Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's a testament to his acting ability that John Mahoney, one of the gayest dudes in Hollywood played the straightest character on the show.

It's a testament to his acting ability that Dan Butler, one of the gayest dudes in Hollywood played the straightest character on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

There are way fewer cringe-worthy "it was a different time back then" moments in Frasier than any other sitcom from the era.

Even the 'whoops, X thinks Y is gay, hilarity ensues' are surprisingly acceptable these days, compared to what the norm of the time would be.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I've never heard him out of character: how smart is Grammer in real life?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Kelp Me! posted:

The fact that she has like 4 brothers and both parents and every one of them has a completely different accent must drive actual Brits watching the show insane.

As a Brit, what drives me the point of saying 'tut!' is that none of those 5 people have an accent that is even vaguely like a British accent.

Even Daphne, despite being British with a normal accent in real life, speaks with something from the Dick Van Dyke school of acting.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Why two phones in the living room??

In that era, you'd have one corded phone and one cordless.

The corded phone was probably supplied by the phone company, was a requirement of having a phone line with them as was available in an exciting range of 3 colours of a single, basci model

The cordless phone was one that you bought and actually used.

You kept the original phone - even if it weren't hard wired in - because analogue cordless phones would always run out of battery during the day due to their crap batteries, especially if you had a hectic social life like the Frasier household

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Kelp Me! posted:

Who's the lawful evil one? That's not Lilith

quote:

Dr. Melinda "Mel" Karnofsky Crane (Jane Adams) is Maris Crane's plastic surgeon, and for a period, Niles Crane's girlfriend and (briefly) wife. She is fussy, neurotic, and fastidious, much like Niles. Similarly, she's the sort of manipulative, controlling female Niles is attracted to (e.g., Maris). It is heavily implied in her first appearance that she is much older than she appears, probably due to her profession. Mel also has one son, and it is specifically stated she is divorced. It is hinted at that she had her son at a very young age. When Daphne becomes engaged to Donny, Niles and Mel impulsively elope. After Niles runs off with Daphne on the day of her intended wedding to Donny, Mel is humiliated and bitter. She pays Niles back by refusing to grant an immediate divorce; instead, she forces Niles to play along that the two remain happily married, assuring him that after he has done this on several select social occasions she will file for divorce. It quickly becomes apparent that she is deliberately prolonging the process while ensuring the maximum public humiliation for Niles. At a social event held by Frasier, Mel finally pushes Niles to the limit; Niles publicly disowns "this sham of a marriage", and the two are quickly divorced. Mel is humiliated and does not appear again.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

She was supposed to be obtainable. Also hot.

I like the fact that she always dressed somewhat conservatively, didn't have huge knockers on display (despite this one scene) and wasn't a dumb bottle-blonde.

she avoided all the lazy stereotypes of a 'attractive, sexually active woman'

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I'm the third bathtub.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

I guess my only lingering issue is the idea that he was allowed to walk in front of camera with that wet, bald mullet look. Possible contestant for worst media haircut of that decade?

Don't forget that it was very fashionable for the time.

Likewise, Niles' suits - the absolute best in fashionable menswear at the time; now he looks like a ventriloquist's dummy

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Calaveron posted:

Any episode with Frasier's kid was pretty bad right

Apart from the one where they are trying to get him into a posh school.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Today I learned that Eddie was played by the same dog, Moose, from S1-7, and then Moose's own son took over S8-11. Moose died in his sleep at the age of 16 in 2006.

I've found a bunch of articles talking about how they were unbelievably well trained, and one AV club article suggesting the Kelsey Grammer didn't like the dog at first but the cast was very close by the end of S3 and KG even dedicated their Emmy to him.

EDIT: LOLOLOL his trainer got 10K an episode, making Moose's net worth a little over 3 million.

I recall that Moose was a talented dog actor, but his son was a dick.

Fakedit: Moose was the dick:

quote:

Although I’m a faithful fan of the show, I never knew that the casting of Eddie had changed. But Mathilde explains the differences between the two stars. “Both dogs are very smart and train very well, but Enzo was always a lot easier to work with… a lot less challenging. He’s a typical good working dog that wants to please me. And he likes to catch his tail, which is very hard for a Jack Russell to do. Enzo is really a spectacular dog.”

“Moose, on the other hand, was always a problem child, which is why he got to me in the first place. He still is. He has “issues.” It’s in his mind. (He could actually be a candidate for Prozac.) He’s not the average dog. He always seemed to be really unhappy and you can see it in his eyes. It’s him. It’s his personality. I’m not saying he is unhappy. I think he’s pretty happy. He’s got a pretty good life and lots of love. He’s just not the average loving dog you would think. Now don’t get me wrong. Moose has huge charisma and he’s got something that no other dogs do… he has an incredible personality. And it shows. But he’s not as much of a method actor as Enzo is.”

http://www.thepetpress-la.com/eddie.html

spog
Aug 7, 2004

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

does anybody ever talk about how much of an absentee father frasier is

Kids aren't funny so they don't exist most of the time in sitcom-world unless needed for specific plot points, then suddenly everyone remembers that they have a child,

See also Ross from Friends

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well step up to the plate son and show us your list! If Joey isn't #1 though, then I don't even know.

