Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda Zelda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I can't believe that nintendo is, at long last, doomed

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

So I know very little about the Switch tbh, is it just a Zelda machine for now?

Pretty much. The indie line up for the rest of the year looks promising but other than that the next big release we know of is Mario at the holidays.

Personally I won't be getting it yet since I have no problem playing Zelda on the Wii U, but I'm sure I'll get one eventually once there's more stuff out for it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In Training posted:

Splatoon this summer is when Im jumping in. Only reason I'm not picking it up now tbh is that it's still possible (likely?) for their initial slate of announcements to be delayed since nothing really has a date outside of Zelda.

Oops I embarassingly forgot about Splat2n that's definitely a big one too

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Don't doxx me

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dr Cheeto posted:

Why do you single out five-point systems? What makes them worse than ten- or twenty-point systems?

The more points the more better

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

I made the mistake of comparing the Switch and Wii U visuals for Zelda and the Wii U version's pretty awful color contrast is sort of a dealbreaker :negative:

I know, I know, this shouldn't matter to me, but it's noticeable enough that I think I'd feel like I was cheating myself out of a really pretty game by not waiting to play it on a Switch, whenever I can actually get one.

Lmao dude they look almost identical

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Is this what it's like to care whether you get a TN or IPS on your 3DS?

It must be

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

I guess it could be that people uploading Switch videos are encoding their videos well while people uploading Wii U videos aren't? But it seems like a pretty sharp difference to me. I guess it probably depends on the TV you're using to play it, too, so maybe I wouldn't notice on an actual TV, I dunno.

I watched a video showing two of them side by side and could barely tell any difference at all. You'll especially not notice when you're only playing one of them. Why deprive yourself of this game you want to play for months because of such a minor issue???

I only keep hounding you about it because you've been handwringing about the same thing for ages now trying to convince yourself. :cheeky:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm confident that once you've got your hands on the Wii U version your concerns will melt away.

And at least for me it's unlikely that I'll never play the Switch version, just not for some years.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Amazon still haven't sent out my copy of Zelda, but it wouldn't be the first time they didn't dispatch it until crazy late. Still says delivering it tomorrow at least.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. USUALLY in my experience if something has actually gone wrong with Prime at this point they say it's delayed but you never know, I still remember the Fire Emblem Awakening disaster of years past.

I have no qualms about going digital if it comes to that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

The Wii was all like "get up and move!!" but now the Switch is "lie upon your deathbed"??

And hell, I'm grateful for it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Amazon you fuckers, loving Monday???

They never updated mine but I've just said gently caress 'em. Nintendo gets my money directly now.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

raditts posted:

update: Wild breathing on Wii U look fantastic, although bafflingly the gamepad screen is used for nothing, all it does is glow a "Tap here to play on the gamepad" message.
I guess it's nice that you don't need it because you can use a pro controller instead? But considering that the ports of the other Zelda games have let you use it for inverntory and stuff, it's really loving weird to leave it out on the game made specifically for the Wii U.

I guess they really just wanted to make sure there were no significant differences whatsoever between the two versions.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

People are saying the color depth is worse on the Wii U? What does that actually mean

Nothing

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

Tuesday for me

In other news I'm currently downloading zelda from eshop

:hfive:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Being able to go wherever you want in BOTW is absolutely insane. Not 4 hours in and I (extremely minor spoilers) charged straight to Hyrule castle, killed a boss, and got some overpowered weapons. Literally everything in there can one shot me so after a while i got tired of it but it's hilarious that you can do this.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

Sounds like taking the "you can just do the dungeons in any order, whatever rent a tool" that I loved in Link Between Worlds and taking it to the next step. Excellent.

I've got some guesses as to what your motivation for doing other stuff is beyond just not being strong enough but yeah, there's an absolutely obscene amount of freedom.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Like is there any direction at all? Are you meant to run around blindly or are there quest markers?

Here's some vague explanations of how the game guides you to your main objectives:

There are 3 main plot quests. The only one you theoretically absolutely have to do to beat the game is DEFEAT GANON. You get this right away when you leave the plateau, it points you to Hyrule castle and that's it. Presumably if you're determined enough you could wade through everything one shotting you and get it done with nothing else.

The second main quest at least starts off telling you where to go. I haven't progressed much in it yet but it adds a handful of markers to your map and says go investigate here.

The third one is a lot more open ended. It leads you to a few places to get some more information but after that it's up to you to piece together clues and figure it out.

