Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

I'm the bookmarks on every single page of the reader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
^^^ Geez, how the gently caress do they think they're going to win on that one? "We want to gently caress over ARE DIGGERS". Yep. Good optics right there.

Jonah Galtberg posted:

NSW is definitely not California and WA is Arizona not Texas

Yeah, seriously, where's the Austin in WA? WHERE?!??

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
So this article might seem like it's come out a bit late, but it looks like the ABC were waiting for the results of some FOI requests before running this particular story.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-03/centrelink-debt-controversy-what-is-robodebt/8317764

The result?

quote:

Background Briefing filed a freedom of information request to find out how many people were asking for an online reassessment or a formal review of their debt.

It was blocked by the department, who said it would generate too much work for them to find out.

(That's after they said they'd found the documents, and after Background Briefing paid them $45 in search and retrieval fees.)

quote:

The department also refused to provide numbers on how much money had been paid back to date.

So there you are. FOI requests: Just say whatever the gently caress you want.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Periphery posted:

Stupid question: Is there an ombudsman you can complain to about centrelink?

http://www.ombudsman.gov.au/news-and-media/centrelink-complaints

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

JBP posted:

I raised this at a union council meeting a few years ago and people laughed at me and then started riffing on me about robots.

e: like I specifically raised automated warehousing and specifically ammonia based cold storage with robotic picking (bc ammonia cold is easy to sell as being green, but it's poo poo to work in so you replace your dudes with machines and no one's going to care) and got treated like a crackpot. Guess what exact loving warehouse just opened in Australia with 20 maintenance guys doing 150 people's jobs?

How can you look at supermarkets and factories in the last ten years and laugh off automation?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
So I hear Joyce really wowed 'em on The Project.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

JBP posted:

I added it.

Well, don't. If you want to use that word go to the GBS thread. You can get a free av cert if you use there often enough.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

It's the only thing their last 100 000 readers give a poo poo about.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Does anyone know where Leak is going to be buried? I have to take a piss.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
So this is from a friend of mine who's a Labor councillor:

quote:

Napoleon famously said: “Never interfere with your enemy when he (or she in this case) is making a mistake.” PHON is tearing itself apart in WA ATM. Protesters are just giving her oxygen as victim. #strategicallydumb

Yeah rack off grand dad protest tells people they're bad and tells other people not to follow the bad people. If we did things your way Hanson would be PM by now.

(Every time there's a protest he tuts on fb - I'm not sure what he sees in the Union movement. Maybe he just likes the barbecues?)

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Tarantula posted:

Quick Nestart question for people in the know, is jury duty a valid reason for not going to see Max (un)employment? Because I told them as soon as I was able that I couldn't make an appointment because of it but now my payments have been cut off. I can't imagine jury duty is an invalid excuse.

http://guides.dss.gov.au/guide-social-security-law/3/2/11/40

quote:

Undertaking jury duty

Exemptions for jury duty can be granted for up to 13 weeks, which may be extended, but not by more than 13 weeks at a time.

Hopefully this will be easy to fix up, at least you know where you can point C'link to.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Tarantula posted:

Thanks for that my google fu on this was sickly weak.

I used to work for those loving bastards so I have a little experience in tracking down exemptions.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
One Nation gets surprise win HEH TAKE THAT YOU SHOULD'VE REACHED OUT TO THESE PEOPLE

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
If you leftie fuckwit betacucks didn't keep calling Hanson racist all the time, you wouldn't have gotten the massive victory she's enjoying today. Protesting just gives her more oxygen - keep it up! Bad day to be a leftist.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

quote:

She also said she was proud of her party's efforts in spite of the result.

"For a 50-day campaign, we have done extremely well here," she said.

"I've got to thank all the supporters, we've had a fantastic effort.

"We didn't have the resources here in this state as what we have in the eastern states — I am so pleased with the vote that we have got."

So Hanson obviously hasn't learned from her 1998 campaign. BE READY

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-13/man-fined-after-pleading-guilty-to-filming-quokka-attack/8349474

quote:

She said since the incident James has suffered "intense social criticism", threats to his own safety and had lost his job because his employer could not guarantee his safety.

James was fined $3,500 and his request for a spent conviction was denied.

