Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

What do you mean you don't accept Regisbucks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Bruceski posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XBOorGPE-Q
Oregon beaches are fun. My family used to go every Thanksgiving and listen to the storms shake the building. The kind of rain that's practically a sandblaster.

My favorite part is watching people have their kites and umbrellas snatched away and torn apart by God.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

:goonsay: The classic FF Sahagin is a fish-person, and in FF14 they are one of the beastmen tribes. The four-legged sahagin of this game use the same model as elbsts from 14, which are the mounts of the Sahagin people.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The project existed for 10 years, and I think when it finally started to take form as a game they were no longer willing to spend any more time second-guessing decisions or changing direction. So they just pushed out what they ended up with, and a lot of things didn't get fully polished or thought out.

Gruckles fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 25, 2017

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

I'm trying to give this game the benefit of the doubt. It probably is more enjoyable if you're paying attention to the plot and keeping a regular pace and sober. Maybe the mechanics flow better and the story follows more logically if you're putting effort into engaging with them. Maybe.

Even if you are paying attention to the background info from the loading screens, news broadcasts, npc banter, etc the story has a serious issue with important things happening offscreen and/or not being explained. And the issue continually increases in severity after getting on the boat.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The royal family has magic powers granted by The Crystal, and the King has the ability to divvy out some lesser powers to people, like storing their weapons in magic space and being healed by energy drinks they bought out of the back of a truck.
The Ring is the tool used to channel the full strength of The Crystal, and can only be used by people chosen by it(the royal family), and Noctis is being a baby about wearing it right now.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

I get the feeling there must be a deleted scene where Noctis gets Ignis injured by screwing up somehow. Then it'd explain why everyone's all cold toward him, and why Gladiolus is suddenly all concerned about Noctis taking his job seriously, and why it seems to be up to Ignis to forgive him.

The Episode Ignis DLC shows what exactly happened to him. But Gladio being an rear end about it is just him being like "God how can be so upset about your stupid dead fiance, when our mutual best friend Ignis is BLIND"

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Bruceski posted:

I know they were apparently sent by the Empire, but in a world where demons come out in the darkness why would you even BUILD a tunnel? At what point does that become a better option than going around?

The diners and small towns are protected from not being wiped out over night by a few flood lights, and you can get high power headlights for your car that repel the demons.
So presumably with the amount of lights lining the train tunnel it's normally safe, and they probably forgot to include a part where Ardyn shuts the power off leaving Noctis "in the dark."

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I don't think the game has said where the end goal on the train ride is yet, but Noctis wanted to get off at Tenebrae to visit Luna's old home and Gladio told him "gently caress off, we ain't stopping just for your pity party"

Then the empire and demons attacked so they had to get off at Tenebrae anyway to evacuate the other passengers, also it's on fire. As for Prompto they've basically just accepted that even if they went back to where he fell off, Ardyn probably already whisked him away somewhere else to be as annoying and trickstery as possible.

Gruckles fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 23, 2018

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Cerebral Bore posted:

That doesn't make much sense either. From Prompto's perspective Noctis just went berserk all of a sudden and tried to attack him only to pratfall and get knocked out, so are we supposed to believe that he just ran off after something like that? The guy's an idiot, yes, but you'd think he'd not just abandon the guy he's supposedly sworn to protect.

Or for that matter, are we supposed to believe that Chancellor Hobo was fighting his own dudes at your side? It's not like this stuff could be actual shapeshifting since you'd think Prompto would have noticed if he just got polymorphed, so that sort of thing would likely raise a few eyebrows among any non-hypnotized observers. I guess it could just be the empire not caring about their own troops, but still.

Remember that all the empire's troops are demon-powered robots. It wouldn't be too weird for Ardyn to not care at all about destroying a few while putting on his "confuse the gently caress out of Noctis" routine.

The devs very well may have just not planned the sequence of events right though.

Gruckles fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 24, 2018

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Zoe posted:

So Ravus is on our side now? I have no idea what's going on. (that's not unusual for these updates)

I can't remember ever seeing anything said about a glaive before the old lady mentioned it but now out of nowhere Gladiolus and Blindy McBritish are bringing it up on their own like it's been a goal all along.
Ravus carrying Noct's dad's sword around has actually been brought up a few times before. For some reason they've just never been concerned about taking it from him any of the times he's been in the same area as them before now. I think he's technically been on the good guy's side, and acting as the emperor's lapdog so he could be in a position to stay close to Luna and help with the "overthrow the empire with the power of gods" plan, but also actively dislike's Noctis and thinks he's unworthy brat. I don't know, all his story happens mostly offscreen or in the movie.

