Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
What was the big deal with ME3 MP? I tried it a couple of times and it was the same boring cover-shooting that the main game had: nothing I would want to play in its own right...

What was I missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

BexGu posted:

Horde mode with different powers and builds. At the time the only other Horde Mode was Gears of War 3 but with MS3 Horde mode there was a ton of different weapons/combos/abilities to mix and match with. It was also pretty cool how new weapons/class/races kept coming out that were not just reskins of the first couple of classes. Like a Solider class between races would actually have different strength/weakness (not just abilities) that would come into play in higher level matches.

It also created great stories with a lone person making a last stand taking out the final wave and living to the extract while the rest of the party cheers him/her on.

So it was like ME3's combat with L4D's game modes?

Maybe I was too jaded because I saw the addition of MP as a waste of production resources combined with the fact that they forced you to play at least 15 hours of it to get the :turianass: best :turianass: ending in single player. Did everyone play it because it was fun enough and happened to be there, because it didn't seem to offer anything that games dedicated to multiplayer didn't already do much better.

I don't know, I feel about Bioware now like I felt about Blink 182 in college: they just didn't grow up with me and kept cranking out material for younger people.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Sara Ryder is from the outskirts of Novigrad? :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YcZuZoQ3Pw&t=1884s

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
hot fries and dr pepper

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

fridge corn posted:

hot fries are the best gaming food fight me :colbert:

ftfy

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

DrNutt posted:

First I had a Mass Effect Andromeda avatar, now I have a Destiny 2 avatar, surely there will be another lovely disappointing game released that will provide me a new av.

For a hilarious twist your next av will come from the abortion that will be the combination of those two games!

efb: drat y'all are quick.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
If a Family Sized bag of Doritos costs $4.69USD, how many bags of Doritos would you say ME:A is worth, as a purchase?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Rinkles posted:

Wow missed some news, Bioware has a new logo

rather, uh, bland

A team of people graduated from a college of design to produce this.

I'm guessing that Anthem won't be worth a bag of Hot Fries ($2USD retail) but would be pleasantly surprised if their idea of a hit game from 2014 turns out to be a success!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Ekusukariba posted:

Just how toned down it is from the reveal footage, there even seems to be some framerate dropping when they start shooting, the reveal trailer has a giant storm of special effects happen without any issues to framerate

I mean, if you're surprised by this in the year of our lord two-thousand-and-eighteen I just don't know what to tell you.
:pcgaming:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Oh god the comments on the IGN livestream currently showing Anthem when Cyberpunk is on the posted schedule are choice.
:discourse:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I couldn't make it past the first 3 hours of DA:I because the game continually trying to force me into a romantic relationship during every dialogue became so tedious that I finally just gave up and quit rather than listen to another quirky character with a dramatic entrance flirt with me like a high school jock.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Romance is fine in a game, Witcher 3 did it really well, as has been pointed out. It should be noted that it took two games of doing it really badly for CDPR to get to that point, however.

My problem with Bioware is that every single named character in every game after ME3 is bangable on some level and boy do they let you know. Within the first dialogue tree, every party-character will flirt with you and make it ~super obvious~ that they are a romantic option. Given the nature of their games (important-decidey-person makes decisions to save the world/universe/kingdom) this seems hugely unprofessional of the characters: we've got a huge blue/green/red laser MacGuffin to stop! Why are you throwin' dat rear end out there???

At least with ME1 they made you work for it and brought up that it was a ~bad idea~ to bang your teammate. Honestly, I don't know how any of you didn't kill the racist and keep your buddy (who's also a loving officer, y'all need to dust up on fraternization regulations), because the story makes much more sense with Kaidan as the second human Specter. The correct solution to the ME romance puzzle is to bang the shadow broker in 1 (because she isn't in your CoC), then be celibate for the rest of the series because you have to save the loving galaxy and don't have time for Shep to go horizontal!

Anywho, Bioware sucks now and they haven't made a game up to their par in about a decade. Maybe some fresh-faced kids will resurrect the brand in a decade. :shrug:

chiasaur11 posted:

So, you're saying they shouldn't do anything, basically.

p much yup

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Halloween Jack posted:

I just noticed that all of the women are wearing invisible heels lmfao

Not the dumpy one: she gets flats...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Marketing budget must be a doozy because I saw a bunch of fluff pieces about Anthem.

TheCenturion posted:

Let’s have a ME where you’re the guy trying to destroy the galaxy.

