Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Baron Corbyn posted:

But fore means "in the front of"?

There's a difference between the meaning of words and their historic derivation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

big scary monsters posted:

Pretty good speech to be honest, strange to find yourself more in agreement with a Tory minister than the Labour leader on this issue.

Ex-minister. No way is he being allowed anywhere near the current government

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/news-opinion/derek-hatton-i-now-serious-12531334

Now even Militant-ites are speaking out against Corbyn. This is turning into a big whoops

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

feedmegin posted:

The first thing that happens if Labour builds a ton of council housing is that the Tories run on a platform of 'Right to Buy Two: Buy Harder' in the next election and win the election by flogging off all that housing, meanwhile blaming Labour for the tax rises needed to build all of said houses.

so would you argue that they shouldn't have built all those council houses in the post-war boom?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

That is a very creepy twitter account

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Normally if an MP needs a sick note their pair from the other side will sit out the vote voluntarily, so it doesn't matter over all. Kind of breaks the system when the opposition are supporting the government though.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

If Corbyn doesn't lose the election personally Labour will be haunted by 'Corbyn would have won' types.

and if he does lead the party into the next election Labour will be haunted by 'Corbyn would have won if it weren't for the leadership challenge' or some other unprovable hypothetical.
same as people still argue about whether Brown should've called that early election, or if Dave Milliband would've triumphed where Ed failed.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

jBrereton posted:

They actually did just have a very Labour style leadership election, which is why Gove and BoJo aren't PM.

This post couldn't be more inaccurate

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

jBrereton posted:

Explain to me how two people who probably both had a decent shot at power completely loving themselves up wasn't the most student politicsy bollocks ever.

The Conservative contest was nothing like the Labour contest (either of them).

Only Con MPs got to vote, it never went to the members/ affiliates / £3 people off the street.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

jBrereton posted:

In spirit, it was.

How?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

jabby posted:

Do you not think it's slightly bad for democracy for nobody but MPs to get any say in what the two major parties are offering?

We thankfully don't have a presidential system, and I'd prefer to keep it that way than try to emulate one

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

How are you posting from back in the 1970s

Haha. Fair point.
I don't think we should emulate one any further, and should reverse that trend

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

mehall posted:

Who would you like to lead that government?

i wish ed milliband had been PM the last 2 years

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Plenty of MPs didn't. Incidentally, they were right to oppose the referendum purely for keeping the Tory Party together.

Not that many. Just the SNP and Dennis Skinner voted no wasn't it?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Jesus, really? That's hilarious. I just assumed that the Labour right would have decided a referendum was a terrible idea. My bad. All of Labour is useless.

careful now. if you look back at what the Labour-right leadership said in justification for not voting against the 2015 bill it's the exact same logic as the Corbyn-leadership in not voting against article 50 now.
will of the people and all that

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

HJB posted:

Am I going mad or was Labour's previous share still bigger than UKIP's?

3 seats in each ward. Labour had 2 and UIKP 1. the by-election was just to replace the kipper
those vote share %s are comparing the total for 2 candidates in each party in 2016 to the single candidate of each party in this by

edit: numbers here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotherham_Metropolitan_Borough_Council_election,_2016
multi member constituencies, but still using FPTP leads to some hosed up mess. like Labour had 48 out of 63 seats, totally dominating. but still couldn't risk putting up a 3rd candidate in every ward because it could split the vote

Cerv fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 5, 2017

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Are you entirely sure that's not a joke?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

When is by election night I think it's going to be a thriller.

23/02

There won't be enough results to make a drinking game out of it

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Stewart Lee is still very funny. Liberals are capable of being politically wrong & yet still funny. Seems like the Libs would always have been a good fit for him really. But I bet Stewart Lee the character would like Jeremy Corbyn.

You realise that his column is written in character?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

I say with 90% certainty that The Morning Star doesn't have unpaid internships. Anyway, this is a bad excuse. Internships, as The Guardian's writers have admitted, are terrible. While I agree there does need to be a broader representation of minorities in journalism, that's hardly unique to race. Journalism is wholly unrepresentative of Britain as a whole. And going purely by population, the poor are much more unrepresented in that profession (& most other high prestige or high pay jobs). Hell, the only groups not over-represented are those that attended independent schools & those that attended Oxbridge.

Anyway, I'll stop now because we're just going over the same ground and it's probably not interesting to read.

The morning star is not without its own labour relations problems.
Paying minimum wage even in London. Sacking reporters who upset their favourite union officials, or deviating slightly from the party line.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Gort posted:

Why does that get scare quotes from you? Implementing the result of a referendum is pretty democratic no matter how much you personally dislike the result.

52 wolves and 48 lambs voting on what to eat for lunch is not democracy

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

Roll back devolution within Great Britain and empower local authorities.

which level of local authority? empowering the county level makes sense.
but the Scottish / Welsh / London devolved parliaments / assemblies all take that role. what's the point of abolishing them just to replace with newly empowered counties covering much the same areas?

or if you mean the lower district / borough level of local authority, I don't think we should empower them to anywhere near the same level on things like income tax, control of the NHS, …

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

One might ask what the point of setting such assemblies up was when local authorities already fulfilled that role?
they didn't fulfil that role anymore.
the GLC had been abolished in 86 by Thatcher with nothing to replace it.
and Major abolished the 9 Scottish regional councils.
(I have no idea about Wales, and don't care to look it up)

1 Scottish assembly seems to work better now than 9. it's about the same total population as London for example so a good size for it.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

No he didn't. Scotland has had a separate NHS a lot longer than a devolved parliament.