Suck poo poo.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
There's not only people who get paid to come up with this poo poo, they get paid even if you never use their idea. Think about that next time you do an honest day's work.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Flat White
My Bill
Daisy Cousens

Daisy Cousens

14 March 2017

2:25 PM

Twitter
Facebook
LinkedIn
Email

I met Bill Leak just the once. It was at a dinner party; my old boss at Quadrant Magazine was heading back to England after a wonderful term of service in Australia. He was having a feast at Alegrias Spanish restaurant in Balmain. Officially his Editorial Assistant, I preferred to call myself ‘John O’Sullivan’s Girl Friday’. It sounded very ‘naughty secretary’, and was a conscious snub to the feminist left (for whom I always seek new ways to irritate). I arrived first, of course, to make sure all was well with the booking, and to take care of any early arrivals.

Decked to the nines as usual, manoeuvring my way into the private dining room in my pencil skirt and teetering heels, quietly fretting over whether my lipstick was bleeding, I met John’s first guest. A gentleman by the name of Peter Smith; journalist and commentator, with a charming smile and open demeanour. As we went through the usual small talk, another guest walked through the door. He was a tall, wiry man, with short silver hair and a startlingly handsome face. He carried himself with an air of someone perpetually searching; be it for coffee, company, or perhaps something more ethereal. But what struck me were his anxious eyes. This was a man with many secrets.

“Am I in the right place?” he queried.

“John O’Sullivan’s farewell dinner?” I replied.

“Yes!” he replied, relief flooding his somewhat-weathered face. “Hi,” he continued, extending his hand. “I’m Bill.”

“Bill,” I thought to myself. I quickly ran over the guest list in my head; Helen, Tim, two Peters, John and Keith of course – I knew who this was.

“Bill Leak?” I replied, my voice embarrassingly high. “Hel – hello! So nice to meet you! I’m Daisy…John O’Sullivan’s Girl Friday.”

“’John O’Sullivan’s Girl Friday?’” he repeated, his face amused and pleased. “What a wonderful way to introduce yourself!”

I laughed, nobody had ever had that reaction to my unofficial title before. I usually got looks of bewilderment at best.

I very much knew of Bill Leak. John spoke of him often, always with fondness and respect. I had included him on group emails, put him on guest lists, and of course, had heard about that particular cartoon. He seemed a man of great prestige, intellect, and daring, all of which he was, but not in the way I expected. I had anticipated a rather wizened, perhaps balding man of about seventy, a recluse with an air of cynicism. This was a gentleman, whose handsome face and unstudied smile left me strangely weak. This was Bill Leak. And I was pleased.

“Won’t you sit down? I offered.

“Thank you,” he replied. He sat next to me, and I couldn’t help but stare. There was a presence about this man, a sharp wit and effortless charisma. But above all, there was kindness. I could tell by the generosity with which he gave of his energy. There was nothing pretentious, nothing fabricated. The easy charm created conversations as easily as a snuffed candle created smoke. He was an artist, after all, genuinely interested in everything humanity had to offer. Always interested, always observing. And always thinking. I could see it in his eyes, still anxious, but less so now.

We talked all night. Islam, immigration, feminism, feminism again, the Liberal Party, much about Donald Trump, once more, my anger at third-wave feminists for neglecting the truly needy in countries under Islamic rule. All our views were shared commodities, there was not a topic we disagreed on. In the hours I knew him, I realised he was unique. A precious intellect, and an earnestness in everything he said and did.

I brought up the cartoon. I could tell it was always burning the back of his brain. And I was curious.

“You know, Bill,” I said, late into the evening. Neither one of us had been drinking, this conversation was unclouded. “I cannot, for the life me, work out why people had that reaction to your cartoon.”

Simple words, but he could sense my despair and confusion behind them. He paused. “I can, Daisy,” he began. He did not shy away. This experience was such that it shrouded his every moment. “Have you ever heard of a Freudian theory called ‘negation’?”

I said I hadn’t. He continued. “Freud uses the example of a mother who does not really love her child. Her outward behaviour would be to shower the child with love, praise, presents, and endless affection. But it’s all a lie; an act to cover up what her total disconnect with her child. She is compensating, masking her indifference as best she can, not just from other people, but herself.”