They could almost get me with a prequel where you play as either Saren or Anderson...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Generational ships are a bad, bad idea and will never end well. Inbreeding is actually the least of such a ship's worries, because by the end you'll have lost almost all the important knowledge necessary for setting up a colony planetside at the end of the trip and just plain have a whole bunch of people who've never known anything except said ship and a spinning FTL vortex surrounding it. That's not discounting the potential breakdown into tribal factions, religions, or just plain fatal malfunctions from 600 years of constant living with no means of obtaining critical replacement parts. Especially if it's "only" a fraction of the crew, because now you've got a couple thousand people at the mercy of said inbred descendants either worshiping the cryo-pods or destroying them for fun because they don't know what they are.

It's also a complete waste of resources when you can just wake a couple of people up every few decades to check the readouts and logs before going back to sleep for another 20-50 years.

Hey, we say this in The Expanse thread all the time, but everyone should really read Aurora!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Arcsquad12 posted:

Reapers and Darkspawn threatening the entire setting are dumb because they get beaten within the timespan of a single game. The Blights and the Reapings in past cycles for both games are recorded as lasting for decades, while the games have you beat the world ending threats in a matter of months.

Canon Ending is a fail state: everyone dies/is reaped and the cycle continues. :colbert:

Hot Fries, Cheez-its, and Chex Mix, with Dr. Pepper are my gaming foods of choice. Thank you for reading my words on the internet!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Space Bieber should have just been like "lol, stupid libtard cuck, you thought reaper tech and space-love would save you but you're just a dumb husk now, Sheppy. Welp, on to the next cycle, I guess..."

RBA Starblade posted:

Dead Ghost Child should have been Jenkins

Also this.

Cythereal posted:

He would have been tolerable, I think, if you'd been able to talk him to death. Give the player much more freedom than the conversation with the Illusive Man, have Shepard talk to the controlling intelligence of the Reapers and convince it that it's wrong.

As it is, the only way you can even hint at disagreeing with him is the Refusal ending.

corn in the bible posted:

I don't just mean the ending appearance but the entire thing is lazy and stupid

Honestly, they should have just run with Indoctrination Theory and pretended like it was their intention all along. Too bad they did the opposite of that because some rear end in a top hat ten-year-old happened to write a letter. :shrug:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

jokes posted:

I suppose I should play Mass Effect 3 and finish it at some point considering I really liked ME1/ME2 but the ending is really daunting. Should I even play it?

Tough call: gameplay is similar to 2, but lacks a lot of what made 2 really fun for me: the enemies/powers in 3 felt stale...every set piece I remember was just a horde mode assault.

Everybody rails about how good Citadel DLC is, but I didn't do that so I missed the best part? Also, the Prothean team-member is locked behind a zero-day paywall and you couldn't get the "best" ending without doing the MP, which wasn't as fun when it was forced down your throat.

If you're willing to break with reality, you can make this your head-canon and the story is actually pretty good: https://youtu.be/ythY_GkEBck

Alright, see y'all for the same talk next year. :wave:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Oh, and the ninja-guy should have been a cyborged Jacob, really missed an opportunity to make an interesting antagonist there.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Cythereal posted:

I just beat the game last night and had already forgotten about Kai Leng.

And the most interesting thing Bioware could find for Jacob to do was cheat on you if you romanced him in ME2. Congratulations on romancing the one black person you can boink! He cheats on you and gets the other woman pregnant! And his dad's a rapist!

:lol::hf::perfect:

Pattonesque posted:

actually wait, the funniest thing about Mass Effect 3 is that prior to its release people were seriously discussing Mass Effect as the next Star Wars, the kind of established extended universe that goes mainstream and gets movies and TV shows and makes the company what owns it millions of dollars a year forever as everything good about it is ground into paste

which, lol

It's the :bsg: of gaming: top marks for world-building and characters, but the story is so bad and the ending so absurd that it nearly ruins all of the foundations they laid out. If they just done what they did for ME2, make 16 endings with all of the variations from Fail-Shep to Perfect Ending, and let people finish it however they wanted...kind of like their advertising promised...it would have been fine.
:corsair:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Cythereal posted:

I always go with Control. Really, the only logical next step for Shepard is for her to become the benevolent goddess of the galaxy.

That's what Saren said... :colbert:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

chiasaur11 posted:

It would have been less damaging, but even what we got wasn't fatal. Andromeda, despite being composed entirely of warning signs, still probably sold 2 million plus copies. (Less than NieR: Automata, but still a decent number. )

That ending was setup. Andromeda was the killshot.

Agree. I also think MEA wouldn't have sold 250k if it didn't have ~MASS EFFECT~ slapped on the front. As a first outing, that would have been an embarrassment, as a fourth installment it literally killed a decade-old franchise that was being discussed at "the next Star Wars." :shrug:

drat guys, I have really strong feelings about this, six years on. :unsmith:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Cythereal posted:

Wrong, Saren wanted Synthesis. Control is the Illusive Man's idea.

