Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Forgot about that one. Crying laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The 4/4 was also great but I think people sometime forget to mention the weird circumstances around the 1988 season

This is completely fair. 1989 was the shift from turbo to only the 3.5 liter N/A engines, so few companies were spending any resources on turbo development. Many of the midfield teams had already moved over the the new engines, including even Williams.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

He was the #1, yeah. But even with that Williams had a contract for 1988. It's been said that Williams lost the engines because they refused to hire Nakajima but I don't believe that at all.

Honda wanted to support Piquet (their reigning champion) and Senna (who had done incredibly well with Lotus), and from what I've read Williams got okey-doke'd when Senna went to McLaren. Not sure if a third supply existed but I think Williams-Honda could've happened if Sir Frank wanted to pay Piquet more, but lol Williams paying over the odds for drivers. They might've been able to get Honda engines if they took on Nakajima but lol Williams agreeing to that in 1988.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

Everyone really, the only other turbos running other than Honda and Ferrari were the ancient BMW and Alfa based units Arrows and Osella were using and whatever the hell Zakspeed thought they were playing at.

Yep, Lotus and Ferrari were the only other real "major" teams with turbos. And Ferrari of course the only team to win a race besides that McLaren.

Oh did somebody say JPM JET DRYER?

https://youtu.be/JkYxxh6C_jw

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

One of the requirements to mod here: be a masochist.

Gods, can it be August 20th already? Three weeks of no major open wheel racing blows.

Could use the time to catch up on anime racing, aka Super GT and Super Formula. Both should be on YouTube if you know where to look. They're already through five rounds of the season.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

One of my favourite songs ever + F1 gently caress yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk5q9fLD0s8

that is quite possibly the most 1987 Japan thing ever, holy gently caress.

track day bro! posted:

The same guy who wrote this did most of the music in Gran Turismo, well the Japanese versions at least.

okay, I know what artist(s) I'm tracking down next time I'm at the used CD store. Dang.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

Let's take a look at Super Formula aka Formula Nippon and see how the two engine manufacturers of Toyota & Honda are doing, hm?

lol

I think they're basically using the Super GT engines in SF, so, uh, yuuup that tracks. Honda have gotten lucky recently in Super GT but generally been poor the last couple years.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

McGuinty posted:

Holy poo poo guys, this new channel showed up on my dumb rear end cable box in the last week or so (Shaw must have rolled out a channel list update for my area?). It's called BeIN sports and right now I'm watching MotoAmerica and I see that there is MotoGP qualifying later with Moto3 action after that, and then the MotoGP Austria race at the normal Euro F1 time in the morning.

Guys, I guess I'm watching MotoGP now that I don't have to pay for yet another streaming subscription. Anyone have any experience with the feed & commentary team on this channel? Is it at least bearable?

Update: holy lol, I'm looking at the rider profile pictures on motogp.com and the only one who isn't smiling is Petrucci and he still has what I would describe as a smug grin. Not a single sourpuss or serious business bro in the bunch. Who knew being a famous sports celebrity could be fun?

Just wait until you learn why Rossi has "WLF" on the collar of his leathers :haw:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

The official MotoGP app is doing some weird poo poo on my iPad lately, which seems to involve crashing on lap 6-3

Just like Iannone! :v:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Guys we need to stop talking about Japanese jazz fusion bands. I'm driving around in my Mazda with this poo poo playing like some jackass pretending I'm the dude in Out Run.

You're saying this like living the bougie '80s Japanese dream is a bad thing.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think all the ex F1 drivers in DTM giving it the perception of the best quality touring car field in the world was why the FIA tried the misbegotten ITC experiment

Yeah except those 1994/95 DTM and ITC cars are some of the wildest racing machines ever built. All-wheel drive (at least the Opel and Alfa), screaming engines, all carbon, so many tricks. Marshall Pruett did an interview with Dario Franchiti a couple years ago where more than half of it is Dario describing how batshit insane that era is. The Mercedes had a wing that would retract into the rear deck on straightaways :psyduck:

Also let's not forget two things about the Sauber-Mercedes sports car team in the late 1980s - THAT is what truly brought Mercedes back to motorsports in an official capacity, and the young driver program there had both Schumacher and HHF. Which resulted in Schuey stealing Frentzen's girlfriend.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

learnincurve posted:

I'll just get a lecture about the negative humanitarian impact caused by using rare earth minerals in electric car batteries if I mention F1 in our house at the moment. A V12 F1 car is far more environmentally and humanity friendly than a hybrid road car apparently. It's just that as the bad and catastrophic destruction is happening in the arse end of China the people of California and Sweden can happily ignore it while smugly lecturing normal car owners about the ice caps.

