Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

The only question that needs to be answered is... Is Zelda worth spending $388 to play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

beergod posted:

Best Buy in westminster California has a ton of extras for sale. If you show up soon you're basically guaranteed to get one.

This just costed me 400 bucks.

I drove by that Best Buy a couple hours before midnight last night, and saw about 80-100 people in line, and so I left. The building and parking lot was completely dark.

After I read that message and went into BB, someone said there was a power outage last night and they werent able to sell all the consoles as a result.

There were about 14 consoles left after I got mine an hour ago. Though I ended up having to go back to BB 20 minutes later, they still had a small stack of consoles, and nobody in line.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Is there a way to connect a lanyard to the screen like the lanyard that connects to the joy cons when they're independent? I really don't want to drop this expensive thing.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

You're getting a lot of hardware for $300. Thats all I gotta say. A 32GB iPod Touch is $250. The 3DS and Vita were $250 when they launched.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

So it costs more than the entry level product of a notoriously highly-priced brand and a paid of handhelds that either took a platform-salvaging price cut (3DS) or failed.

But you get a plastic shell to put the console in and another plastic shell to put the joycons in, a $130 "value," so that's great. Great deal. Tremendous.

gently caress this guy complimenting his purchase! Watch me get him!!!

Is there a better portable MP3 player than the iPod Touch, for the same price, or less? Oh yeah, the Zune HD! Which was more expensive and was dropped in a year.

Price cuts are indicative of sales performance, not hardware costs. The hardware is typically sold at a loss.

The dock is the least important part of the console, that can go in the trash for all anyone cares. The device itself feels surprisingly god for the money. But I can understand your skepticism since you're looking at it on the internet, and not actually using it in your hands.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Zelda is going to have to last us a long rear end time. Instead of binging on the game at home for a week straight then sitting there with my dick in my hand, i'm only using the switch for its intended purpose, using it when I need a handheld, or taking the whole thing with me when I stay in hotel rooms or at a friends or family members home.

But Zelda has been running fine for me, and no problems with the console, and I got the 2 year extended warranty which is a good idea for any new console.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Got my USB-C cable from Amazon today. I connected my switch to my Anker Core 1000, which is a little smaller than a deck of cards and $24. Playing Zelda on normal brightness and Airplane mode not on, its powering the system completely so theres no battery loss. If you turn down the brightness, turn on Airplane Mode, you'll get a slow recharge while playing. If playing a less demanding game, you'll definitely get a faster recharge. Comparing the sizes of both devices batteries, it should give you enough juice to last for another 3 hours, maybe more. I dont see many situations where you're going to be away from a USB port longer than what this will give you.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

Wow, that's good to hear. Are you using an A to C or a straight C cable?

Cable Matters USB Type C (USB-C) to Type A (USB-A) Cable in Black 3.3 Feet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S8GU2OC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_rIoVybHGF6TXX

That one.

Right now I'm riding in a friends car. Using a 24w dual USB port cigarette lighter adapter. He's got a big screen iPhone 6 running a GPS connected to it, and I got switch running Zelda running at normal brightness and airplane mode off and the battery isn't draining at all, and I could probably get a short charge if I do all the power saving measures. Driving during a sunny day with brightness at the Max, might be different though.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 6, 2017

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

I played Zelda all weekend and now my eyes are probably damaged, but it's worth it. Without looking for stats, I've probably played like 16-20 hours and I've only done one of the 4 major "dungeons". It is a fantastic exploration game.

I've just been dicking around in the game too. The world feels alive, and not static. In the air there's geese flying in V formation, hawks circling around, butterflies, gnats, fireflies, bats, swarms of moths. On the ground there's lizards, snakes, frogs, and mobs of enemies. You have the sound of crickets, owls, and a wide variety of bird calls. You have dust clouds, dust particles floating around, fiery meteors falling from the sky, the sound of gusts of wind and the brush responding to it. And I haven't left the plateau yet.

When I had my friend try it for the first time, his initial reaction was "this is weird, playing a game like this on a handheld device".

