Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zahgaegun posted:

Try a trap bar/hex bar deads before giving up on deads entirely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzvsIU9FW60

Man hex bar is basically cheating, isn't it? Our gym just got one and I gave it a try - added 5kg and completed the set way easier then before. No need for straps either, as with the regular bar I was losing my grip way too early. I did feel like I was missing something, which I think had to do with the higher handles that reduce ROM, so I'll try to flip it over next time.

Speaking of deadlifts, you know these cute gifs of couples deadlifting each other? Well the liftee is our local celebrity here, 180kg supposedly:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
I think that depends on how you do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C878XeabMg&t=295s

Good Dog posted:

Could you not get your hands on the part of the bar that is on the same plane as the weights? Not using the top grip position that the girl in the thumbnail of that youtube vid is.
Not really, I think the upper handles would be pushing on my wrists during the lift. But as I mentioned, it should be possible to just rotate the bar 180 degrees so that the coplanar handle is unobstructed.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Hawkins posted:

If you aren't rich enough for crossfit and you don't have any friends who would want to help you stay accountable and be healthy and strong, then focus on fixing one or both of those.

But getting swole AF is how I was going to get those other two

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just ended up doing an unplanned extra set of calf raises because a chick in yoga pants jumped on the treadmill right in front of me. Now I probably won't be able to make it up the stairs at home, thanks!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Apprentice Dick posted:

There is a difference between 2 inches above the chest and 2 inches of barbell travel

Not always!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

nooneofconsequence posted:

pfft I don't even have to lift to pull off that look.

Wasnt there a study about steroids that confirmed that you get better results with just the pills than just working out?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Going to the office gym is pretty awkward as you're either rubbing dicks with colleagues or they assume you're a disgusting pig if you don't shower :(

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Guys, get a sous vide cooker immediately. It'll transform your chicken breasts from barely edible trash to delicious juicy meat you might actually want to eat. And it's still easier to cook than anything short of nuking it directly in the microwave and you can easily time it to be ready whenever you need it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Like $50-100 on the lower end. The immersion circulation types, which is most of them, can be used in any pot you have and I managed to cook like 6 breasts in a 5l Ikea pot. If you have the space (which I did not) and will be using it very often, a water bath might be better. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sous+vide There's a thread in GWS for this stuff if you want more information.

The cool thing though is that you can also use it for fancy dinners to impress your dates gymbros with perfectly cooked steaks or shrimp and so on.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Can't wait to look back fondly on when the swoleception thread discovered sous vide cooking.
Glad to be part of this historic moment :patriot:

Jove Tone posted:

In fact the food makes the plastic taste GOOD!
It's more of a symbiotic relationship really, both the food and plastic make each other taste better.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ElectricSheep posted:

post your weightlifting double entendres itt

Interesting that he jerked it on his back.

Seriously I don't think I've ever seen anyone do this before, doing it normally was probably too easy.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My face is starting to resemble a survivor's and I'll soon be able to cut the chicken breasts with my chin, but there's still fat around my waist and rear end what the hell where's my sixpack

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just lift in flat, hard soled shoes you fuckin spergs and don't leave a trail of sweaty footprints around the gym

Helios Grime posted:

That is some lovely rear end ROM, goddamn egolifters.
I dunno, seems like he takes "rear end to grass" pretty seriously at least.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So apparently I accidentally skipped a week of my Smolov Jr program, which would explain why it was going so loving hard today :doh:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MikeCrotch posted:

Lol why are you doing smolov

a mysterious cloak posted:

I lift because I hate my body, and I want to punish it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
First workout after a 3 week vacation and 1 week sickness. Fuuuuck this sucks so much.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

sassassin posted:

I liked board presses because my gym had a big block of wood near the benches and props are fun.

But eventually I learned the truth and stopped benching altogether.

How do you get them big tittays then?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/mgg2oMX.mp4

Well he certainly learned from the best!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

I was in the gym for 45 minutes tonight (light work because I'm on a slow cut and also...) these two dudes did absolutely nothing but curls and triceps pulldowns for the whole time I was there. I didn't utter a single word.
Do you skip your arm days??

I had my leg day on Wednesday and then played football (the non-brain damage one) the next day and now I can't walk. Still, this might be a pretty good way to get some cardio in your workout without torturing yourself on a treadmill.

There was also one guy at the gym who does the most half-assed reps of loving everything. Well more like quarter-assed because that's what his squats, lunges and presses look like. It's bizarre.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not too worried about asymmetries but just found the mixed grip to be extremely uncomfortable. Straps work but by far my favorite solution was to just use the trap bar instead which fixes the hand position and is just more comfortable in general.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

Excellent work! It’s all in your head.
My deadlifts are waaay heavier than squats and I think it's all in the head too, having the bar on the back instead of in the hands makes a huge difference and I get scared to crank it up.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Gaunab posted:

What exercises will make me a sexual tyrannosaurus?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My gym literally just has a bench, incline bench and a squat rack. And I guess a doohickey to row the bar, but that's pretty much it as far as lifting equipment. But it's free and in my office building so I can lift on company time so eh :shrug:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry but pretty much anything can please men sexually.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Is RP a diet you've absolutely got to pay $110 for, or are there ways to get the same with an Excel spreadsheet somewhere?

If that table above was the RP diet then it's the most "no poo poo" diet ever.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

sassassin posted:

If it helps 90% of the buff women you see pictured are about 5' tall irl so their arms aren't actually very big.

As long as they're big enough to squeeze my lizard.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of huge arms, there are more things they're useful for:

Obviously replace beer with protein shakes.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Or fight milk

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dum Cumpster posted:

What if I do nothing but work and care for my family? How do I make time for my selfish hobby?

Sleep faster. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rw5pmuSdbA

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Chief McHeath posted:

The only steroid I take is creatine.

:same: but doesn't seem to do poo poo unfortunately

Dum Cumpster posted:

Sorry I don't have ILLEGAL DRUGS to help me stay awake.
You don't need ILLEGAL DRUGS for that though? :confused:

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 23, 2019

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Our gym's music solution is an ipod of some sort hooked up to the PA system. One day it was on playing Paradise City when I came in, definitely way overplayed track but whatever, better than the usual stuff that gets played there. Since it was the day Keith Flint died, I queued up The Fat of the Land to play afterwards to pay respects. Not a minute later some wimp comes along and, unable to handle some G n' R, skips the track :getin:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder how much of that is due to the much better grip you can get on the bar without loving up your wrists

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is it just my gym or did everyone suddenly start spending 80% of the time stretching and rolling around in those weird cylinder things instead of actually working out?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Helios Grime posted:

in or on?
Cause blackrolls aren't really new.

Uh... on, they don't have hamster-wheel style thingies yet.

*sprints to the patent office*

And yeah I've seen people do it before of course, but this week and especially today was just everyone rolling around on the floor doing god knows what. Certainly not complaining of course, better that then occupying the squat rack.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fhqwhgads posted:

As of Monday this will be my strategy because the gym will be in the basement of my office. I actually can't wait to spend more time at work because of this.

My gym is in the top floor of our office building. I sit in the chair for four hours without moving and then go up and start squatting immediately.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry I only buy sweatpants like a real pro.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
All gatherings over 100 people got banned here. Thankfully you can't even fit that many people in my gym but it's gonna spread like crazy if someone brings it in

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Youtube now pushes some stupid "shorts" when not logged in.

Literally the opposite of what I need :argh:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/PNpqyRx.mp4