Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mordja posted:

"It was too big to be called a sword. Massive, thick, heavy, and far too rough. Indeed, it was a heap of raw iron."

That's not even close to big enough, relative to the Barbatos, to resemble the Dragonslayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The fact the two Turbines girls and Norba survived that kind of implied violence, with only minor injuries at that, undercuts it's power a lot, since anytime you do see such violence you're just left thinking "well they might have survived because popular". That Gaelio might have survived makes it even less powerful.

Oh, and when the show wants to be it is vicious, like Carta. Which doesn't help, since you know it's willing to emphasise death when it matters and is definite.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

I'd say the Dort arc ended on a bit of a bummer. Tekkadan got out alive, and Kudelia managed to get a message out, but Fumitan bought it, the revolution ended with the slaughter of the Dort union and no changes, and later we'd find out Biscuit's brother committed suicide.

There's a television broadcast a few episodes later that mentions that things were all worked out on Dort and that the unions got what they wanted in the end.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

GimmickMan posted:

I know people wish Shinn was the real protagonist and Kira hadn't come to ruin his party but let's not pretend GSD was ever good.

I dropped Destiny after about 18 episodes out of boredom, but while all those things about Destiny's first 11 episodes are true (and personally I'd say it good stretch lasts till 13, including Kira's re-emergence) Neo hadn't done much, even if his identity was pretty obvious, Cagalli's character was thought to be struggling as part of an arc rather than failing with no real end and the insert songs don't really count as a negative or a positive - they're just a thing that is. More importantly, I don't have to imagine people thought it was good, I can go back and read the Destiny thread from when it was airing, and people here generally liked those early episodes from what I recall after re-reading the thread's early pages a year or so ago. And while it did have all those things, it also had some good action and fights when the Minerva crew fight Phantom Pain around an asteroid for instance, a focus on Athrun, who many liked over Kira and thought might have something good come of said focus, the crew of the Minerva working together in fights even if Athrun and Shinn clashed at times and other things people generally favored.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

His reaction to Kudelia neutralizing the most powerful armed force in the solar system with a speech was to express frustration at his own powerlessness.

If you mean when she televised a speech with McMurdo's help in season one then I'm pretty sure his only reaction was admiration of what she could do so easily, not to bemoan what he couldn't do. I just went back and re-checked it and his sentiment was to express astonishment that something "they", not "him", but a collective "they", including the enemy, were fighting so much over could be stopped so easily by her words. There's no frustration there unless he expresses it later and I'm forgetting it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Belzac posted:

Well let's ask Tomino, the creator of Gundam how he feels about this conversation.

It's rather disingenuous to present that quote as a blanket statement from Tomino on character death, rather than his feelings about one character in particular. Especially when the character it's most likely referring to is part of the Gundam show that uses character death most heavily throughout the show to add tension, raise stakes, establish threat and/or rub in that war is kind of lovely.

Tomino's feelings re: character death have almost certainly changed since that time, but they didn't change till at least Turn-A as far as Gundam shows go, or maybe Brain Powered if you're sticking to his shows in general. Acting like that's his feelings on use of character death and it's importance or impact in general is being dishonest really.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 28, 2016

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
They did, but let's not pretend that he thought characters shouldn't die on both sides regularly during that show. I'm pretty sure he's even stated during interviews that any time he felt the show was lacking drama/stakes or that he felt it was getting boring he just killed some characters to add some excitement in. It's debatable whether it worked, but he wasn't adverse to using character death is the point.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gyra_Solune posted:

i knew immediately Mika was going to be the one to slay the dragon

Well he's the main character, and by far the best pilot on the protagonist's side so it's not exactly a difficult call to make.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

This isn't Loran in Turn A, a middling-to-decent pilot who wins because his MS is amazing

The Turn-A might have been amazing in theory, but in practice it wasn't actually that great a unit for most of the series. The Turn-A doesn't even have weapons for a good chunk of the show; the beam sabers only being found by Sochie in epiosde 9 while it doesn't get a gun of any kind until episode 22 (though it's found in 21, just not used since there's no real fight in that episode). The 5 episodes from episode 3 until episode 8, Loran basically hops around kicking, punching and throwing mobile suits because he lacks any weapons. It also gets it's head caved in from a simple punch by Harry's SUMO. It proves a lot hardier later in the show and can tank the Turn-X's Bloody Siege beam barrage, so it may just have "healed" over time thanks to the nanomachines or something, but either way, around episode 14 it takes damage from a very simple attack. Loran also doesn't use it's most distinctive ability, the Moonlight Butterfly until 44 or 45 episodes in. At one point when it needs to attack a Moonrace ship that's flying above him he just has to get Sochie in her Kapool to continuously launch him from the ocean's surface using jockey stirrup throws so he can slash at the ship's engines at the peak of each jump until they fail. And that's about 30+ episodes in, not the very start. It can't properly fly until near the end of the show when the Moonlight Butterfly is found. The actual thrusters he used to help extend his jumps weren't even something the unit could use until episode 12 (I think), because they were locked up in dirt until Loran needed to escape from falling in to lava and pushed the unit beyond it's previous limits (somewhat akin to Mika unlocking more of Barbatos' power I guess).