NikkolasKing posted:

So the Empire has been making demons and the Empire's capital is overrun by demons? Is that right?

Fantasy villains do seem to love messing with evil otherworldly powers that ought never to be messed with, and then they're always surprised when things go sour.
They've been capturing demons, experimenting on them in their lab, and using them to make their "magitek" walking suits of armor.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

So this solo Noct sequence they just reached is the section of the game that got a few changes in a patch.

1. Added the ability to sprint during it whereas the original release made you slow jog through all the corridors as you searched for doors and switches.
2. Sped up the cast time of the ring's spells so you don't waste as much time every time a goblin pops out at you.
3. Added an alternative version of the chapter where you play through Gladio's path and it's much shorter. In case you want to skip the Noctis version entirely, or if you want some of the otherwise off-screen story stuff to actually be shown.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Kuvo posted:

We might be recording again Soon™. Can someone give us a hopefully spoiler free heads up on the point of no return w/r/t sidequest stuff?
Whoever told you there was a point of no return was trolling you into spending 30 episodes trying to do the level 45+ dungeons at level 20.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Zenostein posted:

There was that dick marchinko game, I don't think all the swearing helped it much.

The theme song made entirely of his swearing and insulting one liners was pure art.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The only downside of accidentally skipping Noctis's section is not getting the tutorial on all of your OP magic ring's functions.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Prompto and Ignis DLCs explain more stuff relating to the demons.
The main game lab notes basically tell you that the smoke effect that comes off the demons is some kind of airborne mutagenic particle that's killed by light but also somehow blocks light in high enough densities, and turns humans into more demons.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I think some of the bestiary entries for the demons you find in the dungeons of the first half of the game actually just tell you early that they're miners transformed into goblins or whatever.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The soldiers being nothing but walking suits of armor is brought up the first time they appear. Hence the MT nickname both being short for "Magitek Trooper" and being a homophone of "Empty".

Then Aranea revealed they actually had demons inside them.

Now they've revealed that those same demons are people. The implications of this is explored in DLC, and the main game's handling of it is baffling brief.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

You can accidentally skip the part where you murder emporer daemon dude? Are you for real?

To be fair, if you played the Noctis route you wouldn't even know for sure that demon you killed was the emperor, and the ability to skip that section with the patched in 20 minute Gladio version is because at release everyone complained about the Noctis route being terrible to play through. :v:
There is a chapter select on the title screen that lets you do both if you want, and the game gives a message about doing this at the start of the chapter.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

He has a robot arm, and they make a point of saying even though he's been carrying the sword around he never used it.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

"Guys I'm a clone with a barcode on my wrist who was meant to be turned into a demon and stuffed into a suit of armor and used as cannon fodder. That's what those 'robots' we've been slaughtering by the dozen are, by the way"
"haha who cares dude"

Final Fantasy 15

e: I'm extremely sad you resorted to using the dumb regular weapons again instead of just using the god magic ring that can instant-kill almost everything, including the super boss.

Gruckles fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 13, 2018

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Night10194 posted:

I want to know why the Chancellor of the Empire dresses like a hobo.

Look forward to finding out in Episode Ardyn, coming in 2018.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Danaru posted:

wait actually yeah if he's a magitek android why DOES he suck so loving much?

He's not a magitek android. He's a test tube baby that got stolen from the lab before they could infect him with demon juice, stuff him in a suit of armor, and pass him off as a robot.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Grizzwold posted:

I'd prefer it if instead of being stolen Prompto was just tossed because he turned out too lovely to be a super-soldier. He doesn't have super strength or regeneration or any cool poo poo. Like, why not just have him be a regular guy?

To introduce drama that's promptly ignored and disregarded.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

He's not even chipped. He just has a barcode tattoo on his wrist. It's covered up in his default and casual outfits, but visible with his uniform(no jacket) one.

Now as for why the empire's security is as insecure as scanning easily reproduced barcodes that don't even have clearance revoked from ones that have gone MIA almost 2 decades ago. Well uhh...

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Lunethex posted:

wtf

You get ultimate phenomenal cosmic power and you just get back to get owned hard by massed enemies? Do you really have to walk 2 and a half miles to the objective?

If a normal player was grinding and doing everything is this still hard as hell?

Dragon's Dogma did post-game apocalypse better.

If they had left the ring equipped they could aoe-instant kill everything with it. But they accidentally skipped the section of the game that teaches you to use it, so they didn't realize that and equipped the katana that kills yourself instead.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Gorilla Salad posted:

Oops, double post.

