Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Video games will absolutely never be a good medium to address serious issues.

This War of Mine - Any% in 5:18

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
higher (120+) framerates absolutely help in games like counterstrike. it's not even a matter of opinion

https://frames-per-second.appspot.com/
compare 60 and 120fps here with motion blur off (assuming your monitor can do 120hz)

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

credburn posted:

Do people still play Counter-Strike? I thought that mod would have died off once Natural Selection became a thing.

counterstrike and its lovely spinoffs are wildly successful microtransaction fests while natural selection has already been relegated to obscurity

God is real. He hates us.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
here's an unpopular opinion I formed when I was ten and can't seem to let go:

mario 64 has nothing in common with real mario games and, furthermore, it sucks rear end

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

!Klams posted:

I'll do you one better: The N64 was only a success because some people hadn't played PC games or other consoles yet.

i think it was the 4 controllers. i never owned an n64 when it was new so i don't have much nostalgia for it but over the years the one i got secondhand has lots of mileage from mario party, smash 64, mario cart, golden eye, etc. lots of party games that still hold up

it was always weird to me that the ps2 only had two controllers

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
who the gently caress wants to listen to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_XXoC2AUOA

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

SCheeseman posted:

Mario 64 is mechanically a Donkey Kong game, it takes much of it's move set (and slower paced environmental puzzle vibes) from the Gameboy remake/sequel.

you are totally right and it is causing me some cognitive dissonance because i like that gameboy game but not mario 64

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
agreed, they both go on the Good list

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

Serephina posted:

Am I missing the joke? IIRC Quake had no exposition, apart maybe from a text popup on maybe two stages when you flicked a switch and they told you that something moved.

quake (like doom) was originally designed with lots of characters and plot but it was all scrapped because such things aren't interesting enough programming challenges for jon carmack. that is my extremely reductionist take on it, anyway

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i don't understand how people dislike black & white. i thought (almost) everything about it was so delightful and fun and enthralling. i spent dozens of hours in the first level alone. then again, there wasn't much of a point in playing the other ones.

i agree that they should have just let it be a sandbox/puzzle game and not bothered with the half baked rts elements. even so, my unpopular opinion is b&w is extremely good. like, one of the best games ever made

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

Vic posted:

Let's not go that far, the later levels were a slog to play through and they steal your pet too which is like half the gameplay gone. It then turns to a really tedious RTS with less mechanics than populous. You probably just experienced it at the right age of 10-15.

oh yeah, this is certainly true. i was 13 and i was (and continue to be) enamored by games that simulate little worlds/systems/minds. b&w is one of the most polished examples of that if you just ignore, you know, most of the game

related: the same problem of "cool unique concept awkwardly shoehorned into an rts" happened to dungeonkeeper. another molyneux joint iirc

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

Serephina posted:

Yes DK2's combat was simplistic and unfixable as such, but the combat was still the right type of spice.

I really don't think it was. It was billed as a reverse dungeon crawler where you build a dungeon full of traps and monsters and then heros would invade. It was like that for a few levels but eventually it broke down to you build a base until you bump into the enemy dungeon at which point you pick up all your monsters and drop them on the enemy, hoping you had more dudes than them. like they didn't even have to walk, the best strategy was to pick them up and drop them into one big decisive brawl. If there are ever dudes in your dungeon past a certain level, something has gone wrong. total bait and switch on the reverse rpg idea.

I still really like dk because I will play basically any rts, but I think the mechanics fail to deliver on the original intent even worse than b&w

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
gospel. you are 100% right about stormgate. the art/setting looks so goddam boring and it will fail for the same reason harley davidson is failing: they are trying to sell new things to a group of people defined by a dislike of new things.

but yes, i'm going to play it

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
the meteorologist on the local news keeps talking about stormfronts. loving chuds have gotten too bold

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
this isn't the thread for this discussion but you can't just stop using normal-rear end words because racist idiots have used them. in fact, it seems critical to not let racist idiots annex large swathes of language and culture without resistance

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

Duck and Cover posted:

I don't think mocking those who do accomplishes anything positive.