But Nintendo better start schmoozing with developers. Get some drat games on this thing.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Whats tempting me to get the pro controller is how it will make switching even more seamless. Leave the joycons on the handheld, and just grab it and go when I need the portable.

Does it feel quality? Is it heavier than the ps4 controller? It doesnt feel like a $20 Logitech PC gamepad or a crappy see thru neon green madcatz xbox 360 controller does it?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

THE loving MOON posted:

and ended up downloading fast RMX just to have something multiplayer and was actually kinda surprised that single joycon play wasn't so bad afterall. I passed them around the room and never had any trouble with desync or anything. We had some drinks and crashed our rocket cars into the siderails for a couple hours, it was fun :)

Hey let me know how online multiplayer is if you get a chance to try it. If its decent, I might want to get this game to hold me over until mario kart. Im curious to know if its smooth, or laggy, if other players are teleporting around or not.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Since Fast RMX was only $20 I said F it, and got it. I liked that I could continue cooking in Zelda, and watch videos of other games in the nintendo store, and have the game download in the backround at a decent speed. Its multi tasking like a proper home console.

Quick impressions of the game. This is the first time i've had the HD haptic feedback really do something, and its crazy, the way it simulates the feel of tires on the road, and even kind of makes the sound of the tires.

The game looks really pretty, and the sense of speed when you boost is nuts. But I am horrible at the game, and online multiplayer would not connect, but I expect that to be a temporary thing. I'm gonna dock it and see it at 1080p and 60fps. This is some PC poo poo right here. But of course, its just a racing game, which is much less demanding and easier to push graphically.

BTW Snipperclips is one game you can download a demo of in the store if anyone wants to try it.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

parallelodad posted:

Huh. I read it has haptic feedback but when I was playing I didn't really notice it at all. Weird though that you would feel the tires on a hover car.

Thats what happens when you've been playing Forza 5 like crazy for the past 2 years, then jump into a spaceship racing game and post about it after drinking Nyquil.

But the haptic feedback does give an interesting texture. I just picked up one of the last Pro Controller gamepads in my area, and its definitely not giving that kind of feedback. Though its still nice. Ergonomic as gently caress. Love the feel of the shoulder buttons and triggers. Round buttons feel a tad cheap though.

But i'm concerned that online multiplayer for Fast RMX still is not working for me. If someone can confirm they are able to do online matches, let me know. I'm about to bring my switch to McDonalds, connect to their wifi, and use the kickstand and play it there like a nerd.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

Nintendo actually got it right on how to communicate to the masses what this thing is during those goofy commercials. Each commercial shows someone playing the game on a TV, popping it off it to play on the go, then popping it back in to play at home. It's not a complicated process, its easy to do and anybody can make it work. They really need some more games on it though. Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart both have to launch before Christmas or Nintendo is hosed Nintendo might be in trouble. But with both those games? It will be the number one gift easily.

I feel like Nintendo's challenge is that the switch really needs to be seen in person to be appreciated. People have to see Zelda running on the handheld and on the TV. I just don't think youtube videos do it justice.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Got a decent little setup going here in the motel

I like having the display be stationary.

Wish there was a way to change the mac address. That way I can have it mimic my authenticated iphone and connect to the wifi here.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I tried Fast RMX local 2 player racing, and it works really well. The game still runs smooth and looks pretty, and using one joycon as a mini gamepad is so drat cute. It's going to be very cool for Mario Kart 8 team battles. Having the screen split vertically is ideal for a racing game where you don't need a wide field of view, so you're not having to squint or have your nose almost touching the screen.

I was able to play online multiplayer races at the motel, so my connectivity issue at home must be on my side. This seems to happen with only one out of 50 online games for me.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

So in the future when there are tasty Japanese games, you just make an account for their region and buy and download it?

I remember way back in 2008, I got a copy of Phantasy Star 0 which was a japanese only game for the DS at the time. All of us western players figured out what each menu did, by trial and error, and memorized it, until we eventually had a grasp on the whole game without being able to read poo poo. But it was worth it for those awesome co-op sessions.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

There's already tasty games now.

That pizza might have some bitter taste on it!

