Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

LentThem posted:

The big issue with going cashless is that now your ability to pay for meals or taxi after a long day working or being out depends entirely on how much battery your phone has remaining. Nice ending to a 20-minute taxi ride, guess I can't pay you unless I borrow your car charger

I mostly lurk this thread because my own China experiences are long over at this point but I could go on for days and days on how full cashless now is as ridiculous a goal as full communism now. It's a technocrat fever dream where everything works all the time, no hackers exist, and governments and corporations are staffed by angels who could never abuse your personal information. I could maybe see a decentralized blockchain-derived technology enabling something like this in a half dozen technical generations, but that's not what China's gone for and not something they're even interested in because it implies their citizens have a right to privacy. It's still one of the leading things to talk about to cyber-worshiping idiots because they've only ever seen a TED talk where a mocked out infrastructure worked instantly and flawlessly.

I say this as the owner of a tech startup, incidentally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Duckbag posted:

Seems like it would also be very handy for businesses themselves... but of course it would be corrupt and unethical to sell customer metadata to large corporations for marketing purposes and no one would ever do that.

The service provider would get interesting data, but the end businesses don't get anything really sellable. I've worked extensively with very large 'big data' sets and one of the most hilarious things about talking to businesses is that everyone thinks they've got valuable data. Then I ask them how many customer records they've got, and how many entries per customer. And I get back something like "100,000, with between 1,000 and 5,000 records per customer."

Dude, come back when you've added at least 2 zeroes to both of those figures and then you might have something I'm interested in. You're a minnow in the ocean at those numbers. At 5000 records per customer you probably know enough about them to say when they open their email so you know when to send them ads, and that's about it.

These relevancy numbers will only get more stark as more people get using the internet, which is why the real question is how you keep some dick in the middle from soaking up all the metadata like a gluttonous spider. Decentralized solutions are the way forward from a technical perspective, but you can bet your rear end that all of Asia and most of the West will hate that idea the way they are now.

e: As an afterthought, the analytic problem is also one that could take a decade to even remotely do correctly, so even if you have all of this data there's no immediate danger of going straight to 1984. However, the analytic problem is one that could be solved with current technology and techniques, and lol if you don't think the makers of the Great Firewall aren't already working on the Heavenly Eye or some similar load of bullshit.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 9, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I think my favorite part is the overarching theme of "china is doing great believe me, look at all these numbers that I will immediately acknowledge are bullshit, but believe me, china owns"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

It's less that corruption takes root and more that that's the default state of human society and only in incredibly rare/lucky circumstances does a less-corrupt government or society emerge but maybe it's only temporary and will revert to the norm?

nah there's a number of known ways people can handle corrupt societies and make more transparent institutions. voltaire, locke, bacon, and to a somewhat lesser extent adam smith wrote a lot of thoughts on that stuff during the enlightenment. there's some more modern stuff but it all stems most directly from those enlightenment thinkers so it's important to be familiar with them first. their thoughts on the matter have generally borne out in that corruption is inversely proportional to the amount of accountability involved in a specific job.

from a historical perspective, even the most corrupt 20th century+ western democratic administrations have been positively saintly compared to the rampant grift of their more totalitarian counterparts both historically and contemporally.

the big hurdle basically comes in when you realize that governments only accept accountability when it's basically forced on them. most jobs have some sort of steward that impose accountability. your boss makes sure you don't steal poo poo from the shop, his regional manager makes sure he doesn't steal the night deposit etc. with governments, they don't have anything above them, so it only comes through popular outcry like the magna carta or outright blood-splattered revolt like the french revolution.

i'll give you one guess as to which china will choose.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Stringent posted:

wealth beyond measure, outlander

also disease beyond measure

would be really interested to hear how many people get sickened from the inevitable bacterial and fungal blooms

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Haier posted:

A bunch of poor people in markets wholeselling garbage electronic parts made in lovely, lovely factories owned by awful people.
A bunch of poor people working in factories on the outskirts of the city making electronic parts for tiny pay.
A bunch of degree cheaters working for fancy local and foreign companies designing stuff, which all still need the oversight of imported foreign management or leaders or else nothing gets finished.
Regular Chinese not connected to any of this.
A bunch of foreign tourists who think it is some sort of cheap "makers" paradise, and rave about it, or use it to buy wholesale garbage, hence the idea it is a high tech city when really it's the physical equivalent of Ali Baba in a few areas of the city.
Average, Chinese-quality transportation and city services.

