Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
random question that mclaren's current predicament left me wondering about, but I can't really find much online that gives any insight to:

1) why did McLaren dump Peugeot so quickly in 1994? compared to honda right now they were light years ahead and at least could achieve podiums when they weren't blowing up, so surely there was potential. how were they in a position to back out of the peugeot agreement back then, but not honda now, given that it's that much worse results wise

2) why were honda so intent to get rid of david richards as part of their buyout of BAR in 2005? 2004 was BAR's best season and from all accounts richards had turned the team around, why would it make sense to get rid of the guy behind it all in place of nick loving fry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Gigi Galli posted:

It's just so insane that I thought it was just a rumor.

From what I've read on Reddit, it isn't as insane as it sounds.

Supposedly it's so they don't waste resources when testing cylinder configurations - it makes sense to test a concept with one cylinder and then scale it up when it's refined rather than building a whole V6 unit each time. Apparently the problem is that the engine was designed for Mobil1/Exxon fuel and the change to Castrol was too late in its development cycle for them to adapt to. That's what's being reported at least, there's always the chance Honda really are that incompetent and are trying to shift blame.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Gigi Galli posted:

It's similar and very good.

can confirm, I used to live in Spain and iberico/serrano ham was incredible

as far as spanish dishes, idk just make paella or tapas or something

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Tsaedje posted:

Manchego cheese

oh gently caress i forgot about this

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

HJB posted:

While looking for that one Dreamcast game I found someone who put in a cheat code for Maldonado Mode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWRSRQMRP2c&t=105s

Quality soundtrack too, Formula EJ eat your heart out.

lol if you didn't play racing games by driving around the circuit the wrong way and trying to hit every car

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

wicka posted:

Alonso is a guy who drives
He is a driver who drives fast
He is a good person to drive cars
People flock to him to lose at driving
Rock and roll Alonso's
Rock and roll Alonso's
Rock and roll Alonso's
Rock and roll Alonso's

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

I was in love with this poster until I noticed the perspective on the right rear of the Indycar makes no sense at all, and now I can't unsee it.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Troy Queef posted:

I'll be the first to say it:

WELL DONE TAKU

is there some joke I'm supposed to be getting :(

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Dubs posted:

f1 sucks

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

am I the only one who's sick of shoeys, it makes me cringe every time I see it purely by virtue of how gross it must be

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Human Grand Prix posted:

The MP4/6 was good but I think Honda's decision to pursue a V12 was the wrong one, although it was extremely powerful. Also the chassis was too conservative both electronically and aero wise as well.

I've tried looking online but why did they switch to a V12? Their V10 was just fine and they had to spend the whole 1991 season desperately developing it to stay on par with the Renault V10 of the Williams. Was it just Honda.txt and wanting a new challenge for the sake of it?

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

wasn't there a rumor that they were looking into taking over the BMW engine facilities when they pulled out or was I imagining that

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

the hero we deserve has returned

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Wirth1000 posted:

I forgot who called me the king of overrating poo poo drivers or whatever it was but just prefacing this post with that cause...

....I've always considered di Resta to be a pretty good midfielder. He should have left Force India sooner while his stock was higher before getting dumped by them.

I saw a post somewhere saying he got dumped by them because he did a really bad job of hiding that he thought he deserved a drive with a better team and it rubbed them the wrong way.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

as someone who's only had a passing interest in motogp, can someone explain how dovizioso, a rider who was otherwise mediocre, on a ducati, a team so bad even rossi couldn't salvage it, is suddenly winning the championship?

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

wicka posted:

Holy poo poo at the people who don’t unreservedly love Dovi. I’m a god drat piece of poo poo moron and I’ve loved that dude for years.

I only really follow motogp through reading results so I don't really know of anyone that isn't a WDC or that dude with the afro who died

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Williams had already decided to replace him with Frentzen at the start of the year

I've read a bunch about this because his move to Arrows has always morbidly fascinated me in how bizarre it was, the general gist I've gotten is that Williams considered him too inconsistent to be a #1 driver and he was only given that role because of Senna's death. His repeated mistakes in 1995 pretty much sealed his fate with the team and he vastly overestimated his worth after winning the WDC in 1996, even despite Frentzen having already signed. Arrows were the only team willing to pay what he wanted because of Pedro Diniz bringing pay driver money in, and like Villeneuve with BAR a few years later, he thought he could create a team around him to take on Schumacher.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

I might have missed this but can someone explain the logistics of the Aston Martin/Red Bull thing? Surely they haven't got the facilities to produce their own engine, and if Mercedes weren't willing to supply McLaren engines, why would they with Red Bull via Aston Martin?

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

1500quidporsche posted:

Okay well I tried to warn you I just got some dumb title promotion today, went karting and had a few brewskis so its gonna be a little Tony Montana-esque Most of this is gonna be unintelligable.

I feel like the rise of the "Silicon Valley"-VC complex is attributable to a major shift in consumer attitude towards how they interact with products and services, specifically in regards to the concept of ownership and the idea of corporate social responsibility.

On the first point: The modern stock market system, investors and economy in general have really tended to favor large firms in a fairly established industry with relatively few players that work towards moderate incremental growth over the long term since the mid 90s. I think the "consistent growth at all costs" approach coupled with the use of stock options in executive compensation and pressure from investors for stable returns has meant that these corporations become overwhelmingly conservative in how they operate, looking for efficiencies through cutting expenses or small pricing increases rather than testing completely new concepts. The problem is that most these companies have on the long term faced relatively little competition because they have operated with few other competitors that have built themselves up to a size that makes it impossible for anybody else to break into the industry.

