Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

kustomkarkommando posted:

That feel when Labour voters quietly mumble thanks to the unelected ermine fringed upper house

Second largest Lords vote turnout of the modern era too, according to this

http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/LIF-2017-0014

This puts May's "Article 50 by the end of March" timetable in doubt, unless the Government accepts the amendment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Dead Goon posted:

I wonder if Baron Lloyd-Webber managed to turn up?

He was mentioned in passing tweets as being there. Incidentally, for all your House of Lords needs, can I recommend following Esther Webber @estwebber who covers the place for the BBC, and who is much more amusing than strictly necessary for the role.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Where's the 36 grand p/a pension from? That's not the Leader of the Opposition increment in the wrong column is it?

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Namtab posted:

He's a pensioner, mp pension probably.

Back of the envelope calculation says that this is likely the right answer, assuming 1/50th accrual. Lucky MPs, getting to vest pension rights, and still draw the salary.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I'm curious as to what Jez's explanation for the discrepancy is.

Simplest answer is that he doesn't take the extra salary, maybe.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I was wondering that because I would have thought that leader of the opposition would be a labour party salary rather than a governmental one.

No it's a government one. Shadow Chief Whip gets paid more too, I think.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Huh, odd, I know the PM gets more but I thought everyone else was just a sort of fiat position created by the government.

Page 3 of this pdf breaks down who gets more than basic MP salary

https://www.parliament.uk/documents/commons-information-office/m06.pdf

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I also apparently didn't know that the PM salary was paid on top of the MP salary.

The PM still has the same responsibilities as an ordinary MP towards their constituency, so it makes sense to do it that way. The loss of opportunity for a constituent of a PM to actually meet their MP is more than handsomely compensated by the heft that the constituency office gains - no council official will welcome a call from the PMs office about Mrs Miggins' blocked drain, after all.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Pistol_Pete posted:

lol if we endup shamefacedly knocking the whole idea on the head in 2019.

This is currently the best-case scenario. "Sorry everyone, rush of blood and all that"

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

and i must meme posted:

How bad is it really going to get? Like is everyone just overreacting or is this really going to be as bad as people are implying?

It has the potential to be a disaster, an unprecedented act of economic suicide for a mature western democracy. There is no aspect of our national life that will not be impacted by Brexit. There is no outcome that will be better than the status quo.

The Government hasn't even began to grasp the scale of the task ahead of them, and the Civil Service who will be tasked with the gigantic amounts of work needed is not remotely capable of carrying all that work out in any timely fashion. The resources just aren't there.

So that's all good.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

jBrereton posted:

There are outcomes that would be better than the status quo, which is mediocre training and stagnant/falling wages for a lot of British workers, especially young men. Certainly further education could do with some improvement and a perception that we might have to train people properly instead of just importing them could help with that.

I hope you are right. Losing tarriff-free access to the gigantic market on our doorstep isn't exactly going to help with the wages aspect though.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

kingturnip posted:

I'm not sure this is accurate. My take is that the Govt is starkly aware of how hosed they are and are busy publically ostriching and dead-catting to avoid having the red-tops ask just when May will be ready to give Jerry and Francois a good kicking.

They are certainly starting to realize, I think, with some of the bigger ticket items. Something like the Euratom agreement seemed to be complete news to them, and there'll be thousands of knotty problems buried deep in the last four decades worth of legislation.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

jBrereton posted:

We'll see what happens with regards to everything in due course. Wouldn't throw yourselves on a calamity that hasn't happened yet, though, bad for your health.

The Tories in Parliament aren't fully on board at all. There's a handful in the Commons who've already rebelled, and more who would do so if there was a chance that a Govt motion could be defeated. But that is contingent on there being a majority against. That stupid oval office Corbyn whipped *for* the Government position. It really is the perfect storm of idiocy.

It's all David Cameron's fault though. A Prime Minister in control of his own party - and he had a decade to do so - would never have allowed such a daft open ended referendum. A rich boy, playing the game of politics as a game, and playing it badly. drat him.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

jabby posted:

gently caress off. Article 50 had no chance of being blocked regardless of the whipping position of Labour. The amendments had Labour support and the Tories didn't rebel on them in any significant numbers.

A government with a narrow majority needs to be opposed (or at least held to account) robustly. Every day, every vote, every TV slot, every radio slot, every attack countered, every position analysed.

Oh sorry, I forgot; the London oval office student debating society are in charge, preening themselves in an ideological mirror, loving up for actual working class people.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

And yes, Article 50 is revocable in a legal sense

That hasn't been tested in the court that can decide that matter. The recent UK court cases proceeded on the basis that A50 is irrevocable - by agreement by both sides - so if the SC didn't kick it up to CJEU then that's that.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Jose posted:

Osborne just got himself a new job as the editor of the evening standard

I follow far too many media types on twitter. My feed is now just a procession of journos tweeting the word "What"

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

The amount of insanely bad ideas that Churchill came up with and managed to get put into practice is staggering.

Have you read Alan Brooke's Diaries? The ratio insanely bad ideas:got put into practice is maybe not what you thought.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Paxman posted:

Sometimes, spirits in the Labour Party can run high

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/843947779957248000

A rallying cry for the ages.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Paxman posted:

He sounds to me like a Play School presenter explaining that Big Ted *chortle* can sometimes be a bit naughty.

This is why the round window is not the correct window, boys and girls.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Pochoclo posted:

Looking forward to much more stringent immigration controls that will help prevent absolutely nothing.

Various newsy twitterers are naming the perp as Abu Izzadeen, who was born as Trevor Brooks in Hackney, so maybe not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Izzadeen

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Channel 4 News just lost a lot of money in a libel case if this is true.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Cerv posted:

He could theoretically sue, but the judge would laugh him out of court when they got on to he damage to his reputation.

Yeah, having read up on the twat it's clear that - while he was undoubtedly libeled - the damage to his reputation is going to be in the tens of pounds range, if that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

LemonDrizzle posted:

this is us, this is

That's, that's...just horrifically bad. These vermin need to be stopped.

• Locked thread