Is the $25 shovel knight worth it? Or is the $10 good enough?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

The Wii U looked like the original Wii, and had almost the same name. Shoppers assumed it was just an updated Wii and passed on it. Informed gamers didnt buy it because it didnt have a killer app. Avid gamers passed on it when they learned that the tablet controller with the big screen was a cocktease. The switch is a correction of all those mistakes, and it's what gamers wanted the Wii U to be.

Historically, many consoles that launched with a killer app went on to have great runs. Atari and Pong. Super Mario and NES, Sonic and Genesis, Super Mario 64 and N64, Soul Calibur and Dreamcast (Dont start with me), Halo and Xbox, Wii Sports and Wii, now Breath Of The Wild and Switch.

I appaud Nintendo for having the nuts to try new things. Even when they fail miserably, like the virtual boy, they have a good cry, listen to some Fleetwood Mac, and they pick up the pieces and continue on and redeem the poo poo out of themselves and make a hit product like the DS Lite and Wii. They hosed up with the Wii U, and now they are redeeming themselves again.

The key to its success is for Nintendo to get games that take advantage of the hybrid design. The fact that a handheld can transform into a stationary display with 2 gamepads is so loving cool. People are going to have LAN matches on planes.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

koolkal posted:

Which is a real problem that no one seems to ever point out

The whole point of this gimmick switch thing is that it docks and gets a boost in specs to better support a tv screen instead of a small tablet

Except that even nintendo themselves couldnt figure out how to make a small res bump from 720p to 900p work without the framerate stuttering at sub-30 fps

It's the same dumb stuff that made the ps4 pro a joke at release where the ENHANCED versions of games were shittier than the old ones

What's even the point of having 2 sets of specs if there's no real difference between them? When the more powerful version is actually a shittier experience?

But I'm expecting the switchsquad to roll in and tell me that sub-30 fps stuttering is only a problem for the turbonerds and 15fps is all everyone needs

People just play the games, and enjoy them. It's really that simple.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

koolkal posted:

And man, what games

I can't speak for other people, but for myself, Breath Of The Wild of course, and Fast RMX, and i'm still on the fence about Shovel Knight. Just Zelda alone will easily last me until the end of next month when Mario Kart 8 comes out. I'm still dicking around in the great plateau. My XB1 and PS4 get the most use at home. The Switch is primarily my handheld gaming device, and my travel console. I take uber, bus, and train rides, and stay in motels and visit family out of state pretty often, so thats when the Switch gets to shine.

Mario Kart will entertain me indefinitely. I racked up an online multiplayer record of about 890 wins and 40 losses on Mario Kart DS. I mastered the technique of snaking, and I was so good that I had to use a tactic where I would let the other player be ahead of me for 80% of the race, and then I would pass them at the end and win, otherwise I would be miles ahead of them during the whole race, and they would always quit the match and I would not get the win on my record. I can't wait to play it on the pro controller, and do local 2 player split screen.

As far as i'm concerned, Zelda and Mario Kart alone are worth the price of admission, for me. But of course i'm going to be getting many of the anticipated titles. Mario Odyssey, Splatton 2, Puyo Puyo Tetris, NBA2k18, Fifa, Skyrim, Fire Emblem, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and some of the indie titles too. If there are weeks or months between their releases, that's perfectly fine with me. My backlog of games is ridiculous.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 9, 2017

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Someone needs to make one of those mounts they have for cameras, but for the switch. The ones where the legs are a bunch of balls, and you can contort them so they grab on to anything.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

well why not posted:

anyone playing Fast RMS handheld notice that the LHS joycon vibrates super-nosily, sometimes?

I assumed it was intentional. Dunno though.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Just playing Fast RMX on regular settings, I got a little over 3 hours of battery life. Not bad considering its graphics, framerate, and the fact that the controllers are vibrating almost nonstop.

Also my little Anker Powercore 1000 was able to fully recharge the Switch, and its still at 50% capacity and looks like it can fully recharge it again.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

A backpack is too big for a handheld. We need Switch fannypacks.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

There's definitely going to be a game drought through next month. Until Mario Kart 8.

