Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Evil Canadian posted:

Apparently the PC version is not being handled by Ubi Montreal proper, but handed off to another team within ubisoft germany called "Blue Byte".

Not a big deal for me since I am getting it for PS4, but could be for some PC people? I have no idea about blue bytes history.

They're the guys who made all The Settlers games. Those are good games, and there's lots of them, so they have a lot of history of PC development at least.

Evil Canadian posted:

Maybe Blue Byte does fantastic work I don't know, just tossing it out there.

They're definitely solid in my experience. They're not like, Id or anything, but they've made several 3d PC games that performed pretty well.

Nechronic posted:

Well I was old on The Division by the beta and that turned out to be a fiasco that eventually turned into an alright game. Hopefully they just skip to the alright game part this time.

Yeah but it wasn't the PC performance of Division that was the problem. Game looks amazing. It was the complete lack of endgame and terribly shallow RPG balance with everything requiring mindless grinding.

See: Destiny. Good performance, good shooting, bad RPG design. That's not quite the kind of problem you face with a port.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
My beta on PC never crashed once, but I saw lots of other players dropping from matches regularly. And then even if I wasn't crashing, having them drop from game effected me too. And then like everybody was saying, there were tons and tons of network connection issues.

Game is pretty drat good looking, so may be people who are trying to push the limits of their machines who barely meet the min specs, or could be bugs. Course those bugs could also get ironed out by release; its really hard to say.

But yeah, this open beta should be a pretty good final judge of the state of the pc port at launch.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Open beta is open to all and you can pre-load on PC already right now without buying anything :) (dunno about console)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kensei and Warden (and Raider) are extremely similar with only some slight nuanced differences between them. Each faction gets a basic all-around bread and butter class, and they play very similarly.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Benson Cunningham posted:

For Honor beta up? Oh cool I'll-

can't login to uplay :(

Yeah their servers are getting hosed

this is super dumb Ubisoft. JUST USE loving STEAM.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

panda clue posted:

if only they had done a beta to test server load issues before launch

This isn't launch, this is a stress test. The previous beta was closed so wasn't a stress test.

Launch is next week. (Servers will probably still suck then though, not enough time to respond to the stress results)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ah *woosh*

Yeah well its still dumb everybody has to have their own service like uPlay and Origin and not just use Steam which is far more robust.

I mean if you wanted to play a game that wasn't For Honor today that was a ubisoft title you'd be up poo poo creek. The fact that its not just the game but their whole service struggling is... bad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I thought we were supposed to have 4v4 deathmatch in this beta?

Ah well no biggie. At least I'm in, doing some sword swinging again :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Trillhouse posted:

Also closed beta had a matchmaking bug where it was matching people from different continents together.

This explains much.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fangthane posted:

Pretty much the only gripe I have so far is taking on player characters in the mass of bot mooks. It's pretty annoying trying to concentrate on the player when these nobodies are plinking at you. Then again, I admit it's my fault for engaging in a crowd and should probably back off and lure them to me. It IS a fun game even when you get your rear end handed to you.

Just takes some getting used to. You're free to let go of lock-on and beat up the mooks if you'd rather do that. Lock on makes you focus on the tough guys becuase they're the big deal. Also if you have allied mooks around the enemy mooks should generally leave you alone, so just don't get too deep into enemy territory.

I said it before, you gotta think of Dominion as a MOBA. Three lanes, the middle lane has little guys, you gotta push the lane with the guys unless there's like a 2v1 situation pushing for a gank kill.

super macho dude posted:

can you switch stance mid-combo or is it only until its done or cancelled?

Yeah you can, they're less stances and more directions. You can do like, light light heavy, where the first one is left and the second two are up. That's pretty important to throwing off real human opponents (and level 3 bots) who will respond to a combo and start blocking if you don't switch it up and confuse them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PureRok posted:

So, what kind of Emblems did people make. As a big fan of Jeanne d'Arc, I tried to recreate her coat of arms, but there aren't any fleur-de-lis I could find, so I decided to use some crowns. I then had to use up my two extra slots to cover up the stupid lines coming from the sword. I think it doesn't look too bad, though.

E: For comparison

I went for red and white lines and a crown on a green hill, trying to get something close to the Magyar coat of arms

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 9, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

As much as I was planning on playing for the Knights and maining Warden, I just have to admit I'm better as Kensei.

So I guess I'm a Samurai now?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Donnerberg posted:

How exactly are you supposed to play the moba mode?

