its alpha stages, as in the past this has resulted in lasting bad impressions of cores that have since improved greatly. For instance, the Game Boy Advance emulation offered today is easily the second most accurate around, yet it is still widely judged by its much older alpha implementation.

However, it's always been tradition with higan to not hold onto code in secret. Rather than delay future releases for another year or two, I'll put my faith in you all to understand that the emulation of these systems will improve over time.

I hope that by releasing things as they are now, I might be able to receive some much needed assistance in improving these cores, as the documentation for these new systems is very much less than ideal.

Also, please note that starting with this release, I am omitting the settings.bml file. This means that you will have to manually configure your gamepad input assignments, and select the appropriate devices from the system menu after loading games. You may also want to select a more conservative driver profile than the default (OpenGL, WASAPI.) If they cause you any troubles, a safer bet would be (Direct3D, DirectSound.)

The good news in omitting this file is that you'll only have to configure inputs once, and you won't lose any customizations by upgrading to future releases.
He's not taking the libretro approach but is coding all these low level emulator cores himself!? I don't expect much at this point, but any word on how they hold up?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Instant Sunrise posted:

Well my AGS-101 arrived today.

I'm already planning on getting Oracle of Ages/Seasons, Minish Cap, Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, and probably MK Super Circuit as well. Any other GBA/GBC recommendations?

Run down this list https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-new-essentials-gameboy-advance.262264/

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Re: Denny's Atari discussion pages back, the whole collection is available on iOS for free.

RZA Encryption posted:

Where can I find flac files of Sonic 2 recorded from a model 1 genesis?

Then the same, but from a cdx.
For the Model 1, right here!
http://16bap.theclassicgamer.net/media/

I would love to hear it from a CDX too though, Elliotw2. Any chance of CDX Knuckles Chaotix? :3: Just the credits medley from the sound test would be enough to see how it hilariously fucks up the drums.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

I was totally joking but at the same time I was 100% sure it existed.

Edit: of course there are a bunch of youtube videos to showcase the difference in audio between system revisions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjCOlnGpi1g

I'm guilty of making a video like this...

Random Stranger posted:

I've noticed that the Genesis's palette seems to suffer worse in emulation than pretty much any other console. That might be due to using a lot of dithering effect.

Sonic's water effects have been used in this thread to show the difference and it's really visible to me in Pulseman...
Example: the transparent rainbow tubes look better here. I've seen the argument that certain devs knew what they were doing for the RF/composite majority.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

fishmech posted:

The forums are supposed to automatically shrink images to fit within your browser window for many months now anyway.

:monocle:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Woah woah what? There are that many different SNES cartridges with dumps that are not confirmed as good?

Or is byuu coming up with a new ROM standard that works on individual electrons and the amount of time it takes for them to get across different PCB revisions?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Intros, modified title screens, trainers etc are an important part of the scene's history. No intro and clean dumps are important, yes, but it lacks all the personality. I've seen an nfo listing a point system for dumps where cracktos and trainers were more desirable than a straight backup.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Who sells the coolest RGB to BNC cables?

Ugh Hydlide? Ballz 3D? Have fun Quiet Feet.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I went into Hydlide knowing little and expecting Ys. Still disappointed.

Charles Get-Out posted:

I like these guys https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/ I've got a bunch of their cables and have had 0 issues. Searching for BNC should pull up their RGB -> BNC cables.
Thanks! Great site, I'm sure that I've bought from them in the past.

They have an RGB to BNC that I want, but it's for EUR RGB. My consoles are North American and some Japanese. The pinout for those are the same, so would I also need a Japanese JP21 to European RGB SCART converter? Retro gaming cables seems to only have the opposite of that, which I guess would work with a male-male and a female-female adapter added to the mix. But 4 cables when only one should do the job sounds iffy.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Oh thanks that's good to know. I've been SCARTing the whole time then. Should I be worried about combined or separate sync for Genesis and SNES?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I started up Romancia / Dragon Slayer Jr. recently. It's cryptic in a kind of an enjoyable way. It also has one of the best town musics ever. I would be interested in more retro games that you can beat in half an hour and/or have great town musics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGSEVVQumuE
:dance:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

I just finished Castlevania Portrait of Ruin. Who wants to hear what I thought?
Did you mash the character switch button for them to yell JONATHON and CHARLOTTE over eachother? This and hitting things with a book are all I remember.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Japanese audiences are much more committed to the reset button. I have nothing to base this on but I'm sticking with it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Doc Morbid posted:

James Pond 2: Codename Robocod is a classic and I will not hear otherwise :colbert:

Well, maybe not. Actually I just have fond memories of it because for some reason it was on all our school computers back in the mid-90s, along with Ski or Die.

