Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Bring back the Adelaide season ender. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Because COTA is a garbage-tier circuit.

c'mon now, its not bad. Give it enough years to build up a history of memorable races and it'd pass for just another good modernish track like Japan or Austria.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

Yes, leaving his job on a career-defining high note, which includes working with a proven shithead, for a number of corporate suits employed by a German business conglomerate best known for its "glossy gray" sporty businesscars, already having more money that he can spend in one lifetime, to be with his children and model-wive living a luxury life, and most importantly, spend more time with Keke "loving" Rosberg. Though choice.

:agreed:

except about the model wife bit. In the F1 paddock where Mrs Bottas and Mrs Raikkonen hang out, plus whatever woman (or quite possibly, women) Alonso is spending time with, Mrs Rosberg is going to fall short.

and Claire Williams obviously, if you know what etc etc :madmax:

DoctorGonzo posted:

This is going to drive Lewis mad. I hope he seeks help in Kanye.

This is a given.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Wirth1000 posted:

To be honest, I think it'd be really boring, awkward and tedious.

Apparently he's completely different and way more normal when he doesn't have some media dude with a microphone pointed at his face.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Mad idea: Button to Merc for a year?

Guy is basically a free agent so I expect there'd be less contractual issues since I expect his link with McLaren next year is thin at best, is good enough to sit in the other car and not bung it into a wall and has raced against Lewis before.

If he could do a halfway decent German accent he could be in with a shot. He might even take it too, if only to drive a fast car for a change where maybe a podium or win might be possible. If it's only for a year so Merc can find a "proper" long term driver, he'd be a decent choice, and if Merc really is swooning for :frog: he'd be a good stopgap until his contract runs out instead of having to fight RB over it.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

learnincurve posted:

Hell will freeze over before Jenson works with Lewis again.

Why? Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but aside from some petulance where Lewis tweeted some timing data to try to show the world why he was slower than Jenson in Belgium one year, I don't recall any tension. Certainly not in the way Lewis and Rosberg were.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Maybe? If 2017 is seen to be a transition year anyway, they might.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Kimi isn't going anywhere. Ferrari are allegedly paying him some absurd amount of money to pootle about and make Vettel look mediocre, and seems largely unaffected by the Ferrari turbulence that is upsetting Vettel. Mind you, its hard to know what Kimi really thinks because Kimi is Kimi. He could be crying salty tears every night over how Ferrari is treating him but you'd never know it.

He'll probably keep going with Ferrari until he gets bored and retires for good.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Nah in his wedding photos he almost looks like an actual human capable of emotion.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I did say "almost"

Edit: isn't he hoverhanding her in that picture?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I feel kinda bad since I totally forgot Massa was available next year if Merc wanted him.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Brothers from another mother.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

gret posted:

This will always be the best video of the Lewis and Jenson years :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUSY8RUIvf8

This was friggin fantastic. Thanks for posting it. The only way it could have been better would have been by cutting to Ron having an "Obi-Wan sensing the destruction of Alderaan" moment when they spill the oil on the pristine McLaren garage floor.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

You Am I posted:

Interesting. I wonder if there's something toxic about the Mercedes team at the moment. Strange considering their current success

Merc have made some very odd decisions in the last couple of years. I'd argue that losing Brawn was one, and this is another. I'm kind of surprised Lowe is going to Williams though. Its not as if he wouldn't be welcome at a factory team.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Norns posted:

Would you go to Ferrari or Renault?

Depends on the terms?

With next year's rule changes there's the chance that there's going to be a shuffle in competitiveness amongst the factory teams (and effectively McLaren). Ferrari might be out if Lowe wants less drama, but given where Renault is right now, they would probably give him a sweetheart deal to get that team back on a good development trajectory, and McLaren could be good for similar reasons and depending on how the new management is, might be a bit of a breath of fresh air compared to Ron.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

wicka posted:

McLaren categorically ruled out bringing Lowe back, don't expect to see any big name engineering staff added there.

I wonder why. Its so hard to gauge McLaren's true quality this year. Is the chassis/aero great but the engine poo poo? Or is it a 50/50 split in crappiness between the two? The rules change next year is going to make it difficult to tell from the outside what the best bit of the car will be and give clues where the team's strengths and weaknesses lie on the engineering and management side.

Like, if the Merc drops back into the pack next year the likely reason will be the chassis/aero. Making that kind of guess for McLaren is harder.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Powershift posted:

Maybe the car was okay but the drivers were too old.

Should've upgraded the firmware on Alonsobot?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Bottas if only because it'd be nice to see his wife in the Merc garage.

Also he's had 9 podiums with Williams in the last 3 years, including Canada this year (which is pretty good considering its been all Merc domination in that time). I was genuinely surprised when I looked it up and saw he actually had that many podiums.