I was talking to some Chinese that work for the companies in the Hi-Tech Park (where all the software/hardware companies are), and they said that overtime is just regular time, because their salaries are waged on projects finished and everyone needs bonus/carrot-on-a-stick hanging over them or else nothing will ever get finished. People regularly work 60-70+ hours a week doing most likely 10 hours of work, hoping that they can finish projects. That one crazy girl working in ZTE that I banged said people often just sleep under their desks instead of going home, but do very little actual work there and just stay to pretend they are hard working. They all make like $1200 USD per month or less.

It's nothing like the media portrays it as, which is normal for everything about China. Chaoshan Girl's whole family works in the electronics industry and it's about as duct-taped together as one would expect from a Chinese industry bent on cheating foreign people out of money. Everyone she knows from school is either a wholesaler or owns the factories through family, and her frustration with the quality problems of the output is enough that she hates the industry, most Chinese people, and she wants to abandon China by any means necessary.

Yeah, my own China experiences involve trying desperately to get product out of one of the larger Shenzhen factories (they make tons of stuff for Staples) and just being staggered by how incredibly lovely literally everything was. And the note about awful people is also spot on. Even with a professional team of liaisons on the ground China side, literally every word that came out of their mouths was a lie.

They lied to us about product specs (I disassembled one of their samples and caught them lying about the chips they used).
They lied to us about unit costs.
They lied to us about delivery dates.
They lied to us about their QA procedure (and even faked pictures and a QA line for this one).
They lied to us about RMA policies (they simply refused to honor our contract regarding those).

Every goddamn word was lie, lie, lie and every product we got from them was utter trash. And this was with a firm of professional managers with over a decade of experience in Shenzhen helping us manage expectations and relationships on a daily basis. I can only imagine how hard these people gently caress poor dumb bastards trying to set up a small business or something.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Haier posted:

Since Chaoshan women are not supposed to be educated or work outside after marriage, her mom constantly whines to her friends that she regrets sending her daughter to university because she saves her money and doesn't give it all to her like other unmarried girls.

i'm swiftly beginning to understand why she's been a semi-regular fixture in the ongoing odyssey of your dong instead of the star of one chapter

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

curufinor posted:

Hospitality is part and parcel of super-loving-patriarchal judeo-christo-islamic dudes-hanging-out-in-desert religion. That was what Sodom and Gomorrah were hosed for in the good book, not dudes loving each other in the butt

It's required because the alternative is incredible violence to strangers and a general inability to travel anywhere

Simmer down sparky, "southern hospitality" is a well documented tradition that goes back to landowning southern aristocrats prior to the American revolution. The tradition mandated extending food, beds, and service for free to any guest that showed up at their door. Religion had nothing to do with it and it was practiced heavily by freemasons who pointedly did not want to talk about religion. It was supposed to showcase your wealth and status in a vague imitation of British aristocrats, and in a practical sense it was needed because there weren't inns anywhere near plantation homes.

As time went on and more aristocrats overbred and lost their land the tradition filtered down the classes because there were ex-riches who still felt it was important. By the American Civil War it was a largely accepted Dixie tradition. Reconstruction and increasing urbanization later weakened the tradition by putting hotels closer to things that mattered and it's now largely a folk tale that is referenced to get fussy friends and visitors to eat more at the dinner table.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Outrail posted:

You mean stone age barely sentient animals (humans in general) didn't have genealogical records or incest taboos? Wtf?

I assume societies back then were pseudopolygomous, so it'd be pretty hard to keep track of which kids were your mother's kids, much less who your manslut father boned ~15 years ago.

