Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
New Bloodborne thread lookin' good

My BB story is I found a castle in a dream that makes spikes shoot out of my body and then got gangfucked to death by evil spiders and took a break from it. I'm very bad at it but the stake driver is fun to punch people to death with and the crow outfit is cool as helllll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I'm leaning towards Injustice. Is it just Mortal Kombat with Batman?

Also, I never played Bastion. Worth $5?

A lot of peeps have recommended Assault Android Cactus too. If I adore Enter the Gungeon would I like it despite its art style being way less charming?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

When do the free PS+ games drop? Also, was anyone else surprised that TorqueL is some puzzle thing and not yet another mediocre racer a la Mad Riders or that dirt bike one?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

We're in the Final Age of Gaming because it won't be long before we don't have time or money to spend on big-budget niche entertainment, assuming we're still alive.

This is probably true

That said I am insanely hyped for SoM2 but even the press release makes it sound way too ambitious, like the first game was barely above 'really cool tech demo the barest semblance of plot' so adding base management and reactive environments and such sounds improbable or half-baked at best. Like just give me a larger variety of orcs and a larger variety of ways to kill them in new and exciting locales and someway to keep it challenging after the first theee hours, don't over-complicate it.

But then I'm the guy who played Ground Zeroes for almost as long as TPP so maybe I'm just weird :shrug:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Guillermus posted:

Things I got on my shopping cart right now:

Metal Slug Antology 7.99€
Duke Nukem 3D World tour 6.99€
Broforce 3.99€
Terraria 3.99€
Dragon Age Inquisition GOTY 14.99€
No Man's Sky 15.99€

All of these make up for 54€ (enough for the 10€ cash back in April). Any suggestions on what to add/remove? I kind of want to try MGSV: Ground Zeroes and is dirt cheap (3.99€).

Games I own (as guide) are Titanfall 2, Destiny, The Witcher 3 GOTY, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 2, all Uncharted games, Doom...

I loving love Ground Zeroes but be forewarned, it is exactly one map big, features only one 'real' mission and a bunch of little side missions. It's basically meant as a tech demo/prologue for TPP. Having said that, the stealth mechanics are ridiculously fun to screw around with.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Counterpoint, Broforce is dumb fun and the frame rate thing is only a real problem in like two levels. I just replayed it with a roommate a couple months ago and it was great.

Also, RE: that Shadow of War trailer, I almost feel like they might be biting off more than they can chew and getting too far away from 'Batman, only with orcs you murder instead of criminals you knock out' gameplay, but they might've just been showing off their big new setpiece battle system with the rest of the game being similar :shrug:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I've never really dove into Hitman, but is it kind of similar to MGSV, in that the mechanics kind of let you improvise, or is it more scripted?

Like, is it more 'figure out how to start one of five heavily prescripted Rube Goldberg machines that will lead to a guy dying' or can I gently caress around and through a series of lures and mishaps leave a pile of a dozen guards in various states of death/surrender/unconsciousness and jammed into a random closet before I just walk in and shoot the target? Because if its just Ground Zeroes with more maps and disguises as well as sneaking then I am sold, but I may be hoping its something that it's not.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I refuse to believe a human exists that actually enjoyed getting any of the collectathon trophies like the pigeons in GTAIV or the 'HAHA gently caress YOU IDIOT' trophies like Super Meat Boy's ones for beating thirty levels on one life.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

precision posted:

Outside of the main cast FF15 has the worst voice acting in recent memory, especially all those Southern accents, good gravy.

I laugh every time I click on the black diner guy and he goes "BWUH...whuh...oh...it's you boys"

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I actually legitimately enjoyed those Drakengard LPs someone did way back when but the last thing any of them made me want to do is play any of them, heh. Is Nier more along those lines or does it, ah, fix some of those issues (endless grinding for weapons, every other character having a severe sexual mental illness, etc)?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

I should have said that there aren't a lot of AAA big games scheduled for the rest of the year. Not that 2017 had nothing coming out.

But yeah, E3 will probably have 3 or 4 "surprise it's out on Nov" big titles.

I'm not counting on red dead not gettin delayed either.

Looks like someone forgot about a complicated and sexually charged series of love-hate relationships with various orcs that will be happening in late August

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Sorry to interrupt Souls chat (the crow outfit in Bloodborne is the best, fight me about it) asked in the PSN thread too, but is Mafia III worth picking up at half price right now? From a couple streams the aesthetic is lovely and it seems like there's a lot of little stuff to do a la Saints Row even if it does look janky as poo poo (also a la Saints Row).