“So you mean,” I continued as his voice trailed off, “that those who were outraged, who became histrionic, who damned you to hell and back, actually knew you were telling the truth?”

“Yes,” he nodded slowly. “Not only that, they were aware of their own bigotry. And it scared them. So, as those sorts of people inevitably do, they lashed out. And I copped the full weight of their hatefulness.”

I was stunned. This was my theory of the noisy, hypocritical, regressive left; that their emphatic insistence on tolerance, empathy, and diversity was all a sham. That actually, given their blind intolerance of anyone with a different opinion, all the very worst bigots, homophobes, racists, misogynists, and every other label they had so unjustly ascribed to Bill, were on the left.

Bill, an artist who had suffered so incredibly, would be more aware than anyone of the human condition; its excesses, its beauty, but above all, it’s failures. That was how he could so perfectly capture a feeling, a frustration, a truth that needed to be told, with just a few strokes of his brush. And most importantly, he dared to tell it. He was unique in his courage. And I was besotted.

He had to leave early. He hugged me, that smile etched into his face. “Daisy, so, so wonderful to meet you,” he said. ‘You’ll go far, my girl.”

And with that, he was gone. My disappointment to see him leave surprised me. From that encounter, just a few hours long, I was somehow changed. To spend time with Bill Leak, however painfully brief, was to encounter something you do not find anywhere else. And you are blessed to have known it.

There was the car trip.

On the way back from Canberra, with me as his passenger, Nick Cater received a call. Satisfied from a wonderful couple of days at Menzies, but half asleep, I registered Bill’s voice on the phone. He sounded joyous; there was none of the hidden anguish I had heard that night at dinner. He was speaking of his upcoming book launch. I had delighted in the title when he told me at dinner, with determination in his anxious eyes. I am a provocateur. I make it my business to trigger snowflakes. ‘Trigger Warning’ suited me just fine.

I laughed at something Bill said; he was on loudspeaker, and he heard. “Who’s that in the car with you?” he asked.

“It’s Daisy,” Nick replied. I expected Bill to ask my last name. He didn’t.

“Daisy? Beautiful Daisy?” he exclaimed.

“Yep, beautiful Daisy,” Nick repeated.

“Yes, yes it’s me!” I replied.

“Beautiful Daisy, beautiful girl!” he continued. “How are you?”

“I’m well,” I answered, suddenly wide awake. “And I’m excited for your launch.”

“Me too!” he said gleefully.

The book launch arrived. I was late. I could only stay for about forty-five minutes. The room was packed, and all were buzzing. I thought to myself that Bill must be the most popular man in Sydney, at least among conservatives

I saw Bill from a distance, he seemed to be checking his phone. I could have gone to him, congratulated him, told him how overjoyed I was he’d done it. He’d won. But the crowd closed too quickly. I was nervous about staying too long, so I let the opening slip.

The speeches started. Shifting from foot to foot, I waited for Bill’s, checking the time every two minutes or so. Bill finally began; he joked, we all laughed. I was amazed he could still laugh like that. Bill was a pioneer for me; silly little me, who has suffered a fraction of the harassment he has but who shamefully cries with frustration, all the time, when it happens.

Time was up. I scurried towards the elevator, hoping the clip clop of my most immobile heels wouldn’t interrupt the great man. I took one last look at Bill as the elevator doors closed. His face disappeared.

Friday. Lunchtime. I was chatting animatedly with my friend Rick on my lunchbreak, glowing with pride over my appearance on The Bolt Report a few nights prior, purring with self-satisfaction. My phone dinged; it was a friend, Caleb Bond, in Adelaide.

“Oh my God. Bill Leak is dead,” read the text.

“What?!” I exclaimed, my voice little more than a squeak.

“What’s wrong?” said Rick, instantly worried. I said nothing, just showed him my phone screen. His face paled.

The noise of the food court dulled. All I could hear was the vacuum of quiet shock; the kind that only comes with catastrophe. My face grew hot. Tears pricked the back of my eyes. I blinked them away; not here. I tried to go back to work. I couldn’t concentrate. Instead I put on my sunglasses and walked the CBD. Tears were falling down my cheeks, barely masked by the dark lenses. It was only then I realised the profound effect this good, kind, courageous soul had had on me. He should have been a big part of my life; a mentor, a guide.