Most genetic evidence supports your gut, yeah. Humans and our related evolutionary branches seem to work best (biologically speaking) with monogamy supported by occasional adultery.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the issue with the 'americans are super truthful and straightforward' thing is what are you comparing it to

americans lie a fair bit, sure, but the things they lie about are generally relatively small things for social situations etc. there are tons of social cues you can invoke in the US and Canada to demand drop dead honesty and lots of examples people can point to in their own lives where ignoring those cues led to some repercussions that are best avoided. foreigners will likely not understand these social cues very well and as a result are more likely to get lied to, but most western societies have enough contact with foreigners that foreigners who DO invoke the appropriate social cues will get the benefit that natives get the supermajority of the time.

when you compare it to norms in many other cultures, this makes americans, canadians, brits, and scandinavians loving paragons of truth and bluntness. peruvians, argentinians, and brazilians lie to each other so routinely that their respective governments had to run goddamn public access campaigns on the value of truthfulness and how punctuality and reliability were the cornerstones of a proper economy. peru could quantify that it was losing 15% of its GDP per year because no motherfucker on the planet could be trusted when they gave a date for anything from a meeting to a delivery. even some dude you have known all your life cannot get a real answer out of you when you ask when a load of steel is showing up to the construction site or if you are meeting him to talk about the mccalley deal at lunch.

mainlanders easily rank up there with that level of deceit. one factory i worked with out there back when i did business in shenzen told me that sir, everything is fine with your order, we will be shipping it tomorrow morning, sir. i had already been burned by this motherfucker once so i called a friend of mine in the area and asked them to call the factory himself; he'd known the factory manager since he got into business as an interpreter 5 years back and had a supposedly great relationship with him. again, was told everything is fine. i still didn't trust the motherfucker and told my contact there i'd double his daily rate if he went out and did a site visit for me.

one hour later he sent me a picture showing how the loving loading area of the factory was charred black and mostly melted because there had been a fire earlier that week and no shipments had gone in or out for the last 4 days. no more were going out for at least another week, the damage was so bad. of course when i called up the factory and told them i'd caught them lying to me, they denied they'd ever said anything of the sort, EVEN WHEN I PLAYED THEIR VOICE FROM AN HOUR BEFORE BACK AT THEM IN THE SKYPE CALL. he simply claimed "i don't know who that is, but it isn't me, sir." it's one of the numerous reasons why i no longer do business in china.

i mean you can talk about how it's nice to hear that someone likes DOTA and extreme kayaking in the same breath or something but the idea that that relates to some level of valuable honesty is patently absurd. it's also not just a xeno thing. chinese people lie to each other constantly, about serious, serious poo poo. i dated one girl from a tiny village an hour west of beijing for a while and one of the things we broke up over was the fact that i donate blood to the red cross. you'd think this would be a really trivial thing but she was insanely creeped out by it, because of her distinct and powerful memories of local government officials piling into her village and demanding everyone donate a pint of blood. for accident victims in the city, they said. she got out of it because she was a little girl at the time, and thank gently caress she did because it was a completely illegal black market operation where the government officials stole the blood of the villagers and didn't even have the decency to sterilize their needles while they were doing with it. there was a loving AIDS epidemic in the village in the months after this blood raid because the officials were using dirty needles to draw the blood. she simply could not separate herself from that horrifying experience and broke up with me because she was absolutely loving positive i had some sort of bloodborne disease by now if i had donated 2 gallons of blood the way i said i did - because some government officials lied up and down and literally stole blood out of her family and friends' veins.

and we absolutely know that plenty of face-worshipping mainlander clods will lie about everything from their marriage prospects to their health from the stories in this very thread, so social lying is still at least as big a thing in china as it is in america.

it'd be nice if we lived in a world where you could take every word that came out of someone's mouth as canon gospel but that hasn't been the human experience literally ever. the loving epic of gilgamesh has people lying to each other up and down the road about seriously mortal poo poo. so yeah, if i have two people in a room, and one will lie to me about who they're loving and what they do on the weekend, and the other will lie to me about work, play, history, and what the sky looks like, i will absolutely consider the first person irreproachably honest, regardless of the fact that they're putting on a show.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

BioTech posted:

Been two years and I never watch these kind of movies sober, but I think something like that happens.

There is a sniper and the Chinese solution is to empty everything they have into a tree, cutting it down and taking cover behind it. The sniper shrugs and walks away.
This is portrayed as a great victory for China. Despite the fact that a few of them died.
I think he comes back again and shoots some more, before they kill him.

There is also a kung fi knife fight with wolves.
And an enormous Chinese military exercise gets infiltrated by a few hundred drugdealers or something.
Maybe a bioweapon was involved too, though it could be that I'm mixing things up.

