Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

bhsman posted:

I'm curious to know which goons have already voted or if anyone prefers going on Election Day for the spectacle/tradition.

There's a lot of folks posting early voting trip reports in the TXPOL thread. For me, it was a) potentially helping to depress the R vote, and b) being available on Election Day in case any friends need a ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

We should ignore people who "feel that way" because people who "feel that way" are wrong, scientifically, their dumbshit feelings and opinions are medically dangerous, and they should have no influence in government.

Seriously. It's one thing when a regular citizen says "I feel (this completely indefensible thing) about vaccines." When one runs for the highest office in the land (or really any public office), one loses that privilege. At best, it's irresponsible and unworthy of adulthood.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Spoondick posted:

also, in coming from the future, im laughing my rear end off at these threads because all the concern about hillarys health was actually justified because we ended up with 7 years 10 months of president tim kaine, which of course led to the technological singularity and our colonization of the moons of jupiter

Well, that's what happens when we're all in harmony-ca.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

canepazzo posted:

Jesus Christ HuffPo :stare:

Link

Good. Dunk on this small fraction of a human being.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Some of that might just be Souls to the Polls and all, but still. If Comey just ends up energizing the democratic base or bouncing off and his hatchet job doesn't even accomplish anything, it will be perfect.

Hope it does. For weeks I'd already planned to vote yesterday for Clinton, but I was pissed when I went to the ballot.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

canepazzo posted:

https://twitter.com/ericbradner/status/793470063034634240

25million ad buy in CO, FL, IA, ME, MI, NM, NC, OH, WI, VA, NV, NH for Trump.

Hail Mary or we're doomed? For you to decide.

Hail Mary, potentially hot air. Clinton's got far more in her war chest, and I don't see Trump actually able to buy much in those markets at this point (if anything at all).

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Is it just me or has Trump drastically cut down on tweeting? It seems like the debate was the last source we've had of his crazy bullshit instead of the steady trickle we'd been enjoying.

In addition to the solid points so far, Hillary's campaign started that Troll Trump website that automatically collects donations whenever Trump tweets. Posting from phone, don't have a link handy, but it's a funny and well made site that may have gotten his attention.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

Some bad polls came out?

How bad should I arzy?

Not much, there could be some issues with 'em and other polls continue touting a Clinton lead.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

Are there any articles available about how Trump consistently attacks people about things he himself has done? I don't even know how to phrase it to look it up on google I've gone through like 6 different re-wordings

I went with "Trump accusation projection". This was the first result.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

Weird one of them I did was "Trump projectionism" and didn't get anything of substance but thanks

Word. I bet the search algorithms had problems distinguishing that from polls ("projected voters," etc.).

isk
Oct 3, 2007

uncertainty posted:

Could someone link to the other guys forecasts that have showed up in this thread again? They are not in the op and I don't know what to google for. (I vaguely remember him being at MIT or princeton?)

On a phone but it's Sam Wang at Princeton. Website is the PEC.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Your Boy Fancy posted:

So Trump thinks, a month after disbanding his state apparatus, he can just waltz into my state and win because he heard a rumor?

Oh baby COME ON IN. You may have the small towns, but we have the North. And the North is voting. And the North has had a loving juggernaut being rammed up its rear end since Labor Day. Come waste your time. You may have Strasburg and Staunton and Stephens City, but we have Annandale and Alexandria and Arlington.

Come and fight me, Nagaina. You won't be a widow for long.

Just wanted to say your posts in the last 24 hours have been especially good.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I hope Spotlight's next big story just gets published and posted without any of this loving preamble.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Gunder posted:

Question from an interested European: What happens if Trump loses but refuses to concede or refuses to accept the outcome of the vote? Does this cast America into political paralysis? Does the loser have to concede at all? Can the country just say: "Whatever" and get on with business as usual?

Depends on his actions. If he just rants and raves, it's one guy being loud and stupid. America pretty much moves on. If he incites armed action, he gets arrested by the FBI for sedition.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Wait, did someone seriously leak the name of the rape accuser who specifically chose not to come forward out of fear? :smith:

Nah, pseudonym.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Johnson's final wish would be to free the Genie, so long as it enters of its own free will into a permanent and binding contract with him to grant whatever further wishes he wants and enforce the non-aggression principal on all mankind via whatever force necessary.

