Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

OneEightHundred posted:

I don't really understand what the appeal of Kmart is even supposed to be, it's like someone decided to just make a Wal-Mart clone except with prices higher than Target.

I lost my local kmart a couple years ago so I never have to know.

However I was recently inside a fred meyers and while I didn't buy anything, I appreciate being able to sit on their nice display furniture. I also discovered rotating recliners seats, they're like an office chair but I can sleep in it. The internet never told me that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I like the big box stores that have furniture in them so I can lay down on their nice couch and pretend that I can afford nice furniture.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I hope Outback Steakhouse also dies.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

glowing-fish posted:

One of the strange things about this thread, is that I started it coming from a background of living mostly in the Pacific Northwest.

Stereotypically, Oregon and Washington are environmentally friendly, have limited sprawl, have smart growth, and are full of hipsters shopping at neighborhood boutiques, and yet they might be the last part of the country where malls and big box stores are still doing well. Like, I can't think of any malls or developments in Oregon or Washington where I have seen closed stores and empty aisles. Even Mall 205 in Portland, which is kind of mocked as such, just changed from being a social mall to a Home Depot and Target mall. There really isn't that many places in the Pacific Northwest where you see abandoned storefronts and stuff.

The Everett Mall has been skirting the edge for like the past decade. The owners defaulted on their loan in 2012, was rescued by a group of investors, and now it's back on the block. Somehow it still pulls in 5.5m a year net and keeps most of its stores open. We'll see how that changes now that its Macy's is gone.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

But then I don't get to see your legs...

and that's why they're in fact the best trend :quagmire:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I am an older millennial and I get mad when someone fucks up my order, but I remain calm and politely ask them to get me the food I actually ordered.

I can understand why a boomer would get hella upset, but they don't know about the current economy and a lot of people are forced into service jobs when they have no service skills or can't develop proper service skills, so lashing out at them doesn't help.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Lampsacus posted:

I have no doubt this series has been plugged already:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOlffr73fuM
But I just finally gave it a watch and it is fascinating. Dead malls of America - unite!

I love these when an arcade is featured. This one has silent scope and marvel vs capcom 2! And that's it. Good taste though, whoever owns Tilt.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm curious to know where all these fat people clothes micro blogs are.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
There's a kind of mini-mall that exists on a busy street in my home town that used to be a kmart but with a few additional stores attached. I don't recall what those stores used to be but kmart left a few years ago. It's been interesting seeing how things have turned out for that place. Every year there's been a lone business that takes up shop in one of the smaller places and each year they close up and someone else moves in. This year though a walgreens is moving into the corner. They must be confident because the corner building is getting a facelift to look like other walgreens in the area.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

glowing-fish posted:

I spent today working at Walgreen's. AMA.

excuse me, do you have any eclipse glasses?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

glowing-fish posted:

I'm sorry, no. I just have a pair of normal sunglasses, and they are broken.

Actual walgreens employees would've had flashbacks to august 21st.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

OneEightHundred posted:

There's an international grocery near me that took over a Circuit City and didn't bother remodeling anything, so it still has the Circuit City entrance and an area with a low ceiling and tiny lights where the TV showroom used to be, it's great.

A few months ago, I had a similar experience checking out a furniture place that was once a circuit city. Same entrance, same low ceiling where the tvs used to be, ect. It was weird but also awesome.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

there wolf posted:

The Sears I was in today was clean, well stocked, had several visible employees running registers and tidying up, and had a "now hiring" sign on the door.

I might have found a wormhole to 1996.

I don't suppose you're talking about the everett mall sears? Went there early last month looking at overpriced mattresses. I'm beginning to think corporate misplaced its phylactery.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

BrandorKP posted:

The cool kids listen to navel poetry sung by improvisational jazz singers...
https://youtu.be/HJsfaZdlRgI

cool kids should just listen to sea shanties in general.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Winco owns

Though I do go to Albertsons for a few things

I was about to make this exact post!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

You can pry my grocery store sushi out of my cold dead hands.

I don't have a grocery store nearby that sells sushi, but I do have like 3 sushi restaurants all within 3 miles of each other, and two chinese buffets that offer some sushi.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I was thinking back to the last time I stepped inside a TRU, which would've been maybe 2005 or so, they were still trying to push the Sega 32X add-on console. Without a Sega Genesis to pair it with, of course. They had like a dozen of them on an end-stand.

Now I'm thinking what are the chances my old TRU will still have some old games? Maybe not 90's era, but if they had any ps2 games laying around I'd love to sift through them.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Halloween Jack posted:

It's very weird to see how Hot Topic and Spencer's have evolved from their origins; the store full of goth/raver stuff and the store full of penis-themed dice kinda met in the middle.

Spencer's in particular also has lots of anime and gaming themed merchandise.

Presto posted:

Malls haven't been good since the arcades closed.

This is true, but I rediscovered mall food a few months ago and it turns out some of it was good enough to do a few return trips. The teriyaki place in particular, despite changing ownership and name, has kept the same recipes from 25 years ago so that really helped the nostalgia trip.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Haifisch posted:

There are no pizza rules.

Therefore, toys are pizza and pizza are toys.

FilthyImp posted:

It would look like a rotating rack full of Gift Cards, except the cards would be 8.1x11 (so you can get a nice poster) and inside would be a nice credit-card sized plastic COMMEMORATIVE SUPER RARE COLLECTIBLE card with a tear-away strip to reveal the code you can use to redeem/download it from STEAM.