I can really recommend this movie.

This kinda sounds like that one North Korean cartoon that portrays the Koreans as happy woodland chipmunks or some bullshit and the Americans as massive wolves with mechanical whale submarines and huge airships. The chipmunks keep the big bad wolves at bay with sticks, smiles, and sunshine.

I was wanting to be a wolf in about 15 seconds because their toys were so loving awesome.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

VideoTapir posted:

Yeah, loving with the distractions of tens of millions of unmarriageable military-age misanthropes is a good idea.

If my experiences with mainlanders on steam is indicative half of them get on just to try to annoy westerners anyway so honestly the CCP probably just figures this will work out for them by giving them more free Twitter trolls.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i'm slightly curious why CG hasn't given up yet and just immigrated to any place that will take her

it's very clear that she will never fit in around shenzen since she's not a drooling retard drowning in her own lies, and it's not like her family is a big reason for her to stay. it's unlikely she'd be able to just cruise in to any anglo country because the overriding sentiment in all of them has been 'gently caress off we're full' for over a decade but at the very least she should be able to get permanent residence in hong kong and at least be around people who give a poo poo about basic human decency

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it's kind of a no win situation for the kid in some respects, at least in theory. if you raise them white then there will always be a little dissonance when they look Asian but the voice is white and they have no stories nor roots from their apparent culture. other people will make it weird at some point or another and that's a fact. but by the same token, if you bend over backward to honor a culture that they literally only have skin deep you can end up depriving them of any home, anywhere, because they inherently have components from both.

in practice, of course, most places in the united states are so desensitized to assimilated foreign looking people now that it's not a loving big deal and holy poo poo chill out you crazy knob. like make sure they learn the language, that's fine so they can go down that path if they choose to, but acting like there is some deep and mystical connection between dna and culture is incredibly dumb.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Spatial posted:

That's absolutely loving insane. :stare:

it's common enough that i don't register it anymore. there are traditional remedies that are effective - the herb gymnema actually does have some real effectiveness against diabetes, for example, with no side effects outside of allergies - but for every one actual, factual, helpful herb you can take to do something chemical big pharma can't, there's 10,000 quack cures that do nothing but make the problem worse by keeping the patient from seeking actual, practical help. the grain of truth naturally gets exploited by tons of sanctimonious idiots, only they are idiots so when they run out of the grain of truth they'll start loving around with quack cures. you can see this in the West in pretty much any chiropractor's office. chiropractors can do some serious good and the ones that are truly studious and intellectually honest are some of the most effective medical practitioners out there. but in general, chiropractors think they know way more than they actually do, so half the poo poo they do is at best unhelpful and more practically outright harmful.

in china, we just call that phenomenon face culture.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

epsilon posted:

Dude she's upset that you're leaving and that she's never going to see you again. Are you really this dense?

are you going to internet diagnose her as being madly in love with haier deep down too

don't stop, this is my fetish

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Outrail posted:

Haier's posts are better than a soap opera. Sorry about CG man, she was my favourite character.

Seriously, copy/paste all your posts into a word document and send it to a publisher, you've got most of a book ready to roll here.

this has the fringe benefit of ensuring he will never, ever return to china because the CCP will blacklist him for defaming the mainland

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the real result here is that Haier now has the time to completely break his donger before leaving china

this will cause massive face loss to dozens of chinese men when he leaves a complete detailing of his exploits in a public place on the day he leaves

a lynch mob will form, but they will be unable to find him as he is on a plane somewhere over india, so they will collectively poo poo on the sidewalk, drink warm water, and have a rest (in the sidewalk poo poo)

face will be satisfied, because while they failed to actually deal with the foreigner, they got really, really mad about him. chabuduo~

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Duckbag posted:

Or I majored in sociology

dont make your problem our problem

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Savage For The Winjun posted:

you wouldnt download a car

gently caress yes i would

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

WarpedNaba posted:

What if it's a Pinto

still would, just changes what the most efficient use of the downloaded car is

that is to say, instead of driving it to work, I would glue a gopro to the roof of it, drive to a cliff, and throw a brick on the accelerator

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

Wait, is "Americans don't like getting STEM degrees" a thing? STEM is all I hear about.

