Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I asked her what she thought of the Muslim ban, and she said she didn't necessarily agree with it, but did support banning citizens from risky countries like Iraq and Syria. I told her I thought this was very wrong of him to say, and this will only increase vitriol against Muslims in this country and is completely counter-productive. She said she doesn't believe what he was saying was anti-Muslim, and he's just trying to keep this country safe.

This is some fuckin impressive mental gymnastics going on on her part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I think we can all agree it'll wind up as a healthy, long lasting marriage that I'm sure will raise many happy children.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Pick posted:

Some guys are just a little rough around the edges (like they had a crappy dad or didn't get out much or whatever) and some love and care will make a world of difference. Because men are socialized not to be open about their feelings, it can take a really long time to tell the difference between "just needs a genuine chance" and something more fixed. I think even some guys diagnosed with Aspergers don't really have it (but think they do), and some guys don't have the diagnosis who would benefit from knowing it. You only learn about people from experience. Life is complicated and everyone's a little crazy :shrug:.

On the other hand, way too many people are in lovely relationships because they think they will be ~the one~ who can get that abusive emotionless rear end in a top hat to soften and finally open up.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Something seems slightly off about that email. Like humble brag about being smart mixed with fishing for compliments almost.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I (33m) overheard my girlfriend (28f) making fun of me pretty brutally to her best friend (27m). When I say brutally... I mean brutally.

quote:

My girlfriend, "Jenna", and I have been together for 2 years, a little over.

I'm a veterinarian and we met at my office. She had just moved to the city and brought her dog in for an ear infection. We started talking and what should have been a 15 minute appointment turned into an hour long talking session.

I've never been so smitten with a woman before. Before Jenna, I lived the bachelor lifestyle. I was beginning to think I'd just stay single forever, even though that lifestyle of nothing but casual flings was growing really old and empty.

Jenna is a charismatic woman with a lot of friends. Her best friend is a guy, "Dylan", she knew in her old town. I trust Jenna but I'd be boldfaced lying if I said that her relationship with him doesn't bother me at all. I don't get angry with her or fight about it, she's reassured me that they've been friends their whole lives and have never had any sexual relationship.

I'm secure and I'm not insane, so I accept that they are friends and have tried to buddy up with him as well. He has visited the city 3 times. He's a cool guy, however, he does not seem to like me much. Jenna says he's just protective. It comes off a whole lot more like jealousy than protectiveness, in my opinion.

Jenna just finished up grad school this spring but she's had a really tough time finding a job. We have lived together for a year and I've been understanding that she can't help pay rent, etc. right now. I'm very financially secure so it isn't an issue, however, I am careful to not become a reason for her to not get a job and have her own financial independence. I just think it's important for everyone to have this sort of independence. So, without being pushy, I've let her know that she does need to start paying half of the expenses once she secures a job.

Anyway, she texted me at work on Monday to tell me she got a job. It's a job she really, really wanted and had to go through some pretty grueling interviews to get. I was so happy and proud of her that I decided to leave the rest of the day at the office up to my staff and took off early without telling Jenna.

I bought her favorite booze, grabbed a bunch of Chinese take out (her favorite), and bought her flowers.

I had bought her a nice necklace that she'd seen at a store a couple of weeks ago. Nothing super extravagant, but it has a shark on it and that woman is just obsessed with anything to do with sharks. I'd hidden it in the basement and figured I'd give it to her soon, totally surprise her with t once she'd forgotten about even seeing it in the store. I got home and came in the side entrance to the basement so I could grab the necklace and then surprise her.

When I came up the basement steps and opened the door, I could hear her talking on the phone. Normally I wouldn't stop and listen but I heard her laughing uncontrollably, like belly-laughing. It was pretty cute so I figured I'd wait for her to get off the phone before I surprised her.

She was talking to Dylan. Nothing new there, they talk at least once a week.

Then I heard what they were laughing about.