The Turn-A is essentially always just powerful enough to match the show's enemies. So at the beginning when there's hopes of peace talks and things are going relatively smoothly the unit has no weapons, but really only fights some WaDs and WaDoms. When Corin shows up and is more aggressive with his Eagail, the beam sabers come along. Just before things get more unstable, the Moonrace starts digging up new suits and the nuke goes off the beam rifle is found. It's only a couple of episodes from the end when the Turn-X fully shows up (as opposed to being just a head) that the Moonlight Butterfly comes in to play, the Turn-A getting faster and more tanky due to it (since it has a barrier driven by the pilot's willpower). And even then, it spends about 3 of those episodes in enemy hands.

Edit: Loran may also be one of the best shots in the entire franchise, since he not only shoots lasers out of the air several times during the show, he also shoots the cannon and leg off another unit using just two shots by putting a SUMO in an armlock, and forcing the SUMO to fire it's gun at the enemy unit since the Turn-A has no gun of it's own. That may not put him tip top aim wise, but it's certainly up there regardless.

Darth Walrus posted:

now Galan is dead, anyway - being able to do what he did in an obsolete training suit was just insane

The Geirail wasn't a training suit. It was obsolete, since it was a pre-Graze unit, but it wasn't a training unit. Even then, according to the HG manual it had been fixed up using parts of old prototypes and units that were to be scrapped due to overall damage so that it only looked like a Geirail externally.

tsob fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 18, 2017

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

The untranslated Japanese parts of the manual mention that the Geirail is only used these days by Gjallarhorn as a trainer, and Ebikawa tweeted that the mods on Galan's suit were just a few internal parts meant to disguise its signature, not performance-boosters. Given that Julietta mentions he trained her, I can't suspect that before he became Galan Mossa, he was an Arianrhod Fleet instructor who simply had the serial numbers filed off one of his training machines to make it a plausible mercenary suit.

I guess I'd tend to think of a training suit as something with no real weaponry and the engine and capabilities deliberately diminished to help ensure students can't hurt themselves or each rather than just a normal suit used for training purposes like that implies.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Not on screen. Logically he had to pilot it off screen though for Epyon to tell him his future.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kingtheninja posted:

Pretty sure it's been that way since the scene from the first series showed Bernie and Co (was he eating a hamburger?)

I think Bernie and Christine were both clapping to congratulate Al over a win. And if Al is there it kind of detracts a bit from the Valhalla aspect, since while he did presumably die eventually, it's not something we ever see. That was the case with a lot of the cameos, lots of dead folks, but grouped up with people who didn't die at least during the show and probably not for a long time afterward. Like Domon with his parents and Kyoji building gunpla. Or Haman watching Mineva on kiddy rides. One of the better ones that wasn't like that was Char sitting down in a park while Lalah is looking around in the background with some ice-creams.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Does Poe ever commit genocide? I don't know that she ever killed more than a few dozen people, and even that is accidental rather than deliberate like genocide implies.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Tae posted:

The payoff for why they kept Lafter alive at the end of season 1.

I'm not going to claim it wasn't worth it, since I haven't seen the episode, but the problem was never so much that Lafter lived in and of itself; but that the show made it look like she (and several other characters) died and then showed them not only alive but with minor injuries at best the next episode. It was a really toothless finale, because it couldn't seem to commit to the things that it was setting up. If Lafter, Azee and Shino were going to live, then the show shouldn't have tried to make it look like all of them died.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

I wonder if IBO is going to get a third season.

God I hope not. I don't even mind the idea of it having a full on sequel, but if the current show gets a third season they'd probably wimp out on the finale again just so the third season can have more drama and be the real finale.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

Technically there is nothing stopping Vidar from being any previously dead character + cyborg and a fake voice but it would be kind of a limp-wristed twist just to have a twist because none of them would actually change anything about the character.

It's already pretty limp anyway assuming Vidar is Gaelio, given that it completely defangs an already fairly toothless season finale.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Fat and Useless posted:

Who's the free space?

Atra. Or Gaelio.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, and the terrifying thing is that he wasn't doing that because he's a cackling monster like the rear end in a top hat in Teiwaz. Iok is scary because he genuinely thinks he is acting in the best interests of his goals and jobs. He is the iconic image of someone who is terrifying not because they are a bastard but terrifying because they are earnest and forthright while being absurdly wrong.

