Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
All the skate games are riddled with potentially hilarious glitches. Other than that though I've only encountered the really annoying or game ending ones. I couldn't finish Assassins Creed 3 or Arkham Asylum due to quest things just not spawning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Most games that have fall damage would be more fun without fall damage.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Adding to the post above, inventory limits in item heavy games are always bullshit anti-fun roadblocks. I've never run out of inventory space and thought "dope, just like real life".

Looking at you, Stardew Valley. I would love that game even more if I didn't have to spend time at the end of every in game day organizing my items.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

poverty goat posted:

I love how you guys demand ultra realism when it would actually suck, like realistic AI in a stealth game or I guess hoofing it to a shop every time you need ammo instead of crafting it from tin cans, but then you're so loving lazy and ocd that you demand infinite inventory so you can just loot everything and carry all the guns and ammo without having to think or manage anything. It's almost like you are all zybourne clock level game developers itc and you have no clue what makes a good game

Sorting my inventory every 30 minutes makes a good game. I especially love it when I throw away something I'll need later causing me to backtrack and waste time.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Better yet get the randomizer mod. It lets any part spawn on any gun with any stats so every gun you find is hilariously broken in some way.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I think wrt Borderlands 2, the second playthrough is the sweet spot. You've got enough skill points to get some really fun skills but you don't really need to grind or fight bullet sponges like in the 3rd playthrough and OP levels.

Alternately just play mania Krieg and you'll never have to worry about guns.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Wizards are just archers with longer attack animations

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Ograbme posted:

I can barely tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps. But when I do, 60 looks worse.

Lucky. Once I got used to 100+ FPS anything lower started to look blurry and jerky. Also some games will render the world at my monitor's framerates but certain ingame enemy animations are still locked to 60fps and it's really disorienting.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Shibawanko posted:

In games where you design levels, like Mario Maker or Megaman Maker, it's much easier to make ridiculously difficult Kaizo type levels than it is to actually make a well balanced level that has an appropriate challenge level.

Actual kaizo levels (as in levels influenced by Kaizo Mario World in some way) are incredibly difficult to make and even more difficult to make fun. If you're talking about the enemy spam garbage, hidden key garbage, and 99% of NSMB speedrun levels you get in super expert then yeah, I agree that they get less fun as the clear rate goes down.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I still haven't gotten around to Link Between Worlds, was it a worthy top-down Zelda game?

It is hands down the best 2D Zelda.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

is pepsi ok posted:

Everyone's aware of this. It just doesn't matter because there's a huge chunk of people who will throw money at anything with Mario, Zelda, or Pokemon branding.

It also helps that the games are generally very good.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Borderlands is a good and fun game to play.

I didn't realize what a hot take this was prior to the BL3 announcement.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Zzulu posted:

Anyone who plays videogames is an idiot, an utter fool

We only get so much time on this earth, in this life. What kind of sane man would spend that time playing "video games"

Don't depression shame

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Barudak posted:

In my opinion there should only be one "difficulty mode" and then a variety of assistance or hindrances you select. Developers get to focus on finding the exact perfect balance and vision while people who want adjustments still have the option without being locked into set packages or having to play different content.

Dirt Rally does this really well. It's a hard as balls rally racing sim but has options for steering assist, braking assist, etc to the point where it feels super arcadey with everything on. As you get better you can turn assists off one by one.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Shadow Warrior 2 had some really satisfying gore.

Maybe unpopular: 22 years later and Final Fantasy Tactics is still the best SRPG. The dual class system owns and grids are way better than free movement.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Twelve Batmans posted:

FFT is good but it's broken to poo poo and back. Beautiful sprite work, amazing sound design- I can still hear the SFX for an arrow being nocked and shot- great sidequests with dumb fun characters. The random battle system is great too for keeping a challenge (for newer players) if you've over-leveled for the story fights.

I still have a hard time thinking of characters who were a bigger rear end in a top hat than Delita. Don't even try to defend him.

Yeah Orlandu or however it's spelled makes the second half of the game pretty easy. The first couple chapters keep a pretty good difficulty curve if you don't over level or go straight for broken builds like ninja with equip sword and move+3.

The story was great too and the updated translation for the PSP version makes it way more comprehensible. It's hard not to draw parallels with ASOIAF - a supernatural threat appears during a war following a succession crisis.