It took me a few dull minutes to realize that she was laughing about our sex life. She said something about how "No, he can't even compare to (ex bf). Ex bf had at least 3 inches on him." "I feel bad every time I eat a baby carrot around him because it must be traumatic to see me chomping down on something the same size as him." "It would almost be cute if it didn't suck so much. His body is amazing as long as he keeps his boxers on." Lots of laughter.

So look, I don't really give a crap what people on Reddit think about the, erm... size of my member... but, I do think it's important to say that what she was making fun of wasn't even true. Which in my opinion, makes it even more hurtful. I mean, I don't know about the ex bf, maybe he was a horse, but I'm very.... average. Just good old fashioned average. Not going to upsell myself here. It's nothing to write home about. But it's also not laughable. I've never felt self conscious, it is what it is.

To hear her ripping me apart to this guy that she knows I have some concern about was just beyond hurtful. Hurtful doesn't cover it.

She also made fun of me for being "gorgeous but not super smart".

Um... I'm actually highly educated. This isn't even remotely a concern of mine, I know I'm smart. Gorgeous and super smart with an average sized penis, thanks very much.

I left after that. Did I throw the flowers out of my car window? Yes. Did I cry in a parking lot? Yes.

I think she may have heard the basement door close, maybe she even saw my car driving away, because she started texting me pretty quickly after I left. Asking when I was coming home.

That was Monday and I haven't brought it up. I don't know how. I think I'm still processing everything. It's horribly embarrassing and hurtful. But... drat I love this girl. Not saying I'm going to forgive her necessarily, I just want to stress how hard this whole thing is for me.

I know I need to bring it up to her. But how? Any suggestions on how to start this conversation with her? I'm extremely hurt and I don't know if I can forgive her for this

tl;dr: My girlfriend made fun of me with her male friend. About our sex life/my penis. Pretty hurtful stuff. I feel like a puppy that just got kicked in the face. Joking aside, I'm devastated. I was planning to propose in the next few months. Now I don't see how I can even forgive her and stay with her. Advice?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Moon Atari posted:

Some people's brains just stop functioning completely in any sort of emergency situation. I guess he went into flight mode while she stayed calm. Gender roles aside, if you've ever been in any sort of emergency situation where you are the calm one and everyone else is in a panic stupor it can be really annoying because you have to try to deal with the emergency and chill them out at the same time.

To be fair, I don't think she was super calm and calculating either. She straight-up says "I was in panic mode and told my child to hide instead of run out the nearby door." Seems a little unfair she admits to following instinct but won't accept that her husband did the same. I'll admit it does sound like she kept a bit more of a level head though.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Dial-a-Dog posted:

She didn't mention the thieves taking any money either. You've gotta figure once you've upgraded your breaking and entering to multiple counts of assault and kidnapping you'd at least go for the obvious extra of robbing the people present

Eh this bit kind of makes sense. If you're breaking and entering with firearms you don't wanna stick around too long. Grabbing a few obviously-pricey items like a laptop and a tv makes more sense than waiting around for a panicked woman to dumbly with her wallet or a safe combination or something.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
It's a shame there's no way to have unwanted children taken from one family and given to another. An adoption of the child, if you will.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Mirthless posted:

like i said, it'd be one thing if it happened years before - might even be a kinda hot thing to talk about down the road - but the week before? lol, seriously, she wouldn't be helping anybody by talking this one out except maybe absolving herself of guilt, and given that she wasn't in a relationship at the time she doesn't need to feel guilty, anyway. The only reason to really bring it up would be if you were expecting your fiance to meet one of the guys you were involved with in the gangbang and you didn't want him to find out from them.

Assuming this is legit and not just wankfiction (pffffthahahaha yeah right) then this girl probably has some issues and isn’t the best at making decisions. If getting gangbanged by two dudes you don’t know isn’t enough, she decided to let her friend know she had feelings for him (without knowing if he had feelings for her) not by confessing or inviting him on a date or whatever, but by spontaneously making out with him then loving him.

