Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Bill Murray is annoying and the only time he works well in a film is when they lean into that.

lemon-lyme disease posted:

I’d like to see a comic book movie that isn’t presented like a comic book movie. That’s a maybe unpopular opinion.

Actually, there probably are some of these already. But it could be done with mainstream characters too. They don’t have to be stereotypical action-things, do they? That’s just the way they are at the moment.

The Death of Stalin, Road to Perdition, Persopolis, A History of Violence. Something like Jessica Jones is very light on the action too.

Adaptions of comic books don't have to be stereotypical action films but adaptions of DC / Marvel characters generally do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

White Bear isn't a good episode of Black Mirror and the ending feels cheap rather than clever.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Black Mirror episodes are all focused on the impact of technology and the media; there's a reason "what if phones but too much" was used to describe the series.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Black Mirror generally (but certainly not always) has protagonists pushed beyond their limits by systemic forces or by actions done in moments of weakness spiralling out of control. There are only a handful of stories where you're watching a bad person suffer and those invariably raise questions about proportionality and justice because of how cruel they end up being. I'm trying to be vague because I think overall it's a great show and spoilers drastically affect how you watch some of the stories.

For more thread content:

Chris Pratt is one of the many things dragging down Guardians of the Galaxy and his character in Jurassic Park is one of the best ever examples of a Mary Sue. He should stick to roles like Parks & Rec and the LEGO Movie.

Doctor Spaceman has a new favorite as of 11:21 on Nov 26, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Another year might have let them finish duct-taping the engine together too.

It'd have also been in direct competition with Half-Life 2.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I don't know if it's better to give Stefan Molyneux no money at all or one dollar because he loving hates it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CM_--di7L8

Doctor Spaceman has a new favorite as of 02:20 on Dec 8, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Tiggum posted:

All complaints about the video game industry seem really dumb and petty to me. You know you can just not buy them, right?
You know that most things are a mix of good and bad and that chucking everything out that has a flaw would lead to a dull life right?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

There are some references to it (eg he mentions his name is Olorin) but the whole thing about Gandalf, Sauron, and the other wizards being demigods or angels is from The Silmarillion.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dark Souls PvP is universally garbage and you should be able to ignore it without penalty. Even alt-F4ing when you get invaded is too much of a hassle.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I guess it's good you can ignore it without penalty then.
How? I want to do things like kill bosses, help kill bosses, kindle bonfires, summon friends, etc I open myself up to the possibility of PvP.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Gandalf has a ring of power for all of the Hobbit and LotR, which is another thing that is buried in the appendices / you only find out right at the end.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

You said ignore it without penalty, not reap all the benefits of playing online without pvp. You can always play offline and never have to pvp.
"You can ignore PvP at the cost of losing access to other features" feels like a penalty to me.

quote:

I don't get why some people hate it so much. Even if you don't enjoy it (no idea how someone doesn't enjoy it but hey)

Because I enjoy exploration and goofing around with friends, and all PvP is about is having some jerk try and stop me from doing that.

The PvE side of the game is built around punishing the player for not learning from their mistakes (did you think the enemy was going to thrust instead of sweep, despite having seem them do that before? Lose a big chunk of HP) whereas the multiplayer is far more unpredictable and less balanced and I don't like the combination of the two modes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Wasabi is poo poo.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Beef and lamb are pretty poo poo for the environment in terms of energy / water / land use. Chicken isn't too bad though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Summer loving sucks.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Ghostbusters 16 wasn't great and relied way too heavily on improv. The original was nothing special either.

Tiggum posted:

The best way to see a movie at the cinema is when absolutely no one else is there. Whole place to yourself. A movie isn't a social experience anyway, you're sitting quietly in the dark, and other people can only ruin it.

Comedies are a social thing for me. I laugh a lot more if other people around me are laughing too.

If it's a serious movie, sure, I prefer to be in a big empty room.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Playing an FPS with a controller is poo poo enough with autoaim, it'd be loving awful without it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Is RDR really even that good? I didn't get the first one because I had made the switch to PC when it came out, but people act like it's the cat's blowjob (mixing metaphors here).

Yeah it's pretty great. E: it's got better writing and a more consistent tone than any of the GTAs, and doesn't just go for cheap cynical satire.

I'm guessing RDR2 will come to PC eventually like Rockstar's other recent stuff.

Doctor Spaceman has a new favorite as of 23:52 on Feb 2, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm confident that in the next version they'll put a better scratch resistant screen on it, larger battery, and probably get rid of the kick stand.

The kickstand got a weird amount of focus in the original video, it's funny.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

silence_kit posted:

Yikes, that still sounds pretty inconvenient--logging into Windows, clicking through a series of menus, and typing in hulu.com in your web browser with a controller or TV remote sounds annoying just to watch Modern Family on TV. PC software interfaces are not really designed for couch use.
You can get them to boot straight in video playing software and use a controller or remote. It takes a bit of effort to set up though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

lavaca posted:

How many people actually make that argument about anyone other than the Aztecs?

