Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Aryu Kiddimeh posted:

We will assume that this poll has a margin of error of 8 since there were 40 votes total and only 32 registered for Washington, the one true core, center, location, and heart of the PNW. Now I'd like everyone to keep in mind, that there term under discussion here is "the Pacific Northwest" not just simply the 'Northwest,' I have a feeling that putting these two terms side by side and contemplating what the difference could or should be in lexicographical meaning will clear up any confusion among unfortunate souls that mistakenly and naively include Idaho in a misguided attempt to appear relevant and knowledgeable pertaining the subjects at hand, when it is quite simply clear to everybody that they have never set foot near the PNW nor a map nor globe nor institute of higher learning for that matter.

To be blunt, Idaho is the PNW's backyard, where you hide all your shameful 'hobby' projects. To deny us our status as a PNW state is to deny yourselves. Unless you're going to deny everyone east of the mountains (condemning Pullman/Spokane/Moscow/Coeur d'alene and all the lesser cities (loving Clarkston)) citizenship in Cascadia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Solkanar512 posted:

Why is diversity only ever measured as black (maybe Hispanic or Native American thrown in once in a while) vs white dominance? Why are Asian and Pacific Islander groups always left out? When I think about the people I work with or spend time with, there are a lot of folks in those specific groups (both blue and white collar) who never seem to count when it comes to issues of racial disparity.

Why is that?

Slavery, mostly. We didn't fight a war over the right to keep Samoans enslaved.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Solkanar512 posted:

gently caress off with the insinuations. People here complained about the inability to openly talk about race, and the moment the experiences of another group were asked about, you open with this? Come on.

I just think it's crap that folks like you seem to completely ignore and erase the experiences of major minority groups in the PNW by completely ignoring their existence.

Yeah, I mean who gives a poo poo about the railroads or internment camps, right? I'm sure there's a great deal more but like I said, these experiences aren't really being discussed.

If you want to talk about internment camps, feel free. Or we could talk about reservations, sovereignty, whatever. Nobody is stopping you at all, but concern trolling with 'Why do we always talk about this minority instead of this other minority' (without, let it be noted talking about the other minority beyond using them as a convenient way to stop the current conversation) is weak sauce.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

coyo7e posted:

Donuts are bad. Deep fried sugar is bad for you and it doesn't really taste very good either

You aren't a real person, and your creator should be shamed that their chatbot failed this badly in the wild.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Dudes been on three continents and still mostly lives on the Internet. :sad:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Shifty Nipples posted:

What are you eating if your stool has three legs in it

Frogs, ducks, and spiders.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

anthonypants posted:

All Cops Are Bastards

You can still love them though.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

George posted:

If you're convinced that you're talking to a "good cop" (and you wanting to gently caress her doesn't count, that's unconscionable) the only correct way to make them feel is "like doing something about the bad ones". We need help from them, and they knew the job of protecting us was dangerous even if they didn't anticipate it would mean from their coworkers.

Wanting to sleep with a cop isn't unconscionable unless you've de-humanized cops so much they're not people.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Jack2142 posted:

Can we just pick one PNW thread to use?

Or is this a commentary on the deep divide between Seattle/Portland and everyone else?

We did, glowing fish can have his thread if he wants.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

anthonypants posted:

There has FINALLY been an update to Michael Strickland's case:

he's been convicted

Huh, that really flew under the radar. Hope he gets a harsh sentence, what with lying about being menaced.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

White people who kill other white people aren't getting away with poo poo though. If black bloc or others show up, the redhats will back down.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Doorknob Slobber posted:

their permit says 500-1000 people, but I'll be surprised if there are twenty MAGAs, and the time/place of the event is already being posted all over antifa and anarchist website for the area. I stand by saying this is how the civil war starts. Our politicians are big babies who can't do poo poo, but if ignorant right wing gun nuts start getting trigger happy, it can only go on so long before both groups go to these things with guns. (if things continue the way they are.)

The police will come down really hard on the redhats if they're dumb enough to draw. All antifa has to do is show up and take pictures and the redhats will quickly stop showing up. The real question is if antifa can police their own enough not to draw first blood.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

My butt. (Also the love police have for their own ability to use excessive force and the denial of that ability to civilians.)

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Doorknob Slobber posted:

The 'militia' and 'private security' parts worry me a bit, but we'll see I guess. Debating whether to go in street medic or camera mode to this one. Kind of want to put faces to some of these right wing militia and private security idiots

Cameras will scare them way more than medics. Plus, they'll inevitably overreact and pull out a piece. At which point the cops will arrest them.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

RuanGacho posted:

From what i understand aiming a firearm at someone else outside of law enforcement is a crime in Washington so this isnt exactly a stand your ground scenario unless you're a student at UW apparently.

It's a crime basically everywhere in PNW (even Idaho) to brandish a weapon, which means the instant one of these assholes pulls a gun the cops will move on them. Mostly because the chucklefuck with the gun is an immediate danger to the cop, admittedly.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Yo, dude who was losing his mind about people arguing over fares, here's a life hack: Next time someone does that, just pay their fare. Bus starts moving, you've made a bunch of days better, and if everyone starts doing it the odds that you'll have to do it more than once or twice a year are low.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

got any sevens posted:

Relax and smoke a bowl before trump sends the dea into Seattle.