Algus was a way bigger rear end in a top hat imo.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Kind of, but the Wii U is a better pick for that distinction imo.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Every single main Zelda and Mario game (except Odyssey and I think Sunshine) is playable on the Wii U. It had two different e-shops that had huge virtual console catalogs and some really solid HD remasters. Apart from some random picks the switch really just has ports from NES and last gen.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
My coworkers are all really into Sea of Thieves. No idea if it's good but it sounds fun the way they talk about it.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

ratbert90 posted:

The Switch Pro controller is the best controller ever made.

It's almost there. If it had analog triggers it'd be perfect.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I'm pretty sure every Borderlands fan has been worried about that since 2k told their investors that every product they publish would have microtransactions.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Pyrus Malus posted:

I know a dude who refuses to play any bl game co-op and will only play solo. I've always wondered what happened to him to cause that kind of preference to happen because it's gotta be dark.

This is me and I prefer playing alone because I hate waiting for other people or feeling rushed by other people when I'm playing a non-competitive game, I just want to relax and play at my own pace and not worry about anyone else. Also I hate the process of dividing up loot, like "oh poo poo a legendary, I'll take this one but you can have the next one" and then "oh poo poo another legendary. well this one fits my build better than yours so I'll take it."

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Ocarina of time was boring and tedious, it is held up due to nostalgia.

Wind waker is superior.

Did... did you finish Wind Waker?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Breath of the Wild would be so much better if it had the standard puzzle dungeon>new item>new possibilities flow. Giving you all of your tools in the tutorial area was a bit of a misstep.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Eh. It has gotten easier but you still have to be willing to tinker with stuff if something doesn't work properly. When I got Dying Light I had to do some ini tweaks to get it to run. Consoles don't require that at all.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Oldstench posted:

What are those things that BoTW doesn't have?

Item based progression, primarily. Also sprawling puzzle dungeons with unique boss fights but the Divine Beasts were pretty cool too. I'm not on the "BOTW sucked" train but I really hope they bring classic Zelda style items back in the next game.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Mario Maker 2 is going to be the best game on the Switch

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

internet celebrity posted:

Mario Maker 2 is going to be the best game on the Switch

Updating this scalding hot take now that e3 is over.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Magnitogorsk. posted:

You arent missing anything, the plot doesnt matter at all. DS3 is probably the best one even though DS1 is an absolute classic. DS2 is worth playing just for more dark souls even though its not nearly as good

all of this also applies to the Bioshock series.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

food court bailiff posted:

do you guys remember when sony was like "poo poo those smash bros fans are insane, lets get us some of that" and tried to make a character mascot fighter, except they forgot they don't actually have really any mascots anymore, so the roster was full of some generic white shootmans, kratos, an evil version of one of the generic white guys, a cartoon dog whose last game was released eleven years ago, fat princess, and a big daddy from bioshock (which was an xbox 360/windows exclusive on release)? because that was genuinely very funny

also that game was super unfun and tedious to play, which meant that it's (seriously) very cool mashup levels were totally wasted

Also had the worst name of any game in history: Playstation All Stars Battle Royale. Like there were two groups of people fighting over what to call it so they said gently caress it and used both names.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Mass Effect is a tedious slog in 2019. I own it on steam and tried to play it a few times but I've never gotten more than a couple hours in.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Is Diablo 3 on Switch good or should I just stick to pc?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I think there’s a broader range of things you can do with mouse/keyboard

Yeah I mean if you have a controller you can't even move in exactly 8 directions.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Doom 2016 has the best video game soundtrack of all time.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Caesar Saladin posted:

its just a bunch of chonky industrial metal

the best video game music is actually the Mario kart 8 soundtrack, nintendos big jazz band is great

gently caress that's a good point actually, Dolphin Shoals is next level poo poo.

Doom is great though because I'm a production nerd and a lot of really neat ideas went into creating the sounds. One of my favorite videos on YouTube is the composer talking about how he made the soundtrack at GDC a few years ago.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
The steam controller would have actually been good if it had a real d-pad on the left. The track pad on the right and the gyros were genuinely really cool and playing games like Cities Skylines on the couch was dope but it was useless for anything that required precise movement like platformers.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Witcher 3 is better than any bethe$da

True, but it's still on the decent side of mediocre.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
^ Hexen and Heretic were better than anything in the early Doom series.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

dudeness posted:

When Amnesia came out some people talked about its brilliance because you couldn't fight back. But the downside to that is eventually you stop getting scared (for me at least) and just get bored.

Yeah this has always been a problem with horror games for me. The first time I die immediately reminds me that I'm playing a video game and then the horror is gone. A good horror game needs A+ level design to work well - you have to be on edge but always figure out what to do at the last second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
All team based competitive multiplayer games are bad and not fun. Except for Splatoon. Splatoon owns.