fair point. i didn't mean to mock anyone, sorry about that. dog whistles are certainly real and crop up in unexpected places. i still contend that interpreting benign phrases this way actively helps the nazis shift their meaning and that worms is a cannon fodder clone.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
:getin:

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
I was impressed at how non-linear the story was in Sacrifice. It always ends up in the same place, but you have a lot of influence over how things unfold to get there. I don't think I've seen another game do a branching plot in quite the same way.

the actual game part was kind of a slog

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
on the one hand making a fun videogame out of the worst event in human history is perhaps gauche

on the other hand

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
obra dinn is really fun to play with a friend or two over

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
my least favorite video game activity is third person hack and slash. like devil may cry or god of war or, yes, the souls games to a lesser extent. it puts me to sleep and your inputs feel really disconnected from what is happening. oops i accidentally pressed the a button twice so now i have to sit here while my dude is locked into doing a four second combo at the air

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
he's a crackpot with unlimited resolve. that's slightly different than a hack

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i really like the general overarching story of ds1. it's like a big-bang/entropy sort of deal dressed up with fantasy tropes. the world was homogenous and orderly until a cataclysmic event brought disparity. from disparity comes everything that makes up the world as we know it, including us. the world world is inevitably moving back towards homogeneity, though. the party has to end eventually.

ds1 is about people attempting to escape that fate and making a big mess of things.

I like the story and general ambiance of dark souls, but I think the experience of actually playing it is meh. the combat feels clunky and is generally not my cup of tea. also I think it's dumb that you need to look at the wiki to make a viable character. it's even worse in elden ring where there are half a dozen schools of magic that are completely useless while others are easy mode. it's like they didn't put any thought towards balance between the builds/weapons/magics at all

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
it makes me wonder how lies of p could possibly be a good game. they took dark souls, kept everything i don't like about it, and replaced the good parts with... pinocchio? huh.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
start with silent hill 2

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
the last time i was afraid of a video game it was doom 2, and I was nine.

amnesia is kind of scary until the first time a monster catches you and then all of the suspense and mystery is drained from the game. basically, i agree with the person who said only the first bit of a game can be truly scary. i liked soma, but it never had me feeling afraid.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Videogames already have a better general term and it's Souls-like

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
they are called nintendos

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

let's not waste our time with ridiculous hypotheticals

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
if i'm playing video games they are either
- multiplayer with discord in the background to keep in touch with old friends or
- weird rear end indie games from finland

it's PC for me

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

the brochure said there'd only be a few dwarves

dwarf fortress is best when you only have a handful of dwarves so you can actually get to know them and their opinions about cave spider silk socks or whatever

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Star Citizens quest for fidelity has made them a game

about that...

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
after seeing golden eye for the first time as an idiot kid i thought to myself "this is it. this is perfect realism. graphics can't possibly get any better than this." specifically, it was when another play switch weapons and their character's world model changed to reflect it.

i'm not sure what the moral of the story is, but it's funny to think back on

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i'm willing to bet some version of the pc vs console debate has been playing out in one thread or another continuously since the very dawn of the sa forums

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
they should make a dune flavored crusader kings. most of the book, by volume, is about nobles being lovely weirdos which crusader kings has already figured out how to turn into a game

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i haven't played it, but from what i understand part of the appeal is that the game doesn't realize how odd it is.

like, it's fun to watch bad B movies if they are being earnest, but it's less fun when they are in on the joke.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
there is something about gamified romance and sex that seems gross to me. not just because it's "cringe" (which it is) but, like, there is something morally not okay going on. i can't put my finger on why i feel that way about sex in games but not violence.
:911: values?

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

fridge corn posted:

It's because video game characters have no agency and cannot consent to sex

yeah but i'm pretty sure none of the civilians in cruelty squad consented when i kicked them apart and sold their organs on the stock market either.

growing up with video games is like being raised by zardoz. simple as

MSPain fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 12, 2024

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
you know what, yeah. playing a game where you are a matchmaker sounds adorable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
shmups are great. let me share the ruins of a paleolithic youtube channel from some guy with a deep southern drawl reviewing shumps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_D5qAwerOk

it's an important record of how our ancestors used to play shmups during religious rituals