Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Last thread but...

quote:

Since it's quiet again, here's something else from the archives: A UKIP FAQ, circa 1998 - http://web.archive.org/web/19981207...oulsby/ukip.htm. I like this part:

ukip posted:

Q What is your alternative to being a member of the EU?

A This is a trick question. The alternative to committing suicide is simply not to commit suicide. It is not to become a ballet dancer or a lion tamer.
Poor Voltaire must be spinning in his loving grave to be ripped off by these halfwits :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

and i must meme posted:

what are positive right wingers like?

Hitler on 30th April 1945 is my kind of right winger, and a positive role model for his followers.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Seaside Loafer posted:

First one I ever saw was the most tentacle rapey one I think ive ever seen. It was lets see ... 22 years ago and they randomly started letting the hard 18 rated anime films in computer game shops for some reason, so it had the famous motorbike one with Kaneda and Tetsuo but it also had this. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108461/ . That's like 2 of hours demons raping young looking girls. That was a bit of an eye opener and no mistake.

I've considered anime as an art form objectively over the years and tbh it does seem to have a tiny bit of raping and young girls and stuff. Just saying.

In my very first job after leaving school (i had no internet and had never heard of anime) a guy i worked with gave me this apropos of nothing and was like "have you ever heard of anime? No? Check this out!"

And that was my first and last experience with this depravity.

Death to anime.

(Actually i watched Planetes a few years ago on the recommendation of a cool dude and it was genuinely enjoyable. But that's it i swear.)

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

"Graun posted:

Leading homelessness charities whose remit is to protect vulnerable rough sleepers have been passing information about some of them to the Home Office, leading to their removal from the UK.

A report from Corporate Watch, The Round Up, reveals concerns about homelessness charities’ links to immigration enforcement and comes at a time of increasing disquiet about the involvement of landlords, schools and the NHS with immigration enforcement.
:whitewater:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Today's the 100th anniversary of the start of the February Revolution. Workers from the Putilov factory in Petrograd (the largest in the city & a key industry providing artillery for the war) joined women celebrating International Women's Day & people upset at the new food rationing ended up flooding the streets demanding an end to rationing, to the war & the autocracy. When other workers from other factories joined in, 50,000 were on the streets. The following day, that number quadrupled. By March 10th, almost every factory in the city was closed by striking workers, 250,000 people taking the streets. By the 12th the Petrograd Soviet came into being, successor to the 1905 St Petersburg Soviet & the Central Workers' Group formed by the Mensheviks in 1915. And the rest, as they say, is the Bolsheviks repressing and betraying the worker's revolution in order to effect a brutal dictatorship
:trotsay: but also for real

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Pochoclo posted:

Tories should hire Bitcoin "analysts". The UK economy is going up uP UP!!

i just coming t post this gently caress yOU!!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

jabby posted:

This Surrey Council thing also doesn't seem to be going away...
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/839550739785605120
https://twitter.com/bbcpeterh/status/839540768759037960
1% battery loving shameful

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

I voted remain because I hate the EU and all its inhabitants and thought Britain could do a better job of bringing it down from the inside.

You are Sir Humphrey Appleby and I claim my five pounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37iHSwA1SwE

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Seaside Loafer posted:

Pudgy sweaty pig loving oval office.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I haven't paid for music, tv "boxsets", films, or video games since like 2004. I pirate basically everything.
Sometimes I'll buy books hardcopy, but more often rip them from bookzz. Ama.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I think for me it's mostly that i can't stand the content-as-servive model. When i want an album i want it on my computer in a universal format like mp3 so i can quickly and easily play it anywhere on almost any device, without needing login credentials or proprietary apps.

For sure there are certain places where you can do this for a limited amount of content, but frankly it's just easier to hit up a torrent site or soulseek. I got sick of having my poo poo spread across itunes, amazon, netflix, wherever. Now i just have a biggass folder called "movies" and everything just works.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
My nan was Irish and I'm seriously considering taking my automatic Irish citizenship just to maintain an easy escape route from this shithole.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
They're all a bunch of loving scroungers.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
There was an attempt in WW2 to make households partly self sufficient in foodstuffs with the Victory Gardens. Didn't really work though.