Maybe I’m a prude or something but that seems a bit of a rush into things. Also her wanting to bring up poly stuff, and we all know how well that turns out and how emotionally secure those relationships are.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The way it’s written, and also because “this guy didn’t confess that he liked me, so I just made out with him then we hosed!!” which sounds like lonely nerd fantasy. Her giving an “edit" though is a surprising amount of dedication since I’d expect the author to just forget it after posting, so who the gently caress knows.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

ArbitraryC posted:

It's just amazing, like the title sounds like a huge exaggeration, the post is super wordy, and it starts with her talking about recent weight loss + him suggesting they did a public class together. Occam's razor between her just being insecure and overly jealous vs her hubby just blatantly eye loving yoga girls for an entire hour seemed like an easy bet, then he just straights up admit that's exactly what he was doing. How do you get to be 30 years old and not understand that not only is staring like that is super inappropriate, but other people can see you doing it.

On the other hand, it's possible that he just admitted to peeking at her once or twice, and she took that as confirmation that he stared at the girl the whole time.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Doc Hawkins posted:

And I suppose the female form of "bull" is "cow"? :rolleye:

Certh ew pop?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Barudak posted:

Its extra weird because its really easy to equalize a game of magic, given the deck is all you play with. So he enjoys the game at its peak design level, he should learn to enjoy it when he can only use commons to beat her all rarities deck.

No don't you get it then he's not playing at peak efficiency and if he's not trying to win as efficiently as possible then the game isn't fun!!!!

Seriously though there’s just the type of person who can’t just play games casually. I don’t get it myself, but to them it’s just not possible to play a game and NOT try to win as hard as they can. Like doing that just isn’t fun for them. I dunno how to loving deal with these people, because I avoid playing any kind of game with them as much as possible.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

La Brea Carpet posted:

I (24M) think my girlfriend (23F) is a witch

I like this one because the obvious answer is the girl had a really dysfunctional family while growing up, and her lovely ex-bfs don't have new gfs because they're lovely people in a small town. BUT NOPE, GOTTA BE A WITCH.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I want to sleep with my girlfriends father.

Hmm yes this sounds like a natural and healthy relationship.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Esoteric Scientist posted:

My husband [39M] found out about me [33F] having sex with multiple random people. He's not even acting mad. He just wants to know what I want to do.

I've never before seen someone who wants a divorce this badly who doesn't just go and get one.

Also wow is she ever crazy. I feel so sorry for her kid(s). :smith:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
^^^ guess I was kind of right

Jim Barris posted:

How do these idiots just stumble right into a relationship with a woman who will take care of them financially AND do all the housework? Wait... maybe it's because they're incompetent that they find these girls? Maybe she sought out a gormless idiot she'd have to take care of, for reasons incomprehensible to me?

Armchair psychology warning: they have emotional issues as well, likely in the form of extraordinarily lovely self esteem / confidence, which is why they don’t just dump their horrible partner and get someone better. Probably due to some amount of abuse during childhood. Maybe one of their parents was abusive or emotionally distant, so they subconsciously want to help fix that relationship by seeking out a partner that’s similar in an attempt to fix him/her.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
/r/relationships: People on the internet are broken af.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

MarcusSA posted:

Oh drat that sounds awesome I bet it can stream 4K HDR movies like a boss.

That doesn’t make any sense

As far as I can tell, it's just people putting way way way too much focus on the INFP label and freaking out when they do something that doesn't fit within that label.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Papa Emeritus III posted:

Boyfriend is acting dumb and defensive over nothing. How dare she practice safe sex! And within arms reach(under the pile of everything else..)! Would he rather she just bareback her exes before him? Pick your battles, man. :psyduck:

Nah he's just a dumb defensive idiot and thinks she's cheating on him.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

He drew a picture of her and then gave her one of him, so he probably just thought it was a funny thing they could do together. I guess if they weren't currently have marriage issues it probably would've been funnier.

