Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I'm about to fire off a new/my first campaign of Arkham - partnering with Agnes. I was looking at the following Ashcan Pete list:

Asset (13)

Hand
2x Fire Axe
1x Knife
2x Magnifying Glass
Accessory
2x Rabbit's Foot
Body
2x Leather Coat
Ally
2x Peter Sylvestre
Other
2x Scavenging

Event (7)

2x "Look what I found!"
2x Lucky!
2x Ward of Protection
1x Working a Hunch

Skill (10)

2x Guts
2x Manual Dexterity
2x Overpower
2x Perception
2x Unexpected Courage

Any feedback? Objective is obviously a fast to get going deck built around the Duke / Scavenging / Cheap Items combo.
My broad upgrade plan is Lucky x2, Pete Sylvestre x2 then not sure (maybe grab a bulletproof vest)

Specific things I'd like feedback on:

I'm not sure we have enough firepower to get past any combats. Agnes is taking Shriveling etc but I'm not sure that's enough.
I'm not sure that I'm in love with Working a Hunch.
Is this the right mix of skills.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

Picked up Dunwich Legacy, but all the good builds I've seen use 2 core sets. :negative:

Guess I'll have to pick up another core set! Anyone else out there only using 1 core + Dunwich? How's it going for you? Any decklists to share?

I've just been proxying, but if you do turn the difficulty up a bit. We can faceroll through 'normal'

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

My observation is he can belt out a ton of average challenges against a diverse range of tasks really fast with Ashcan Pete, but he's not very good if it's very difficult challenges in a narrow range.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Anyone tried Dark Horse on a standard low cost Ashcan deck?

One extra attack when spending resources on the axe seems nice

No but it looks dreamy. Probably just need some reliable way of flushing resources on investigate checks as well

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Quidthulhu posted:

Decided to give the core on more Solo shot with a Agnes deck I put together from scratch (2 cores, no extra cards). I was ripping along going "THIS IS AWESOME I MADE A DECK!!" thanks to some good pulls on the encounter deck that weren't too disruptive and some well placed dodge bag pulls, but when the Ghoul Priest dropped after the end of Act 2 I was quickly dead. I'd like to tweak her a bit moving in to the next scenario, which I've also never done before (this is my third time through the first scenario and I very nearly played it right last time, too!)

I don't think I got any experience for running from my house and killing literally nothing so I can only swap out 1st level cards again, but any thoughts are appreciated. The main thing seemed to be that I was Totally Useless when it came to fighting anything, and since I had to kill the Ghoul Priest to proceed that was the end of that run :v:

Agnes from Scratch

Yeah, the problem with your deck is that unless you have a really good reason you should have two copies of everything. The only reason not to play a 2nd copy of something is if you have tutor effects that can find it and it's fairly expensive so drawing it in your opening hand is a dead card.

Secondly, Agnes is great at killing things. More ways of getting horror will help if you're struggling with firepower, a second Shriveling and a forbidden knowledge (remember you can take a resource to place a horror to use her ability to ping someone) will help a lot. For example something like:

2x Flashlight
2x Scrying
2x Shrivelling
2x Holy Rosary
2x Leather Coat
2x Arcane Initiate
2x Forbidden Knowledge

2x "Look what I found!"
2x Blinding Light
2x Drawn to the Flame
2x Lucky!
2x Ward of Protection

2x Fearless
2x Perception
2x Unexpected Courage

I took out 6 singles and the emergency cache's to double up on everything else. Replacing Shivelling with a baseball bat gives you more ways to trigger her ability. Another Forbidden Knowledge gives you more resources to offset the loss of the Cache and gives you more firepower. The downside is you might really feel the lack of Emergency Cache, though the resource cost of this deck is pretty low. The resource curve is 1.4 resources on average, forbidden knowledge nets you 3 resources, and upgrading the blinding lights gets you down to 1.32.

Edit: Also, I am pretty sure you get experience for running away?

Edit 2: Actually my deck idea may be illegal as has 6 survivor cards, jettison the 2nd leather coat for something else. Nope that's totally fine.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Sep 11, 2017

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

KPC_Mammon posted:

She can have as many survivor cards as she wants, just limited to level 2.

I think people undervalue the original investigators, being able to take the best of two card pools means Roland and Daisy aren't as far behind Zoey and Rex as some people claim and Agnes being able to take Peter Sylvester (2) along with the luck altering survivor cards is fantastic.

Whoops, didn't have the cards in front of me and couldn't remember her splash rules. Peter Sylvester is probably a decent pickup for this deck as well, though doesn't combo well with her special ability.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

Hard mode is the most fun mode once you grasp the game. Expert mode is there if you want the full bullshit experience.