It is scary just how vulnerable most first world countries are in terms of food, though. It's a bulket in the head of the idea of any really meaningful social reform, because the first time any left wing government says the word "nationalisation" then it's BAM trade emargo by uncle sam and we're all eating grass or clay for loving dinner.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I always make a point of tearing up a copy of the evening standard on my commute home. Now I'll feel encouraged to tear up two since Gideon's going to be the editor.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Tom Watson attacks Momentum-Unite Labour 'plot'
The unions are plotting to destroy the party of labour! :jerkbag:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Fangz posted:

Because if we don't get to the stage where we can tell each other that even if there is disagreements, at least Labour candidates mean well and should be trusted, then we will never be able to make the case to ordinary voters that they should vote Labour.

A lot of them don't, and can't, dipshit.
You think the history of neoliberalism as practiced by New Labour was motivated by concern for the working poor?

gently caress why am I even bothering, you're as worthless as pissfalps.

Wait no, at least old flaps is funny every once in a while....

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

namesake posted:

Yeah that's always been the utterly obvious flaw in these checkpoints; they just move the people queuing further out of the protective layers of security and make them easier to attack.

Modern airport security is to protect the planes and things below the flightpath more than they are protecting passengers.
Responses to terrorism have almost always been about protecting capital, rather than people.
The IRA knocked off civilians by the score without the government really batting an eye. But once they leveled a few hundred million quid's worth of real estate in Canary Wharf and Manchester the govt got round the table right quick.

In the government mindset people are regrettably acceptable casualties. Capital isn't - if only because the owners of capital can put a poo poo load more pressure on the government than any number of whinging, mutilated proles.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Cheerful article on NHS privatisation from the Private Eye website:

quote:

ACCORDING to Professor Sir Mike Richards, chief inspector of hospitals, the NHS stands on a “burning platform” with 11 percent of trusts rated inadequate by the Care Quality Commission (CQC) and 70 percent requiring improvement. Understaffing and overcrowding put patients and staff at risk every day.
Meanwhile, private providers lead by Virgin Care are busy “conquering the community care space”, says HealthInvestor magazine. “A market worth around £10bn has suddenly become a private affair.” Virgin has already hoovered up more than 400 health, social care and local authority services’ contracts, worth more than £1bn. It’s “quite the portfolio”, according to HealthInvestor, and other companies are lining up to conquer what’s left. “The chance to drink in a £9bn pool is tantalising.”

There is a clear underfunding and privatising trend in NHS and local authority services. Between April 2013 and April 2016, 45 percent of the community health services that were put out to tender went to non-NHS providers. Private operators now run the following:

GP and out-of-hours services
Walk-in centres and minor injury units
District nursing
Diabetes, musculoskeletal, audiology, dermatology, physiotherapy, podiatry, rheumatology, mental health and other chronic disease services
Not to mention urgent care, phlebotomy, anti-coagulation, sexual health, wheelchair services, prison healthcare, community hospitals, neuro-rehabilitation, frail and elderly care, health visiting, services for children with complex mental, physical and sensory learning difficulties, social care for adults and children, and end-of-life care.

The whole range of community healthcare has now been privatised while Theresa May and Jeremy Hunt – and Tony Blair and Alan Milburn before them – have the gall to repeat the lie that the NHS is not for sale. The NHS has outsourced its very essence – much of the complex, difficult care that requires close collaboration and team working has been contracted out. Virgin argues that such care was fragmented when the NHS offered it and that it has a much better chance of joining it up under one organisation. The more it hoovers up, the more it can join up.
Former health secretary Andrew Lansley’s Health and Social Care Act has allowed companies like Virgin to aggressively tender for any service they want, and to legally challenge the award of any contract that doesn’t allow them to make a pitch. That pitch is deceptively simple. “Our aim is to make a real difference to people’s lives by offering NHS and social care services that are better than what went before, a great experience for everyone and better value for the public and the NHS.”