Is there a DLC or anything to explain how Noct got to the prison island, or how the boat ended up there despite the fact that the last time we saw read about it, it was moored off the Empire's coast?

Also, how did the person who drove the boat there get back to shore?

Well the multiplayer DLC takes place during the World of Ruin timeskip. So I wouldn't be surprised if they threw an explanation for that somewhere in its story, but I never touched it beyond the first quest.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

It's daemon grass that umbrasynthesizes.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Gorilla Salad posted:

Nah, I'm going to call bullshit on them for that.

I mean, look at this thing:

I've worn leg braces, and that's a leg brace.

Dad had a leg brace, but Noctis's version just has the fancy kneepad and not the brace parts.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Sydin posted:

What was Ardyn's deal even? Something about being in line for the throne but then he absorbed too many demons and went crazy and now he hates Noctis because he got the boot from the royal family? I didn't quite get whether him going insane got him exiled, or the other way around. Or if that's even what happened at all.

He had a nice hat, though.

He's Noctis's great-great-great-uncle, and was the first one to be chosen by the Gods to be start of the royal bloodline that would gain their power and cleanse the world of darkness.
He used his power to absorb the demon-plague into his own body, curing the people who had been infected by it and becoming immortal.
Then the Gods said "No we don't want you to do that. You're supposed to be killing them, and then after many generations The Chosen King will power up with all the souls of his ancestors and kill himself to eradicate the darkness. Your brother is down with the program so he's King now instead."
He became spiteful and waited for this Chosen King, Noctis, to be born so he could gently caress up the Gods' plan at its climax.

I'm looking forward to being disappointed by this year's batch of DLC that's supposed to include a "Episode: Ardyn" which they've described as "An alternate finale in which the characters challenge their fates to achieve the ideal future they envisioned" and has an amazing piece of promo art.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

Say, were those corpses in the throne room characters we knew? Or did Ardyn just think some bodies would really boost the Feng Shui?

They're characters from the movie I think.

goatface posted:

How does the post-game even work? Does Dogtor Who do travel to and from the afterlife as well as in time and space?

Marks your pre-final boss save as cleared,unlocking a few sidequests. The canon of dog taking you back in time is strange. Your party members don't react to it even though they retain outfits and skills gained in the second half of the game. So you'd think its meant to just be taken as a game mechanic, but with Talcott's cactuar figurines there's one you can get for him in not-be nice and the only way you can get it back to him is with timedog. His reaction to turning it in is "how did you get this when you haven't gone on the boat yet!?"

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Bocc Kob posted:

B-but Prompto fell off the train in a forest. :psyduck:

time hobo

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

goatface posted:

Why didn't fuckboy bring a better gun with him when he came back?

Completing the character episodes unlocks new weapons to use in the main game.
Also the sphere grid had a Character Swap ability patched in that lets you take control of the other party members to use their DLC movesets, including bazookas and sniper rifles.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

EagerSleeper posted:

Honestly that design decision is the boldest thing this incredibly milquetoast anime game has done. In anime it would probably be a big deal for a character to overcome how they were as a child versus how they are in the present, but like everything else in this game, it is only a mere suggestion of a writing archetype, not actual substance. And besides lmao kids are normally chunky anyway, that's nothing special or dramatic but the game might try and paint it like it is.

There's an anime ova about him as a fat middle schooler that picks up jogging because he wants to lose weight and become pretty so Luna will like him.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I want her DLC.

Good news it's going to be the first episode released in the second batch of DLC.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Bocc Kob posted:

Time Dog has been more key to the story than Luna's been. :argh:

I mean, she is key to the story. They just didn't bother explaining or showing any of the story within the initially released game.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The project existed for 10 years, but was not actually being worked on that entire time and was certainly scrapped and restarted with different people a couple times.
Stuff like bringing your car with you after leaving the first continent, but then the 2nd continent exists only as 1 city that's promptly blown up, and the 3rd continent just being a train that takes you between a couple places on a huge map, makes it pretty clear that once the game was actually in development they were rushed to put out what they had as soon as there was a functional game with a beginning and end. "That's good enough we can't waste any more time on expanding or adding depth to any ideas. The shareholders and fans keep asking us when Versus 13 is coming out. Also we're taking a bunch of your budget and story to make a feature film to promote it."

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

topiKal posted:

Nah we decided we would be done after completing whatever DLC is already out whenever we finished it. Also I'm not paying any more money for this game, I already feel bad enough about buying that stupid season pass.

The Ignis DLC came out back in December and was part of the season pass you bought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

It didn't automatically download from the psn store/library.

• Locked thread