I don't think the NHS was ever under the control of the low level district councils. only referred to the NHS to say it's an example of something that should not be devolved that far.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

I went to the national railway museum recently - that's in York.

It's really good. I hope you enjoyed it.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

mehall posted:

And Scotland aiming to be in the EU, and May insisting she will get a FTA with the EU means, as I said, that there would be no impact to English trade.
both of those points are wishful thinking. even assuming they do happen eventually, there will certainly be years of transition first.
no impact my arse

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Dead Goon posted:

Perhaps it is like a real job and he says to Tom, "Hey Tom, I had to come in on Sunday so I'm going to take Monday off. Do you mind stepping up and keeping on eye on things? I'll be on my mobile and checking emails periodically if things really kick off."

have Corbyn & Watson started talking again?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

Corbyn is taking the hours off instead of taking the overtime pay. Is it unjust for a leader to be fairly compensated? If he was doing 50 hours a week would you be complaining about him draining Labor's coffers?

leader of the opposition's salary is paid by the state, not the party, isn't it?

Cerv fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Feb 8, 2017

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

"Corbyn doesn't work 24/7 therefore he's bad." --people who are shitposting on an internet forum during normal working hours.

lol it's lunch time

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

Try working at Amazon: 8 hour shift, no lunch break. You get a 10 minute and 20 minute break after 3 and 5.5 hours respectively.

i'm surprised if that's legal

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

i'm saving you all £1.80 here:

never mind TOIL. what's the 4 day week about?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

ronya posted:

Parliament does not sit every day.
what a pointless thing to say
sitting in parliament is not the full extent of an MPs job

that's like thinking school teachers all go home at 3 when classes end

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Labour amendments have been rejected and the tory government has clearly shown it wants full control over the negotiations and their objectives. It is a tory brexit.

If the tories want full control of the negotiations, they can have full control of the blame as well.

Do you actually believe this?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

it's two years unless the rest of the EU allow an extension

no one seriously believes it'll all be done in two years. an extension is a given.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Junkozeyne posted:

An exstension requires the approval of all EU member states. It is anything but given. Remember the 2 years are not there for negotiating a new (trade) deal, it is for negotiating the exit deal.

it's not in the interests of the EU or the remaining member states for the UK to bomb out without an exit deal being agreed.

Darth Walrus posted:

I don't believe there are any mechanisms for extension, are there?
3.The Treaties shall cease to apply to the State in question from the date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement or, failing that, two years after the notification referred to in paragraph 2, unless the European Council, in agreement with the Member State concerned, unanimously decides to extend this period.

Cerv fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Feb 9, 2017

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Laradus posted:

I'm curious now about "climate change link to IS". That must have passed me by. :D

Drought and desertification in Syria helped drive instability and population shift to the cities, and hence the civil war.
But there's a danger that over emphasising that aspect is an excuse to ignore the far more significant factors like decades of terrible government mismanaging resources and inflicting repressive measures on the populace.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

lying about being at Hillsborough surely has to tank Nuttal's election campaign. there's no way he can get over that is there?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

namesake posted:

Forget all the politics poo poo for the moment, this needs an answer.

they had an on again off again relationship. if Christian hadn't walked out on Al Fayad when they'd been living together a year before the crash, then he presumably wouldn't have been out with Di that night

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Verizian posted:

Pretty sure Corbyn would respect anyone a little more for breaking the whip if they believe it's right to do so.

Setting precedent for ignoring the process might be a minor goal of his.

obviously he never held a (shadow) ministerial position to quit from, but did Corbyn ever actually defy a 3 line whip himself? hansard doesn't record how parties instructed so it's a bit hard to check without digging through 30 years of newspaper reports.

this sounds like some "11th dimensional chess" nonsense. whether Corbyn's planned to undermine his own party leadership all along, or just bottled on following through after the vote, the effect is the same. the only precedent is that he looks silly. whoever - left, right or centrist - takes over after he's gone isn't going to feel bound to ignore their own instructions because Corbyn did once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

yesterday's guardian had a funny interview with Jess Philips (who has a book out to plug)

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/11/jess-phillips-mp-never-felt-scared-old-job

quote:

Knee-deep in profanity, the MP has mocked the unsayable stupidity of the public (“I enjoy taking people on on Twitter, because often I’m cleverer and funnier”), sworn about her children and been rude about her parliamentary colleagues (“They say, ‘I never hear you speaking about such and such,’” she mimics in a prissy voice. “As if that means I’m not allowed to talk about anything.” Rolling her eyes, she snorts and retorts, “Hmm, well, I never hear you speaking about anything interesting.”). I’m not entirely surprised: when Diane Abbott once unwisely tried to put her down in a meeting with, “You’re not the only feminist in the PLP,” Phillips told her to gently caress off. The MP later remarked: “People said to me they had always wanted to say that to her, and I don’t know why they don’t, as the opportunity presents itself every other minute.”

• Locked thread