If you check his results, he's actually been the best non factory driver (and done better than several RBR/Ferrari drivers) several times in the last couple of years. Arguably this last season has been his worst, with an 8th place overall, but the car clearly hasn't been as good this year (they got beaten by Force India), and he still comfortably outscored Massa.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Dec 13, 2016

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Hey! NWS tag that filth.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

There's talk that Massa might come back to Williams to do a development year. That'd be hilarious after his tearful retirement in Brazil.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

learnincurve posted:

Massa didn't actually want to retire though, his sponsor got caught up in a massive political scandal and pulled out of all sponsorship deals.

Huh. Didn't know that.

quote:

Which is the big issue here, it's if the new driver can bring as much sponsorship as Bottas, and if his money has been paid to Williams yet. Is Whirrrline worth paying Williams the difference to Toto? Williams won't give a monkeys about ability so long as they get paid.

No but they absolutely care about having a guy who is a known quantity who can help develop the car. If Merc pays enough for Bottas for Massa to make sense, then he'd be back quicksmart, especially if the only reason he decided to leave was because of money behind the scenes, rather than him actually being done with F1.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

When's the last time Di Resta actually drove an F1 car?

Also he was poo poo and whiny even when he was in F1 proper.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Norns posted:

Kimi did absolutely nothing special this year other than make vettle look stupid

That's pretty alright I guess.

He also made mad bank doing it. Dude drives around in an iconic team within the sport, gets paid mad bucks (well beyond his worth, and I say that as a Kimi fan) and makes Vettel look as average as he actually is when not driving a Neweymobile.

It's pretty good to be Kimi.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

1500quidporsche posted:

I have nothing but quality well thought out posts and this avatar was inflicted on me because of other people's jealousy and petulance.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

El Hefe posted:

Reading motorsport.com and it seems obvious Merc are gonna sign Bottas

Lewis is gonna beat him harder than he beat Heikki

Depends. In the first year, he drat well better. He knows the team, and rule changes notwithstanding, he should be a million miles ahead of the game in understanding the car. If they sign Bottas for more than 1 year, then who knows? Bottas might rally.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Norns posted:

Yeah zero chance Bottas beats Hamilton. I just hope the Mercedes isn't so loving dominate in 2017.

You never know. Not many people thought Rosberg of all people would take a title from Hamilton in the same car, but here we are. But yeah I'd expect that in 2017 it'd be all Hamilton between the two of them. Whether or not Merc is still the team to beat remains to be seen. Red Bull seems like a likely contender, and who knows McLaren might finally get all their ducks in a row.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Baron Corbyn posted:

"Become"?
"This generation's"?

What a load of poo poo. The only people who haven't admitted that he's the goat (greatest of all time) are jealous manbabies, bitter racists and Alonso fans.

And also he's not.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I disagree, Rosberg trolled Hamilton and denied him the chance to reclaim his title from him and gave the fans the best possible chance for an entertaining off season by peacing out with little notice. If you think Bottas is a boring choice (I don't), then blame Terminator Toto.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I didn't have any particular feelings for or against Massa coming back but now I'm in favour.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Khablam posted:

You were the friend in the group who won Street Fighter one time then refused any rematches and claimed you were the best, weren't you?

It was Mortal Kombat 2 and I was. :colbert:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Why did you post that and not a picture?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

GramCracker posted:

Jeez, my bad guys.

:stare:

All is forgiven.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Wirth1000 posted:

This is what I imagine every single poster in here to look like....

I can only aspire to such lush chest hair.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I got the man tits and tumor belly don lockdown though. :smith::respek::smith:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

List is garbage, it has Nico ahead of Keke.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Fo3 posted:

2) RIP Kato :(

:rip: indeed.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Human Grand Prix posted:

Although I will throw down on any of the seasons from 80-91 being better than the 00s.

Even the fairy tale 09 year?

Or even 08 for that matter, often referred to as the most exciting in history? (Though I admit I haven't seen it myself and am not a Hamilton fan).

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

EoRaptor posted:

Compared to his peers though, Sebastien Loeb wasn't a particularly good driver. His real ability is that he can mentally 'select' how aggressive he wants to drive at any given time, and stick with that without becoming tired, or distracted, or influenced by external pressure. This is a tremendous talent, but it could have been applied to any number of competitive activities with equal result.

It also made for incredibly boring races to watch, because he never did anything interesting. And he never pushed the car hard mechanically, so failures were mostly the result of engineering issues, not race stresses.

I've read this a couple of times and still don't get it.

The guy isn't faster than many of his contemporaries, but beats them to 9 world titles, more than twice as many as the next most successful WRC champion while nursing the car to prevent mechanical failure and this is somehow boring and makes him a mediocre driver compared to his peers.

What

I mean is this a Ferrari in early 00's thing where the car is so good anybody could have done it? Is that what you're saying.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Alain Post posted:

Rally sucks rear end.

Group B and early rally where you couldn't even see the track for all the idiots standing on it with cameras was good, but yeah modern rally is pretty boring to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Ok that might be an explanation.

• Locked thread