If I were to only ever play a single James Pond game, which should it be?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

d0s posted:

Here's the second prototype of my Amiga jump remapper, now it retains the second button when off for games that use it so it never has to be disconnected, and allows either second button only for jumping when on or both second button and up so going up ladders and stuff in certain games isn't awkward, controlled by the secondary silver switch:

This is still hacked together with Radioshack parts and not exactly nice enough to sell to other people yet (a lot of the inside contacts are too close for comfort due to the weird design of the radioshack project box) but I'm looking for different parts to buy in bulk and will make a batch of 20 to see how demand is. It's made a lot of Amiga games way more enjoyable to play with a pad for me.

This is hilarious but functional and I would argue worth selling if people want an early sloppy version.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Old video games are no laughing matter.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Hardest official NES games? It's for a bet. straight-up difficulty over tedium preferred, but tedium is okay too.

Leaning towards Bayou Billy, Jeckle and Hyde.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

falz posted:

Find the Google doc of The Mexican Runner's list of games, he lists difficulty there. Although he considered Ghosts n Goblins a 3/10..
This sheet has exactly what I'm looking for, thanks.

univbee posted:

Also depends a lot on your definition of "beat", like Bases Loaded was one of the longest games to beat for TMR because he played a full season of 80 games.

I think Silver Surfer is probably up there, as that game is several slices of bullshit.

I'm not sure how this bet is meant to play out, since there are so many other variables (would Tengen games like Rolling Thunder count? What about Japan-only games? Who's determining difficulty?)

The person in question was not impressed by TMR's record, saying that they could beat NES games for money. The bet is $20 for a game of my choice.

There are way too many rules so that no one backs out or wins on a dumb technicality. I've limited the game pool to licensed NES. No famicom-only, pirates, hacks, nor language barriers. I am giving them two months because there are other life obligations and a new Zelda game. Save states and guides etc are okay for practice and research, but all attempts at a full run must be streamed. I will not choose something with passwords or game saves.

They've been a good sport about it so far, and I'm tempted to say something more reasonable than Silver Surfer or give them a choice of a few. Maybe a list of games with Silver Surfer as the easiest. I think they can do it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

al-azad posted:

Legacy of the Wizard you just need to take the time to map it out, it's just a game that needs time.

The NES version of GnG is intentionally harder than the arcade one but you get infinite lives so again, just a matter of time.

Athena I think you'll lose your friend. They'll shoot themselves before the first stage is over. It's the only way to erase the memory of bad graphics and ear bleeding sounds.

Who said friend? I wouldn't mind a game that simply takes time, but true madness or hosed up obscure difficulty is great.

For being such a good sport I will them choose between:
Silver Surfer
Athena
Bump 'N' Jump
Ikari Warriors

Especially brutal with the last two considering no cheat codes so no continues. I wanted to say Back to the Future Part II & III and Adventure Island 1, but with youtube guides and save state practice these are possible. Ninja Gaiden and Battletoads are hard but outside of the speed bike level they're not hosed up hard. Legacy of the Wizard would be doable with a walkthrough.

I'll mull it over for a few more hours before issuing the death sentence.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Is there a definitive 'best' N64 Bomberman for single player?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Really cool candy cab progress HKR. :allears:

If you're adding stuff to the OP, can you please add this important N64 homebrew?

https://github.com/sanni/controllertest/tree/master/N64-Port

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What is the cheap option for buying NES/SNES/n64/Genesis game cases in bulk? Ideally I'd like one case that can do all 4. I inherited a nice color laser printer from work and it's time to hit up the cover project and stop letting my carts rattle around in a drawer.

For Genesis at least, you know those lots of dozens of sports games that no one buys? Buy 'em.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Kids these days can play their ROMs right in the browser! Back in my day we had to emulate poor Pokemon Gold translations in the snow, uphill both ways!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Ballz posted:

Any thoughts about making a new thread about rom hacks/translations/emulation? With RHDN out to lunch right now I thought it'd be cool to have a place to talk about things like Metroid Rogue Dawn or the ridiculous Link to the Past rom hack that turns it into a loving Conker game.

Feels like such conversation here tends to be fleeting, so I was thinking it might be nice to have a dedicated thread for it.

I wanted to do a ROM hacking and translations thread, got the ok to make one, and then started writing an OP. The scope kept getting bigger and bigger and eventually apathy set in. I can't find the doc offhand but it was going have the following:
- What is ROM hacking?
- Hacking tutorial posts from the previous version of this thread.
- Notable English Translations
- Notable ROM hacks (non-Sonic/Mario)
- Brief history of Mario Hacking, tools, and notable hacks.
- Brief history of Sonic Hacking, tools, and notable hacks.
- General ROM hacking tools, documents, resources, and practices.