I think

Don't know what you are doing and limited card pool = easy

Add 1 for bigger card pool, one for more skill and one if you want the game to be actually hard

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Some proxies will fix the issues imho. Having two ofs reduces the swinginess of your draws a lot and makes for a smoother game.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Where is the card spoiler for stick to the plan?

Edit: Turns out I am illiterate

OK stick to the plan is amazing. That's just an auto include in any deck that can take it. Would be ace with shortcut as well! Two free actions and draw a card for 3XP is so strong.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 19, 2018

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

I think a good rule of thumb is playing with one core is the same as playing at +1 difficulty

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

Stick to the Plan doesn't even really cost 6XP because you can easily decide you now only need the 1 copy (which you are guaranteed to see) of cards like Ever Vigilant or Extra Ammunition or an Emergency Cache (2) or (3).

So it saves XP, deckslots and also thins your deck.

You could start with Shortcut(2) every game as Roland.

So over easter my group wants to bang out the entire Dunwhich Campaign. I am planning on playing Mark Harrigan and just want some advice never having played a guardian before. This will be a 4 player game so I am not going to do anything other than murder people.

code:

Asset (16)

Hand

2x  .32 Colt
2x Flashlight - seems like a great pick 
2x  Machete

Ally

2x  Beat Cop
2x  Guard Dog

Other

2x  First Aid
2x Smoking Pipe
2x  True Grit

Event (10)

2x  "Let me handle this!"
2x  Elusive
2x  Emergency Aid
2x Emergency Cache
2x  Shortcut

Skill (4)

2x Overpower
2x  Vicious Blow

Asset (1)
Other
1x Sophie

Skill (1)

1x The Home Front
Treachery (2)
1x Random Basic Weakness 
1x Shell Shock
This deck feels super heavy, and I'm torn about

A) Should I include a painkillers?
B) Should I be rolling dodge?
C) Should I be carrying more skills? Feels so weird to only have 4.
D) What do I cut! One smoking pipe seems like a good cut, but not sure beyond that.

Upgrade plan is probably

Module 1:
2 * Stand Togethers - this card just seems pretty amazing, cutting the two emergency caches

Module 2:

1 * Stick to the Plan
1 * Ever Vigilant
1 * Upgraded Emergency Cache - I'm not sure I need this with ever vigiliant... unless I get lightning gun?

^ These two with the dream pull hand are just bananas. Play ever vigilant, play a gun, a flashlight and a guard dog - a good loadout and a free action! I just don't know what to cut, and maybe I do the Beat Cops First

Module 3:

2 * Beat Cops (Replacing the beat cops)
Charisma

Module 4:

2 * Vicious Blow
1 * Lightning Gun
1 * Extra Ammo
2 * First Aid

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

PJOmega posted:

The first time we did Midnight Masks we missed the "per investigator" part of the clues needed to spawn each cultist. So we did a full sweep and recruited them all. With bullets. A lot of bullets. Reading the "all cultists managed" text was really amusing afterwards.

Yeah, I did that as well except we did it legit.

I think Ashcan pete had personally killed 4-5 cultists by the end of it with duke and a fireaxe which made that text super comical.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Kalko posted:

New pack is up and holy poo poo at this new rogue ally. Also, apparently The Forgotten Age has a street date of May 10.

I feel like she is a huge include for Jenny decks.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Pete seems great in groups too because he can get swinging very quickly while people tool up. I dunno if the other survivors have the same tempo advantages

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

I'm wondering if you can actually use backpack in a deck. You need to consistently hit a ton of cards for this to be good, and I'm not sure that's possible.

Edit: mark harrigan can use stick to the plan to make sure he has improvised weapon from the start. That seems very corner case-y though as it will be a dead draw next time it comes up.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 8, 2018

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Xlorp posted:

My friend liked Night of the Zealot and wants to go on to Dunwich. But with more generalized investigators in place of the Rex and Zoey wrecking crew.

I thought to give him Pete while I take Sefina. Jenny was my first choice but seems a little slow to get herself properly set.

There are some very lean Pete decks floating around yeah. This combo great with anything slow as you throw down your fire axe, iron horse and go.

Just remember that to make Pete work you need reliable card draw and/or some way of flushing your resources to activate iron horse. You can make dumb 'combo' Pete decks that have insane passive stat mods built around at Hubert's key but they are a bit clunky to get going.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

You have to have two copies of two weapons just so you actually draw them. The exception is Pete who starts with duke in play.

I have no idea how you can reliably get a weapon without 4 copies.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Who pairs well with Rex for Dunwich? I have my go to Pete deck but wanting to try something different, maybe the new mystic?

You need some serious firepower yeah. Harrigan might work well as well.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Key of St. Hubert and Key of Ys combined with Dark Horse should give you plenty of investigation.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

Vantage point seems pretty good.