I will always regret that moment I left the launch.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I Wanted Leak to be My Daddy but I Didn't Get Enough Surgery by Daisy Cousens

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Please "Leak" on me Dead Bill by Daisy Cousens

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I must admit I don't understand. Is the Spectator actually embarrassed, and if so, why didn't they catch it before it was published?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

A former Liberal Party MP championed by Tony Abbott has accused the former prime minister of disloyalty and says his description of her "sex appeal" damaged her credibility.

Fiona Scott, who narrowly lost the Sydney seat of Lindsay last year, also accused the Liberal Party of refusing to give her election resources because it was relying on polling that wrongly indicated she was winning easily...

Once she got to Canberra, some male Liberals didn't take her seriously because of the description, she said, which offended her close female relatives. "To be sexually objectified really upset my mum," she said.

something something leopard party something something didn't expect to get attacked by leopard

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Milky Moor posted:

bolt's written like 3-4 terrible pieces on the evil leftists (such as the ABC) abusing bill leak and his legacy

no one's gone and found a big picture of him like that's supposed to prove... something about his writing?

We've ripped on Bolt's looks thousands of times, do you want us to do it ad infinitum just to make sure we meet out gender balance quota?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Gotta say, it warms my black heart to see these WA frontbenchers lose their seats.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

JBP posted:

Bill Leak died lmao

He will forever be remembered as being owned by Triggs.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Leak is sucking balls in Hell. LOL

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

hiddenmovement posted:

I feel bad making GBS threads on someone that probably had lasting damage from a serious head injury. Surely there are enablers that should be mocked first.

Prove that the brain injury caused him to be a poo poo person.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

freebooter posted:

I reckon Turnbull can get away with going to the funeral and praising him because it may piss off the left and appease Sky News and the Australian, but it goes over the heads of 95% of ordinary Australian swing voters who don't know who Leak is and don't care.

It's just more culture war poo poo. Some people on the right think if they let up for even a second they'll have to host gay Muslim disabled dwarf orgies in their living rooms.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
:sigh: Again with Kenny and the dog-loving. Why doesn't anyone talk about all the dogs he DIDN'T gently caress?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

EoinCannon posted:

Pretty sure he's Catholic

He went to Jesuit schools for whatever that's worth. I don't even know if Jesuits are a sub-Catholic faith, I can't keep up with all these schisms.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

I wonder if that song is on the 'net anywhere. It was pretty funny.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

That's the good stuff.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

norp posted:

Assuming it's within margin of error?
Also it'll be snowy-river-bounce. If they have another poo poo week in the media it will resume its fall.

Yeah, I think it's this. Probably just hearing 'Snowy river' makes people horny. STRAYA

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I didn't know JB was under the gun, I buy lots of dvds from them.

E: Online, that is. Haven't been in a store in months.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

quote:

I’m unemployed and ashamed. The idea that people don’t want to work is a ridiculous myth
Vicki Nash

The stigma attached to unemployment can be dangerous. We should all think before we judge people who are struggling with trying to find work
People waiting in line
‘When I was shutting down my business, the thought that I may be unemployed and on the precipice of giving up entirely would never have occurred to me.’ Photograph: Alamy Stock Photo

Last year I made a decision I’d been struggling with for a few years: I walked away from the business I was running, the business I’d sacrificed most of my 20s and numerous friendships and relationships to, the business I had dreamed of running since my primary school years.

To say this was a difficult choice would be a massive understatement but it was what was right for me, or so I believed. I wanted a social life, a regular job and a regular paycheque, and most of all I wanted to feel like a regular person.

For too long I had felt like someone who was tied to her business, who was constantly overworked, overstressed and over budget, but I’d lost track of who I was outside the business. I ran a small thoroughbred farm breeding and breaking in horses for racing, and it was my life for a long time. But it’s clearly not an industry that leaves me with an obvious place to transition.

Another factor was my age. If I was leaving my business behind then I also wanted to leave the industry behind, start afresh entirely and, at 28, I was aware that not only was I getting ancient in terms of entry-level positions, but that if I was going to make a success of myself in my new field then I was better off getting started in it yesterday.

