Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Junkfist posted:

Yes ok it's a Kojima universe so it's an autistic fever dream that talks about AI memes and hamburgers and poo poo but the series ends with a timeline of things that definitely, for sure happened.

Meanwhile on earth-234 prime the infinity jewels and black lanterns or whatever have time traveled or shifted dimensions and restarted the universe and made 4 supermen from the dead one I think???

Does this nullify the UN legislation they signed after all those kids died in an exploding playground???

What are you arguing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
How can Metal Gear be dumb WHEN COMICS ARE ALSO DUMB???????

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Metal Gear isn't dumb, it's good. Better than comics, even

No, sorry.

Junkfist posted:

I was arguing that comics are dumber and make less sense than Kojima games.

What sky high standards to hold Kojima too.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Junkfist posted:

Uh ok what standards should we be holding Mr. Kojima to? David Cage games and Telltale's Minecraft Story Mode?

How about actual quality movies since he spends so much time trying to imitate them? Seems more relevant than comics.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Junkfist posted:

They're not. He makes goofy videogames. What quality movie is he imitating with intricate cardboard box combos or when Johnny Sasaki makes a wet poopy?

All I ever said was Jack and Rich get irritated at MGS storylines for not making sense and being all over the place while being fans of comic book storylines for reasons I don't understand. What do people read comic books for anyway? The gameplay?

Dude, come on. If you know anything about Kojima you'll know he absolutely loves movies and has been very open about that. The MGS series have made that influence obvious from the very beginning, MGS1 was probably the most 'cinematic' game ever released at the time and the main character was basically stolen, name and everything, from a John Carpenter movie. Since then his proclivity for trying to make a movie while making a game got worse and worse until we eventually got MGS4 and its hours of cutscenes.

Anyway, if you mention anything about comic books to Rich he will always talk about that spiderman story where Spidey makes a deal with the devil to get rid of his marriage (?!, I don't read comics) and that after that he realized that Comics are really stupid. I'm not quite seeing the hypocrisy.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Junkfist posted:

Yes, my Dude, he likes movies and references them a lot in his goofy videogames about nanomachine AIs and the secret mech battles between clone children of the Cold War and their self-hypnotized henchmen.

He'll even have extended goofy codec conversations about the Godzilla movies!

But he has fun silly gameplay in his games, unlike Quantic Dream and Telltale, and his obtuse confusing storyline doesn't manage to be inconsequential gibberish like comic books.

Which makes the point: if you think comics are stupid, what are you reading them for??? The gameplay of turning the page and seeing the colors?

He also has hours and hours of cutscenes that probably ate into resources that could have been dedicated to improving or in the most recent game's case actually finishing the drat thing but weren't(ironically leaving tons of cut-scenes on the cutting room floor). Instead we got poorly edited, over explained and tonally disastrous schlock to watch instead of play.

Anyway, I just don't see what relevance that has to comics or RLM since Rich (their goto comic nerd) seems to now think comics are trash and Mike and Jay don't care. Jack is Jack.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 2, 2016

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Good news, Warwick Davis is going to be in episode 8!! http://comicbook.com/2016/10/04/warwick-davis-will-appear-in-star-wars-episode-viii/

but whyyyyy

edit lol

unforgettable roles to be sure

Its kind of cute how everyone hates ewoks but Warwick Davies has become an indispensable part of the Star Wars family regardless.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I think I read somewhere that Hollywood is trying to prep Videogame movies as the next big thing if it becomes clear that Comic movies are starting to die down. If that takes off you'll know for sure Movies are dead.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Crisis on infinite Plinketts.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

achillesforever6 posted:

Which is funny when they criticize the Marvel movies for playing it safe because what they do makes money.

Lol, are you serious.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

temple posted:

The RLM Rogue One review was the guys playing armchair director with no self-awareness. Star Wars media is breaking out its previous conventions, particularly with Rogue One. RLM's suggestions sound like turning Rogue One into FA or ANH. It is strange seeing the guys do this because their prequel reviews differentiated themselves from other reviews and particularly nerdy ones because they tried to engage with the material presented. They evaluated the art as it was and only used the originals when they were directly comparable with the newer films. Fan service criticism can be used against any media with multiple installments. They did not communicate what made the fan service or references unemployable for them. Having concepts shared between films establishes consistency but in RLM's mind, it is pandering. RLM seems to be more interested in explaining what film producers were thinking, which they are just guessing, and discussing everything except the film they saw. This review is probably the weirdest one I've seen by them.

Did you not pick up on the part of the review where they hemmed and hawwed on whether Star Wars could even really work outside those conventions? That's why they brought up the Marvel movies, although there's a lot of variety in setting and character they have a fairly consistent tone which is pretty important to establish in a big franchise like Star Wars, that's what they were getting at with the part where you say they were turning it into another FA or ANH. Rogue one ends up with a strangely drab tone that, for my money, is pretty silly in lasers/space wizards land and doesn't really feel terribly convincing considering what 'know' the Star Wars universe is about. Which then feeds into the Fanservice stuff since it was pretty excessive. I don't know what they need to explain further there since its not just making connections for consistency, its going above and beyond and doing jarring and questionable things like CGI Peter Cushing+Carrie Fisher or Darth Vader's somewhat gratutious role when all these elements could have been excised relatively easily and probably would have allowed the film and characters to breath more and make their own identity without having to so explicitly lean on what's been long-established. However all these things also get people to go 'Darth Vader's in the movie? And Grand Moff Tarkin?! Wow, I wonder how they pulled that off! Better go see...'.

It also creates a conflict within the film where its trying to be a bit more serious and gritty, but it just can't help but bring in crowning elements from the movies that were a lot more light and campy and parading them around.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 20, 2016

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

temple posted:

What's wrong with having a different tone? Why is that the important thing to a series now?

I address this a bit in my edit, but personally, I'm just not really sure that Star Wars can really do the kind of gritty tone Rogue One was going for. The universe, at least the movies Disney is willing to recognize, is just a bit too fun, even when they're blowing up planets.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 20, 2016

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Someone spoiled that series in a cspam thread I read and the summary made my eyes roll so hard that I saw my brain

priznat posted:

gently caress that stupid show and everyone associated with it.

Details pls.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

temple posted:

The hallways fights on the death star is plot armor with banter. Nothing matters either but it is presented in a tense fashion. They storm troopers miss so much that its a cultural meme. That doesn't make it bad. Likewise, two hardened fighters not talking doesn't ruin the RO scene either. They are different. Which, Mike has a thing about movies needing to be like other movies to be good. It is a blind spot in his criticism that comes up often. Its hard for him to allow movies to be different and good, he has certain favorites that he believes are "right" and films don't use the previously established conventions, Mike writes them off as "wrong". He is often correct in pointing out effective storytelling but blind to innovation.

Hahaha, lol.

Rogue 1 is not innovative, and honestly RLM has a point, its getting a free ride from a lot of people based on the star wars name alone.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

oohhboy posted:

Many Bothans died to bring us this information. This is not the movie you are looking for. You fell into the same trap wanting a different film instead of grading the film as is.

Weeeeaaakkkk.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

oohhboy posted:

Massive problem with your statement, they gave TFA a free ride for no more reason than it was Star Wars yet didn't acknowledge that R1 had to have Star Wars things in it because it was a film based on Star Wars.

RLM hosed up.

Appeals to hypocrisy are always weak and shows unwillingness to engage with the arguments presented. Besides, I'll go easy on RLM wrt TFA since their review went up seemingly ten minutes after they actually saw the movie and 90% of the actual gushing came from Mike specifically. Jay and especially Rich were much more tempered. Since then they've been more critical of the movie.

The idea that RLM are giving R1 poo poo for simply having star wars things in it is stupid, the "AT-ST!" thing was obviously part of an extended joke describing all the recognizable tropes they saw. More egregious for me was Vader, Tarkin and Leia. That stuff really did feel like super expensive fanfilm stuff. Vader and Leia could have, and probably should, have been cut from the film entirely and Vader felt like he was going through the expected motions (out of armor peek, battering around underlings, force choking dudes, killing 20 rebels without breaking a sweat) rather than really doing anything important. I accept that Tarkin should have been in the film to some degree but I think what ended up happening was that the filmmakers lost the run of themselves with regards to what the technology could do for the character and beefed up his scenes to the detriment of director Krennic, who's meant to be the main threat but gets undermined by both Vader and Tarkin to the point that he feels like a bit of a nobody.

Its a fun enough movie but I don't think I'll remember it very well this time next year.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I hope the next year is them just making videos making GBS threads on R1 and youtube reviewers until the next star wars movie comes out and they do the same thing to that.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Trunko posted:

Can someone please explain to me how making fun of the way the Chinese language sounds is racist?

Making fun of how foreign people talk is often kind of racist actually.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

priznat posted:

What are some other good youtube folks for quality movie reviews or deep dives on technical or story detail that folks here like? I really like Every Frame a Painting but other than that I haven't found much.

I used to watch Mr Sunday Movies but it is too nerd culture for me (plus the lootcrate stuff). The RLM video that satirized the "59 things in the rogue one trailer that YOU missed" type of video seemed to be targeting that one directly.

Cinefix is actually really good, although at first glance it looks like another Watchmojo/buzzfeedesque '10 best buttcracks in the Terminator Franchise!' crap that actually seems to be a front to just get people to watch their in depth videos on advanced visual storytelling techniques. They also don't just restrict themselves to blockbusters, or genre movies or movies from the last three decades which is something I really like.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Stabbatical posted:

Which videos are the good ones and which are the clickbait? I can't tell by looking at the titles & thumbnails.

That's the thing though, the clickbait video titles are usually actually good videos.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Stabbatical posted:

Fair enough, but could you point me to one? I'd like to get a feel for it but don't want to get tricked into watching actual clickbait.

I thought this was good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFTFFA0LtE

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I really didn't like Reloaded, I think I dislike it more than Revolutions, for several reasons.

First, to everybody saying it had tons of good action, said action had next to no stakes and tension. I'll make an exception for the Highway sequence but whenever Neo was doing anything there wasn't the slightest sense of danger or purpose, he just punches a bunch of idiots and never has a problem. The worst part was the 100 Smith fight, he literally ends that fight by thinking 'this is dumb' and just loving flying off, with all the Smiths given each confused looks and leaving. Watching an invincible god fight a bunch of videogame NPCs quickly gets old. Contrast with the first Matrix, I though that movie did a good job at making the Agents really threatening first by killing off all of the supporting cast and kicking the poo poo out of Morpheus and taking him to their skyscraper fortress. Trinity does shoot one in the head but only after he clowns Neo and is about to finish him. When Neo takes on Smith he only barely manages to make it out and even then only because Smith has to be way too fancy in his way of killing him. The final scene where he realizes the full extent of his power is great catharsis for seeing him finally really defeat a nearly unstoppable enemy, its just good storytelling.

The action also went on way too long and felt very padded, the Highway sequence is great, for the first ten minutes, and then it reminds me of the endless lightsaber battles of the prequels. Some of the action scenes felt pointless, particularly the one where Neo was fighting the Chinese guy who's like 'Actually I was just testing you!'. The entire plot felt very second act and had no good payoff or interesting build up, and the whole movie seemed to get way too caught up in its own hype and spent most of its non-fighting time slumming around in freshman year philosophy pretending it meant something.

Ugh, just hate it.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Squashing Machine posted:

As a movie whose central theme is modes of masculinity and the nature of male pecking orders, I find it very problematic that Glengarry didn't throw a bone to the eternally pleased with nothing crowd in the form of two strong, independent female characters who could have a 2-minute conversation about real estate and then vanish from the film forever

I literally never seen anybody complain about that aspect of Glengarry Glen Ross since everybody seems to understand the context and themes that results in the movie being male orientated so good job owning those people who don't exist I guess.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I don't think that the visual and thematic stuff that make GitS memorable or intriguing will translate into a Hollywood blockbuster well at all.

Does anyone remember the horribly thought out Charlize Theron movie Aeon Flux? It will be exactly like that.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 16, 2017

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Is it sort of fair to make that same comparison with Alan Moore's Watchmen? In the mid-80s or so, the deconstruction of flawed heroes, all of them having big hang-ups, how the heroes are really bad guys, twist endings, etc. was unique, but as time rolled on and everyone started incorporating themes like that into their comics and even in non-comics media. I'm sure people looking at Watchmen today for the first time see everything from the extremely comic book-styled layout to some of the plot developments as a "so what's so great about this?" because it's all been done several times by several forms of media, or done better.

Even with all that acclaim Watchmen gets for some of its direction and being a forerunner, didn't Marvel already do something a bit similar to some of that with Hank Pym in the 70s as a character who started out as as a hero and was gradually showing signs of instability and (self)destructive and abusive behavior?

Actually, there is sort of one thing about Watchmen that in recent years I've found extremely fascinating that perhaps doesn't get mentioned enough: The social attitude in Watchmen from most people that heroes are the real villains. In the story, that's a theme. The public considers masked vigilantes and superheroes to be terrors and menaces probably worse than the criminals they've fought. In the real world, today, that has been such a growing narrative in media and pop culture commentary and deconstruction of just about every superhero film, too. All superheroes are actually evil, racist, fascists, useless, etc. Sometimes the films even bring this up, sometimes they don't.

I don't think so. To be honest I remember when I tried getting into comics a few years back and I made the error of starting with Watchmen. It was only downward from there, in terms of the quality of writing, pacing, tone, world building, character development and closure Watchmen is so far beyond most other comics its embarrassing. Its not just about it being 'dark' or 'gritty' or whatever, the comic still does things that would be almost unheard of in most of today's comics. Rorschach and Nite owl are good examples, Nite Owl is a paunchy middle aged nerdlinger with erectile dysfunction, he's hopelessly uncool in a way that they'd never let a character like Batman be. Likewise Rorschach is imo really well written when you look beyond the 'You're trapped in here with me!' stuff everybody remembers with him. Really that's just kind of a veneer, he a developmentally stunted nutcase conspiracist who spends most of his time terrorising harmless old men and missing important clues, I still love that reveal when his mask gets pulled off and you see he's actually that gawky ginger who stomps up and down New York with the end is nigh placard. Again, that kind of deflating of the heroic mystique is still so strange to see, can you imagine them doing something similar to the Punisher or anyone?

The use of panel layout and odd ways of worldbuilding still set it apart. Adverts, magazine articles, excerpts from (awfully well written) fictional autobiography. It just comes together to be so much more grounded than other comics. If you asked me I'd say the Dark Knight Returns is more a case of new people reading it and wondering what the big deal is, that really laid down the groundwork for the dark and gritty stuff for years to come while not really being able to stand on its own outside of the context of its time.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Dmitri-9 posted:

Power Rangers is another one where the director has one small film under their belt before they are given a huge franchise to gently caress up. The only group of people more retarded than modern film directors are entertainment executives.

I think its because its assumed that they've shown the bare minimum amount of movie making know how to just tell the drat actors when to pick their noses while the labyrinthine studio apparatus creates the stuff like super saturated visual effects and interchangeable scripts perfectly targeted to reach the maximum possible audience that the director has no involvement in. Then, since they've had no experience working on a project of this scale, its assumed the director will be quickly taken aback by the display of money and complexity taking place before them and immediately cow to any studio suggestions put forward to make sure that they can secure that McDonald's happy meal deal, or clearly crowbarred in elements to create more potential for toys, or clunky setups for the next 14 movies in the franchise, or one incredibly awkward scene that will play well in China.

Obviously this sometimes doesn't work at all and everything goes off the rails, as Josh Trank will tell you.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Parasol Prophet posted:

Based on early reviews/articles, apparently the entirety of her queerness is this:

She's looking upset about something, and one of the guys says "Boyfriend problems?"
"No."
"...Girlfriend problems?"
And I think she rolls her eyes or something, but doesn't deny it.

There you have it, folks, 100% non-heterosexual, the filmmakers will now present their backs to be patted for this milestone in LGBTQ representation

Apparently enough to get R rated in Russia?!

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Man I always agree with Rich on these sorts of things. Demolition man is so close to being the perfect satirical action romp with a unique twist but it misses the mark and becomes more and more safe and generic as it goes on.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

parallelodad posted:

Did you just conflate David Spade and James Spader

Call a Spade a Spader.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
People nerding out over trailers like this is always stupid because you know a week after the film actually comes out everybody will be like 'Yeah it was fine :geno:'

Next week the new Star wars trailer will come out it will be exactly the same.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

oohhboy posted:

The commentary gets worse further in. Maybe they got drunk or it's deliberate but they get really obtuse. They really, really want that heist movie but being that knowledgeable about Star Wars you would think they would put two and two together to realise they will get that movie later at an undetermined date.

They bitch on about the team having no plan before wishing for Oceans Eleven for the nth time. Yeah no poo poo because they didn't know anything about the place and they didn't have time. They show you the team looking up the local directory, the commandos were plan 2/2.

The tension from the final battle doesn't come from a timer. The tension comes from the ebb and flow of the battle. Who is winning is constantly changing hands. The Death Troopers arrive for example is another reversal like the AT-AT and their subsequent destruction.

