Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Henker posted:

Yeah wasn't Liefeld's version basically edgy 90s Deathstroke ripoff with zero sense of irony?
"Edgy 90s muscleman with guns and swords and zero sense of irony" basically describes every male Rob Liefeld has ever drawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Since when has not knowing poo poo ever stopped the Internet?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

How has a conversation about product placement gone this long without Torque you shameful shameful people?

https://youtu.be/vBCeFJ66oRM

E: ok so I missed it I'm on a phone alright jeez
Looks like I'm the shameful one

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Dicky mouse posted:

since we going over the movies that scared us as children.

No one saw howard the duck?

That was literally either the first or second film I remember going to see in a theater. I never got the chance to be scared by it because my mom dragged us out at the first sight of duck boobs.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

yeah i'm genuinely surprised by how well Great Wall is doing. It's still packing screens here and I've read chinese-speaking friends praise the movie for doing something "as good as LOTR."

Wait Zhang Yimou finally remembered how to make a good movie?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

don't be ridiculous

a man can dream

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

So is this or Baywatch gonna be the better "Greenlighted because of 21 Jump Street" movie?
Well since Baywatch doesn't seem as scared of gays I'm gonna go with Baywatch.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I know why this got greenlighted, but ugh the book was so bad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTUUoQ3FRLE
Also, the trailer spoils the ending lol
Didn't that film come out months ago?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Henker posted:

Is Jai Courtney really that awful? Honestly I've only seen him in two things: Spartacus where he was fine, and Suicide Squad where he was the least bad thing about that hot dogshit of a movie.

Watch A Good Day to Die Hard and have your mind changed.

Or alternatively, don't watch that movie because it was genuinely astonishingly terrible.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Ammanas posted:

The US Netflix selection is total garbage with a few good movies that you and everyone else has seen a half dozen times already
Hahahahahaha you'd poo poo purple if you saw the anemic garbage masquerading as Taiwan's Netflix library then.

otoh our internet is fast, cheap, and uncapped so suck on that one plebs

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

So does Danneberg do a cartoonishly American-accented voice for Schwarzenegger in German or what?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

/\ /\ /\ What the gently caress?

I don't have any stories as good as yours, but I do know that Hong Kong films were often shot wild, with no sound at all, and everything was done later. There was a particular actor, Danny Lee (who you might remember as the cop from 'The Killer') who spent first 10 or 15 years of his career without any audience hearing his voice, as it was deemed too high pitched.
I def. remember some of the big hype around Hitman back in 1998 being "holy poo poo Jet Li isn't being dubbed for this drat have you heard what he actually sounds like?" IIRC it was a combination of his Cantonese not being very good and his voice being too wussy.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

got any sevens posted:

Why not just use subs? That's what I prefer, so I hear the real voice and the original actor's inflection during a scene.
I prefer subs myself, but they have their own problems too. I've translated some subtitles for a few older Chinese-language movies, and sometimes it's a real struggle to fit the entirety of what's being communicated into the tiny-rear end amount of space and time available. It's probably less of a problem where the languages are more closely related, but even so.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

Either way, he was a huge dick about it so he could really never been the hero.
Counterpoint: 24 James Bond movies.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

All those promotional pictures and video they made to show it was the 80s just made me wish Apocalypse had been a normal 80s teen comedy with mutants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kniQrk9jw0
Jubilee's in that PSA more than the actual movie.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

So it's OK for all those Michael Bay movies and whatnot to give sloppy blowjobs to the US government and military, but it's a travesty the moment it's another country instead?

lolling forever

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

basic hitler posted:

To be fair i dont think the wachowskis can make any more good matrix movies or maybe even any good content at all based on like 2/3 of cloud atlas, all of Jupiter ascending, and sens8

And two Matrix movies.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Keanu Reeves should never do sequels to his own movies - and I'm going to stretch that to reboots preemptively - because they're always worse than the originals.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

davidspackage posted:

What kind of abstained darkness must a man live in to see two beautiful actresses make out and feel only rage?

Seriously though, I can't understand what makes you genuinely hate women like this.
Why do those two get to make out with each other and I have to resort to deception and/or pharmaceuticals just to get a woman to accidentally brush up against my pangus?????

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Counterpoint, Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey

feedmyleg posted:

Also John Wick 2.
Both good, both inferior to their predecessors.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Hahaha Unforgiven? More like No Fucks Given

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The real solution is that the last two Matrix movies are bad movies.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

kiimo posted:

Cliff Curtis can be anything he wants.
Except Maori. Then they get Ben Kingsley instead.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Sometimes I wonder if casting people in the US have ever seen a non-white person that wasn't someone they'd hired for manual labor.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

dirksteadfast posted:

Was there ever anything in those leaked Sony emails that showed producers saying things like "Make sure the lead is white. People won't go see movies about any brownies or chinks."? It seems like notes like that would be fairly common.
Why would they pass around emails telling each other what they already know? We don't live in an Aaron Sorkin script.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i haven't watched most of the transformers movies, why did they make optimus prime a bad guy in them?
Optimus Prime is a better Captain America than Captain America.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

What really twists the knife is, last I checked, the original is unplayable on PC due to GFWL going down.
No it's absolutely still playable, which i know having done so a couple of months ago.

it also still kind of rules.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Not even joking, but didn't we already all actually know this Brett Ratner poo poo? Like wasn't this already public knowledge years ago? Not like "duh Kevin Spacey is gay," like actual accusations and poo poo.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

pospysyl posted:

The parts of Mummy 3 that are a Jet Li/Michelle Yeoh kung fu movie are good. The parts of Mummy 3 that are a "The Mummy" movie are bad.
You forgot the other good part:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTE6S6x8ixA&t=91s

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The ideal MGS movie would just be a slow, thoughtful character piece about a veteran dealing with the trauma of war, like if Rambo got therapy in the first movie instead of getting poo poo on, with absolutely zero espionage or violence.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DCEUleaks/comments/7dob2k/resetera_insider_leaks_snyder_original_cut_details/

It should be noted that this isn't 100% verified but the eye test kinda bears it out.
That list reads like an itemized breakdown of everything people who dislike Whedon's movies hate about them and everything that people who dislike Snyder's movies hate about them.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

It never stopped being 1997 for Todd McFarlane, did it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Guarantee the reviews for Alita will be terrible and it'll do mediocre box office, because the narrative is already set that it's trash and no one bothers to wait and actually see movies before coming to firm and unshakeable stances on them.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

Yeah, that.. creepy as hell look on Alita has kinda put me off the movie already if that's going to be the final product, and I imagine I'm not alone. Uncanny valley CGI has sunk promising movies and this looks like it's immediately going to turn people off assuming the filmmakers are incompetent and it's too violent to pass as a kids' movie. It's just bad design, and trying to explain that away as being on purpose isn't helping, because we still have to look at it.

Trailer hasn't even been out a day and already the takes are piping.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Are we absolutely positively sure rpo isn't a satire? Maybe NYT et al. thought it was a satire.
only if the entire "only 80s kids will remember this" listicle genre is some elaborate work of satire because they are functionally indistinguishable from rpo

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I disliked Scott Pilgrim because it was a little too twee for me, but at least it had a plot and a main character who theoretically loving changed as a person instead of being literally given the world in reward for being a useless loving dipshit.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Timby posted:

This will never stop making me laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGTfbMioezc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyDbb5uozt8

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Sinding Johansson posted:

I tend to have strong feelings whenever I leave the theater but without a doubt episode 8 is the single worst movie I have ever seen.
you lead a charmed life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

sabotage was p bad

• Locked thread