When the NHS pitches for services it tends to be far more downbeat, citing the reality of trying to keep an underfunded, understaffed service afloat in the face of rising public demand and expectation. It’s easy to see how the clinical commissioning groups and local authorities who award the contracts fall for the optimistic swagger of Virgin. The company generally employs the NHS staff who were providing the services previously, and gives them smart phones, colour printers and other gadgets you have to fight for in the NHS. It claims that 93 percent of customers recommend its services to friends and family. If it can provide better services than the NHS for the same cost or less, then why not?

NHS commissioners are often naïve (remember PFI?), and get turned over in contracts, which companies stick to aggressively. “If it’s not in the contract, we’re not doing it” rarely equates with universal healthcare. Yet despite some tough negotiating, Virgin Care has yet to make a profit in seven years doing business. In the year ending 31 March 2015, turnover was reported as £40.38m leading to a gross profit of £5.2m, but with administrative expenses of more than £20m, the company made a loss of £9.1m. When will shareholders start demanding it balances the books and cuts back on smart phones?

Virgin recently lost its community services contract for children in Surrey. As a whistleblower told the Eye: “Virgin Care are now concentrating on recouping as much money as possible […] threatening removal of laptops and mobile phones with little thought for safe transfer of care. They have been restricting information sharing with the new provider and talking about intellectual property rights. Many staff are feeling anxious about being able to carry on with ‘business as usual’ on 1 April.” Meanwhile, the government is launching 10-year multi-specialty community provider contracts to take the pressure off hospitals. “It’s another lucrative opportunity for the private sector,” says HealthInvestor.

M.D.
:suicide: Thank god for Big Tone, eh?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Fangz posted:

Not sure
Yeah, that's you all over, but it don't stop you making GBS threads up the thread with your worthless opinions.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Zephro posted:

Imagine you're a policeman wanting to do some dodgy, under-the-table hacking of those drat dirty Greenpeace types who, as well all know, are the single biggest threat this country faces. You could do it yourself, or you could do what everyone else is doing and outsource that poo poo to India:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/21/ipcc-investigates-claims-police-used-hackers-to-read-protesters-emails-jenny-jones
IF YOU HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE YOU HAVE NOTHING TO FEAR :godwinning:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Seaside Loafer posted:

They would loose though wouldn't they, so kind-of a flawed concept. A flawed concept that means loads of people dieing and resources wasted on military crap instead of nice things. Who is the head guy in charge of Daesh, just stick him on the phone to me and i'll talk some sense into him, im sure he is a reasonable bloke once you get to know him, just got to talk some logic with him :)

There was some Liverpudlian football firm a year or two back on twitter or loving somewhere. Anyway they offered to meat Daesh in an underpass for a kicking to sort it all out.
I liked that.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Seaside Loafer posted:

I'll do a bit of stereotyping/casual racism to counter the deluge that is going to hit the papers tomorrow, why do most male coppers look like white pudgy shaved thumb-heads? Its very a very common observable thing if you look out for it. Not saying they are all like that or anything, I know a copper who has hair and isnt a nazi.

The filth is the natural environment of any angry white bloke too fat and stupid for the army.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Your comment is topical: the policeman that died yesterday in the terrorist attack had been in the army before joining the police.
I didn't say people from the army dont join the police. I said people too thick for the army are definitely the sort to go into the police.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Christ you're a dickhead.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Suicide is kinda liberalised, but in the worst kind of way. It's legal unless you're so ill that you need someone to help. Unless you're royalty.

I think they pumped Edward VII with enough morphine to kill an elephant when it was his time to shuffle off, apparently partly motivated by a desire for the death to be reported in the morning edition of the Times.