Unfortunately it has now been over six months since I started in earnest to apply for jobs in different fields, seeking to be reborn on a new career path. With the exception of one online video interview, I haven’t made it past the first checkpoint.

There are a lot of factors at play in this, and in some way I even have sympathy with the countless employers who have rejected me without even meeting me; unemployment is high at that moment, particularly in the Geelong region where I now live. I have no experience that counts, and that I was self-employed for so long does negatively affect the quality of my references. It has also become clear to me that most prospective employers see a history of self-employment in a negative light.

But sympathising with all the reasons that people don’t want to hire me doesn’t actually make the task of job hunting any easier, if anything it makes it worse. I can see why people don’t want to hire a now 29-year-old with no relevant experience and a history of self-employment and, as time passes, I increasingly fail to see why they would.

I imagine this loss of faith in oneself and the growing belief that the ongoing rejections are never going to turn around is common among the unemployed. I just never thought I’d be one of them.

Going into this, my biggest concern was that I would have to start at the bottom of the ladder and work my way up. It never occurred to me that I would be unable to get a leg on the first rung. I would now give almost anything for the opportunity to prove my worth in almost any position and at any level.

This time last year I was still in the process of closing down my business. It was heartbreaking and depressing but it was something I got through by reminding myself how much easier it would be when it was through.

I knew, not with cockiness but simply because of the faith I had in myself, that I would find another arena in which to excel. The thought that I may be unemployed and on the precipice of giving up entirely never occurred to me.

Among the things I knew about myself then was that I was intelligent and hardworking, with many transferrable skills that would make me an asset in any number of industries – but I no longer know these things.

When I think about my unemployed status today these are the things I know: that I may never find anyone willing to hire me; that with every passing day I get a little older and a little less employable and the majority of my intelligent, articulate and sometimes witty cover letters are not even being read. Or perhaps they’re not that witty after all.

I do not feel this every day but there are days where a previously unfamiliar feeling of uselessness and hopelessness do creep over me, and they are demons that I find myself increasingly unable to keep at bay. I never thought unemployment would happen to me. I imagined having to take a job I didn’t necessarily want but no job at all wasn’t anywhere on my radar. I think it’s probably this way for a lot of unemployed individuals. And this is probably the greatest lesson that has come out of this experience: that the idea that people don’t want to work, that the unemployed are somehow lazy or unmotivated, is a ridiculous myth. And yet I still haven’t learned it completely.

I still lie to acquaintances and even friends about my employment; make out that I’m doing some casual work to tide me over or make jokes about it because I’m ashamed. I judge myself every day and I’m determined not to let others judge me too.

There is a stigma attached to unemployment that can be dangerous because I don’t think it would take much for it to create a potentially irreversible self-hatred. I fill my days with routines that involve exercise, cleaning, job applications and writing and certainly no television or leisure time during work hours; I’m strict on that. I don’t claim welfare of any kind, because apart from anything else I am far too proud, another one of my failings.

I am not what the unemployed stereotype looks like but I am unquestionably unemployed and I’m struggling mentally, emotionally and financially every day. I often barely recognise myself.

This is not a story of self-pity, although it has elements of that I’m sure. I’m sacrificing my pride in writing about this. But it’s a lesson to think before you judge because unemployment is hard. If we could just come out and speak about our own struggles with unemployment freely and without shame and stigma, it may just get a little bit easier.

My unemployed stigma story: Kid living next door to me in a shed in someone's back yard, is 18, no skills because dad's a drunk and he's had an unstable home life, at risk of being even more homeless because dad's a drunk and keeps loving it up for everyone, lives in a town (Newcastle) with a youth unemployment often at 20% and sometimes is as high as 32% (can't find up to date figures but I'm banking it's around 20% or 15% at least)...

... Called 'too lazy to work'.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Hahaha kiss my rear end you fuckwit.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I'm trying to figure out how someone looking at bodies on a phone leads to police swarming a station and coming up short.

Now that time I was on the train and that guy was cutting himself open - THAT I understand!

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Well, strike that pin.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
https://twitter.com/1petermartin/status/845159059636432896

Checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark