Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

What's the opinion most likely to earn you a big red text in CineD?

Spielberg is good, Transformers is bad, or there exists in this world films that are better than Batman v Superman?
Marvel Movie are good and not these neoliberal pro-drone warfare propaganda films.

Also what is CD's beef with Spielberg? Something dumb like he killed the New Hollywood movement? Or basicallly this Ted Rall strip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

If you think Spielberg only makes schmaltzy​ movies you definitely need to rewatch Private Ryan and Schindler, and I'll bet $50 you haven't seen Munich.
Hell I think Jurassic Park has a lot good commentary on corporatism with how all the problems with the park are from budget corner cuts and loving over employees pay.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Also didn't he do AI?
He was just fulfilling his friend's dream on that one

I'll maintain that The Lost World was an okay movie wait why do I have the feeling of deja vu?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

You know I'm trying to think of movies that have made me angry watching them and it doesn't happen often since I don't put myself in situations where I watch lovely movies, but I don't think I've ever been more made at a movie than in Troy where they dealt with the death of Patroclus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cz7u8RPYKo
As soon as they find out it isn't Achilles they just decide to quit the battle despite the fact that the Trojans have the Greeks right where they want them. They all just loving stop fighting in a battle of thousands somehow too.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Mike I thought was really stretching for something when he said that college students would be protesting The Mummy if they did it like the 30s movie. I mean did anyone protest when those Scott Summers mummy movies came out? No because they were fun action adventure romps with likable casts, good set design, great FX (I'm talking about the 1st movie mostly on this front), and a easy to follow story.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/JayBauman1/status/877327842215952385

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

I've wondered this, and RLM asked this too, but why do studios interfere?

They hire directors known for a certain style and type of product (Snyder, Ayer, Gunn, etc) and then gently caress with that they're trying to do. Why hire them in the first place. Just get someone like Brett Ratner who will make exactly what you tell him to do.
Eh Feige has been pretty fair to the directors for Marvel movies sans Wright and the GOT person who did Thor 2.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

oohhboy posted:

I hate SMG with the fury of an orb touched by Trump.

But seriously the guy is a bull poo poo machine made sentient. I don't know where he finds the time. He is one of the reasons I don't go in to CD, everybody laps his poo poo up.
The only time I've ever agreed with him is his analysis of Jurassic Park because it was actually pretty straightforward and made sense about the themes of corporatism being bad and deadly.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

vermin posted:

Miller and Lord get to join Bryan Fuller and Zach Snyder for directors no longer involved with their projects recently
Wait poo poo Starz axed Fuller from American Gods?

Phlairdon posted:

Going back a bit, but if so, could Marvel get way with adding the Roman pantheon to their universe?
Nah they should still do Greek Pantheon since Hercules is one of the best Marvel characters

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Everyone should watch American Gods btw, it just ended its first season and its only 8 episodes.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Clawtopsy posted:

you could pretty much cut all the side-story stuff from american gods and lose nothing, but if they already did the gay djinn seems theyre going all out
I mean that would taking a big chunk of what makes the book good, its a road trip story with a bunch of vignettes on how these old world gods came to America through immigrants.

I like the changes they made from the source material too in expanding characters and not having a bunch of one offs like the djjin and Bliquis.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

More came out on Lord and Miller getting canned from the Han Solo movie.

Apparently they spent a ton of time improving on set and Kathleen Kennedy saw the dailies and hired an acting coach for the lead mid-production because he sucked so much.

Y'all, the Han Solo movie is going to be a loving disaster.
Looks like Disney was in the right to kick them off at the last minute then

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Sorcerer has a ten minute long sequence of a truck driving very slowly over a bridge that's easily one of the greatest action scenes in movies
Man its amazing what director's were able to do back then; then Michael Cimino had to make Heaven's Gate and kill that dead.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Fartbox posted:

Blade runner is insanely overrated, by nerds only, because only nerds care about the movie or talk about it

It was also insanely beautiful and cool looking
The Vangelis soundtrack for that movie is also really good

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Randarkman posted:

I'd say alot of the details, especially as regards costumes, are really good. It gets a lot of the historical characters really wrong though. Especially Sibylla, and Reynaud de Châtillon and Guy de Lusignan being Templars is just weird (though atleast Reynaud is characterized pretty well).
I like how they didn't want to show that Reynaud had a fleet of Pirate ships that he planned to use to attack Mecca because it would be too unbelievable

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I'm glad I missed all the bad Spider-man movies when the last one I saw was Spider-man 2. I'm probably going to watch this new one though since Sony finally wised up and joined with Disney, now all they have to do is sell the property back to Disney and everything will be alright. I wonder how much it would take for Disney to buy the FF rights from Fox?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Schweinhund posted:

He really should've died in the movie too but Spielberg is a big softie.
Eh I think Hammond is a much better character in the movie than the book because in the book he's a caricature of every bad boss; in the movie he's basically a modern Andrew Carnegie (Scottish, obsessed with Dinosaurs, thinking providing entertainment/education to the working class would be better than just giving them higher wages). Jurassic Park kind of bums me out towards the end because really all this death and destruction was caused by a corporation not paying its employees fairly and the industrial espionage from competitors. I mean who wouldn't want a magic dinosaur zoo that isn't a aviary?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

RLM should do a Re:View of Conan the Barbarian. I watched it again recently and it's still a pretty fun movie with great music, and the amount of ripoffs it has rivals Mad Max. Hell, the Scorpion King franchise is pretty much Conan in ancient Egypt.
The first Scorpion King is pretty good as far as Conan the Barbarian ripoffs go, much like how the first two movies are decent Indy ripoffs

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Teikanmi posted:

When was the last time we saw Josh on RLM?

I think it was like 5 months ago
2 months ago when he and Jay did a Re:view of Fire Walk With Me

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Man why do people have to care so much about how many movies are being released by one studio? People treat it like the hype machine is unavoidable when its actually pretty easy to avoid hearing about new movies.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

WampaLord posted:

I don't mind that you have opinions in this thread, I'm trying to say that you have dumb opinions, like that if we weren't making lovely movies, somehow that money would be going directly to orphans in Africa. We've got like a million and a half problems to work on before we get there.
Like maybe not spending most of our budget on the military, mainly because giving them less money would probably make them more efficient and effective instead of giving them too much money to overthink things. Spend it on stuff like healthcare, education, and infrastructure instead.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

For non Zombie movies: Creepshow, Martin, Nightriders, and Tales from the Darkside were also good to great Romero movies/shows.

I will always like that Romero's first gig was working on Mr. Roger's Neighborhood and getting inspired to do Night of the Living Dead after working on a episode where Mr. Roger's got throat surgery. Mr. Rogers actually supported Romero and after the first screening said to him that it was a great movie.

Maybe my town/mall will finally get a statue of him made since Dawn of the Dead is one of the big reasons why people still go to that mall, especially around comic convention/Halloween season

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

WampaLord posted:

New video you FUCKS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C47zRs6SPZM

Content Warning: Josh
I kind of had a feeling they were going to do Martin or Creepshow after Romero passed

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

I wish RLM would review some animated stuff rather than constant bad superhero movies. I don't think they have ever done a Pixar film. True, Pixar has gone off the rails but whatever. They could have done Kubo. That was great.
Eh I think that's because non of them watch animated movies other than probably Jack

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Pixar have gone to poo poo and it's tragic.

Toy Story 4?!!! gently caress off
At least Incredibles 2 is finally happening

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Entropic posted:

I'm mystified by the people who say Winter Soldier is the best Captain America movie and even more mystified by the people who say Civil War was. I forgot Civil War was even supposed to be a Captain America movie half-way through watching it, I think I just defaulted to thinking it was an Avengers movie.
I do love how it pisses off CD goons when people say it had influences of 70 political thrillers

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

Watching Mikey's reviews. He's got really low standards but he's insightful even when I don't agree with his review overall.
I enjoyed his Zodiac review since that movie is really underappreciated and probably Fincher's best movie.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I like Josh's Pale Man Mitch McConnell shirt

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Paladinus posted:

Yeah, I'd watch that.

Everyone should see Bronson once in their lives, mainly because it has Tom Hardy's greatest role
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7llOzq_tfSw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NnDwcCIsoo

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Does the 90s Mummy count as a remake or is that more of a reimaging either way its a good movie that is probably up there with Jurassic Park in knowing how to balance CGI and practical effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

Is CD like, allergic to dramas and stuff, why doesn't smg ever talk about the new iñarrito or something
They only use Inaarito to talk about how RDJ is a racist

• Locked thread