Weather the storm goons. It will be worth the wait so hard.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I keep forgetting this thing has a touch screen.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

So the Switch is compatible with USB-C battery packs, right?

This is what I use. It can charge the Switch fully twice over, and it's pretty small, light, and inexpensive:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerC...&keywords=anker

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I'm currently playing Metroid Prime 3 Corruption. Its amazing, and a reminder that having the latest graphics is much less important than gameplay. I like how the game doesnt hold your hand, and how some boss fights will have your arms store after you beat them.

It woukd just take the metroid and mario galaxy games to be on the Switch to make the console huge.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I don't know anything about this amiibo poo poo. I found what I think is one figure at the swap meet, its about an inch and a half tall:

Can I use this in Breath of the wild?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Whats the verdict on Isaac. Is it a pass, rental, or purchase? I got a free month of gamefly, trying to rent it, but its at low availability.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Michaellaneous posted:

So I finally got my hands on a Switch, able to try it out for an hour or so. Here are my thoughts on this:

This screen is tiny and utter trash. If I want to appreciate what I am seeing in any way, I need to have the joycons slotted in, holding it close to my face. If I prop this thing up on a table somewhere in a realistic fashion, it's utter trash and lmao @ the thought of playing Skyrim on such a tiny display.

The joysticks on the controllers feel cheap, make awful noises when snapping back, and, generally handle like trash.

There is virtually no space between the bumpers, leaving no space to my rest my index fingers. I have to put them
under the joycons, behind the bumpers.

The "controller" you slot the joycons in feels like a cheaply made chinese knockoff.

I am forced to hold the Switch kinda awkwardly, since the left joystick is really far up, and the right one realy far down. It just does not feel comfortable, and in addition, the thing is quite heavy too.

So yeah. Tiny loving screen, a cheap feeling and an overall lack of comfort makes this a joke, at least to me. 450 bucks for this? Lol.

He's a time traveler, and is used to $99 handhelds with 8K 20" screens, with controls made out of metals that came from an asteroid.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Music Theory posted:

Is Fast RMX good for multiplayer?

It's pretty much the only way to go, online or local, because the AI is impossibly hard past the novice tier of races. I haven't encountered any lag or teleporting when playing online, and local 2 player races work very well because the screens are split vertically and racing games work well in portrait mode since you don't need a wide field of view. It's a pretty cool way to get a taste of local multiplayer and using the joy cons as mini gamepads, without buying Snipper Clips.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Dr Cheeto posted:

I missed you, Stux

He's the only SA user i've ever muted. He was a prolific shitposter in the XB1 thread.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I got the screen protector goons been recommending.

Got mine on easily, no bubbles. Touch sensitivity feels just as good. Now I feel confident about traveling with it, and docking it without having to be super slow and careful. Looks totally seamless.

Since it came with two, and I have an extra one, I can send it to a goon that has previously posted in this thread regarding their fine purchase.

edit: mailed to lucky goon.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 19, 2017

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Selling, trading, renting, and lending these $40-$60 games is worth having to swap carts. To me, video games are little pieces of equity. I sell them to fund the next game. Except Zelda, that shalt not be sold unless I cant afford top ramen.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

I'll bite, paypal incoming

U gettin it free. Its been dropped off at the post office, and based on your location you'll be receiving it's Tuesday. Hell maybe even tomorrow.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 19, 2017

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

parallelodad posted:

Of course it will, but get a Roku or Fire TV or Chromecast. They're cheap, and better than literally any consoles streaming services.

$20 brand new Roku deal here:

https://slickdeals.net/f/9883208-roku-express-streaming-media-player-19-99-kohl-s#comments

Other retailers will price match that. I had a $10 off Kohls mailer I was able to use, and scored it for $10 and some change, which is a mega deal.

Went to the swap meet today, and repurposed some 50 cent thingies to be Switch travel bags now

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I'm beta testing the ish out of this game this weekend.

Never played the first game, so this is gonna be fresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I'm probably the only one who is old enough to remember Nerf arena online.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 20, 2017

• Locked thread