I love the duel/brawl modes, but elimination or domination or whatever it's called invariably boils down to a one-vs-everyone slaughter or a button mashing clusterfuck of people. I've been known to enjoy a moba or two in the past, so I think I could like it if I knew how to play it. Maybe I just need to get better at the game in general?

GUIDE TO DOMINION (because lots of people aren't getting it)

There are 3 points. A B and C.

A is near one team, C is near the other, B is in the middle.

B has mooks fighting each other. You can kill mooks to level up and earn Renown to unlock your abilities. These make you much more powerful, so farming mooks at B is important.

But A and C need to be held to earn points. If somebody stands at A or C, you earn +2 points per tick, otherwise only +1 for holding them. This means if the enemy team has A and B, you can hold C and stand on it to receive +2 points per tick, while they get +2 points per tick. So you're tied even though they have 2 points. For them to earn +3 per tick, they'd need to hold someone at A, which means they only have 3 players to push B or C. Then you can give up C in an attempt to blitz A or B with 4 players. This makes holding 2 or 3 points difficult for a long time, and gives the losing team a chance.

Ultimately you need to score 1000 points. Holding a capture point earns you 100 points towards the goal. If you have 700 points and hold A, B and C, that means you have 1000 currently and the enemy team goes into sudden death. They cannot respawn, only rez each other. Try to work together to hunt down the enemy team asap together at this point, if you're at 1000 and the enemy team isn't, you can respawn and they cannot. However if you only have 1000 because of the 100 bonus points from holding a few points, say you have 700+300 but then one point gets captured, now you're at 700+200 which means the enemy can respawn again. Ultimately you'll hit 1000 points without the +100 bonus and the enemy team will be permanently in sudden death. Kill them before they get enough points to put your team into sudden death.

Getting renown from killing players and mostly mooks is important because level 4 abilities are devastating. Throwing out a catapult shot can destroy a player from range if they're injured already, allowing you to easily mop them up if you're in sudden death. But controlling the capture points is key. But killing enemy players forces them out of the game for a few seconds while they respawn, so is important to capturing points.

Perestroika posted:

The thing is that it's really not all that moba-ish aside from the presence of some AI-controlled dudes for you to slaughter when you're not busy doing something else. It plays more like a battlefield-style conquest mode.

It IS very MOBA-ish because you have to balance leveling up with killing opponents, and you have to balance controlling the 3 lanes with working together to out-number and gank your opponents. The strategy to playing Dominion is 100% exactly the same as MOBA strategy, you're just running around in 3D not clicking on a 2D map. The actual combat has NOTHING to do with a MOBA, there's not any skillshots or poo poo like that, the combat is that of a fighting game. But the strategy is that of a MOBA.

Donnerberg posted:

I see. Is there any in waiting at A or C, or should everyone be actively doing something?

Holding A or C will heal you constantly, in addition to getting +2 points per tick instead of +1.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Trillhouse posted:

Thank you for this post. I've only really done 1v1 so this was illuminating to me. All add this graphic too. It helps you understand how renown works and what gets you renown points for your character.

http://m.imgur.com/a/nKH4x

Oh yeah that image is pretty good. Put that in the OP!

And that points out something I left out, that if you're a heavy you're better off holding or contesting A or C than trying to kill mooks at B, while vanguards need to be killing mooks here and there. So that gives you a clear role in dominion based on what class you pick. And obviously assassins are just running around trying to gank players.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Minrad posted:

this is a cool fighting game that should be marketed as such and at 20-40 dollars instead of 60

aside from that I have no real input, the 1v1 and 2v2 modes are great and everything else is a clusterfuck where little of the mechanics make sense or play well

good luck on your game, people willing to buy in

:lol: when was the last AAA fighting game released at $20? Keep dreaming.

If you're a poor just wait a few months for a sale like with literally every video game :v: You act like this is different.

The 4v4 mode makes tons of sense if you spend a few seconds figuring it out, and is very addictive once you get it. I haven't done many duels since, its got so much more going on. But please, blame the game because you're small minded.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Up to the Elves posted:

smooth-lobed jarhead imbecile

:ironicat:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

panda clue posted:

There will also be a singleplayer campaign that no one has seen yet, but it remains to be seen if that will actually add value to the game or if it is just a 4 hour taped-together pile of poo poo.

There's tons of videos of the singleplayer on youtube though?

It seems decent but not great. Like, basically a call of duty campaign. There's cutscenes and some thought put into story, but its not winning any awards for storytelling.

Levels look pretty big, involve running around fighting mooks & bosses and occasionally doing objectives like setting fire to houses.

