Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

In Training posted:

Hell they just made that padding the entire point of the game in Dragon's Crown.

There's no padding, the sorceress isn't even wearing a bra :downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
https://gfycat.com/BlaringShadyKiskadee

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

That isn't new. Gamestop was doing this as decade ago, it was one of my first part-time jobs and the exact same thing happened then.

Retail is basically the worst along with food service and people should have to experience it so they know. They must know.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

Those no longer really exist, Gamestop crushed them in the late 90s/early 2000s with its ridiculous resale prices and larger selection.

We have a handful here in Austin. In small towns, I'd guess to be very rare or impossible to find an independent game store though.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Looper posted:

Wait what why did we never hang out

I didn't know you lived in Austin, I totally would have.

So I'm playing D44m for the first time and it's really good and fun and I see why people love it. Like my only criticism is that it could use a better damage indicator, but that's pretty small.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Rexroom posted:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20753235853?page=3#post-58

Is Overwatch still using the dual sticks only control scheme?

The xim/controller split is real and it kinda sucks. Most of the CoD goons I play with use the xim and they wreck. I occasionally top leaderboards but it's rare. Though I guess tbf, stux is a top tier cod goon and uses a gamepad.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I doubt anyone who reads this thread wouldn't already know about it but Pillars of Eternity 2 was announced formally and has a kick starter on fig here that is already at about 190% of the funding goal. Pretty neat for CRPG fans.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

haveblue posted:

They half are, Japan outlawed one particularly egregious form a few years ago and all the F2P mobile companies hastily patched it out.

That was just going "you can fleece people but only so hard." gacha mechanics are all hosed up and are a pox on gaming.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Harrow posted:

To use the Overwatch example, imagine a version of Overwatch where:
  • You don't immediately have access to every character. Instead, you get a random handful of characters when you make your account and the rest have to come from a loot crate.
  • You get loot crates fairly often early on but it seriously tapers off as you go.
  • There's no protection against duplicate characters, so even if you pull a character, there's a decent chance you already have them.
  • There are lots and lots of samey characters so that the chances of you getting the one you want are lower.
  • Characters aren't intended to be equal--there are inherently good and bad characters, and they have a star rating to let you know if you got a good one or a bad one. You will not do well without high-rated characters.
Ultimately it means that you're reliant on random character draws to progress past a certain point. Overwatch, at least, is purely cosmetic, though I'm not a big fan of loot crate monetization in the first place.

People who play gacha games often spend hours upon hours right out the gate uninstalling and reinstalling the game to reroll their initial pull because they know without a couple of five-star characters, they're going to stall out their progression sooner than later, and the only way to get past the hump when you do stall out is either to grind for hours and hours, or pay money on character draws until you finally draw something good. In many cases, you can pay extra money for a special character draw with a higher chance at getting something good but often no protection against getting some two-star bullshit anyway.

This is a good way to put it. Loot crates in OW are dumb (the duplicates in particular) but gacha is a step worse. The thing that got outlawed in Japan by the way was "multi gacha" in which you didn't even get things from loot crates, you got parts of things. Think like the McDonalds monopole game where each monopole has one property with a very rare rate except the entire business is based on it and marketed to children.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

In Training posted:

I wish there was like a 5 to 10 dollar version of puzzle and dragon that was just a normal video game because I like the mechanics of it

Didn't it get a normal 3DS release without the gacha?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

StrixNebulosa posted:

Being inclusive isn't bad

But who here played Mass Effect for the human characters? Anyone?

TIM and Jack. That's about it though. Maybe the dopey Shepard fanboy?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
The surgery sounds worthy it, plus hey fun drugs. The withdrawal is gonna be poo poo though. Literally in some cases.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

In Training posted:

Ive never beaten SMB3 warpless and Im playing through it now and beating every level and wow, its a hell of a game.

Good luck, poo poo's hard. I don't know if I'll ever be able to pull that off.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Bicyclops posted:

It's not so bad. There are levels at the end of World 5, the middle of World 6, and all of World 7 that make anybody want to scream, but you have infinite continues and they offer a lot of shortcuts via warp pipes for the levels that come back when you game over. (Also the World 8 Fortress is definitely hard, but a warp run isn't going to save you from that.)