Overall it's very cool. I try not to be hyperbolic about it but to answer Harrow's question earlier, what I feel is most distinctive about this game that it does even better than the Witcher 3 is the sheer variety of the geography. In the Witcher 3 many of the between areas blend together. In BOTW even when you're just traveling through an area with not much in it it looks distinct and unique. There are so many different climates and environments represented and insanely huge structures, it's crazy. Dunno if it's the best open world game ever but it's definitely a very impressive one.

Also the combat is really good and unquestionably way better than the Witcher 3. Witcher 3 still wins out on story and quests though I'm sure.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

Can we triple the amount of hours in a day until I'm done with zelda please thank you

This

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

oddium posted:

i saw one of these but it landed on a very very steep cliff face and i knew i wouldn't be able to get it

:(

The only one I've seen so far landed right near the top of Death Mountain...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In Training posted:

The penalty for death in Automata is one of the more punitive I've seen outside of roguelikes. Pretty brutal

What is the penalty?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Breath of the Wild is a perfect game

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Alright, games huh? Well in order to wind down after finishing BOTW I just played through Severed which I got on PS+ this month. It was a game I'd vaguely wanted to play but wasn't sure if I'd like it so it wasn't high on my list to purchase. I'm really glad I finally played it though because it was excellent. I'd highly recommend it if anyone hasn't played it. It was also a fun and not too difficult platinum just for doing all the things the game had to offer which is my favorite kind.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

VideoGames posted:

I am not sure where my opinion on ME:A will fall.

ME1 is a G5F4
ME2 is a G2F2
ME3 is a G5F5.

This is how I view the series so if I dislike ME:A as well then you know it's not dogpiling.

ME2 is the worst one????

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

fridge corn posted:

I don't remember any of the music from witcher 3

Not even this one??? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8J9HXcOxrs

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

oddium posted:

the witcher 3 is so good

:hai:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Earwicker posted:

starting a thread in this forum seems like a bit more complex job than in a normal forum, like you need to be an expert on the game & series and make special graphical headers & lists of resources and poo poo. I like SE4 a lot so far but I'm only halfway through and its my first game in the series, I'm not sure I'm really qualified..

You don't need to do this stuff

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Holy poo poo it's so much more horrifying in motion

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

KingSlime posted:

I thought my post wasn't too unreasonable in tone, if you see that as a "melt down", you're 100% reinforcing my point you weirdos

It's not that emotionally taxing to write out an opinion on the internet guys, particularly when it involves something as universally disliked as the sexualization of young characters in media

you're the ones that are not normal is what i'm trying to get you to understand

I mean it was pretty strawman filled so it's not hard to see how it could be viewed as a meltdown.

I don't disagree that the sexualization of young girls in anime is messed up. But I don't agree with your assertion that there is some scourge of people on this forum who are into the gross stuff you claim they are.

Also it was funny

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sakurazuka is a good poster so I would recommend viewing people as individuals rather than making sweeping assumptions and generalizations

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

oddium posted:

[points to the motherfreaking Haier than julia in hr got for all of us] ........ try harder trolls

Julia's a real gem

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Taro got me good, the start of Automata route C is something alright.

Yep yep yup mhmmm

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In Training posted:

999, VLR, and ZTD are all awesome.

Yeah

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

glam rock hamhock posted:

:lol: Square literally added a note after you beat Nier 2 for the first time that tells you to keep playing. They Missy have been scared people would think they just got a really short game

It made me laugh it's like "look idiot this is one of them weird games that bucks convention just keep playing alright?"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That's Doctor Strangelove isn't it

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

That is also okay because Radiant Historia is really good and I wouldn't mind playing it again. Also hearing Yoko Shimomura's kickass soundtrack for it in I'm assuming better audio quality will also own.

Yeah I'm totally gonna buy it again because it would give me an excuse to replay it which I've wanted to do but keep not because I have other new games to play instead.

This totally makes sense shh

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't dislike any Zelda game apart from maybe Spirit Tracks. And the NES ones are too old for me.

Yeah

I even liked ST just enough to beat it once but it's impossible to replay because the train is just so loving boring.

I've beaten all the others at least twice but I'll never touch ST again.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

There were two different special Gamecube Zelda discs yeah. One was the collection of Zelda 1, 2, OOT, and MM (and a windwaker demo). The other was Master Quest. I dunno what the conditions were for getting each of them since I just bought the former from some kid on my block so I could finally play all the stuff on it besides OOT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This Maya video game doesn't sound very fun.

• Locked thread