Alter Fate also a good card for Survivors to spend XP on.

I feel like there is a lot of XP to be sunk I to the Ashcan Pete decks before you can get anywhere.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

I gotta confess that Survivors are the class that clicks the least for me. All the others I got a really good sense of what I'm trying to do, including in variant builds, but whenever I play a Survivor I spent so much time either durdling or making skills tests at parity or only +1 with the difficulty.

Now obviously Survivors have some cards that allow them to succeed even when they fail and all that, but it's not like they have either that many of them or have that much draw. Plus those cards are at their strongest when you have a reasonably chance of succeeding in the first place and then when poo poo does go bad you get to salvage it, not when you're basically depending on them.

Maybe I should just spent a lot more time drawing when playing a Survivor or something.

Ashcna Pete is my favourite survivor (I think Wendy sucks). There are sort of broadly two things you do:

Have a very 'fast' deck - with Duke, Dark Horse, a mag glass and a fire axe Ashcan Pete is awesome at everything. Include lots of cantrip skills so you can cycle your deck very quickly if you're missing a combo piece. This deck investigates on 6 without any cards in the check, has fight 5 for 2 damage from duke which is competitive with a Colt .32 and that's without considering the fire axe which mostly exists as a way to dispose of resources in an emergency. You can use scavenging as an awesome card draw engine too (investigate with duke, fish an item out, toss the item to refresh duke, etc). It has a very low cost curve so you can get it rolling very quickly. Thia low overhead but generically good deck is pretty resistant to everything and can contribute in investigating or combat as required, and has a great willpower bonus so is usually pretty resistant to the mythos deck as well.

Alternatively you play 'get ridiculously good at everything' Pete. This is a more combo deck that uses Dark Horse+Madame labranche+St Hubert's key to get massive passive skill boosts. Having the key down gives Ashcan Pete access to all the desperate skills as well without taking any SAN damage which can be bananas good, but I think using the regular skills.might be stronger as if you have the key and dark horse ticking along what do you need even bigger bonuses for.

You can add Yaotl to trigger the reckless skills off the top of your discard and Key of Ys to this deck tonget outrageous bonuses to everything fairly easily.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Agreed. I could probably be convinced that the best 4 player setup in the game would be 4 decked out survivors.

I'm getting this sweet set from the event in a trade at Gencon and I'm excited to finally have a playmat. Any other good ones? I wasn't a fan of the first few they released to retail at release or the giant 4 player one.

The counter argument is basically 'yeah, but higher education.' Seekers are just so strong at their core activity and they've printed enough random combat cards (acidic ichor, I've got a plan) that they don't have a weakness anymore either.

Daisy plus Ashcan Pete is an awesome two player combo though.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

KPC_Mammon posted:

Elusive + Stick to the Plan. On demand teleport once per encounter is pretty much always worthwhile.

Shortcut is also good.

Shortcut is pretty great yeah, my stick to the plan loadout is shortcut, elusive and the card that gives you a 1 resource discount on firing out assets.

You can often get online in turn 1.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

I'd love borrowed time in a Guardian deck.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Spritz3 posted:

Edit: In case you want to consider a completely different upgrade path and assuming you have the packs, I will point out that seven experience is exactly enough for the Guardian power card: Stick to the Plan (which costs 6 since it's Exceptional) and it's best buddy Ever Vigilant (you only need one copy).

This is just super clutch.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Here's a random but easily-overlooked rule:

Weakness cards with the Treachery subtype (e.g. Cover Up, Hospital Debts, Haunted), while shuffled into and a part of player decks, are considered scenario cards for the purposes of interaction. Unless otherwise specified on the card, any player may activate the abilities on those weaknesses.

If you get stuck with Haunted and don't have two actions to spend to get rid of it, another investigator in the same location can spend two of their actions to clear it for you.

Note this only applies to weaknesses with the treachery subtype, as it makes them a scenario, rather than player, card, after they've been drawn. Weaknesses with a player card type, like Asset, Event, or Skill, can only be interacted with by the controlling player. e.g. Daisy Walker's Necronomicon weakness is a player card type (Asset), so only she can activate the abilities on the cards.
Completed two campaigns and did not know that

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Golden Bee posted:

That book seller looks like Daisy is moving up to top tier again.

Book seller?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Anyone come up with a limited card pool idea or draft or something for Arkham lcg?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Golden Bee posted:

3xp for +3, draw a card. Only good if you build to recur it.

It's great for dark horse pete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

Forbidden Tome might be the most amount of hoops to jump through for the most mediocre effect ever

I was all prepared to jump in to defend it,but you made me re-read the card and notice that it was 'for every 4 cards in your hand' and not 'for every card past 4 in your hand' which makes it absolutely terrible yeah.