Dongattack posted:

Is there any point to the Berserkers "dodge into attack" skill really at this stage? I find it easier to pull off parries (cause i learnt that first i guess) and you can guardbreak people for free after a parry anyway.

Berserker, Peacekeeper and Orochi can all combo off of the "dodge into attack" so yeah, there's still a point to it.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 11, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

phourniner posted:

At least you can co-op the campaign. Hopefully it's not a bad way to gently caress around for a few hours with a friend/SO.

Yeah I have held my expectations for the campaign in check (basically "its gonna be poo poo") but the more I see of it, the more it seems decent. Nothing to write home about, but the fact that you can practice your For Honor skills while co-oping with a buddy and smashing skulls sounds like a good few hours.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kubrick posted:

Green Man Gaming has this for $48

https://www.greenmangaming.com/game...cr74aAqP88P8HAQ

Anyone found anything cheaper?

I haven't gotten it yet so went ahead and grabbed this, haven't had issues with GMG before.

Got my key instantly on checkout, plugged it into UPlay and you can pre-load the full game already. So its totally legit.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

TwingeCrag posted:

Can you buy a steam key through them? I don't really feel like re-downloading the game a third time this month. :v:

edit: If the accounts are linked, would it matter?

You can't buy a steam key from GMG, just uplay. (They sell steam keys but only for steam-only games)

If the accounts are linked, not sure, but I think Ubisoft is dumb and would make you re-download it. You may be able to do "locate installed game" or something though?

panda clue posted:

People still question the legitimacy of GMG? I've been using them for years; they're pretty much the top competition for steam when it comes to sales on games. They beat steam prices pretty often for PC titles, and most of the time you're simply buying a steam key from them regardless.

There was a brief period where they were selling some keys that were dubious, and they got some flak from a lot of websites, but they took strides to repair their rep and have never screwed me.

But I just figured I'd say such since people would be right to question something that isn't first-party IMO. Lots of other sites that are less reputable than GMG.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Wandle Cax posted:

Ha yeah I do the same. But there's only 3 maps for dominion so it doesn't make much difference. I guess the weather changes. I do like how you can play elimination on all 6 maps, both larger dominion maps and the smaller arenas.

How exactly does the dodge work? Ive noticed recently playing the Kensei that dodging into an attack with the right timing does kind of a counter move, how does this differ from parry etc

You mean Orochi? The assassins have a deflect if you dodge into an attack, but Kensei shouldn't have that...

If you go to the "how to play" section on the heroes customization screen, you can not only see the moves and descriptions for how they work, but there's videos showing you how to use them. They're pretty solid and shouldn't be overlooked.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gimbal lock posted:

Expect the faction war to bloom into something that has more meaning eventually. It's a little spartan right now and is missing stuff that gives players more control over its results. It's like fish out of water right now.

They really need a mode where you have to play with people on your faction and have to play classes of your faction. I can't believe it doesn't exist yet and I can only hope that its actually in the full game at release. If it isn't... I don't understand the devs. But I imagine regardless it'll get patched in someday.

I mean that seems like the whole point of faction war to me.

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

It seems like such a simple fix to give these people what they actually want though and hell, I'd like it to - 1v1 lobbies. Join a 1 v 1 Duel alone or in a group, go into a lobby, rotate through. Winner stays in, loser goes back to spectating.

Yeah its been suggested in thread like 10 times now. The devs need to get on it and create a lobby duel mode.

Chomp8645 posted:

There is simply too much activity to sort through. The internet tubes are clogged with activity.

Its not a big truck!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 11, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

mellowjournalism posted:

lmao i love this game but holy poo poo I want to throw my controller out the window sometimes. just got completely swept by bots in 4v4 AI :lol:

Cool thing is you get rewards even if you lose, so hey no biggie. And most of the mission orders things are for "complete" rather than "win" matches. So that's nice.

It definitely has that fighting game feel of just screwing up your combo and then having somebody else just parry everything you do and clown on you. But also sometimes you clown on other people :)

I've been practicing parries and I'm definitely improving. Switched from Kensei back to Warden.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kubrick posted:

I don't think I have the coordination to play this game correctly. I can't beat even the level 2 bot without cheesing it off a cliff.

There's a TON of subtle as gently caress poo poo in this game that you have to actually take the time to learn or you won't realize it even part of the game. There are good tutorials but you have to play them all and watch the videos and pay attention.

If you don't know what parries are, what cancels are, which of your attacks are unblockable or which of your abilities combo into each other, you're gonna get beat. But learning and practicing those things will make you improve a ton.