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

It's probably the best ending in the series.

Ummmaybe you've never heard of Final Fantasy VI :smug:

But I agree it's good, people are down on it because of how enormously slapdash the last, ah, five chapters of the game are but I would say it still ended quite strong. Pretty much everything after getting to the ruined palace is gold.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

fridge corn posted:

i liked witcher 3 combat and controls

Stop lying bitch

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

the ps4 thread will soon be recognized for containing every possible slap fight at once.

what D&D alignment do people that don't tip their waiters belong to, and can i also get your opinion on the two most recent star wars movies :unsmigghh:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

So after reading a few recent pages of this thread I need to clarify something:

Nier Automata, a game from the creator of Drakengard, has a good plot? And not just a laughably insane dumb mess that ends with space babies and F-15s?

And the combat is good?

And it's not a nightmarish 'get upgrade fifty different weapons to get the real ending' grind?

Is this all accurate or is this like the time Bioshock Infinite was getting inexplicably praised for its ending?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Heh, I wish it had the nemesis system.

But it has its charms when you're harpooning people, doing sick rocket jumps off and driving around looking at pretty vistas. There's not much variety though, the unlock grind is ridiculous and the story is just 'do random jobs for random assholes, forever' so you'll definitely burn out long before the end.

But when I got it for $8 in a flash sale it was good times. If I'd paid full price I would have been pissed.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

If you liked the 'loot random dungeons, craft weapons and ignore the main story' parts of Fallout 4 but with swords and elves instead of shotguns and ghouls you'll probably enjoy Skyrim for that

It's hard to imagine playing it after Witcher 3 though

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

The Bioshock Collection is one of the worst ports I've ever played. If you make too many different saves you will literally 'run out' of save space, you can't even overwrite a save because they get bigger the further you are in the game.

I don't know, "the longer you play it the worse it gets" sounds like they captured the spirit if the original games pretty well

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

RE: the FFVII remake, its weird to me that of all the generally reknowned Final Fantasies the only one that hasn't gotten a string of remakes and terrible sequels is FFVI. Just the GBA version that added the ridiculous super-dungeons and that's it.

Where the hell is my FFVI remake complete with terrible voice acting and the awful 'Relm confronts Shadow' scene you would definitely add, Square? You made Dirge of Cerberus but you won't do that?? :argh:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

glam rock hamhock posted:

Someone's forgetting the FF6 ios port

I was trying to, yes

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Now rank Metal Gears, Final Fantasies and Mega Man games

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Snake could definitely beat up the unnamed protagonist from Bloodborne, probably with a chokehold

Not sure how he'd fare against Cloud Strife though

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I'm now sad that one of the Bloodborne DLCs didn't add the ability to subdue and fulton the increasingly monstrous enemies back to the Hunter's Dream to become my employees

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

While we're discussing why you should or shouldn't hate Nier, is Divinity II worth $15 on PS4? It just went on sale this week and playing XCom 2 this weekend renewed my love of turn-based combat.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I think I made a mistake buying XCom 2 in that sale last week.

Yesterday after work I thought I might sit down and play a quick mission then whoops its 4am and I haven't eaten or moved for eight hours

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Snak posted:

Do you mean in Europe? In the US, my ps+ games are Tales from the Borderlands and ABZU...

Don't forget Type: Rider

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

If you liked Fallout 3, 4 is a much better version of that with Minecraft-style settlement building added on. You also get a choice of which (underdeveloped and somewhat dumb) faction you wanna align with instead of being limited to the BoS this time, and some companions that are actually likable!

It's nothing like the first two or New Vegas though and there are only about 6-7 quests that don't just boil down to <kill boss> or <get item>, but it's definitely the best combat/crafting/scavenging/sneak-snipering they've ever done, so if you like Bethesda games they've gotten that poo poo down to a science.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Macarius Wrench posted:

I played through the entirety of Fallout 3 on the 360 and yet the utter jank of 4 on the PS4 was enough to put me of after a handful of hours.

I keep saying ill go back to it and then I remember the base building gimmick and, just no.