what do you mean by degrees

because liberal arts undergraduate degrees are still pretty popular, law schools still stamp out more lawyers per year than the entire law profession can tolerate...but in general, if you go for an 'actual' graduate degree, it's some kind of STEM profession or STEM derivative.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Haier posted:

Chaoshan Girl and I have gone our separate ways officially, but we will keep minor contact on Wechat. She was upset to find out that her TCM gallbladder medicine is boiled chicken and animal gallbladders with some stevia in it, to get all that Qi out and transfer it to her gallbladder. I'm so over talking about TCM with Chinese people.
but not upset enough to actually admit she's going to cause herself an unnecessary permanent injury by continuing to take it, of course

it continues to stun me how anyone lives past 40 in china when the solution to all life's ailments are generally equivalent to chomping on a thousand dollar placebo. my go to answer to the the morons in my life who think the grass is so much greener over the pacific has been boiled down to one word: "Paracelsus."

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

It's probably the yellow ant from simant

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I'm genuinely surprised that a state run newspaper would admit there are any problems, anywhere in china

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I hope I never encounter large testicle veins in the real world.

i personally want to see the charted scale for large vs small testicle veins

like how large is large and why the absolute gently caress has this data been collected

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

big time bisexual posted:

a friendly amateur basketball match in shanxi

what the actual gently caress it looks like the ref was the one who threw the first punch

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i want to start a pool on how many words haier will write on the feelings of relief having left china

i'm in at 10k for $50

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Haier posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYWBGVDngpi/

It's got the word "Chinese" in it. I guess it counts.

that was nowhere near as horrifying as I was expecting

it ended up being kinda cool actually

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i don't

what????

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

here lies haier

he always scored

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Jeoh posted:

I've never had any problems at immigration including the time I had a really bad flu in the middle of the N1N1 crisis. Then again, I'm white.

ive had plenty of problems at immigration going to and from central america precisely because i'm white/young (i one time saw an agent look back, catch me in the line, and smile broadly - he naturally hit me up for a bribe before i even had my papers out). immigration and customs are universally awful experiences and while i love going to places, i loathe traveling to them because i know it's going to be one long string of bullshit until i hit my hotel room.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Also Blistex posted this like a year ago but I never understood the chemistry of it all, what is the nitrogen doing to the soil?

fertilizer is not pH neutral. nitrogen is delivered to the soil in the form of ammonium, this is true of both synthetic fertilizer and organic ones made from manure. the ammonium seeps into the soil, breaks down, and releases both digestible nitrogen and......H+ ions.

exactly what balance is appropriate varies from place to place. rainfall, soil drainage, and the plant involved (soybeans like a different fertilizer mix than wheat, for example) all affect how much fertilizer you should use to both maximize yields and not cause massive soil acidification. it's a delicate dance and it needs to be recalculated often. but the calculation is not mystical nor confusing. you take some samples, you plug the variables in to a known equation, you get it back out. it's simple. of course, this being china, the farmers don't actually understand what they are doing and don't think about next year. so they figure if one heap of fertilizer must be good, two heaps must be better, and start the process of salting the earth in the biblical sense so loving nothing will grow in their fields in a couple years.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

most modern farmers aren't interested in regressive practices simply because people are taking a long enough view now of how one bad crop could run them out for years. the largest problem is initial cash injections to do a lot of stuff. irrigation is a big one that's all bass ackward right now. water resources are strained in a number of areas, but the solution is pretty much known. if you replaced the traditional sprinklers with drip irrigation, you practically eliminate water waste from evaporation (which is considerable in sprinkler systems). the problem is that initial deployment of drip irrigation is pretty expensive and farmers don't make a lot of money due to the constant downward pressure on food prices that will continue at least until world hunger is solved.

the biggest difference between chinese agriculture and most other places is the outright refusal to admit they're wrong about something. i've worked with outreach programs that teach these sorts of basic concepts to loving west africans and even when they just sort of roll up on a small stead and tell them "yo man this is how u farm" the response is more often than not "daaaaamn that OWNS" and when they check back in a year the farmer's adopted at least some of the good habits they were teaching.

in china it's more

Darkest Auer posted:

china soil different, u cannot understand

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I know this isn't the climate change thread, but what are people's predictions on China and the region over the next 20-50 years? I don't see any good outcomes, Asia and Africa both seem hopelessly hosed.
India's prime farmland and population centres are going to be sporadically flooded and eroded and hit with the odd super storm that becomes more and more frequent and severe as time passes until a huge percentage of its agricultural productivity is gone. China will also be facing severe resource shortages, basic poo poo like clean water and productive farmland and flooding and seasonal storm issues in many of its major coastal cities. Smaller asian countries are also hosed, some are nearly florida-flat and in typhoon zones.

