Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

yeah I eat rear end posted:

... unless history channel had an american pickers marathon on.

Yes. And I have to admit, because this is the thread for such confessions, I love Ancient Aliens. It mostly fills that same space as the internet for arguing with the void, but it also has what I like to call accidental education. They have discussed different things and cultures that lead me to research them more, independently, because I don't trust a word that show says but it still sounds fascinating.

Gripweed posted:

Always Sunny and Brooklyn 99 are both better than Seinfeld or Friends

Tubgoat posted:

It's Always Sunny is obviously the best.

:hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Gripweed posted:

The problem with Ancient Aliens is that they lie about everything. They'll say something like, "the stones that this temple is built out of are granite and diorite. Quarrying diorite with the tools these people had at that time is physically impossible, and the closest place diorite is found is 500 miles away" and literally every single claim is a lie.

Or when they interpret ancient texts. There'll be some three paragraph long description of an angel, and they'll do a drawing of what's being described, but the'll leave out half the mentioned features and add stuff that isn't mentioned, just so that the drawing can end up looking like a spaceship.

Oh absolutely. One of my biggest peeves with the show is how they will describe stories from ancient texts but don't actually quote the passages. I assume the show is about 80/20 made up, only accounting for the things they visually show as real and not what they say about them.

They also take incredible leaps in logic, and if you watch enough episodes they will occasionally use the same "facts" in contradictory theories between episodes. It's great entertainment.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
The obsession in creating hyper-specific subgroups (music genres, sexualities, etc) is most likely going to end up being a very bad idea.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

spit on my clit posted:

here's one to get us away from politics: canned vegetables taste better than fresh veggies

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

syscall girl posted:

I don't watch fambly guy anymore but I enjoy seeing people mad about always sunny and curb your enthusiasm

i don't think these are good role models

and rick sanchez is a terrible human being

e: :quagmire: should be klled off

:same:

But that's also why those are my favorite shows/characters; I really enjoy watching lovely people be lovely to each other and other people.

It's also why I enjoy these forums.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

syscall girl posted:

have you eaten a pear?

I'm sure this is a reference I am not getting at this moment, but I'll go with the truth for convenience: No, I do not like pears.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Ok, good, jesus, I'm not losing it. That's what I thought you were talking about.

"I don't have a bucket list because I'm not dying."
"Everybody's dying, bitch."

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
Ok, here it goes...PHUO: Coffee is overhyped. It's caffeine distribution. It's no different than soda.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
The last few years I've subscribed to the idea that ghosts (specifically) and possibly other cryptids (generally) are just brief encounters with other dimensions or universes. I don't feel like it is outside the realm of possibility, but it is still just outside of our scientific understandings. I like to hold on to there being a little mystery left in the world though.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Gripweed posted:

It's loving insane that alien conspiracy stuff hasn't come back like it was in the 90s. I guess too much of that energy was captured by Qanon

I don't think it had to come back because it never went away. It became so normalized that it's an entire industry now. The government releasing weird videos just became white noise to everyone else. But I also think a lot of energy behind any conspiracy theory eventually cools because anyone that would still care is either dead or isolated.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
Apart from Blazing Saddles, I always enjoyed The Villain with Kirk Douglas. It was like a live action Looney Tunes.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

That episode was excellent, and a spinoff in that style would be equally amazing and welcome.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

prom candy posted:

Miracle Whip is good and sometimes even preferable to real mayo depending on the sandwich vibe you're going for.

Miracle Whip for cold sandwiches and Mayo for hot sandwiches

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Wait which Forever Young are we talking about. Because yes to both.

The nuclear holocaust ditty from Alphaville? Oh man, that's a favorite of mine.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
This may be cliche, but I never cried at art until I had a child. It totally fucks up your brain chemistry and suddenly the slightest things can cause me to become very emotional.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Aramek posted:

Imo simply don't have any kinks, just be normal instead.

That's a weird kink, but just might be crazy enough to work.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I always enjoyed rereading Revelations because the whole thing is so :black101:

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
Pickle ball is the new Crossfit.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
Tom Cruise is America's Jackie Chan.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I don't care about open world, but I am done with crafting. Who's got the time? I don't even want to be leveling up a bunch of poo poo either. Just make my character more badass as I progress and let's get on with the story.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I remember once meeting a new employee when I worked in Tesco who insisted they don't like food, just the sheer act of putting food in their mouth made them feel uncomfortable and they hadn't encountered a food they actually liked.
I enjoy food, obviously (oh wait, you can't see me. I'm fat). But if I could magically go without eating, I would. I dislike how much time it takes to plan, prepare, and eat. I'm a pretty bland cook and don't really enjoy the process. I dislike the endless conversations about what to have for dinner. I have always been a very picky eater because of issues I have with textures and such that I have never been able to comfortably just "eat whatever." I envy those who can. Then sprinkle all the bullshit that comes with obesity on top, and yeah, there's a bit of an unhealthy relationship with food that I would be happy to be rid of.