Yeah it sounds to me like something that’d be fine in a good relationship, but horrible in a bad / mediocre one. Like, I could see a couple doing something like that and laughing about it. Something like “oh man, you got me right in the fuckin eye!” or something. But it’s definitely the kinda thing where you need to know your significant other and know what will/won’t upset them, etc.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Devil’s advocate for vacation girl, but I can understand wanting to take a short vacation after the stress of college before diving into the stress of your first real job. There may also be some unreliable narrator stuff going on, the “When do i get to recharge?” bit sounds real petty and bitter. Also, it doesn’t seem unreasonable that even the most hard-assed boss would be able to let someone take a single day off work for a long weekend or something with a few months heads-up - she did ask him to TRY, and it didn’t seem like he did. That being said, she probably should just accept that it ain’t happening and they could both start working towards saving up for a nice vacation in a year or something instead, but that'd require some kind of communication and compromise on both parts.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

charity rereg posted:

It's loving wild how people just come in here and write fanfiction about how it must be the man's fault. every time. every loving time.

This isn't devil's advocate, this is writing an entirely different post about an entirely different situation. they aren't married. it's all money he earned, she earned none of it. even then he put it aside as shared money for their shared goal as a couple, which she now wants to use for her and her sister. he makes it clear that he isn't some big breadwinner, and he hasn't done anything fun in a long time either. he's been scrimping by to support her educational goals.

So uh, yeah, I think "When do I get to recharge?" is a fair loving question. It's also fair to be bitter that she sees the money he's been saving as available to be spent. Don't you think he would have maybe taken a vacation himself, or bought himself something nice over the past 4 years if he know the money was for "fun" and not "Our Wedding"?

Of course she and everyone else would love to (and in a just world probably deserves to) take a vacation before starting work. Tough noogies. I worked when I was 14, I worked 2 jobs before starting college, I worked through college to put myself through it, and I was working F/T less than 21 days after graduating college a semester early. That's life, you knuckle up and grumble about not being independently wealthy and vote for Bernie like the rest of us born poor millennials.

It's great that you've decided that his boss will definitely give him the time off and that he's just lying because of Reasons. Commencement is in less than two months, you have no idea what sort of job he has or what his boss is like.

Uh, like a loving year? If she gets a job and they double their goddamn income there is no reason why they can't take a vacation together within a year.

I mean I wasn’t trying to say the dude is a jackass or anything, I think he’s been more than generous to pay for so much for her. But I literally did suggest they save up together for a year just like you’re suggesting lol. I will say it clearly here: her asking him to pay for her vacation when she hasn’t contributed anything is lovely, especially if she’s throwing a big fit about it. However I don’t think there’s really enough in that post to determine if she’s being a greedy leech who will never get a job and just suck up his money for years, like what’s posted at the top of this page.

Rubellavator posted:

He says he doesn't earn much so he might not even have a job where weekends are a thing.

That's fair and something I hadn't really considered to be honest, so good point there.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

charity rereg posted:

I think the argument she made that I quoted about "never knowing when she'll get this time to travel," is a good indicator that he isn't unreliable or at fault and she just Wants To Go On This Trip. I wasn't suggesting that you didn't see it as well, but that's such an obvious solution that it paints her in a really poor light.

Yeah that's a good point. If nothing else it certainly sounds like she doesn't really understand how gracious he's being here, or probably what the value of a dollar really is. Thinking about it, it kinda comes off like a kid going "what do you mean you can't afford to get me that new game console? You make like a billion dollars!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Bruceski posted:

I have known people who have wonderful poly relationships, but man when those things go bad they go REALLY bad.

It's kind of like high-school relationships. Lots of people know a couple who has made one work, and so they convince themselves "Hey, I can make it work too!" not realizing the failure rate is like 99%. So they see their relationship failing and are super in denial about it because "Becky had a relationship like ours and she's so happy!!!"