Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

was the last thread closed because of the m word

because I still don't really get why that was a big deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Haier I sometimes end up with weird girls while dating, and when they're doing something kinda too crazy for my comfort zone I get this really reflective mood and think "Why did it come to this, what am I doing with this girl, what am I doing with my life."

Do you ever have that?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

The one thing I find the most fascinating is actually the wechat thing that haier does. Say what you want, chinese peple seem really friendly and open about meeting people just because they're near them.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Question to the goons currently in china, prompted through the elf tinder photo: I know that chinese culture is really socially restricted in some ways, see marrying before you're 25 (or 30?) or stuff like face, but on the other hand they seem really open about some weird concepts such as ghosty, TCM or spirits.
Does this spiritual side, coupled with the "no why" face-saving rubbish, lead to a lot of chinese living in their own weird reality constructs, that never get questioned? For example, do some chinese people have stuff like otherkin or furries, that just never get confronted by anyone because it'd mean losing face? Could a CEO of a company stroll into the company wearing a fur-suit one morning, tell everybody "My sign is tiger. So I decided I am tiger now. My new english name is now tony." and nobody would ever question it because he's got more status, and questioning it would lead to face loss all around?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

OfficialGBSCaliph posted:

There's a documentary on the BBC right now suggesting the terracotta army was built by Greek trained sculptors. So disrespectful!

Just you wait, china is going to send it's fishers to the mediterranean soon with statements about how greece is a chinese territory since 300 BC.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Blistex posted:

A little bit of back story to set the stage...

My favorite part of this thread is the stories by people down in the trenches of asian countries, and your stories have been very entertaining so far. Please go on!

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

You know why she's 22, then 28, then 25, then whatever? Because she's really 17 and is trying to find out at what point you'll freak out.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Let us English posted:

I wish I lived in the hard drinking area of China. Everyone in Sichuan is in bed by 11 o'clock.

Don't geckos keep spiders away? I'll take the geckos in the bungalo.

We occasionally get them at work, and their the least harmful of pests. I'll take 100 geckos over the giant toilet spiders, poo poo eating rats, mosquito swarms, giant wasps, or poisonous caterpillars that show up more frequently than chill lizard bros.

I lived on sri lanka for a few years as a kid, and I freaking loved gekkos. They're kinda cute, eat a shitload of annoying insects such as mosquitos, and every so often just randomly fall down from the ceiling with a audible *splat* and scamper away unharmed. They rule. Also don't knock your spider-bros, they eat misquitos too, and if you've ever lived in a country that is just filled by them you appreciate every other creepy crawly that eats them. We had jumping spiders which were awesome to watch when they jumped onto some insect while on the ceiling like in the matrix or something.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

lmao, just lmao if you still think america isn't a garbage tier country after electing trump

china #2! (Taiwan #1)

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

explain pls

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Ooh, didn't think to activate captions.

That's pretty loving funny, haha

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I know exactly too little about worldwide politics to be scared of Trumps china confrontation course, and instead just really enjoy chinas autistic screeching about Taiwan being completely mocked and ignored by Trump and cronies.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

the funniest thing about oohhhboy is that him getting all defensive and huffy about his boring rear end posts is the most interesting "chinar" thing he's posted

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Today I saw a chinese couple at a huge mall im Berlin, with the guy carrying multiple shopping bags. His gf went to the bathroom and he just kinda did that long sigh you do when you've been shopping for ages and finally get a quiet moment. I chucked and a bit and rolled my eyes at him and he laughed and we shared a brief moment together without saying a word.

Well that's my chinar story for today, god bless.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

In Germany black and yellow face is really not seen as something horrible the way it is in the US, though the concept that it's not really that appropriate is slowly popping up here and there.

Bavarians don't give a gently caress either way.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Pirate Radar posted:

Wait--like, the US exported the concept of blackface/yellowface? Nobody in Europe thought of putting makeup on their face and dressing up as a caricature before Americans did it? That's fascinating, I didn't know that.