It's not the same continent but in Australia there has been a recent debate about changing the date of Australia Day from January 26th. The problem with this date is that it commemorates the arrival of the First Fleet, which marks the beginning of the British invasion of Australia.

The people against the move typically use arguments like that it's actually not an invasion because British and Australian law says so, that it wouldn't actually help the plight of Indingeous people and is just a push by left-wing cultural marxists to destabilise white Australia and (most relevant to your point) how up until the arrival of the British the Indigenous people were barbaric tribes living in the stone age so it actually worked out well for them.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Musk's views on public transport are loving idiotic and his tunnel plan in LA is literally designed to improve his personal commute.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Thank gently caress, I thought I was the only one.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

where are all the zombies going to come from then? What do you have against zombies?

Zombies made of clouds of ash taking human form would be pretty loving awesome.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Ribs are poo poo. It's like someone took a steak and decided that it was too edible and lacked enough bones.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

He's good in One Hour Photo and Insomnia.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

King of Foolians posted:

Every day I see people post on Facebook about their coffee "addiction"
Caffeine use is habit-forming and caffeine withdrawal is a real thing that a lot of people experience.

It might not meet the strict medical definition of addiction but pretending that it's completely a moral thing with no medical basis is wrong.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't like how modern superhero movies need to have ridiculously buff bodies. Why are actors eating chicken and broccoli for 7 months and doing Crossfit 5 hours a day for a dumb movie? What happened to normal looking heroes like Jason Bourne. There's no reason for Star Lord to be so buff. If he's a Harrison Ford ripoff then he should have the same physique as Harrison Ford in the 80s. He looked good but didn't have veins popping out of his arms.

There's a really interesting article from a few years back about how the "ideal" look for an action hero has changed over the years (natural in the 70s, bulky in the 80s, leaner in the 90s, super fit now), and how much pressure it puts on actors and especially stunt doubles.

4 years ago Michael B Jordan posted:

Michael B. Jordan, who got his break as The Wire’s sensitive kid Wallace and raised his profile in last year’s Fruitvale Station, knows he needs to be able to bulk up on command if he wants to break into the A-list. “You’ve gotta be ready to take off your shirt,” he says...“They want to blow you up and put you in a superhero action film. Being fit is so important. . . . The bar has been raised.”

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

sassassin posted:

Personal trainers and competent chefs don't help produce good physiques.
Yeah, they do. Stunt performers turn to drugs more often than actors because they have to be in basically the same shape as the person they're doubling for but don't have access to the same resources.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Iron Man never takes his shirt off.

He does a few times because it's a good way to show the arc reactor in his chest.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

You realise Judge Dredd was a satire not a blueprint right?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Deep Space Nine (aside from the new movies) is the only star trek I can enjoy. It still has way too much filler episodes though and every holodeck-based episode is awful.

The episode where Garak and Bashir run around in a spy spoof is fantastic.

PHUO: The Vic Fontaine episodes of DS9 are all great too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

hawowanlawow posted:

you guys really have nazis on the brain

It's 2018.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I really hate Thom Yorke's voice.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What's Fair Value on a product that has no buyers or sellers?

Who can say, I guess gun buybacks have never been implemented successfully anywhere.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm trying to tease apart "the gun reform worked" from "the buyback was a successful operation".

The gun reform worked because gun homicides and suicides have gone down since. The buyback was not a success because compliance was estimated at 20%
Estimated by who? This study (P131) puts the estimate at 40-80%, with the best sourced figures being for Victoria which had a 70% success rate in getting people to hand in registered prohibited firearms (it also picked up a significant number of unregistered guns).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Dude if you googled it, you know drat well that there's a study to support any number from -69% to +420% change in gun crimes
I googled it because the success of the program is widely accepted idea here in Australia but I wanted an actual figure with a source rather than random bullshit pulled out of my arse.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Ok don't you see the conflict of interest in allowing Australia to determine the success of Australia's gun buyback funded with Australian tax dollars in Australia?

Hahahahaha

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

MizPiz posted:

I love how the "let's just ban slavery" crowd conveniently forgets we're the largest cotton exporter in the world, and that our economy partially depends on that industry.

Or, more relevant to my country

MizPiz posted:

I love how the "let's just ban fossil fuels" crowd conveniently forgets we're the largest coal exporter in the world, and that our economy partially depends on that industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

MizPiz posted:

Also, coal today is pretty much a deader industry than slavery (which is alive and well, even in this country). If you wanted to use a real example, you should've gone with oil, which, even though it is basically a dying industry, we depend on it even more than we do the arms trade.
Coal dwarfs the oil industry here, even if you include gas. If fossil fuels were banned it'd still be an important industry because of how much of the coal is used in steel production.

I'm not sure why you call it a dead industry, even if it'd be good if a chunk of it did die.

Doctor Spaceman has a new favorite as of 05:24 on Mar 30, 2018