Had they not shown the Death Troopers disembarking you wouldn't know where they came from. Krennic did send them off but the movie always makes sure you know where things are moving.

They miss the reasons why the camera followed some of the action at such and such of an angle. They provided the motion to move into the next scene or frame so you know where and when something is happening.

It is something TFA is missing especially during the final battle as space and time goes out the window. TFA uses a timer but when that passes nothing happens. The same set of scenes in ANH has them show you the firing sequence from earlier just seconds after zero. If you use a timer, you have to show the countdown. Then you have people teleporting about the place leaving you asking where the gently caress everyone is and how did they get there.

Leia was being a badass by lying right into Vadar's face and had nothing to lose.

The character arcs were weak, but come the gently caress on.

It was a good start but they devolve and start missing the forest for the trees. It got to the point I wrote off their obtuseness as factitious.

Ok.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Groovelord Neato posted:

china is ruining goddamn movies. i think terminator genesys almost broke even thanks to that godforsaken hellscape.

To remind everybody, Hollywood makes much less per ticket sale in China than America or Europe, so a film that flops stateside would have to absolutely and totally tear things up in the box office in China to overcome poor domestic figures and be deemed a success. The only film that might have done that was that lousy Warcraft movie.

In Hollywood's weird world GiTS making 164 million dollars on 110 million dollar budget is a painful flop and I guarantee that will kill the Franchise right there, apparently its under-performing what they predicted in China anyway. To put things in perspective Fury Road and Star Trek Into Darkness both earned more than double their 150+ million doller budgets and were considered disappointments by their studios.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Just remember there's a baby Han Solo movie coming out soon.

ID42 is going to look like The Godfather next to that piece of poo poo.

Question for everyone in the thread, how will the following elements be inevitably worked into the movie:

1. Han shot first.

2. Kessel Run, less than 12 parsecs.

3. loving Jedi and force bullshit even though its completely unnecessary but this is Star Wars.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Captain Lavender posted:

Man, am I going to have to trade the enjoyment of righteously making GBS threads on the DCCU for the decidedly lesser enjoyment of experiencing a good movie?

If Wonder Woman ends up being the one and only quality thing that comes out of the DCCU its the best of both worlds since you get a good movie, dumb execs won't have an excuse to go 'Guess action movies with women in the lead role just don't work!' again and Justice League will be out soon enough and that will return course back to comical train wrecks we can mock while the entire DC universe melts before our eyes.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I remember the halcyon days before the juicy shaq meat BOTW when nobody had any opinions at all on Josh.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
The Matrix remains better than most current action movies because it's structurally rock solid even if you don't care about the visuals, themes and black leather. The main character, even though people often complain about him, is a very effective vector for the audience to experience the bizarre twists of the world, the first 45 minutes until the big reveal is a fantastic surrealist mystery plot that lays out all of the important details of the universe and fleshes out the main characters. After that it transitions smoothly into the action territory we all know and love as the movie changes gears, establishing some of the most powerful, effective antagonist forces of modern cinema and putting the main characters in convincing and hopeless seeming danger that makes the payoff of the final act feel really, really well earned. By the end you have a very dramatic arc pulled off for the protagonist with seemingly wide ranging ramifications on the world the movie established that emphasizes just how much of a journey the audience and characters have experienced since the start of the movie.

I don't care if I sound fruity, just watch it.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 26, 2017

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I had a quick skim over some CineD threads on a couple of movies I was thinking of seeing.

God lord, those guys were way dumber than I thought possible.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Clawtopsy posted:

i don't think it's unfair to assume this movie will be a bad mess based on snyder's run on DC stuff, and godot's wooden performance in bvs

merch-paid reviews would be completely unsurprising, but its not like theres been the storm of incredibly loving dumb PR around this like there was ghostbusters 2016, so i think assuming some vast feminist sensitive joss whedon conspiracy to give it an easy curve is a bit paranoid.

I think people would do well to actually go read some the 2016 Ghostbusters reviews, they mostly were kind of lukewarm rather than gushing which a lot of people act like they were. I mean, its 73% on RT, which is in the same bracket as a low end Marvel movie like Iron Man 2.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Yug posted:

Yup. It's always the woke ultra leftists who are the creeps and weirdos. You can look at the history of this very forum for evidence

Lol, you're one to talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Is that Josh Sawyer?

• Locked thread