Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I really would have thought that the two botanical-ecoterrorists and the two feline-females would have been alternate costumes of the same moveset, just like Flash/Zoom, Supergirl/Powergirl, and Hal/John were confirmed to be. We don't see a ton of gameplay in those trailers, but if they are clones NRS is working pretty hard to hide it. We'll have to wait and see how the two ice-guys and the two crazed-villains-who-employ-hallucinogenic-gas shake out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
WW's shield walk is the goofiest thing I've ever seen.

Are the variant specials only accessible with specific costumes? So you can't ever use them in ranked?

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
They took away his unblockable super, which is probably for the best, but it was one of the only good things he had in the first game. His basic arrows still do a pointlessly small amount of damage.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I didnt write down how much money I had before so I can't be 100% sure, but I think this might be a glitch.

Been playing some Swamp Thing in ranked, its amazing how many people get bodied just by doing f233 over and over. I keep waiting for them to wise up and block the overheads so I can cancel into the low log, but often that never happens.

D2df2 seems like his best tic-throw, but the weirdest thing is, if the d2 hits sometimes the throw will grab them out of the air and sometimes it won't. In training mode I could only get it to consistently combo if I set the dummy to jump and hit it right AFTER it landed (???), but in matches it would combo more often than not. Anybody have any idea what's up with that?

Fenn the Fool! fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 20, 2017

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
If defense just reduces damage by some percentage, then yeah having both health and defense as stats is pretty redundant. Are we sure that denense doesn't do something more complicated than that though? Like, if it negated some flat amount of damage per hit then you'd want to favor fewer high damage hits against high defense characters.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
At the end of the story mode I was left thinking: wait, they're really gonna leave all the alien cities in suspended animation? Why don't they put them down on earth? Then I saw joker's arcade ending where he does exactly that and watches with glee as all the different cultures murder one-another. I'm not sure if I should be more concerned about my thought process lining up with a maniac's or with the subtle xenophobia coming out of NRS's writing team.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Zand posted:

*has the ai play a fighting game for me*

Do you actually want to play against the lovely input-reading AI? I sure as hell don't. Having the AI play the singleplayer content for you is one of the most painless ways to get boxes of pretty princess dressup stuff and make your numbers get bigger; that gives goodfeels to my dumb lizard brain.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Yeah, I've mostly been playing ranked. The single player stuff is perfectly fine to play yourself right up until the AI starts beating you, it doesn't play anything like a real person and reads your inputs like crazy, making it incredibly frustrating and random to fight against. You just end up looking for gimmicks that the AI has trouble dealing with, and those'll be nothing but bad habits when you go to play against real people.

Admittedly, making fighting game AI that plays anything like a real person is extremely difficult, but given the emphasis on vs AI fights I really would have liked NRS to put some thought into making the AI fun to fight against. Something that telegraphed when the AI was going to jump or do an unsafe attack would be easy and teach you useful skills for actually playing the game. Hell, even just making the AI play like someone mashing buttons would be better.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Sdoots posted:

Swamp Thing gets hosed over with his trait imo. It's an alright idea (Prevent the enemy from jumping or dashing) but you summon it wherever you are already standing. You'd have to be really lucky with throws to get that work out for you.

I got an ability for him that changes it to be a teleport that goes underground, and I don't think I'll ever unequip it.

Other than that, he seems pretty decent. His combos are a lot of 2s and 3s rather than 1s and 2s, which is jarring coming from Batman. I've yet to figure out a great way to combo into his Supermove, either, which is unfortunate.

I haven't tested the damage on it, but you're almost certainly better off saving your meter as ST can get some pretty solid damage meterless or for 1 bar.

For fairly easy stuff you can do:
f23bf3MB f23db3 11df1b
b223bf3MB b3 j3 11df1b

If you wanna get really crazy then you can link b223 or f233 into f2, though both are drat hard and the link off f233 is spacing/charachter specific.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I didn't want to believe it, I was hype for the green, but a buddy and I played a long set and we're pretty convinced that Swamp Thing is bad.

At range ducking beats everything he does. Vine grab and bio-fission (the second ST hitting you from behind) are both duckable and have a lot of recovery. Log kick does good chip, but the recovery is so bad that you can jump over it for a full punish on reaction. At closer range you can't react to it, but it's -14 on block so, yeah.