Or lithium mines in Australia/pools in Chile. And really the biggest impact now is on intercontinental shipping. Marine diesel is disgusting compared with what's used in Europe or the US now.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

learnincurve posted:

The pods are a bit silly but were people not using Bluetooth headphones/headsets anyway? Maybe it's just round our way being a bit dodgy* but a headphone cable makes it much easier for the scagheads to locate and steal your phone. National Newspapers have been saying don't use apple headphones on public transport (the tube in particular) for years as thieves will target you.

*not as dodgy as Sheffield who actually had to put more pay phones in and told students not to take out their phones though.

I commute in the Tokyo area and maybe 10% of people I see are using some kind of wireless headphones. Most people still using wired.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

But seriously I need you to stop random people in the street and ask them their thoughts on Honda being a national embarassment and for destroying McLaren and Alonso.

k will get right on it.

I think more people are too busy realizing they need to build a statue for national sporting hero Takuma Sato though.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah the between-the-lines on Kimi staying is Vettel most likely staying as well and Leclerc and/or Giovinazzi getting seasoning elsewhere next year. Ferrari don't want true rookies.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Let's bully the Sumo thread because they're real nerds in there.

They should appreciate our recent love of J-Jazz and the '80s Salaryman Dream.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

wicka posted:

I can't imagine the complete and total silence out of the McLaren/Honda/Toro Rosso/Renault camps is anything but a bad sign.

I kind of hope it gets scrapped for some petty reason, McLaren stick with Honda but Honda actually get it to be respectful next year. Remember how far Renault were off pace in 2014? It can be improved. And I'd rather see McLaren back up as a factory team with a competent Honda than Renault struggling to beat *two* capable privateers.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It's time for racing lads

https://youtu.be/MpetjnhGbUs

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Didn't they move this back to back so it would be less likely to rain in Malaysia and Japan?

I think that was as much travel as anything. It's typhoon season out here.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

WELP

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wreck was definitely Vettel coming down but Kimi was rrrreal aggressive with that move. Can't believe Alonso just stuck it in gear and kept going too.

Hamilton has all the luck there too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nah looks like Palmer pitted. But yeah Ricciardo taking it easy on slicks that first lap or two on track.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

learnincurve posted:

It's astonishingly clean, lovely parks, and great shopping.

I've heard it described as Asia Lite, but I have a few close friends there now and still want to visit and see local spots.

Aaaaaaaand there's the safety car we needed.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Theophany posted:

Lmao all you dumb fucks enjoying Ferrari crashing out. Enjoy your 2015 Mercedes whitewash.

It's funny watching the thread meme of Ferrari banana-riding go out in flames carbon fiber in the first corner. Also go Mercedes bitch :colbert:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I lived through the Schumacher era and the worst years of the Vettelreich. This is nothing.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

HJB posted:

Interviews summed up

Seb: "Hard to say who's at fault, one of those things"
Kimi: "Hard to say who's at fault, but me and Max did nothing wrong"
Max: "Seb is a oval office"

Also completely accurate too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

Vettel is going to lose the WDC foir crashing into SHAMILTON and this crap. FOR FUCKS SAKE!

Both of which self-inflicted.

Hmmm.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Theophany posted:

Anybody who doesn’t appreciate a number 27 Ferrari is a soulless monster. Nico Hülkensperg shouldn’t be allowed to race it.

It also looked weird when the 27/28 swapped to McLaren for a year.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Apropos of nothing I've always heard that the country with the most boring food by a long shot is Argentina. A friend of mine told me that the only people who have a lower tolerance for spicy food than white Americans are the Argentines.

