Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

This is a horrible thing for my completionist lizard-brain when I just started a couple of months ago. By my math each event has about a day's worth of stamina required, there's two for each banner, a new banner gets released every day, and they stick around for a week after the last one ends. There's no way to catch up on everything without burning mythril, and while I'll still some off ahead, doing so angers other parts of my lizard-brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Assuming it doesn't list a condition like "earn as a drop from FFVII levels", is there anything I can do to get records to drop more or is it just a very low roll of the dice? Palom and Realm aren't cashing out their exp boosters.

Edit: kvetching works. Both of them dropped on the next two dungeons.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 16, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

saltylopez posted:

I guess if you absolutely had to, but the dungeons seem to have pretty generous open to closing dates.

15 games, 2 to 3 banners per game, ~400 stamina per banner just to get to the + dungeons, then those are 80-100 more until the ultimates. At 20 stamina per hour that's at least a month of stamina charging to do everything, and they're open for three weeks.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

PneumonicBook posted:

Yea...I was a day one player who took a year break and on the FF4 dungeons I have 3 to work through. Depending on how many event sthey do for the realms that have had a poo poo ton of events (basically 6-13) I will absolutely need refreshes, but I'm getting so much mithril coming in I don;t mind using them. And that's without mentioning that I'm at 163 stamina, new players will have less, although it would probably make better snes for them to go through the 1/2 stamina classics until they have at least 100 or so.

I've got 90 so yeah, a mythril doesn't go as far for me.

And I was basing my estimate on games that didn't have six goddamn banners to work through. Mythril refills is definitely a thing. I'm going up through the 120s because that's what I can manage.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

My gil just keeps going up. Is there a sink somewhere I haven't been taking advantage of, or do you just not need it much?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Well, whatever else these events do they're filling out my recruit list and giving most of their level 1/2 breaks too.

Is there an emulator that does fast-forward (and plays nice with this game's calls to the server)? Now that I've started burning mythril to get through these things, the main throttle is just time autoattacking through everything even on max speed. 3-6 minutes a dungeon adds up.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

HPanda posted:

Ugh, these old mastery conditions are killing me. I mean, inflict opponent with sap? Why the hell was that even a thing?

I miss the "hit opponent with full break and maybe an element I guess" conditions of new fights.

"Hit them with Magic Breakdown? You mean that ability I completely replaced with Full Break and so broke?"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Hogama posted:

The Breakdowns still stack with Full Break because they're different IDs, and in fact are a larger decrease on their own in a particular stat (MAG/RES -50%, ATK/MND/DEF -40% compared to Full Break's ATK/MAG/DEF/RES -30%).

Huh, good to know. Fortunately I'm sitting on a metric buttload of orbs from that roulette

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

200 refreshes for at least 700-800 mythril and a boatload of orbs/eggs/skills/5* accessories, assuming the later realms (notably 7, 8, and 10) are as affluent as 4/5/6 are.

If anything, the hard part is going to be finding the spare time to do all that poo poo in the next 18 days.

Takes me 60-90 minutes to churn through a banner's mythril levels, with the short stages meaning I need to keep interacting with the phone. So yeah, with 7 banner's for ff6 this is turning into a job.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The good of it definitely outweighs the bad, there's just some frustrating bad parts.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Oh, not all the stages in the early banners have mythril. I thought they did up until the boss rush stages. That'll save some stamina in my "hit the mythril and see what I need to fill gaps later" strategy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Snazzy Frocks posted:

really? i thought every event was worth 10 mythril

That's probably why. For example the second FF6 banner has 7 stages in the front end, all with mythril, so only three in the back (2, 3 and 6) do

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Is FF7's 10(!) banners the most we're gonna see? Half the stress for me as a newbie is not knowing how many more are coming up down the line.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Books On Tape posted:

Been doing nothing but Renewals and am halfway through FFVII. Just passed 300 mithril after blowing everything I previously had on the 30th anniversary banners. This seems insane. I hope there's some really good relic pulls coming up to blow all this on.

I pulled on the FFV banner (favorite FF, got a couple of BSBs for Bartz to go with his chicken knife, no clue if they're actually useful ones), and then done some pulls on the XV one that gave me some stuff for Aranea whenever I decide to put effort into her. And I still have a bunch of mythril. It's great, I just gotta cultivate some hoarding instincts to save for later banners.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mirthless posted:

If you don't have a platinum sword for Ramza save your mythril for the next Tactics event because you are going to want his BSB2.

The shout buff is pretty much mandatory for melee teams on late game content and you should definitely not try to roll for the platinum sword if there's a much better version about to drop

You mean that's NOT an automatic gimme on your first tutorial relic draw? Guess I got lucky then.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

It's kinda weird how few summon abilities there are in the game considering ffrk considers it a main category like combat or black magic. We don't even have 5* summons for ice or fire yet.

Lemme tell you, blindly churning through levels and running into Diamond Weapon with a full-physical team was (not) a hoot.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Nameless Pete posted:

Wow. People seem to like a 330 MND Rikku USB. Glad that 6* Tiny Bee is good for something.