What class are you playing? Definitely avoid the assassins (Orochi, Peacekeeper, Berserker) until you know what you're doing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

For whatever reason, Warlord and Berserker are easily my least favorite opponents. Good players of both of those are just scary.

But it doesn't seem to translate to Conquerors, who I'm not as afraid of. Good Peackeepers and Orochi are pretty nasty too though. (But there's lots of bad Orochi lol)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Its so, so dumb that the if someone leaves in the aftergame lobby the game either replaces them with a bot or closes the match entirely. Why would you not allow those slots to be filled with people searching for a game??

people can join the game mid-match, even taking the place of AI

closing the match entirely is kinda silly though instead of just matchmaking more people automatically

Same with if you get the "this match is full" bug, it should just put you back in the matchmaking hopper not kick you to the main screen

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hypha posted:

So, like new Lawbringer looks sweet. I am now hype.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0avrEUx21bg

Looks like a Raider mixed with a Nobushi.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm probably the only person really excited to play the Shoguki.

I just wanna be a fat man hitting people with a big club.

Dude I wanna play Shugoki so bad. SUMO MAN!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zzulu posted:

Yeah I saw a knight today with some sort of gold/bronze armor that I had never seen before. There's some pretty cool stuff at upper tiers

Yeah, most classes you get a new material like brown or red leather, but knights get different armor metals. Gold requires you to be absurdly high level, but you unlock Bronze at level 20 which looks extremely similar to Gold.

I'm gonna be rocking the Bronze most of the game. (There's also Silver and Black!)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Psycho Society posted:

Also I just figured out you can change genders too, so that's cool. Now to learn when feats actually work since I can do 4v4 on some maps (not dockworld though I get kicked from even 1 on 1s there sometimes, lol)

You can also change skin colors :eng101: but for a few classes you can't see any skin!

Psycho Society posted:

I'm curious how long before the game gets a big steam discount though. It's a super fun game but 60 is a bit steep.

How long until call of duty gets a big steam discount? A few months.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

hey welcome to the show! posted:

Calm down. Someone in this world loves you, ask for a hug. Do you need to poop? Some people get irritable when they need to poop.

Its Chomp. He lives to shitpost and rage on the internet about stupid poo poo.

I don't know why he doesn't just go post about poo poo he does like, but that's Chomp.

Chomp8645 posted:

lol don't be an rear end in a top hat

Lol are you loving kidding me

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah if anything I thought the Samurai and Vikings were winning the faction war :shrug:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Haroshia posted:

I did, but only because this game made me feel like I was finally proving European knight superiority over dumb thin sword wielding weeaboos in wooden armor and naked drunks with axes.

Deus Vult

:hist101: Knight Lyfe

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Why isn't this poo poo out yet

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Darkmoon2k posted:

I've been hyped to play Valkyrie ever since this game was announced, but goddamn there's no information out on it. Thankfully some streamboys go early access and are showcasing the other classes.

Cohhcarnage was playing Valkyrie and I got some screenshots of the moveset for anyone who shares my hype for spear lunging, shielding bashing, headbuttin' murder machine.

Wow, this is pretty wild.

Psycho Society posted:

Too many raisins

:golfclap:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I mean if its a super slow grab then it'll be useless against good players but drive new players insane. That's like the worst thing you can put in a game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

1500 posted:

So you can buy steel with cash. Not sure if this was already known.

it was assumed.

But unless they monkey with the amount we get each day it shouldn't really be necessary at all.

Thing is this is a system to fleece a few rich idiots out of money so we all get free map packs. I'm fine with that. Communism! :ussr:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

panda clue posted:

orochi can't even afford a scabbard, dude. forget buying steel

poor orochi scabbard

lost but not forgotten

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Not mere scabbard can hope to contain the power of the Orochi's hundred times-folded katanna :anime:

Speaking of hundred-folded katana :japan:

I was diving through random wikipedia pages and this graphic seemed pretty kewl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Arthil posted:

I don't think the Gold Edition comes with Steel? Unless it's in the boost pack.

It comes with that special pro status for awhile at least doesn't it? That probably earns you back even more steel.

Internet Kraken posted:

You don't even need to worry about unlocking characters since you can still play as characters you haven't "recruited". The entire cash for steel mechanic is fine with me since you can ignore it entirely. Of course you'd better be given the game already costs 60 bucks.

I mean compare this to Evolve which launched with pretty much the worst payment system imaginable.

Yeah, it really does seem like a pretty sensible micro plan. You can really, REALLY ignore it and do just loving fine.