Donald Trump doesn't know where the PNW is. Seriously, the time he showed up in Washington state he thought he'd been kidnapped.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

coyo7e posted:

Well I was about to go to bed but here's another thing:
http://koin.com/2017/03/09/hate-crime-suspect-arab-you-need-to-leave/

THIS prizewinner saw a "Saddam Hussein looking guy"

Kill all dudes with buzzcuts, God will know his own and that'll eliminate the majority of racists right there. Bad haircuts and racism go together much to well.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Accretionist posted:

I used to be a security guard. I've talked my way through situations where police have killed for less and I am an anxiety-prone nerd.

Same. It's insane how easy it is to de-escalate a situation when you don't have a weapon as a crutch to fall back on.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

anthonypants posted:

Why do you believe one corporate advertisement in the form of milquetoast outreach targeted at young persons is different from the other?

Tangible goods? I mean, the bikes are useful if garish. A Pepsi is just insulting.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Liberals will always sell out the left to move further right, because in the end they're more concerned with greasing the wheels of capitalism and respectability politics than helping people.

Democracy is just running from the growling wolf into the jaws of the smiling fox.

I can take a fox, wolves hunt in packs and eat foxes as well so maybe me and the fox can work a deal. I feel like your metaphor needs some work.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Solkanar512 posted:

So what in the gently caress is going on here? The last thing I want to do is point to someone who is accusing someone in power of sexual assault or rape of making it all up, but given this and previous bad behavior of the lawyer in question, the whole thing feels sketchy as gently caress. You just don't see these sorts of shenanigans with other prominent cases, such as the Cosby case going on now.

Dude probably (justifiably) believes he'll come across better on the stand if he's clean and sober. The mayor absolutely did it, no reason to drop out otherwise.

Relevant Tangent fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 19, 2017

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

therobit posted:

Yes, you do sound like 17 year old with a brand new license so it could be a lack of driving experience.

No seventeen year old has ever been excited about going the speed limit.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

therobit posted:

What about the eastern half of the state where they pronounce it that way?

A slur on Eastern Washingtonians, who've already suffered enough.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Idiots do it, but every person I've ever known who was from the PNW was quick to correct them when they did so. Unless it was like their Grandparents or something, nobody is going to make Grandma feel dumb about not knowing how to pronounce something.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

George posted:

I think Rehm finally retired and I haven't listened to enough of the new host but I'm afraid.

He's too refined, not a pit-fighter like Diane.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Make it 100%, Idaho and the reservations need the money.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Steve Jorbs posted:

I don't fully understand this latch on to Nazi ideology given America has it's own culture of racial oppression and genocide to subscribe to.

Racists are lazy af, using someone else's ideology is par for the course.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Thanatosian posted:

As a progressive, I think it's something we should definitely talk about. We're getting hosed over at a national level because of systemic obstacles, and we're not going to see any change in that unless we start leveraging what few options we have, secession being one of them.

You can't secede and if you were somehow able to you'd immediately have to go to war with Oregon and Idaho. California would crush whoever was left. Fix the boat, because there isn't another one to flee to.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

You'll trade rule from DC for rule by California. You'll also have unfriendly neighbors on every side and domestic rebellion. Good luck maintaining the PNW attitude when you have to have a standing army.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The Canadian border isn't going to be open to a seceded Washington state. They need the US (what's left) happy with them way more than they need you. Whoever burned down the Pullman Planned Parenthood is a domestic terrorist, but instead of the FBI you'll have the vast resources of the State Police trying to catch them. Idaho will turn the Columbia black strictly out of spite. You think Oregon wouldn't put up a border checkpoint specifically to gently caress everyone in Vancouver? You'd be a pariah state.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

It's not progressive to give up because politics is hard and you're tired so you're looking for an easy way out.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Peachfart posted:

lol at the guy who wasn't born in the PNW that wants to succeed from the USA.
Go back home and advocate your dumb policies there.

I didn't know he was a transplant. That explains a lot of the ignorance.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I'm sure the (insanely white) country of Cascadia will be able to meet all requirements of the current agreements with the many sovereign nations that will be within it's borders.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

ATP_Power posted:

Is anyone seriously debating the idea of an independent Pacific Northwest as something that will happen through some kind of vote in our lifetimes?

I thought it was a joke, but the dude tripled down pretty hard on using the threat of secession as a bargaining chip. Either way, making GBS threads on the idea that dissolution of common bonds is progressive seemed like a good use of time.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I doubt that if I moved to Alabama and started talking about how special the culture was, how it wasn't like the rest of America, and really needed to be it's own state you'd meet that will anything but (wholly justified) derision.

As a response to your edit, the attitude people in the PNW have towards some outsiders is explicitly one of the reasons that they shouldn't be able to set immigration policies. Also, you seem really angry about the welcome you got vs the welcome you perceive refugees/immigrants to have gotten?

Also also, passive-agressiveness is an artform in the PNW.

Relevant Tangent fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 3, 2017

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

One of the dudes talking about secession. My point with the transplant comment is there are any number of not-immediately-obvious issues that people who aren't from the area don't know about. Largely though, it was a joke. I'm sorry you felt put down by it.

Relevant Tangent fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 3, 2017

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

George posted:

I've tried to be more specific lately about resenting white California transplants; I think some use it as code for Mexicans.

When it first came into use it was directed at the Californian police retirees who left California because it was too "multicultural". Overt racists as opposed to people who'd never had to decide whether they were racist or not because they only saw minorities on TV.

Relevant Tangent fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 3, 2017

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

That was a cool video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

ElCondemn posted:

Sure, in theory it's a reasonable idea, but how long will the average low income household be waiting before the death vans show up for them? White suburbia will probably be getting purged left and right while minorities get ignored yet again.

Every year kill the richest 1%.