No, Europeans did and still do it all the time, the concept that it's incredibly racist is something where the US is at the forefront though. Like, when you see someone in Germany running around in blackface (like for fashing) the most liberal people will also say it's incredibly racist, but even generally very liberal people will mostly just kinda scoff at it. "That's a bit distasteful". It simply isn't the same level of scandal in many parts of europe.

I was Spain for 3 Kings festival (the three holy kings from the bible are way more popular than santa in spain, and the big present festival is 8th of january instead of christmas) and the amount of blackface balthazhars is still staggering. Often with blackface helpers, or real african helpers. A couple of generally liberal spanish people I asked told me "yeah well it's a bit racist, but it's not so bad and it's kinda tradition".

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Ohhboyyy just imagine this thread is a game of badminton, and the posters are your HK aunt who wants you to have a bit of fun and play and try to encourage you. Now imagine that you actually find out that it's really not worth your time and effort, and ultimately not much fun for you, because you don't have access to the right equipment, which is interesting stories, an enjoyable way of writing, or basic knowledge on human interactions.

That way everyone involved will be much happier, I'm sure of it.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

In germany we mostly do mental queues in bars or such, we remember who was first and then gez served accordingly. Other than that we form queues, do no idea what that drat bavarian garbage person was talking about.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

oohhboy posted:

Tale of two Siblings

During one of my visits with Popo she decided it was a good time to blow off some steam regarding family issues, namely my Sister's situation.

My Sister had been living in Hong Kong for about 1.5 years by the time I made my visit. Mom had bait and switched/pressured Sister into staying in Hong Kong when there was no plan of any kind causing everybody to scramble to get her situated. Sister had declined accommodation from Popo or any of the family friends initially, couch surfing from one new friend to another from her earlier visits

Eventually she did stay with family friends and was even offered a pretty cushy job teaching a pair of primary school kids English that paid quite well. Popo blamed Sister's tongue stud, but Sister lost the job. She has been hopping from job to job since.

Even from NZ I had heard some of the troubles Sister went through, so when Mom turned to me and ask me to go to Hong Kong for a visit I said no. She even gave me the whole "You will find better jobs and opportunities there and the economy is great!" and offered airfare. I would tell her that is not a plan and it is all very backward pointing to Sister's situation and that I was functionally illiterate there. This went on for 6 months. You might have noticed both Mom and Aunt are very persistent once they latch on an idea regardless of how stupid it is.

Popo told me that she was worried sick the entire time and was extremely happy I came to visit as Sister didn't. When you go visit Popo you get Dim Sum which is a pretty good reason to go and it is a very easy way to pay filial respect with some easy phrases. Sister was likely driven off by Popo's rightly but excessive worrying.

Had she played along and accepted family's hospitality she would have had a much easier time. She is now almost completely dependant on BIL having burned her savings, student loans are calling and worryingly detached from family in HK.

As a finisher she didn't teach BIL any Cantonese greetings when he first arrived which is an inexplicable move.

TL;DR Don't move/go to another country without a plan or goal beyond not dying.

This is actually readable, concise and interest for once. So good on you.

---

So just for kicks I looked at rent prices in Hong Kong, as I always heard they're one of the highest world-wide. And holy moly are they high! It looks like 1500-2000€ for 50m² is pretty much the norm, that is pretty much what I earn a month after taxes. How do people afford to live there? Do jobs pay ridiculously well or something?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Goddamn, that is stupid expensive, but I guess unavoidable seeing as HK doesn't really allow big residential expansion. I did a report on noise pollution in HK while studying and it was crazy densely populated already.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

How goddamn retarded do you have to be that your first instinct when renting a bike is to throw it into a giant pile when you're done, how goddamn anti-social can you be? This makes me legit angry since rental bikes are a really cool concept.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

angel opportunity posted:

How many Chinese people does it take to park a car

https://twitter.com/pdchina/status/854040669584797696

that guy just driving his car away lol

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

True.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Uh she is completely right tho moustaches are for horrible people

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Theyre all out to get my precious flower flower

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Fojar38 posted:

So it's come to my attention that Huawei has an almost Apple-cult like following on the internet

Why

why does apple have an apple-cult like following?

because people are idiots

Thanks for the HK pictures btw, it's on the top 5 of my travel to-do list and I really hope I can go there sometime soon

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Haier posted:

Her: "Sir... this is real?"
Me: "What do you mean?"
Her: "This is what it really looks like outside? Is this a real camera?"
Me: "LOL, no! It's an app. The planets are look like that, but it's an app."
Her: "I don't see Buddha."
Me: "Oh?"
Her: "I don't see him. Does it mean Buddha is not real? Where is he?"
Me: "Buddha isn't flying around in space. The energy dissolved upon passing away after reaching nirvana."
Her: "How do you know?"
Me: "Shut up and enjoy the ride!"

I love your stories because of these weird conversations and interactions, "where is space buddha" is propably the funniest thing I've heard all week. Just the idea of someone looking through a telescope and wondering if they can see space buddha from here is just incredible.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

And so it was that the enlightened buddha died, entering the eternal bliss of nirvana, which just coincidently was located in a stable orbit around the sun, just behind uranus.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Cichlidae posted:

Two Chinese rocket failures in a month. How much face do you lose when your giant flaming space phallus goes flaccid and explodes on the way up?

Should have added more rhino horn to the fuel.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Ceciltron posted:

I'm sitting in the airport in Vancouver and the kid across from me has the most astounding leggings.

that owns

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Holy moly, thats 1704 sticks per person in 2016! Children, women, eldery and everyone included. (In other words, pretty accurate!)

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Speleothing posted:

I dunno, that's less than 6/day.

Also, finally caught up with the thread in time to meet my brother's Chinese gf this weekend.

Actually you're right, google says 68% of chinese are smokers, so that's just 7 a day. Tbh I never thought about how much the average smokers consumes in a year.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Justin Bieber banned from China in order to purify nation

Lmao

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/news/controversial-justin-bieber-banned-china-order-purify-nation/

quote:

Canadian pipsqueak Justin Bieber may have successfully turned around his reputation by staying out of the headlines and converting millions of cynical pop fans by releasing uncomfortably decent music, but his good behaviour tour hasn't yet worked on the Chinese government, who have banned the star from performing in the country.

When a Chinese Bieber fan contacted the Beijing Municipal Bureau of Culture to ask why her idol hasn't been seen in the country for several years, despite scheduling dates in nearby Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore and the Philippines on the Asian leg of his latest world tour, they were met with a friendly if firm response.

"Justin Bieber is a gifted singer, but he is also a controversial young foreign singer," the bureau told the fan in a statement. "In order to maintain order in the Chinese market and purify the Chinese performance environment, it is not suitable to bring in badly behaved entertainers.

"We hope that as Justin Bieber matures, he can continue to improve his own words and actions, and truly become a singer beloved by the public."

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

StevoMcQueen posted:

I was in South Korea last week with the future wife, visiting her hometown, Jinhae. The nearby city of Changwon has a huge roundabout, and according to her, in order to cash in on it's minor fame, Jinhae decided to copy it. But smaller. And in doing so, demolished a perfectly good clocktower to make space, rather than incorporate it into the design. So instead of a pretty little clocktower, they now have a very run of the mill roundabout.

I think I may also now be in the midst of a face battle with my future father in law over our pending wedding.

How?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

bongwizzard posted:

Also is check-splitting not a thing in non-US? I think I have to exchange money with friends maybe 2-4 times a year at max, maybe double that if you include weed stuff. The idea of that being a super desirable feature for an electronic payment system is so weird to me.

tbh it would own, I constantly borrow money from friends because I need cash and don't carry any, and while I can do online banking, using an app to do it in like 10 seconds would be great

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I... RENOUNCE MY CITIZENSHIP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Atlas Hugged posted:

Except there's two separate fees. There's the fee for renouncing and then there's a one-time tax based on what you "would have" paid in taxes over a ten year stretch.

Lmao of course america fleeces it's citizens even when they are trying to get out

• Locked thread