I beat it back at release doing warps and using a P wing to get through that endless tank level in world 8. One of these days maybe I'll give a full run a try.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Nioh is an unholy union of *souls, Onimusha, and Bushido Blade. It is a lot of fun.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
MGR2 with Gray Fox would have been cool if Konami's games division didn't implode.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Real hurthling! posted:

so nioh is loving amazing. i did not expect the prologue to take place in england or the bad guy to be so in keeping with the tone of characters in ninja gaiden but it was loving awesome. gotta dig in tomorrow when i have more time.

Seriously. Gotta coop some time after you beat the first "real" mission and meet the mission guy.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

CJacobs posted:

It is done :hai:

Someone who's played it tell me when the spiders come in so I know when to anticipate their arrival.

I'm on mission 3 and still haven't seen them, so you can rest easy for a while at least.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Japanese video games are like all video games in that they can be good but also there are ones that suck really bad. See: a laundry list of terrible JRPG's on the PSP and Vita, Senran Kagura, the Mega Man X sequels, Other M...

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
82 degrees here. It's already getting to be summer in Texas.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Nate RFB posted:

I'd rather shovel snow every day than deal with a summer in Texas.

Texas summers, like most things about Texas, loving suck.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

My partner made this. Maybe time for a new av...

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
People not being hype about piano performances itt :gas:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

This isn't real right

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
It's almost as if gaming is supposed to be fun

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I like it in concept even if it's not my thing because I like the idea of people just having fun writing about games and dumb stories about games. It reminds me of all the silly poo poo I read in the letters section of Nintendo Power. Fans just having fun.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Phantasium posted:

A life not knowing about the Desert Storm gameboy isn't a life worth living.

And it still worked.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

CJacobs posted:

His articles about video games are way too socio-political

Oh nooooo we c...

Who cares

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Don't write about video games the wrong way.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

CJacobs posted:

He asked why I don't like Austin Walker, what do you mean "who cares"

edit: granted I don't think it was a genuine question

It was not. If people are writing about video games in a way that satisfies their intellectual curiosity and other people enjoy it, power to them. I'm not going to trash someone because they think about stories or characters a certain way. I like that people think about that just like I like that people really think about game design and pacing and other people really think about the art that goes into games and still others are really into the programming challenges. A ton of work goes into games so when fans really get into it and think about aspects of it, it's good in my opinion.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Erata posted:

They're asking the difficult questions of gaming.

I got your hard question right here.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Erata posted:

Waiting on some game theory articles about Mario not being a human.

The important part is if Mario will have a human girlfriend in New Donk City.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Mak0rz posted:

Peach is not his girlfriend. This has been canon for over 25 years!

That said, Pauline was also always human so I dunno what they're trying to imply.

Even if she was his girlfriend, she's canonically fungus. Did you guys even see the movie, come on!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Rosalina is an evolved star and Daisy is an evolved fire flower, obviously.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Lobok posted:

Who's the evolved Power Balloon?

Wario. And before you even ask, Waluigi is an evolved mustache.

FirstAidKite posted:

That was daisy!!

My theory is coming undone before my very eyes.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Nioh interspersed with occasional Future Tone. I've also been trucking through the DS Picross titles, just about done with e2.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Quest For Glory II posted:

That's not as bad as this one which i saw in my twitter feed but i dunno what site its from

This is what Turning Japanese is about

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
It's the gd Yoshi Initiative and Nintendo started it decades ago

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Greenlight would have worked better if people were voting but there was too much volume and energy for voting sputtered. If Valve doesn't want to hire people to curate and remains committed to getting that work done for free, placing some fee to publish (pref <= 250 USD) is not a lot to publish a game but also keeps out a fair amount of garbo so that it remains manageable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

5k is like, the profit margin for a lot of indie devs starting out. It sounds like a pretty lovely system.

I really doubt it would be 5k since that would present too much of a barrier of entry to small devs. Greenlight needs to be replaced with something and this system with a small fee sounds reasonable.

• Locked thread