Early Seasons:
Chandler
Joey
Monica
Ross
Rachel
Phoebe

Later Seasons:
Monica
Ross
Chandler
Phoebe
Joey
Rachel

Niles
Frasier
Daphne
Roz
Martin
Bulldog
Gil

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Sagacity posted:

Just finished the series finale. After Frasier, Seinfeld and News Radio I'd really like to know what other older shows are equally good :(

I know Friends has become something of a cliche, but it is a pretty good show.

Yes, there are a couple of weak series, but there are still some good ones worth watching.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

maskenfreiheit posted:

once you realize it's a tutorial on all the types of people you should never interact with it gets better

Oh come on: Rachel : hot, dumb, daddy issues and doesn't insist on condoms.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

bean_shadow posted:

David Angell was on the first plane that hit the WTC.

Looking this up apparently...

Niles and Daphne's son was named after David.

Also, Anthony Perkins' widow was also on American Airlines Flight 11.

So, we can blame Daphne's mum on Al qaeda?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I liked* how Daphne's family who were stated to be from Manchester UK (a city with its own distinct regional accent) all had accents that spanned the breadth and width of the British Isles

All the way from Dick Van Dyke's cockney London, to Mr Scott's Aberdeen - taking in all the different Nottingham Forests from Robin Hood.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

I always wanted to know if Niles and Frasier's mom was a pompous wuss like that her boys or if she was just a cute, fun lady that loved Martin and her sons, bless their heart, just came out as total knobs independently.

She appears in an episode "Mommia Mia"

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Calaveron posted:

I mean you can probably make the argument that since she was an immigrant alien she needed the job and working with the Cranes in an enormous luxurious apartment in the heart of Seattle with a job that wasn't demanding at all and with her eventually just fitting in so well with the family was just too attractive to let go

I always mildly wondered if a physical therapist met the requirements for a work visa in the USA.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAb1W6FJ2qo

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Inescapable Duck posted:

It's not much of a surprise Frasier and Lillith divorced and still get along, they enable each others' worst aspects.

It's quite unusual in sitcom world as they both seem like plausible people and the relationship is real.

Unlike the usual trope where one partner is normal and the other is an ogre/moron.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Literally 10 mins before I read that news, he was on my tv, playing an old sick man, confined to bed and I was thinking how good he was looking and that it was good that he was still working.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Calaveron posted:

Was it his sister or dad who was lost at sea while diving, implied to have been eaten by a shark

I expect to hear that he had a cousin who was killed by a falling piano.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Netflix is probably going to be almost entirely Netflix-produced content at some point.

And all of it starring Adam Sandler

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It's a god drat shame Robin Williams is dead because imagine his cameo on this show

I dunno, Williams did a cameo in Friends and it was loving terrible.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

post the pic or gtfo (get the gently caress out)

Oddly, by today's standards she's dressed very conservatively.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

That'll never happen, for the same reason she is the one main Cheers character who never guested on Frasier: Scientology hates psychiatry.

I had assumed that was because she was going through one of her 'fat' periods when Frasier was on.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

And the other plumber in that episode is the rear end in a top hat cop from Die Hard / Joey Tribbiani's dad from Friends.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

We're firmly in Halloween time and there's more than one very quality Frasier episode about this holiday.

Ohh.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

How is anyone a sex pervert in that episode?

Frasier commits a social faux pas by going into Daphne's room looking for his book, then through a series of unfortunate coincidences keeps making the situation worse and worse as he tries to make it better. Also all his attempts to take a principled, modern stand against his traditional father fall flat and end up creating more trouble, such as his insistence that it was ok to go into Daphne's room because she goes in his room, or that it is unhealthy to use gifts to buy forgiveness.

It's the same basic formula as most Frasier episodes. The only pervert part is probably the joke where Niles briefly thinks that Frasier has made advances on Daphne by going to her room like some sort of 18th century novel

This.

The whole point of the episode is that he's managed to get himself into an unacceptable situation through his own arrogance, pomposity, boneheadness or just through a series of unlikely coincidences.

Which is, as you say, the premise of about 70% of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

I still can't figure out why a physical therapist is cleaning, cooking, and doing laundry.

She was a shite therapist: Martin's limp never improved.

It was always a bit shaky as to how she managed to get a Green Card anyway:

https://www.immi-usa.com/eb2-for-physical-therapist/

quote:

The exceptional ability criteria can be a trickier subject. The USCIS requires you to present at least three of the following:

Evidence of a specialized degree or certificate in your field.
Letters that demonstrate that you have at least 10 years of experience in your field.
Any necessary licenses required to perform your occupation.
Proof that you are compensated a large salary for your work.
A membership in a professional organization or association
Documented recognition for your achievements in your field from esteemed peers and contemporaries.