///I remember getting some Half-Life megapack from Best Buy and inside the hueg box were 4-5 CDs in lame paper protectors with a Serial Key sticker slapped to the back of each.

Bethesda kind of did this with their Fallout 4 boxes. Came with one cd with about 7gb of the game on it, the rest had to be downloaded off steam.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

mandatory lesbian posted:

Look wotc is a collapsing company but I think this is beyond the scope of retail in general

I haven't heard about wizards of the coast collapsing, so please explain.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Star Man posted:

Wizards did have retail stores at one point. I went to one once when visiting family in Phoenix in 2000.

Welp that's my story.

I had my 18th birthday party at the wotc gaming center in seattle.

That place pretty much had everything my nerd heart wanted. Arcade, card/pnp gaming tables, LAN, and battletech pods.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
So not only did my local TRU close, but my nearby Albertsons also.

The difference is, the local Albertsons went out of their way to help everyone find new jobs.

I feel pretty bad for the one person I know who worked at the local TRU, she was very emotionally attached to the company. She cried after the doors closed for the last time. Worse, she got roped into working at the TRU one town over until that closes in a few weeks and relive the pain.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

DrNutt posted:

Ya'll can smarm all you want about this poo poo but it's actually really loving gross that we essentially allow giant corporations to target children and instill brand loyalty as soon as they leave the crib, and TRU was a particularly poo poo example of that sort of thing.

kids don't give a poo poo about brand loyalty, only that there are places with toys.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

boner confessor posted:

obesity rates would plummet overnight if people had to fight bees every time they wanted to drink something sweetened

I don't think you understand how easy it is to rob from a beehive. We've been doing it with minimal stinging since ancient egyptian times.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Vegetable posted:

Sandwiches are ubiquitous, why do you have to eat from a lovely chain instead of a local place

I had a local place that made great sandwiches, especially philly cheesesteaks. Despite making great food overall, the owner wasn't happy spending a shitload of time for what amounted to small pay. Over time some of her ingredients got worse and after about 4 years she gave up the restaurant.

I did manage to find another local restaurant that makes sandwiches almost as good, but they're more expensive.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
et tu, cucke?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
My hot take: smartphones are a vector for the modern day version of Tiger Electronics.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Maybe I'm an outlier here but I definitely manage to destroy levis. They always end up tearing at the crotch or thighs. They do last at least a few years though, and I don't buy other brands of denim for a reason

Same here, except it doesn't matter which brand I buy. I've had levis, dickies and carhartts all rip after 3-4 years. Wranglers rip after 2 years, or 6 months for their cargo pants.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
If only Discovery Zone has made their venues outside.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Cicero posted:

Obviously Amazon can afford it, but $15/hour probably would be unreasonably high in some cheap/rural parts of America for other types of businesses. A federal law that tied minimum wages to something like cost of living for a given county/region would make more sense imo.

This would also have the side effect of "encouraging" people to be less NIMBY assholes, since insane housing prices would also mean really high minimum wages.

Keep in mind that washington state passed a $13.50 minimum (gradual, it's 11.50 right now, 12.00 next year, then 13.50 in 2020) and the cheap/rural parts of the state have yet to show any sign of poo poo hitting the fan for them.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I just want mall arcades to make a comeback :sigh:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I saw an old episode of Law & Order a while back where the detectives visited a computer shop and I just about died from nostalgia.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

OneEightHundred posted:

They've been doing some periodic runs of it lately in response to some retro enthusiasm. There's some irony in that the retro enthusiasm exists in large part because the product failed.

Hope that means the Archburger comes back. That was McDonalds only burger I ever liked and I wasn't even an adult when it debuted.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

RandomPauI posted:

My feet are 4e, my option for new shoes that cost under $50 is limited to ~$50 New Balances when they go on sale.

:same:

Will they last longer than New Balance? Bought a pair almost a year ago and the inside is worn out pretty bad, but still holding together.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I have an original 1999 Everquest manual and its hilarious -- they tried to include game world maps and specific information for an MMO that were out of date by the time the game launched, let alone two or (20!) years later

This, but also Ultima Online.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

pseudanonymous posted:

Thinking about old games just makes me badly want sequels to Alpha Centauri and Master of Magic.

I feel like the industry is slowly getting the message as young adults from the early oughts are now nearing middle age. In combination with the current middle aged, there's a lot of demand for old games to see a sequel.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

suck my woke dick posted:

hot take: copyright protections should be seriously weakened

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Blut posted:

Going from $60 an hour ($2400+ a week, $125k a year) to $40 an hour ($1600+ a week, $83k a year) as someone in their mid/late 20s is not a reasonable life complaint. The problem there is not low wages, they're both comparatively extremely high. The problem is the $200k of college debt.

Fix the college system, pay pharmacists less, charge poor people less for their drugs. Everyone wins.

Did you have a fishing accident or is that a trickle-down economics baited hook in your cheek?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

There is a McDonalds a block from my house and the only reason I don't eat there all the time is because their value menu is a joke and only has a couple things on it. 80% of the options are bullshit drinks or other stuff that you wouldn't go to McDonald's for anyway.

The reason for this is because my city (Seattle) has a super high minimum wage so franchise operators can't offer these deals and stay afloat.

If you drive ten minutes south to a neighboring city you can get 2000 calories for $5 no problem.

Are we back on topic yet?

The state minimum is $12.00 an hour, about to be $13.50 an hour next year. It is very unlikely that the minimum wage is the factor you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
All those employees getting paid to do nothing.