Edit:
Oh poo poo! :aaaaa:

Ommin has a new favorite as of 05:06 on Nov 24, 2023

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
All this dream talk is really making me want to rewatch City of Lost Children.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

oldpainless posted:

Careful. It’s French.
More like oldFrenchless (sorry, I've never gotten to do one of those. yay)

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

5TonsOfFlax posted:

My question is, what then is CostCo?
Xbox? Bloated behemoth that tries to have everything for everyone and requires a membership.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Byzantine posted:

?

???

????????
Right?! I'm pretty sure they have that backwards.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

Don't worry, there are still plenty of other respected names that can be plundered and burned to the ground for corporations to make short term profits.
I'll sell them mine for a few of those short term profits. I'm not doing anything with it.

Gripweed posted:

Then they should have gotten new showrunners who were willing to keep the show going with beach episodes and tournament arcs until Martin finished the next book.
Which still hasn't happened. I don't think there are enough filler plots in the world to cover Martin's failure.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

doverhog posted:

Martin has failed, clearly, but it's also really clear how the people making the show needed his writing.

House of the Dragon is a really good show btw. Irrespective of GRRM failing the book series, or the failures of GoT the series.
Agree 100%. Truth is, everyone failed GoT. Every single person with creative control just gave up, got cocky, and lost interest. Pretty sure that's why there is no incentive for him to finish the books now, so the show can take all the blame for a bad ending.

House of the Dragon is excellent and shows how to successfully pace a show when it has a clearly defined ending that you are building to.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
He punches everyone in the nuts?

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Hell yeah. Their early stuff still slaps.
I saw that on their new tour they are playing Dookie and American Idiot in full. I assume that's because mid-90s kids and early 2000s kids are the only fanbases they have left (I am the former).

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yes but it's also the 30th and 20th anniversary of those, respectively, which is always a good excuse when you're a legacy act.
I did not realize that. That makes way more sense. More sense than The Smashing Pumpkins also being on the bill. Just feels like an odd pairing.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
Anyone that goes less than 75 on a highway or interstate has lost all concept of what those avenues of transit are meant for.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

thetoughestbean posted:

I like not being pulled over for reckless driving
What's reckless? That's the average speed limit around here and some places up to 80. My car rides so smooth that on a clear day with little traffic, I can hit 90 before I even feel like I'm going fast. I haven't had a speeding ticket or any other traffic violation in 25 years because I understand safety and control.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I dunno, you never get that driving? You get on a long flat stretch without much to look at but the road and then you come up on something that gives you a perspective of speed and you are going much faster than you felt but not feeling out of control or unsafe until that moment of realization.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

thetoughestbean posted:

Where’s here
Arkansas

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

so not arkansas
Around here is in the top corner near the borders of Oklahoma and Missouri that I also frequent, and yes the turnpikes are 80 in some places. Just because I live in one place doesn't mean that's the only place I drive.

alexandriao posted:

in addition driving proficiency can vary with weather, time, and route (and locale)
This is why I said "on a clear day with little traffic"; 90 is not my default and my usual reaction is "holy poo poo, I need to slow down." I was just saying that it's not always reckless driving to be going fast.

But I digress; we are on to home ec and shop class now which I agree with. I never got to take either because I was on the honors/AP path and my advisor wouldn't let me take "frivolous" courses and I would really enjoy some of those skills now.

Ommin has a new favorite as of 18:00 on Jan 22, 2024

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

thetoughestbean posted:

There are too many songs about love. We need more songs about other emotions, like being bored at work
Very first thing that popped in my head reading that too!

thetoughestbean posted:

or being anxious for no reason
And for the other one: https://youtu.be/GbmP2c6TGKc?si=2hRNMqmdnL09PZSn

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
Big Chewy Nerds are superior to both.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Rick posted:

I learned today the hard way that me not liking them is in fact a personally held unpopular opinion.
What was the "hard way"?!

Shithouse Dave posted:

Dweebs were a better candy than nerds.
I have no recollection of these even though I am old enough, but I really want to try them. They were discontinued in the 90s but were brought back to Europe in 2022.

Ommin has a new favorite as of 18:43 on Feb 12, 2024

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
Milquetoast opinion: I just noticed and do not care for the little arrow things in the forum quotes. I guess it's to minimize quotes? Any way, change is bad. Grrr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
Truth is, like everything else, woods porn and even the very concept of hard-to-find-naked-people was irrevocably ruined by the internet. There are no mysteries to solve, no treasures left to discover.