You must've been ridiculously unlucky because F4 runs way better than F3 ever did on consoles, to say nothing of FNV

Having said that, boarding a vertibird has been the cause of like eight out of the ten crashes I've experienced on PS4

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Worth noting that if you get PS+ (and I think you get a free trial when you first get a PS4? I forget) then Life Is Strange is gonna be free in like two days

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Someone recently lent me Until Dawn, and while it ended up being as cliche and 'one in ten choices actually matter' as I expected, has anyone actually done a similar 'movie with QTEs' style of game that's actually good?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Snak posted:

Until Dawn is literally the best implementation of "choices matter" in a primarily narrative driven game. Like, if it's not good enough for you, that's fine, cause I wasn't to impressed with it, but there's no game in the genre that has more things that matter.

Like, Witcher 3 does "choices matter" really well, but it's not really the same genre, and it does it well because it's changing the endings of lots of smaller stories drastically, rather than trying to change the final ending.

Eh, makes sense. It just seems like replaying it so much of it would be basically the same, especially because everything related to the fake killer ends up not really mattering, and even the framing device of Peter Stormare lecturing you just kinda awkwardly fizzles. Also, it doesn't seem like Mike or Sam can even die until near the very end, so a lot of the bits with them running away or climbing or whatever seem pretty superfluous when you realize that. I guess I was just disappointed that it had so much missed potential after such a strong start.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Yeah I hated Hitman back in the day because it was clunky and awkward and took itself seriously but I gave the new one a shot last time it was on sale and its kinda great, although the over-arcing plot is still some super-serious spy nonsense.

The only level that feels kinda weak is Morocco, all the tight corridors separating the school and the embassy and the whole 'evil general planning to seize control of a ruined third world city' felt more reminiscent of an early-2000s military FPS than anything else, but the rest of the game more than makes up for that.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I like choice in games, when it actually matters; as in, when I can end up in a few pretty different situations than when I started. Alpha Protocol is an amazing example of that (and not much else) and Dragon Age Origins had enough variation between my male dwarven commoner rogue and female elven mage playthrough that it really did feel different even if a lot of the dungeon crawling was the same. I also haven't replayed Witcher 3 since it's a hundred hours long but it seemed like your choices can make some big differences in the end, but W3 is good at pretty much everything so that's to be expected.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

poptart_fairy posted:

Then is completely disregarded in W3 and referenced with maybe three lines of dialogue. :v:

Hey man, choices even mattering in the game you're already playing is already a bridge too far for most devs, let's not shoot for the moon here

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Teyrn Logain showing up in DAI was cool as hell though

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Rinkles posted:

The checkpoint system in MGSV is annoying in free roam. I'm always a bit paranoid after picking up random supplies as to whether it saved (if I want to turn off the game). Having to run around with D-horse looking for a checkpoint trigger is bad. I think fiddling with some options also gives you a save but I'm not positive, and that's equally clunky.

(Also I had to re-find all the diamonds on one of the platforms when I got too enthusiastic about exploration; I jumped in the sea).

If that box popped up that showed all the resources you just got being added to your totals (as well total people/animals extracted) then it saved. Most of the checkpoints are just at the borders of a camp or outpost or whatever, so just ride out awhile and you're good.

Also, outside of missions once you know it saved just go to menu and 'Return to ACC" to fast travel back to the helicopter without paying to deploy it. Unless deploying it will be some bomb-rear end moment where you're blasting sick 80's hits and getting shot at as you race to the LZ, then do that.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah and also as the lord of a castle all your character can wear while there is a brown bodysuit. I had no idea what the gently caress about that the entire time I was playing.

They actually added new castle outfits later that are varying levels of ridiculous. Really spices up the romance scene with Cuillen...I assume

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I don't think an hour spent playing Horizon is enough to even get past the childhood opening bits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Its funny every one says to get past the opening part of HZD but that's the part I enjoyed the most and had the strongest narrative. I think it's because Rost has a great VA and all the sidequests tie almost directly into the main plot arc whereas later on its just some random poo poo you're doing. Meridian was also pretty disappointing to me because take away the collectathon merchants (don't bother btw) and its just like any other town, an area with a handful of quests and a couple shops that just takes longer to traverse. That poo poo ain't no Novigrad, I mean hell it's not even a Diamond City.

Also my combat arc basically went only using the bow->wow look at all these cool different weapons->oh I got the best bow and the mods that make fire arrows do like 5x as much damage->only using the bow. It doesn't help that its really easy to get basically the best gear like 40% into the game (super power armor you get five minutes before the ending doesn't count).

I mean, I still really enjoyed it, the combat is solid and the main quest is compelling, but it has some seriously questionable design decisions throughout.