His only raw overheads are the no-range 20-frame 2 and f3. F3 has a long startup and really obvious animation, your opponent should be able to punish with b3MB or f3MB on reaction. Even if they block it, it's only +2 and Swampy is slow.

F233 (the club swing) is a great string, it's fast, long range, and hits mid-overhead-overhead, but you have no way to get any real damage out of it. F21 hits mid-low, but its quite a bit slower than the overhead option, so an opponent familiar with it can fuzzy guard it, more importantly it doesn't give you a combo and switches sides, making it harder to corner your opponent. You can cancel the first two hits into log kick for a surprise low, but again you only get the one hit of damage and its -14 on block. If you can condition your opponent to crouch with these lovely options, then you can actually get a combo off f23bf3MB, but if you're relying on the f23 overhead to open them up then you can't hitconfirm it and have to commit to spending meter on the unsafe bf3MB.

B223 (the spike shoulder) is another great string, hits mid-mid-mid, is fairly fast, can be hitconfirmed into a combo (either by canceling into bf3MB b3 or the difficult link into f2), and is +6 on block! Unfortunately it doesn't leave you close enough or have enough frame advantage to threaten the 2 overhead or command grab.

If you can corner your opponent then he actually has some real stuff with the threat of command grab and trait setups, but getting to that point is just an awful slog. Theoretically if you could set up his trait midscreen he'd have some interesting options, but the startup on it is long, it goes away if you get hit, and even if you do get it out you have to actually force your opponent into it.

I really want to like the character, a lot of his tools are fun, but I just don't know what the hell is gameplan is supposed to be.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

big cummers ONLY posted:

I notice sometimes in discussion that people will say something like, your opponent can punish you for this on reaction with a f3MB. They say this about any generic opponent. I understand the notation but does this mean there are further "standard" attack types than just light, medium, heavy? Like, does every character have a similar level of baseline utility in their f3MB, where it hits in a certain way or mechanically works the same across all characters? Bad wording I know but hopefully someone can parse what I'm getting at

There are some unique properties that every characters's b3 and f3 share. B3 is a wallbounce and f3 is a groundbounce, they can also be meterburned for armor and canceled into for 2 bars. Generally these are also long range, plus on block, and f3 usually hits overhead. There are other similarities between normals across the cast:
-d1 is almost always a character's fastest normal, but is usually difficult to combo off of
-d2 is always an uppercut and is usually good for anti-airing
-d3 is always a low attack that knocks down
-most of the cast has a 11 string that hits high-mid, usually a fast combo starter
-j3 always knocks down

edited for "facts", gaaaaawd

Fenn the Fool! fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 25, 2017

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Well I'll be damned, only 24/29 characters have 11 strings.

I'm pretty sure Swampy can crossup with j1, I read that somewhere, but I haven't tried it.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

!Klams posted:

Like, how is swamp thing not utter poo poo? Sorry, that's really hyperbolic, what I mean is, 'on paper' what's his bag? It seems to me like he's slow and cumbersome, and normally in a Solomon Grundy / Zangief type that is made up for with strong command grabs, but with swamp thing he has one grab that's like, mediocre and has insanely sorry reach and no way to get in, and another grab that I've ever yet to see land, what's the deal with the vine grab? His special talent just seems like whatever it does (I cannot tell at all from the tool tips) could literally be "the opponent loses if they walk on it" and it would be weak?

That's basically my assessment. His trait does a small amount of damage over time and prevents the opponent from dashing or jumping, which is pretty strong, but basically the only way to get your opponent to stand on it is to do a short corner combo with d2 canceled to trait. If he has anything resembling a functional gameplan it's based around doing f233 a lot, occasionally canceling to the (really unsafe, possibly reactable) log kick instead for a surprise low. If you can bully your opponent to the corner with this then you become a real character.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Swamp thing can hitconfirm of f23 pretty easy, I said that he can't hitconfirm if you're using the high/low to open them up. So, they block the f2 but get hit by the following overhead, you'd have to cancel straight into bf3MB if you want a combo and there ain't nobody hitconfirming that.