I'm not sure someone who kills civilians and surrendering enemies can really be held to only be operating out of a misplaced sense of right and wrong anymore. He might not be a cackling bastard, but he's still a bastard regardless. If doing those things didn't give him pause then I don't think he'll ever consider his actions in any other light.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm more interested in the Amazing Strike Freedom Gundam on that. Not that I'm particularly attached to the base design; just curious what the difference is when Meijin puts his stamp on it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

GimmickMan posted:

Not too surprising, given how many of them got cancelled or changed directors along the way. :smith:

Not many were though. I know of 5 definite ones across both possibilities, and there's maybe one or two more that I'm not sure of or being generous for ones I don't know. In a franchise with at least 26 entries total including TV anime, OVA and films. Cancelled projects being 0079 and X, while 08th MS Team and 0083 had changed directors. Zeonic Translations recently translated some F91 stuff that spread some light on it's production, including that the staff were never told whether F91 was going to be a film or TV animation and operated under that confusion for months. So it was really cancelled, but the end result is similar enough that it might as well still be counted as one. Which is 5 total, out of at least 16 TV animations, 5 OVAs and 5 films.

Tae posted:

I mean, they had to throw in a half-baked Unicorn series just to fill space for the timeslot between the breaks.

That's not why Unicorn: 0096 exists. It exists because Brave Beats or some other show was cancelled and they needed something to air in it's vacant slot.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 2, 2017

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Lestaki posted:

Still, one man could only do so much, and he destroyed himself bit by bit to obtain the power he needed to triumph over his enemies. As McGillis so helpfully demonstrated, the power of one man could not triumph over the military and political forces that ruled the world of Iron-Blooded Orphans

The point is rather undercut when one man with a very basic machine nearly did triumph over the whole of the settings military and political forces, and was only stopped because of another single man in a single machine. Rustal's use of the Dainsleif's seems much more emblamatic of that theme than McGillis almost succeeding and only really being stopped by one guy. A guy it's heavily implied is one of the few things that could have stopped him.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Char didn't have any dubious dating predilections (Lalah was only a couple of years younger than Char who was a teen himself at the time, Reccoa and Nanai were adults), he died without fulfilling any of his goals while having just yelled about how a teenager could have been a mother to him and he was only ever seen as a good man in Zeta Gundam. Everything, including Zeta where he's actually depicted as heroic takes time to point out how flawed he is, and 0079 and Char's Counterattack both make him look fairly pathetic. Char's Counterattack does have Lalah's ghost try to tell Amuro he's a good person deep down, but it's only ever there to highlight the tragedy of how life and circumstance have twisted him - not to absolve him of anything he's done in pursuit of revenge. Just because he has followers who believe in him doesn't mean we, the audience are supposed to believe he's good.

It's pretty easy to see Char as pathetic. Just because some people can squint their eyes and only see the cool doesn't mean otherwise. Those same people will do the same with McGillis more than likely.

The idea Char was a pedo is essentially a meme that started among fans, was adopted in to the actual animation in Char's Counterattack with Gyunei trying to deflate Quess' infatuation by repeating that Char still dreamed about Lalah and became larger than life over time, with McGillis eventually being the first actually possible pedo Char clone.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 14, 2017

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Guy Goodbody posted:

Reconguista in G was pretty different.

G-Reco felt like it was re-treading a lot of Turn-A's ground to me. It was a show with a plot about the rediscovery of technology after a cataclysm and how that affected the people using the new technology, societies that hadn't known war in ages playing at it, it was about people from space wanting to come back to Earth because living in space was kind of lovely, it had a main villain who thought conflict would re-awaken people's drive and reinvigorate society and so on. It was of course a very different show in many ways, and had a much more vivid color palette, more dynamic animation etc. but it had some striking parallels to both Turn-A and Gundam as a whole (including Tomino playing around with the masked antagonist Gundam trope using a guy called Mask).

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kingtheninja posted:

Turn A Blu ray had some interesting cover art I think.

This one?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The artist who did them (and was involved in the show too if I recall) apparently just enjoys drawing naked girls (many do really). The other box sets art isn't as weird.

I quite like both pictures. I understand the reaction to the first's naked twin hug, but I just think both covers are gorgeous looking so I don't really care honestly.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm pretty sure they're by Akira Yasuda, who also goes by the name "Akiman" and who has, I believe, worked on the Street Fighter games and for Capcom.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

She wanted to be "the maiden of the revolution", not just a politician, but in the end, she accepted the second role.

Didn't she only know about and want to emulate the role after the Dort arc, because Maid McDeath Flag said she was reminded her of a painting of one? She spent less than ten episodes in season one even knowing about it as a thing, and after Dort didn't even strive for it beyond to honor her maid's memory. That doesn't really seem to jive with your reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

AtomikKrab posted:

Dainsliefs only give a fighting chance, the mobile armor can always laser beam the launchers and blow them up before they can fire.

Why would the dainsleif launchers not have the same nanolaminate armor as nearly everything else and be mostly immune to any laser/beam fire from the mobile armors?

• Locked thread