Japan is also up there in terms of least-spicy. The native cuisine is incredibly subtle sometimes a bit bland in terms of any flavors, but in terms of spice wasabi is basically it. And that's more a mustard than a chili.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Red Bull also have a different fuel/lubricant supplier and I'm not sure if Mobil is providing product and actually developing for Red Bull, or if they're putting their logo on the stuff Renault provides to them. (FYI this is why McLaren were slowest of the Mercedes powered teams in 2014, they were the only one not running Petronas' special blend)

[quote="“Schlesische”" post="“476740484”"]
Hey, it’s not like McLaren were doing anything with that Mercedes engine shaped hole.
[/quote]

That was a major changeover in rules plus McLaren didn't have the double-diffuser until later in the season. After major updates they were much more competitive, but the Brawn and Button had built up a major lead early in the year. And the following year McLaren were competitive immediately too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

learnincurve posted:

The one and only formula 1 song that matters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z-dJ35fOiM

The best tangent this thread has gone on all year was J-Jazz

https://youtu.be/Cus-5wI3FHU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

*is American tourist*

*flies into the heart of Tokyo*

*puts on stetson*

"Dang, honey, come 'ere and lookit these chinamen sure are tiny creatures!! Now lets go get some cheeseburgers'n'dat'dar'fries!"

God dammit you doxxed me sometimes you just want a loving burger okay? Oh and Tokyo has a bunch of really good burger spots, DM for details

And I'd guess that wicka found all the craft/imported beers because most Chinese beer is mass-market bullshit and because furriners have money to pay for better quality import brews than Heineken.

[Edit] also it's page 911 so let's remember when Porsche was last good in Formula 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU2Zk6QgEnA

harperdc fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Oct 4, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Japanese sports app I get also has F1 so I've been enjoying that as of late, certainly a drat site better than the SkyF1 team.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

Oh gently caress yes the F1 channel just posted one of my favourite F1 battles of all time! Nobody ever seems to remember or talk about this but its that last lap fight between Big Bobby K and Massa in his Prime at Fuji in the wet. I still remember watching this live and just going holy poo poo every time they punted each other off track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnxUu36-uYw

Spicy take: I actually quite like current Fuji Speedway, it's a very nice place to watch motor racing and I'm excited to head there again for the WEC in a couple weeks. Also watching that lap there is so much temporary grandstand seating up at Fuji there, they must've had a ton of people. Understandable but still massive compared to how many people go for the next-biggest event.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

I'm a touch concerned about the streaming service being theorized in this thread because I watch F1 on Foxtel Go, and while the app itself is crap, it is at least ad free during the race. All the talk from the US guys about interruptions on a paid service similar to existing services is disturbing.

Well, that's different. Those aren't on true dedicated sport apps - as in for NBA or MLB - but instead apps like FOXTEL Go in Australia. Formula 1 is on NBCSN's app, which is only accessible if you already have a cable subscription. It (and Fox and ESPN's) are alternative options for existing subscribers, whereas a F1 dedicated app would be only for the sport.

The most fun is the NBA App going to the in-arena production during TV advertisements, it's a trip.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

[Edit] ^^^^^^ nope, they just don't use any topside wings. The spoiler on the rear end does enough.

iospace posted:

What's the weather forecast for the race?

Just checking quickly, looks slightly cloudy/sunny with temps high 70sF/25-26C ambient. Race starts 2 pm local and no chance of rain.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MotoGP Is Good, and it’s been this good for about three-four years.

Not sure how Márquez made that save too. Unreal.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Sadly it was some form of Volvo 240 quite possibly with a turbo. It was bought for a booze cruise to France, and then ended it’s life a year later when it shat out it’s big end all over the A57.

Given the rate of speed your mom achieved I’d imagine it had a very non-stock turbo attached. Turbo lag = fun!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

wicka posted:

Baijiu. Chinese liquor that smells like a dirty sock and tastes much the same.

I got top-3 drunk on that one night in Beijing and it did not feel good at all. Too much of that and you start hallucinating.

The Japanese equivalent is Strong Zero. I can’t stand chuhais, I’ll take beers instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Norns posted:

When I was living in Korea turkey was super hard to find. They opened a quiznoes in the last year i was there. Ate so many turkey sandwiches.

Same. Impossible to find turkey deli meat in Japan. Only whole turkeys for purchase are I think on the US military bases or through some kind of devilry.

• Locked thread