F233 is -2 on block. B223 is +6, but you're not close enough to threaten command grab or his glacial overhead.

His 11 is a pretty good AA, but I don't know how you force people to jump, all his ranged options are pretty awful. F2 is totally a great normal, but the best you get off of it is a high/low mixup that's either unsafe on block, low damage, or both.

He is legitimately scary if he gets you to the corner, but so are a lot of characters, it doesn't make up for how awful his options are midscreen.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Empress Brosephine posted:

Is there a site that lists combos etc?

The testyourmight.com forums are pretty good at compiling info for NRS games. They have specific subforums for each character that generally have a stickied combo thread. Its all community run, so it won't be perfect, but it's not a bad place to start looking or ask questions.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

nickmeister posted:

Okay, I don't get this game at all.

When I get knocked down, it's over. Everything I block seems safe or plus, so I have no way of mounting any kind of offense. All of the combo videos start with moves that have terrible range so I can never get close enough to actually use them. Characters are vulnerable after a dash for about 1000 years, so I can never zip in and attack that way.

Sounds like you're pretty new to fighting games, nothing wrong with that, but lets talk some basics!

That pressure your opponents are putting you through after a knockdown, there are probably gaps where you could sneak in a fast attack, like d1, but you'd have to be very familiar with that specific matchup to know when. You can always to to training mode and test stuff out, but luckily you have a lot of much easier and much more universal options. Every character has some special moves that are fully invincible when used as a wakeup attack (that is, when used immediately after a knockdown), you can use these to get some space on an opponent that isn't giving you any breathing room. You can also backdash out of a lot of situations, both on wakeup and from any small gaps in their attacks. If you have meter, using it to block-escape or air-escape wouldn't be a bad way to interrupt their gameplan. Finally, meterburning your b3 or f3 gives you armor, allowing you to blow through an opponent's attacks and land a big combo!

All of these options will lose to something, but they all lose to different things, so the game is about selecting the tool that your opponent isn't ready for.

Now, about your offensive game. Dashing up to do your close range attacks into a big combo is both the slowest option you have to threaten your opponent and the most potentially damaging, so it makes sense that your opponent would have a gameplan that prevents you from doing that. Just like with defense you need to pick the tool that your opponent isn't ready for. At range, throwing projectiles and doing long range pokes are usually safer options that trying to jump or dash in; they don't do much damage, but they'll beat a lot of things your opponent could do, like if they tried to dash in on you. If you can get your opponent to flinch expecting a long range attack, that might give you enough time to go in on them!

This is a lot of information, but its ok if you don't have it all memorized right now, a lot of the people you'll be fighting don't have their heads around it either. Just think about what you're losing to and try to improve your game one little step at a time. You're already thinking about "How do I do the most damage?" and that's good, but you should also be asking yourself questions like "What options do I have that are the least risky?" and "What do I think my opponent will do next and how do I stop it?".

Hopefully all that was helpful. Looking up tournament videos for you character on youtube or looking at the forums on TYM are some great ways to see what other people are having success with, and you can always post some more specific questions here. Good luck!

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

he1ixx posted:

I worry that I see literally no one picking Green Arrow. Maybe I shouldn't have picked my favorite fighter based on the quality of the snarky one-liners in the intro and outros.

Green Arrow is almost certainly not top tier, but he's got stuff. Here's some basics that I hope you find helpful:
-Your normal arrows do less damage on hit than most projectiles do on block; that doesn't mean they're useless, but try to keep special arrows loaded whenever possible. Finding combos that end by canceling into loading arrows will help a lot here.
-Holding 4 and jumping backward is a great option, you put space between you and your opponent can fire a straight arrow if they jump or an overhead downward arrow if they try to move forward.
-Ice arrow will be your go-to most of the time because it threatens the most damage, try to learn a basic b3 combo that you can do off that freeze. If you're feeling particularly confidant in your zoning for a particular matchup then the 3-at-a-time fire arrows can be useful, but stay away from the electric ones until you have specific combos for them.
-F2d13 is fast, forward moving, and hits mid-low-overhead, use it often. It can also be canceled at any point, so if they do start blocking it then hit them with a low ice arrow instead of the overhead!
-Your d1 is an amazing fast poke, long reach and you can combo off it if you have an ice arrow stocked. You can also cancel to db2 for a safe way to get some space or just do a couple d1's in a row to see how they react. Once your opponent is respecting these options you can get cheeky and go for the f2 string, a jump back overhead arrow, or just throw.
-Bf3 is your invincible wakeup, it can also catch people off guard as a long range low. Meterburn it for a low-overhead, it's not difficult to block if they know it's coming but it's a great surprise to close out a round. It's unsafe on block though, so however you use it, don't overuse it.