:nallears:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

DarkHorse posted:

Oh yeah, they completely disregarded everything in-universe and canon and just... it was bad. So bad that I know about it and never read the books.

Although they did some of that poo poo in ME2 and a LOT in ME3, but w/e.

I saw people talking about Assassin's Creed earlier, is Origins or Odyssey(?) good? Last one I played was the one with the ships and the reveal that you're Connor whats-his-face's granddad.

EDIT: Oh yeah I never finished ME:A. I got to the point where you learn about Meridian then kind of wandered off and never came back. This is after playing through ME1 and ME2 like six times each, and though I still blame the ending of ME3 for killing my enthusiasm ME:A killed my interest.

Origins was made by the same team as Black Flag (the pirate one) and owns bones. Odyssey also looks dope. They're just trying to rip off The Witcher at this point, which is turning the AssCreed series into Bioware's spiritual successor.

Edit: like, seriously, the next AC looks like a Bioware game from 10 years ago! :pcgaming:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

DrNutt posted:

I love this gif and it makes me miss my derpy female Ryder av

Yeah, if the game had been fun/good, people would have thought of these gifs fondly. Kingdom Come was buggy as poo poo and has some hilarious, derpy memes, but the game was fun and the characters mildly interesting so people forgave it. Same with most Bethesda games at launch.

Pattonesque posted:

Actually check that again, the real funniest thing is when they said they took inspiration from Witcher 3 in Andromeda's quest design, which, lol

Like there's one mission I remember where you stumble across a bridge on ... Ice Planet I think. There are a couple kett and bombs on the bridge so you take care of them and your squaddies are like "great now people can use the bridge"

but no one ever uses the bridge or shows up after you liberate the bridge, it's never referenced anywhere, there's barely any reward, and it's just an excuse to shoot some kett

I don't even think there's a road attached to it

Previous BioWare games had glitches or derpy faces but crucially:

1. they didn't show up all over the goddamn marketing in the week leading up to release

2. the games they were in were mostly good games so they were at worst minor distractions

like Shepard's creepy smile in ME2 was a meme but ME2 was one of the best games of all time so it's more an "oh, you!" reaction than anything else

I almost forgot about the goofy, custom-Shep memes. Add that to the list.

Let's not forget one of the reasons the ~face~ scene is so bad is that line is atrociously written. Like, seriously, twenty different people saw that and no one stopped it. loving absurd. They recorded the line and, I assume, chose the best take and still decided to leave it in. Dozens of people: writers, editors, playtesters...and no one could stop that from making it into the game?
:confused:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Wasn't there even some talk that it might be an interesting take on Columbus, invading the New World and taking it from the ~primitive locals~ (weren't the aliens in MEA literally red-skinned? :ohdear:), but then they kind of just let that wither on the vine and never did anything with that concept?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

ashpanash posted:

That's overstating things a bit. There's plenty of stuff between galaxies. It's just on average the average density of intergalactic space is extremely diffuse, much more so than the average density of space inside a galaxy.

Basically, you'd expect to find an atom every cubic meter or so, on average. But there's of course random gas clouds, planetoids, even a bunch of rogue stars ejected from their galaxies through gravitational interactions. In the gigantic vastness of millions upon millions of light years, though, it's pretty drat empty.

There's also all of the crap we cannot see yet because our detection equipment isn't sophisticated enough. Still ~95% of the universe unaccounted for. :science:

Ainsley McTree posted:

It’s probably for the best that this writing team didn’t try to tackle that

Yeah, definitely not the same team that thought ~my face~ was a good line. :nallears:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Ashley's not a racist, thanks.

:nallears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M9vBZm0iUw&t=73s

Not a SpaceRacist posted:

Look, if you're fighting a bear and the only way for you to survive is to sick your dog on it and run: you'll do it. As much as you love your dog, it isn't human. It's not racism, not really...members of their species will always be more important to them than humans are."

She's literally a racist in her own words and tries to justify that by saying that everyone else in the universe are the ~real~ racists (against humans)... :rolleyes:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Which, funnily enough, they all do.

Ashley is a racist is a bad meme.

Also, humanity is the dog in her analogy.

The aliens are the dog in her analogy, since Shep is not an alien. She then justifies comparing other sapient life forms to an animal by asserting "they all do the same," something objectively disproven multiple times throughout the series.