The Graun did a Long Read on royal death and succession just recently.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

I thought that was George V
Might well have been!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Simon Jenkins in good article shocker: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/24/coverage-westminster-attack-media-politicians

quote:

Don’t fill pages of newspapers and hours of television and radio with words like fear, menace, horror, maniac, monster. Don’t let the mayor rush into print, screaming “don’t panic”. Don’t have the media trawl the world for pundits to speculate on “what Isis wants” and “how hard it is to protect ourselves from attack”. Don’t present London as a horror movie set. Don’t crave a home-grown Osama bin Laden. In other words, don’t pretend you are “carrying on as usual” when you are doing the precise opposite. When the prime minister stands up in parliament to announce, “We are not afraid,” the response is “why then is the entire government machine behaving as if it’s poo poo-scared?”

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Cerv posted:

Some good news for Labour for once. Not that this actually gives them any power over the regulation of the finance industry in the City though.

https://www.ft.com/content/c886bf4a-1067-11e7-b030-768954394623

There's so much rank stupidity in the arrangements of the City council, and in the statements made in this article, that I don't even know where to begin.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

LemonDrizzle posted:

Douglas Carswell has left UKIP to sit as an independent MP, leaving the party with zero MPs and zero Short money: http://www.talkcarswell.com/home/job-done--thank-ukip/3237

According to this BBC article they just lost about £650,000 a year :laffo:

That being said, with the poo poo Aaron Banks was sying about potentially winding up the party, they may be on their way out as a party anyway. I look forward to all the same cunts forming a new party called NorseFire in the next year or two...

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Seaside Loafer posted:

I dont know im just kind of in favor of people being paid for their time, call me an old traditionalist if you like.

What're you some kind of communist??

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Im an expert on hastags lads. I'm honna work for gchq decoding the terrorists' twitters

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

XMNN posted:

lol the sun has gone full fash with its front page today

I aint buying or reading it to find out, but equally disgusting is the way they've splashed that prick's daughter all over their front page.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Man, just let anybody have an abortion for whatever reason they want and content yourself with knowing that anybody having a sex-selective abortion is within their rights to control what happens to their own body, but is probably a piece of poo poo.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
It's okay to say both that the soldiers were cunts who deserve to rot, while also acknowledging that they are the product of a deliberately dehumanising and borderline abusive system that trains them to kill, and to consider killing to be not only justifiable but a positive good.

A perpetrator can be a victim. One of the big problems in our society, i reckon, is that talking about causal factors in crime gets you labelled as "soft on crime" by the Mail brigade - unless the criminal is one of ARE BOYS, apparently, in which case all the circumstances miraculously conspure to make the perpetrator completely innocent.

Anyway i'm going to loving bed.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

The Daily Mail is losing readers, just not as fast as any of the other papers.

Papers are definitely on the way out, which is why journalism has become so screeching partisan and shoddy of late, because there's no money to pay for quality work and papers are doubling down on whatever their perceived viewpoint is to hang onto the voters they have left. It's why it's so frustrating that the the British political system pays so much heed to the whims of the newspapers, since they represent an ever diminishing and extreme section of society.

Problem is that although a tiny percentage of the population (like 3% iirc) buys a daily newspaper, those newspapers and their newsrooms continue to be the pipeline via which news enters the public consciousness. Their influence doesn't come from their readership as such, it comes from their ability to frame issues, and decide how they're first presented to the public. They kind of taint the water at the source.
For all the people talk up poo poo like Twitter as the new media if you follow any scandal there back to the source you'll probably find a Mail or HuffPo article at the beginning.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Why even bother with an april thread we're all gonna die anyhow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I'm working on some papers from around about the time franchise was extended to women in Australia, and was just tickled by this:

quote:

I have no news at all except of course that we women all voted for the first time. It was a great day and one felt so thoroughly important. Alice and I voted for the Free Traders as the Protectionists were all Labour men - but we are really Protectionists.
:fuckoff:

• Locked thread