I haven't actually been to training mode with him in this game yet, but my BnB combo right now is freeze into b3 j3 223 load arrow. For some reason I have a hell of a time canceling into load ice arrow, get a normal arrow shot instead, but canceling into loading fire arrows works every time. I'll need to do some debugging to figure out why, but the exact combo you do isn't super important, just something that's reliable for you.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I figured out why I kept loving up loading an ice arrow at the end of my combos. If you freeze a dude, you can't load another ice arrow in that combo, but can freely load a different arrow type. I tried to do it like 80 times before I realized :downs:.

My go-to easy execution Green Arrow combo is now whatever into freeze b3 j3 3df1. Hit the j3 as late as possible in your jump. Optimal stuff is like b3 ff 3db1 b23df1 or some hard nonsense like that. In any case, if you're close you have a ton of time to load a (non-ice) arrow after the freeze but before the b3. If you're not close or you want to load another ice arrow then the df1 gives you a good bit of time to do so.

he1ixx posted:

Wow. great stuff.

Some questions:

- I have changed arrow types but it seems almost random honestly. is it just standing still while hitting the "special" key (sorry, I don't know the number signifiers yet) to cycle them?
- I have been using the b3 but it has a lot of start up so I keep getting crushed by faster people. I guess this technically isn't question.
- how do I block grab moves? countering with a grab myself? my current counter is waiting until their grab move finishes doing massive damage and then I wave around in front of me like a hapless moron -- it isn't effective.
- I completely do NOT understand meter burn. I tried playing with it last night in practice mode and think I'm missing something. Most of the time it didn't work when I had plenty of meter to use. Is it just a few moves that it works with? it is totally confusing since it is talked about everywhere like its just a thing and honestly I hadn't even heard of it before I got the game.

Most of this has already been answered, but I have a few extra bits to add. Pause the game and take a look at the move list, it'll tell you the inputs for stuff (like the different arrows) and what stuff can be meterburned; if you really want to dig in deep it'll also show you stuff like startup frames and block advantage. You can tech a throw by doing your own throw at the same time, however you can't do this on reaction, you have to predict that it's coming; it also only works on normal throws, if your opponent has a special move throw then you can't tech it. Jumping, backdashing, or using a move with armor will also beat throws.

Finally, yes, your b3 is real useful and, to tie everything together here, you can meterburn it (every character can meterburn their b3 and f3) to get a hit of armor. Green Arrow in particular has great tools at long range with his arrows and good tools at close range with d1 and f2, but there's a dead zone in between where his options aren't great. In that range b3MB is one of your best options. It's safe on block so if you got the meter go hog wild with it, but also experiment with using jumps, dashes, db2, and bf3 to move to a more advantageous spacing for you.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
There was an Ivy player in top 8 at combo breaker. You can find the videos on NRS's Twitch Channel.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Is there any reason why ranked matches aren't best 2 of 3, or even best 3 of 5? I like to run sets with people, but trying to find an opponent in Player Match is a slog. Lots of guys who instantly decline when the win odds are in my favor, lots of guys with sets of level 20 epic gear that refuse to turn on competitive mode, and lots of guys that play one and slam next opponent.

If anybody wants to play some sets, even if you're bad and learning, add me on PSN: Fenn_the_Fool

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This is great, I was just reading about hit confirms earlier so seeing some video on it really helps. It does have me thinking more about frame data and how to translate that into tactics, though.

So the fastest moves in the game have a 6 frame startup, right? So that's what determines if a move is safe on block or not, generally.

If I just throw out a move that's unsafe on block (-6 or lower) and it gets blocked, then I have given the opponent the momentum, and just have to hope I don't get hit with a full combo.