I've got a Pirate Princess Faris up and I've been pulling similar numbers the last few days. Not sure if people bring her for the full break/wind debuff or if it's just the sheer number of dungeons to go through that means she comes up in rotation a lot.

Also I think I'm gonna finish the IX banners only an hour or so after the X banners go up. I'm finally catching up to things.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 21, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Only one FFXI banner? Oh frabjous day!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Attestant posted:

On the plus side, now is the perfect opportunity to farm some in the FF3 EXP dungeons.

I assume they only drop from the top XP dungeon? If not would it be better to run more of a lower dungeon for more drop chances?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Is there any way to combine skills? I've been getting some dupes from the events of things where I'd only bring one (Hell Thunder for example), and a handful of orbs from breaking it feels like a waste if I can get a hone.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Huh, doing the FF12 stuff I just randomly encountered the 5 mandragora on an unmarked dungeon node. Random encounter boss?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Are people looking at future stuff, or are there banners up that I can't see?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

After all these bonus dungeons are done and we get half-stamina again, what should I target for stamina gems? Started out getting 2 or even 3 per level, then one, and now it's about 1 every other level (just finished VII-12, about a third of the way down the tree). Am I going to break into another cache of stamina gems down the line or should I just focus on doing elites of the stuff I already unlocked?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Noctis has been a stat-stick for me since there's that free level 3 crystal and I started right when that event was up, so I pulled on the banner.

That's my second for Gladio's OSB sword too, making it my first 7-star weapon. And materia for Noctis (chance to doublecast combat techs) and Iris (chance to doublecast white magic). I have Iris's BSB so that works out wel though I've been using a different white mage, and Gladio's taken a back seat in tanking duties due to getting a lot of Beatrix weapons. All in all a pretty lucky pull that really shored up my FFXV team.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

You.

I hate you.

I mean, grats.

But this is quite literally the pull I wanted, and you got it.

Yeah, lucky as heck. It's really hard to sit on the rest of my mythril now. I KNOW nothing is gonna be as lucky as that pull, and there's not really anything else I need from the banner, but it's really tempting to push my luck.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Am I reading the damage formulae correctly that, barring any damage cap or crit/miss issues, there's no difference between an attack that hits twice for normal damage and one that hits once for double damage?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "normal" damage vs. "double" damage. Each attack has a multiplier, and that is what determines its overall power. But barring damage caps and such, a single hit with a 2.0 multiplier will do the same damage as an attack with 2 x 1.0 damage multiplier, yes.

That's what I meant, yes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ha ha HA! I just completely dismantled a 140-rank boss! I know that's trivial for y'all but it's a pretty big milestone. What a difference a bit of ability synergy (and having Noctis/Iris in a FFXV fight with matching gear, and getting those two "start with LB" materia...) can make.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I can't wait to see my favorite FFVI scenes done in pixel art.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I've noticed the Ultimate levels on these revisits give a tiny number of 3* motes compared to the previous stages. Were they originally 4* motes?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Two of the Halloween hunt icons are on the title banner's of the item chest and party screen.. Haven't found the third.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

On the Type-0 fights, after the victory riff it goes into this wonderful minor-key chocobo theme. Does that exist somewhere on Youtube? I haven't been able to track it down but it sounds enough in-tune with the other music from that game it might have snuck in as a bridge somewhere.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

pichupal posted:

This one? Linking from mobile so sorry if it formats weird.

https://youtu.be/McEUiARvwWE

Yeah, that's it, thanks.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The old banners was amazing for a semi-newbie. I got everyone unlocked, their T1 crystals, most of the T2 crystals (and enough extras to fill gaps), and my stockpile of T3 is up to 13 of them for guys I decide to advance. Plus a massive pile of orbs, a handful of various 5* skills, and what, 400-450 mythril?

But man, what a slog. Waiting for stamina instead of doing mythril restores and rushing everything feels so relaxing now.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Are EXP dungeons the best way to master abilities? Now that my main hitlist for the event is over I've got a bit of a backlog.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

wizard on a water slide posted:

Staring down the gigantic wall of renewal banners is giving me itchy pulling finger even though I know it's a terrible idea and I'm only sitting on ~175 mythril

I know the feeling. It's so tough not to spend my mythril.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I've been doing the OK xp dungeon. Up to 5 motes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ceaselessfuture posted:

Got some questions for you all:

1) How do Noctis' USB and OSB shields interact? Does the OSB 30% shield override the 100% USB shield?

2) Should I hone Tiamat for Alphinaud's USB? I'm not sure if I can get to the ~1200 MAG requirement.

3) What 6* non-Nightmare abilities should I go for? It seems like beyond Snowspell Strike none of them are really used.

4) Following that, what good are class motes if most of the 6* abilities aren't used much? IE are Monk motes useful if you have no plans for Lifebane spam?

1) newest shield overwrites the old one no matter how much is left, but I believe the buffs stick around as long as there's any shield up at all.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Got all the mythril, then got all the T2 crystals covered, then I went for the skills (Ultra Cure and full coverage of the Chain -aga spells were probably the biggest points there), now I'm just poking at some accessory bosses with what stamina's left. Good haul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I'd like to be able to filter by status effect or element. "what do I have that can blind for this one guy vulnerable to it" and such.

• Locked thread