Sorry your spaceGF is a spaceracist. :shrug:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

exquisite tea posted:

You mean the radioactive pile of ash on Virmire I threw at the bear? :smuggo:

She would have been excited to see Kaiden become a Spectre, but there were soooo many useless eaters aliens in the second and third games, it's probably for the best she sacrificed herself (on my orders). :sicknasty:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
EA Marketing: "SAVE THE EARTH AND CHOOSE YOUR OWN ENDING TO THE EPIC CONCLUSION OF A 100+ HOUR SAGA!!!!1"

Also EA Marketing:

Just to end this derail: I've been really into cheese puffs lately.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Did the same writers who produced the dialogue also do the codex? Because it seems like "no."

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

DarkHorse posted:

Playing Witcher 3 I’m constantly amazed by the subtlety and nuance they convey; a little eyebrow twitch, a sly smirk, slightly narrowed eyes at just the right moment... I have no idea how you Code all that, but it works amazingly well. So well that even when they fail and I’m momentarily taken out of the game it just makes me appreciate how seamless it normally is.

MEA on the other hand

They have an extremely robust animation suite and decent procgen system. A lot of what CDPR does is going back over the procgen by hand, to perfect it. Bethesda and Bioware expect the tech to do all of the work.

So the engine spits out a baseline for a scene, then one of the devs goes in an makes sure the eyebrow twitch is in time, adds the sly smirk for effect, and replaces narrow_eyes_3 with narrow_eyes_5 because it fits better.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Pattonesque posted:

well, Mass Effect 2

but yes, I used to pre-order every ME or DA game because I knew what I was gonna get from a BioWare game. Not true anymore.

Technically true, since ME2 was released on January 26th, 2010, but that's still not a good look...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
ME5 will be set 1000 years in the future, in a post-Collapse, neoFeudal space society, with the PC as an up-and-coming Man-At-Arms. You'll be on your way to town, picking up goods for your family, when you hear explosions! The SpacePrincess has been ambushed! At the right place at the right time: you save the SpacePrincess with your lasersword and are given a Knighthood. As you and the princess grow closer, she introduces you to galactic politics and her romance questline, revealing that most of the Space Kingdoms are fighting an extra-galactic threat. Fears of the Reaper's return abound the upper-echelons of society, before revealing in the final act that the invaders are humans from Andromeda, altered by Forerunner tech, who have come back to reclaim their home-galaxy from the Reapers...and anyone else who may stand in the way of YOO-MAN-A-TEE...

Will you, Bob Everyman, stay with the woman you love, or help humanity return to its rightful place at the top of the New Order? Preorders start May 2019.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
dude took one for the team reading/posting that
:gooncamp:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

hobbesmaster posted:

Their preferred ending for ME3 was to destroy the franchise so yeah they have no idea what to do with it now

The canon ending is Destroy, but not how the players thought...

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

The main plot of 2 makes sense.

Much like how some of these people insisted that the Mass Effect series was always as horrible as Andromeda, people think that ME2's plot was always total nonsense when it only became so with the advent of the third game.

Anthem is an amazing failure and it's kind of sad that the OP of that thread is being paid by Bioware.

Anywho, the plot of ME2 should have been the story for ME1, then have the plot from ME1 as the second of the trilogy, and round it out with 3 but with Indoctrination Theory.

There. Series fixed.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hey I played Mass Effect 2 recently and it's still a good game. More Blade Runner by way of Firefly than the first game, which had the Star Trek angle, but still sweet.

Wrex is fun and his loyalty mission music is definitely a treat. And definitely a Blade Runner callback.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rGQqBNZSAs

Remember when Bioware made fun games?
If a Mass Effect game was made with the gameplay of 3 and the movement changes from Andromeda, the storytelling of 1, and the polished production values of 2, it would be unstoppable. I've never felt that a Mass Effect game has ever reached its full potential and that's sad because it is such a fascinating love letter to science fiction but it just comes close to being great and the shortcomings drag it down.

Yeah. The King is dead. Long live the King.

I have high hopes for CDPR and Cyberpunk 2077... :smithicide:

I'm going to guess again that, when they finally return to the IP, it'll be something like Anderson as the PC running around with Saren doing ~almost spectre~ stuff, pre-ME1. You get the universe everyone knows/cares about (intact), you get all of the familiar faces still alive for cameos, and you can write off new inventions as :turianass: cutting edge blackops tech. :turianass:

I've been drinking lots of water and eating Barnum's Animal Crackers while gaming, incidentally. :munch:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Ekusukariba posted:

You have way more faith than me that Bioware will return to the series, let alone make more games before getting shutdown

I have faith that someone is going to want to quickly/easily monetize a half-billion dollar IP...

I didn't say it'd be good. :smithicide:

You know what is good? Playing Red Dead 2 with white chocolate Kit Kat minis. :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aKtIkEyMf0

What'ch'all making for Quarantine Gaming?