If I have a move that is negative but safe on block (-1 to -5) then I can block my opponent's response. If I try to attack right away after they block I will be at a disadvantage because they can more easily line up a counter hit.

Now if I do a move that's plus on block and they block it, I still have some momentum, because I'll recover faster than they do, right? But it's only going to be 2 or 3 frames, what can that translate into?

A move that's -6 is only punishable if it leaves the blocker close enough to hit you with their 6 frame attacks. The further an attack pushes away on block the more negative it has to be to be unsafe, because longer reaching attacks are generally slower.

If you get your opponent to block an attack that's +3, then you have three frames to do things before they can. So even if they do a really fast 6-frame attack afterward, you can beat it with an 8 frame attack or trade with a 9 frame one. In real match neither of you is going to be reliably hitting your attack on the first possible frame, so there's some fuzzyness to how this will play out in practice, but it's still a helpful concept to understand. When you're only +2 or +3, your opponent's d1 is still probably going to beat your fastest non-d1 mid, so you still need to try and read what action your opponent will take, but those extra frames will let you beat their d1 with yours, or maybe just walk backwards out of d1 range and then whiff punish.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I'm not super familiar with that string, but none of that seems wrong on it's face. How all these pieces fit together is going to have a lot of nuances, I'd recommend going to training mode and getting a feel for what you can/can't hitconfirm when the dummy is set to randomly block and also what you can/can't punish with when the dummy is set to do that string to you. Just be sure to think about how reaction time plays into this, when the dummy is on a predictable loop its a lot easier to react to things then when a real opponent is doing them sporadically along with other attacks. A few other points to keep in mind here: Even if they duck the first hit and block the second hit crouching, they could still stand up to block the overhead (though, if vine drill hits low then you could cancel to that instead of doing the overhead for a 50/50). I don't know how much range that string has and how fast the second hit comes out, but ducking under the first hit and punishing with a crouching attack could be very difficult to do on reaction; if your opponent can only do so predicatively, then that becomes something you could potentially bait out and punish.

Finally, whatever a move's block or hit advantage is, that number only matters if you don't cancel it into another attack. So, f21 being -3 on block is irrelevant if you cancel it into f212. There might be a gap between those two attacks where your opponent could do something, if they leave blockstun for even one frame your opponent could do an armored attack or backdash. If there is a gap of 6 or more frames they have enough time to interrupt your string with their attack, though strings like this are fairly rare. Regardless, f21 being -3 on block isn't enough information to know whether f212 has a gap in it or how big that gap is. If you really wanted to you could look at that block advantage along with the recovery, startup, and cancel window of those attacks and do all the math to figure out how big that gap is, but it'd probably be easier just to test it in training mode.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

!Klams posted:

...? If I spam light, you can guarantee if it's blocked that you're going to eat a lengthy combo, and as far as my testing goes there is literally no way to stop it? It's actually that black and white, get blocked = eat combo, that's what I'm asking about really? Maybe it's because doctor fate has a target combo that's like 112, so it has a bigger... Frames... More negative on block...? Are these words?

Open up the move list and take a look at that move's block advantage. If, hypothetically, it were -10 then your opponent could punish it with any attack that's 10 frames or faster (unless the attack they blocked pushed them too far away to hit you with those fast attacks). If it's unsafe then you definitely don't want to throw it out randomly without good reason, you could instead cancel to a special that's safer.

I'm not super familiar with Fate and I try to never play the AI, but I'd think that using projectiles would be the way to go. In particular, meterburning the slow orb makes it really difficult for your opponent to get to you. If your opponent does get's close Fate has some kinda magic shoulder-check thing that comes out pretty fast and has good range, if you cancel it to the ahnk special it does decent damage and pushes away if they block, giving you space to throw more projectiles.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I really don't know why you would play Joker once Red Hood comes out. Joker's one unique selling point was the teeth and Hood's mine is the same thing but better, while also having better ranged options, better mobility, and a low parry to compliment the high parry. Maybe Hood's normals or damage really suck to balance it out, but Joker isn't exactly amazing on either of those fronts so....

Fenn the Fool! fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I feel like they forgot about the Joker. I'd really like it if he had literally one thing that he did better than Red Hood.

• Locked thread