I would argue that RHDN down is a terrible time to make a thread, since that's a great resource for downloads and finding hacks. Just hunting down links to make a thread would be a pain.
Somewhat related, everyone should have this web-based IPS patcher bookmarked: http://wanderingcoder.net/projects/JPS/ . Never download an IPS patcher again.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

:goonsay: um but does it have Beat file support?
Nah it's barebones IPS. Works offline if you save it I think, but it wouldn't obsolete anything more advanced than Lunar IPS.

Ballz posted:

It's a shame that rhdn doesn't really have any competition because when it does go down it REALLY makes it harder to find things. If you do find your WIP thread I'd be interested in finishing it for you. Otherwise I might put something together myself, although it probably wouldn't be nearly so comprehensive.
Sure, I'll try to scrounge it up in the next few days and PM it over.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

XYZ posted:

So Ikaruga is a very hard, very awesome game. I've never played the Dreamcast or GameCube versions but the Steam release is solid.

What are some other shooter's should I try? PC releases, preferably.

Mobile Light Force aka Gunbird

http://store.steampowered.com/app/379370/

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

We're allowed to talk about Yoshi in Sonic 2? The level transition or title card crashes the real hardware. ROM mirror here.Try the special stage and Tails.

It's a great hack but a little unfinished. I imagine xeno (iirc) wanted to add end of level results screens and clean up some spots.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 1, 2017

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

This is so cool. I couldn't find it on romhacking.net. Could you link me to the patch or pm me info on how to obtain it?
It was never published there. Did you have trouble finding it in the description of that video or my link earlier? Maybe I messed it up, cant check link now.

E:late

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 2, 2017

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

I've been playing randomixed Link to the Past and it's been interesting. Got the level four sword before the first palace but could get the bow, gloves, or the mirror for a long time meaning that I couldn't finish several dungeons until I stumbled onto those items.

If you want to do there's two things you need to know that aren't explained anywhere. First, saving and quitting and reloading can set you back to Link's house, the sanctuary, or the mountain cave. So if you get stuck in the dark world with only a tiny area that you can wander in and no mirror like I did, saving and quitting can get you back to the other side so you can find more stuff. The other thing is that in the grove with the flute kid, even though it disables any regular shovel drops there can still be an item there. I dug up the area and since nothing spawned after about twenty tries I said, "Oh, I guess they just didn't put anything here in the randomizer." Turns out there was something there and I had to dig up the entire area to find it.

The "wacky" text that the replace some of the dialog with is really annoying.

I'm playing with a "normal" difficulty randomization and I think I'm going to do this again with a hard one. It's pretty interesting playing Zelda and thinking, "Okay, what can I go to with the items I have..."

Can you do the LttP randomizer and MSU-1 hack at the same time?

e: I think not. One is Japan-only, the other US-only.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Had fun with the LttP randomizer. Castle dungeon gave me bombs, exploring the overworld gave me high-end sword, red tunic, golden bee in bottle, and a ton of heart pieces/containers. Now I'm stuck at a point where I need arrows for the first dungeon that gave me flippers, can't get into the other two, and generally can't progress because I don't remember every chest location. I've hunted down nearly all of them but must be missing something crucial somewhere.

Really fun way to play LttP but I might be finished here.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Anybody you gives you something will be randomized, so you can go to the Zora who sells you the flippers now and get whatever they have. Even though you don't have the power glove, you can get into the whirlpool and warp to there.

The fountain fairies are the only characters that seem to not be changed like this. You can still get the magic boomerang the same way and they give you red potions for empty bottles, but no other upgrades. However, a few chests have been placed in the large fairy's room to make up for that. Oh, and the bomb and arrow upgrade fairy only gives you one additional capacity for each 100 rupees, though the dialog is still the same.

Good info here, but I was still stuck. I even ran through a couple guides and just could not find something.

I generated a new ROM that turned out to be a veritable piņata and I'm having a blast.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

This is uncomfortable to look at.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Kid Fenris posted:

I'm giving a prize to the person who guesses what this mysterious unlabeled Genesis game is.

https://twitter.com/kidfenris/status/854020568127074304

quote:

The back of the cartridge provides a small but potentially misleading clue: the Acclaim logo. It suggests a title published by Acclaim, but this might not be the case. These cartridges apparently housed all sorts of late-in-the-game Sega Genesis releases, so that widens the list of suspects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

falz posted:

You most certainly could do that with a network boot, but it would take 100x the effort to figure out and doesn't make sense at a scale of 1 device.

That's pretty much retro gaming, but is there a $150 cable that can improve the setup?

• Locked thread