The refusal to break these firms up coupled with their entrenchment with regulations hurting newcomers is what has given rise to the VC model. Operating with unlimited funds and outside the traditional scrutiny of a publicly traded company "the start up" can enter the marketplace against a bunch of entrenched players and undercut their price-point significantly. The incumbents, still constrained by their investors, are unable to adapt and basically bleed market-share to this new player until enough of them die off and the new player, now with a significant share of the market, can offer an IPO to cash out the VC partners.

Its this disturbing cycle where a select view group of people have identified that you can exploit the way the modern financial system has evolved with enough cash, but instead of changing it to be a meritocracy fair for everyone government end up cutting just enough red tape to let the rich new player in before shutting the gate again.

To the second point its basically this: We as a society simply don't give a gently caress if we own something or not anymore and as much as my generation (millennials) will hate to here it we really don't give a gently caress about the fairness and social responsibility behind our products. The smart phone is a good example. nobody seems to think its a big deal anymore that you buy this $500-1,000 piece of electronics that is completely sealed off from you, was made by slave labour in china, and demands that you only interact with it in the ways that it wants you to because its convenient.

We've created this entire system where so long as something is convenient for us we are totally fine. We're willing to use Uber even though the drivers are treated like complete poo poo and aren't even employees of the company because its convenient. We use google because its convenient, even though it sucks up every marketable piece of data available into this black hole to spew more ads at you about the last five things you look at. We buy the iPhone because even though you have to buy expensive cordless headphones and can't change the battery or chose what you can put on the phone its convenient.

All this has done is create this race to the bottom where the company that can make a service the most convenient for us wins even though they've completely hosed over their employees/suppliers/general health of the industry in the process.

Society as a whole needs to make more informed decisions and letting the big picture influence their purchases. I shop at Costco, the lines at checkout suck rear end, it looks like poo poo in there and I hate how loving crowded it is, but they pay their employees decently and give them benefits so I think its worth it. Its a small stupid thing but I think if we all started thinking like that it would make it very difficult for these stupid loving firms to burst into industries by virtue of ignoring all the rules and offering some sleek looking product that is marginally more convenient. The sooner we start looking at how a company treats everyone in society as a whole, the sooner we stop racing towards the bottom and instead start trying to elevate everyone in society.

nice meltdown

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll Driver of the day

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll Driver of the day

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Funzo posted:

I just need Dan to move to another team so I don't have to cheer for Red Bull.

if you told me 5 years ago i'd be cheering for red bull now i'd be so disgusted

i still am :cripes:

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Didn't Lewis say he was going to do this?

He's always gone well around COTA too, so it'd be extra funny if he won the race after doing it.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

iospace posted:

I guess they take after their hero

:vince:

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

i think hes a handsome lad

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

this is the first motogp race i've ever watched live, and i only caught the last 4 laps

there was more excitement in those last 4 laps than all of f1 since like 2008

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

wicka posted:

why is this so motherfucking funny, I can't stop laughing

i rarely say anything like this but my stomach is hurting irl from laughing

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

good lord i still get goosebumps

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

julian assflange posted:

*Ted Kravitz strolls around the garages having totally chill chats with everyone while this plays on a loop*

https://youtu.be/mFSxWVuqp50

this is so wholesome

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Tsaedje posted:

Some dangerously unfunny 'burns' there. Worthy of this thread.

Nothing can top Felipe "AIDS" Massa

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

iospace posted:

*looks at her 670*

Yeah I'm good.

I'm still using my radeon 7950 I got 4 years ago and it runs most things on high just fine v:v:v

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Theophany posted:

It's a garbage holiday and by extension all food traditionally served for it is garbage. Who even eats turkey on the reg out of choice rather than the belief that it is somehow healthier than chicken, pork or beef?

This is correct. Turkey is the worst meat. It's like chicken but poo poo and much harder to cook. I moved to the US 5 years ago and every time I've had Thanksgiving dinner it was bland turkey and hosed up casseroles I've never even heard of, so my thanksgiving dinner would be a few slices of turkey, ham and some dinner rolls. Have Americans not heard of roast potatoes or something?

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Theophany posted:

Roast spuds in duck/goose fat :swoon:

Duck fat automatically makes anything incredible :swoon:

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Pirate Radar posted:

I thought all thanksgiving food was garbage until I became an adult and gained enough perspective to realize that my grandmother is a lot of things but a good cook isn’t one of them

I can’t understand hating even lovely mac and cheese though wtf

The first and only time I had mac and cheese was in 2006. It was slimy and chewy and I had actively concentrate to stop myself from throwing up everywhere.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Pirate Radar posted:

Wtf was wrong with your macs and your cheeses then

Norns posted:

Uhhh you didn't eat Mac and cheese buddy

Apparently I've had terrible luck and every host I've stayed with in the US have been terrible cooks

Powershift posted:

I'm having trouble imagining a person so hosed up that they couldn't eat pasta.

also this tbh, I can eat pasta if I have to but I don't particularly enjoy it

Rhopunzel fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 23, 2017

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Powershift posted:

I think you'll find there are at least 2 things italian that are good

1. Macaroni
2. Cheese

u might say this is as relevant as a macaroni and cheese briefcase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Tsaedje posted:

Literally nobody else wants the impossible job of making F1 tyres that are simultaneously reliable and exciting

the racing is just as exciting now as it was with the bulletproof bridgestones, it was funny for like 3 seconds in 2011 when tires lasted for 2 laps before exploding but now everyone's adjusted it has no effect on the running order

• Locked thread