I just can't see how the whole region isn't going to collapse into absolute hell for the majority of people. Civil war, mass starvations and migrations, genocides and death camps for illegal climate refugees flooding into countries that are already struggling to support their own population.

The UN's own panel on climate change presents a really, really weird picture on it. In 2010 their most aggressive warming schedule that would require every African making as much as a modern-day Finn (and using exclusively fossil fuels to power the lifestyle) still had FEWER people under water and food stress than in 2000, not more. They took the deaths from climate change as some massive assumptions that all deaths above and beyond the year 2000's malaria, flooding, etc figures were due to climate change, and nothing else - which is insane on its face. The more recent report looks more dire, but the scientific assumptions are even harder to swallow. The death figure assumptions have doubled with no explanation, and the atmospheric CO2 projections have ignored recent slowdowns in developed world emissions rates and cut the projected absorption potential of the oceans when there's been no data to support that assumption. Even the sea level rise numbers keep changing from a couple of inches to a foot and a half without anyone really fielding an explanation as to why the figures are changing. There's been a lot of flak of the UN's committee from respected climate scientists that they're not practicing science anymore, they're just being alarmist. It's loving 2017 and even the Nature Conservancy, one of the most active conservation groups on the planet, occasionally calls the UN's climate data fake news. It's insane how hard it is to actually get real information about it.

At this point you can be assured of a handful of things in an assuredly warmer 2100:
- There will be more rain
- There will be more damaging storms
- There will be more plants (because plants generally like warmer climates more than cooler ones, and in a geological sense we've been fairly cool for the last few hundred years)

How much more rain? How many more damaging storms? How many more plants? Will they be plants we like for food and stuff? The preponderance of evidence is that climate change is real and happening (so deniers can get hosed) but it's likely to be pretty mild on the grand scale and not the apocalyptic event that most of us have massive hard-ons for.

The effects in Southeast Asia in the next 100 years will have much more to do with local habits and practices than global phenomena if you buy this interpretation. Notably, don't loving drown your poo poo in fertilizer and cover it in leaky goddamn plastic, what the absolute gently caress is wrong with you

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I think we're absolute going to see some holocausts, death camps, genocides, and mass starvation, and even nuclear war if things get hot enough in the coming generation, and Asia is going to be ground zero for it. India is poised to lose about 40% of its farmland, Vietnam well over 50%, and global food production in general is going to take a big hit. I don't see what other outcome there possibly could be.

Desertification data in the UN reports presumes that people will eventually use almost double the amount of water per-capita that they currently use and does not attempt to explain what will cause this rise

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Like don't get me wrong I'm not trying to say tomorrow will be magically good because reasons

But the more I've tried to dig down into precisely how I'm gonna die the less I'm convinced it'll be any way the doomsayers are predicting

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is that worldwide? Could they be assuming that developing countries "catch up" to American water use levels or at least come close plus have larger populations?

(I honestly don't know if we Americans are the most wasteful it just seemed like a safe assumption)

the 2015 report took global average per-capita use and simply doubled it with no explanation

the net effect is that americans use twice as much water and africans use twice as much water, but americans end up using something on the order of 8 or 9 times as much as africans due to no scaling

this is ignoring the fact that the warmest scenarios basically presume that global poverty is eliminated

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Jeoh posted:

http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/09/02...ional-identity/

eight thousand years of history
five thousand years of butthurt

quote:

“If we desire to preserve the survival of the Han Nation, then it is imperative that we venerate the Yellow Emperor.”
loving wow, this is some warhammer 40k poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

to be fair on the french food front when someone brings up french cooking they are talking about some sort of snack or dessert about 90% of the time and it is easy to forget that the french cook actual food on occasion

• Locked thread