What's an Agrabah?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

White men killed their own unions because they didn't want to let black people in and now they have no choice but to "become" racist. Because of the economy you see.

lmao

isk
Oct 3, 2007

*edit - just saw his follow-up. Well done, dude.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Pastrymancy posted:

Bernie is also at the rally so I have no idea what the target demographics are for this NC event specifically

gary-oldman-everyone.gif

isk
Oct 3, 2007

iospace posted:

So, Tim Kaine gave an entire speech in Spanish today in Arizona :3:

I love you, bilingual harmonica dad.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

The hardest choice for the Imperials vs Stormcloaks involves the English voice actors. Colonel Tigh vs Buliwyf? Are you kidding me????

But really it's an easy choice because gently caress racism.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

gfsincere posted:

Familial encouragement of knowledge I feel is the most crucial factor, especially at very very young ages (toddler-pre-k ages).

Yeaaaaaaaaap. Parents reading with me before bed every night paid off.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

So, just so you know: when you're so outraged that you "can't even" or whatever, it's better to just say nothing, because it's those sort of reactions that lead people to think "guess I'll go eat worms vote Trump because apparently I'm deplorable now."

Gonna go back a bit for this one.

Craptacular! posted:

I think it's at the point where I don't disagree with these peoples chosen candidate so much as I disagree with how solemnly serious they are about promoting it. I've voted Democrat for most things barring some civic offices and Schwarzenegger, I should be happy in this echo chamber, but I'm getting disgusted because it won't go away.

I have two reactions to this - one empathetic, another harsh.

1) It can be exhausting to watch a bunch of comfortable-to-rich white dudes competing in the Woke Olympics.
2) This talk about "getting disgusted because it won't go away" comes off as extremely privileged, like why won't these filthy peasants lighten up occasionally.

This might be projection on my part - you seem to be coming from a place of privilege. Telling persons of color how they should express their anger or frustration or grief is really not fair or effective. Better to seek understanding. Like, read a lot and monitor your actions. It's not a switch to toggle, it's not an end goal, but it is important.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I write an effortpost, one of my better ones on racism, imo

Agreed - I found it kind and insightful.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

What else do you want to call it

I mean you started off far above my level in effort but the truth is I have a low level of education, and I don't doubt that some of the things I say are due to exposure to racists given that I grew up in a very white town with a racist grandparent or two. These issues are not ones I'm all properly woke on and you can either mock me for it like I'm using "the blacks" or help me try to change. It's not like I totally refuse to change. Discussing important issues on social matters in the past has changed my mind or changed my behavior or thinking.

Stop projecting errors and effort issues.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

Thank you for the consideration.
It's clear continuing that conversation any further that I'm swimming in the Olympic pool when I was only looking for wading pool level of depth. I was simply discussing social issues where some people who vote to the left are Not Progressive Enough for other people on the left and, sure enough, that's exactly what happened.

I'm taking one last look at the discussion here and going to bed, but I'm not posting further.

It's thoroughly exhausting to be someone's personal guide through intersectional issues. Feeling entitled to guidance, or casting blame when someone reacts with anger, is not gonna help you grow or improve things as a whole. Try to understand another's perspective. If it's not clear, don't cast blame. Keep looking.

If you have a close friend who can help you with this - great! Don't ever ever ever ever take them for granted.

On top of that, read. A lot.

For anyone new to all this that adventure with Crappy is pretty much a perfect textbook case of how this poo poo usually goes. The vague but oh-so-reasonable concerns that perhaps PC culture goes to far. The forays into more and more blatant racism. The outrage at not being welcomed with open arms. The orders to educate. The sniffing about how ill-treated they have been, and finally the ball-taking and home-going.

PLEASE LISTEN TO TB, SERIOUSLY JESUSFUCK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

CelestialScribe has not posted in a month.

did he die

Probated

• Locked thread