Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

the42ndtourist posted:

N: Ceci left the game injured.

V: Normally I be very happy, but do they even have a warm body to replace him with? Already kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel with Karlsson and Methot out.

https://twitter.com/SensNation/status/847639596259196928

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I'd resolved in September to give just as many fucks about the Sens as the owner did, and if this train wreck keeps on keepin' on you won't even have to deal with playoff posting from me.

Meh who am I kidding LET'S GO CAPS

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

What a thing to have happen on free Etch-a-Sketch night.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Anderson and Karlsson Andersoning and Karlsonning, mainly.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Schremp Howard posted:

Christ how do you go from "confident he'll be back for playoffs" to "herniated disc, four to six month"?

Same way you can go from "The Head Coach has my complete confidence" to "We are proud to welcome Mike Keenan"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

The first round last year (which the Senators missed) was the first one I'd really watched more than one team, and holy balls was that one of the best playoff rounds I've ever seen.

Conclusion: First rounds are good and system hockey is boring, but winning is not boring.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

It's great hearing about how long ago some players disliked some other players, and now a totally different group of guys who weren't in country or born when that happened put on different uniforms to continue that visceral hatrfaaaaaaaaarrrrrttt

Then again, I have it on good authority that Potvin still Sucks, so :shrug:

I'm convinced the only reason baseball has all of those stats is because if they didn't, this is what they'd talk about instead. Not sure if I'd rather hear about whose grandpa hates whose other grandpa, or shot-blocking percentages by left-handed defensemen on odd-numbered Februaries in western conference rinks.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

ThinkTank posted:

He traded a ton of picks (more than Mike Gillis in half the time even though Gillis was running a cup contender) and prospects for short term fixes for no reason whatsoever. He tosses picks away like candy so much so that despite the fact this would be a dead last finish nearly any other year we once again don't have a full complement of picks going into the draft.

Seriously, go through his trade history and literally only his last two trades have any semblance of an eye to the future. He bleeds value in every single deal he makes, and he dramatically overpays for guys he targets then signs them to giant extensions.

it'll probably taken another 5-8 years to unravel this mess. You know, I think it might've been possible to rebuild the Canucks quickly back in 2014 if the team had tried that. Instead they didn't and we got 6 playoff games out of it and now it means a full teardown rebuild is necessary. Fun.

I can't think of a Benning pun so I'm still going to keep calling it a Feaster Famine.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Joe Juneau might be available because the team he's running for at risk Innu kids is getting shut down for not preventing enough crime.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

It's no "Thrusting Bungpipes" but I like it all the same.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

DJExile posted:

Steve Mason calling out the goalie platoon idea

Worked in Ottawa with Rhodes and Tugnutt, two serviceable goalies who took turns playing badly. Sounds like Someone's wondering why the kid across the street gets his own power wheels car he doesn't have to share with his brother.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Mike Condon is a Good Goaltender and the Pittsburgh Penguins should not have stopped asking him to play hockey with them.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

If you can play, you can play.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Thornton's not human, it's as simple as that.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

I dunno about those three but I'm pretty sure SAS could do a better job running a hockey team than Jim Benning, but that's more an indictment on Jim Benning than a commendation of our hockey knowledge.

Twitch Manages Hockey Team.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Suspicious posted:

Right now we're at "pick the best francophone(s) available for coach/GM". Could we please just fast forward to the inevitable second part?

But Colorado already has a hockey team.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Mind_Taker posted:

Best player is probably still Crosby.

Can't be awarded posthumously

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Aye Doc posted:

and then they replace Malkin with Bonino, it's simple trickle down hockeynomics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_2Ky_nU2ys

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Wayne Gretzky (ours, not the other one) is a prophet https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506614&userid=122025

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Gudas on the label means winning's off the table

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Maybe he just stopped caring and venturad off somewhere.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

corn on the cop posted:

That's probably the worst series loss of the Lundqvist era, right? In terms of sheer "How did they gently caress that up?"

Knowing nothing about Rangers hockey beyond how he's one of the best goalies not to have a ring, I'm going with yes.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

Yeah he's locked up for another 2 years I think. I'm sick and tired of how he flashes potential and then disappears for 2 weeks.

You're gonna love Zibanejad then.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

JawKnee posted:

if you fire AV he is instantly the best available coach on the market by a long shot

e: honestly, the problem here seems to be "AV plays bad players more than good ones" so... the rags GM should do something about the bad players then?

If the Senators had been eliminated, would people seriously be calling for Boucher to be fired because he gave all that ice time to Ceci and Phaneuf? I wouldn't think so.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

https://twitter.com/MartyBannister/status/862483125422698497

Seriously though, are there people who still question the guy's desire to win? Look at him after he scores literally every goal, you can't fake that.

:ohdear: can you?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

T-Bone posted:

7. Glenn Healy suffers everyday bagpipe injury
Your typical cliché NHL upper-body injury. Backup Toronto Maple Leafs goaltender cuts hand while cleaning his bagpipes (the actual Scottish instrument, not a locker-room metaphor), requires 40 stitches. Yawn.

And yet the noise that comes out of his mouth manages to be worse.

The Golden Man posted:

Jordan Eberle For Sale

Yes please.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Cody Ceci's only 23.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Powershift posted:

In the worlds right now, he's on finland's 4th line and they lost to france 5-1

There's gotta be some sort of virus that only affects fins and makes you bad at hockey.

Probably insanity from playing against Finnish goalies for years, like how cat brains get broken from endlessly chasing a laser pointer they won't catch.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Don't know why they bothered with an NMC, it's not like anyone could get him to make a lateral move before.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Where's OMGWTFBBQ and his thread-wide html wizardry when you need him? Sad Perry is my favourite kind of Perry and this is a wonderful day.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

The more I read about Nashville hockey fans the more I like them and the worse I feel about subjecting them to two games of 1-3-1 hockey and their first cup win coming on a road game.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I'm a realist but I'm still a bit of a homer; no way I'd predict a sweep. Sens would take game 2.

Schlesische posted:

Yes.
If the Preds win they will be winning from the 8th seed in the West, and as the lowest seed overall.

something something Kings

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

yellowcar posted:

Benning would trade draft picks just to get them back.

I laughed harder at this than I had any right to.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Don: Raghr wargh whatsis sposta be a good Canadian kid, dressed like I dunno, wouldn't see Bobby Orr come to the rink, every day... I tell them... I used to tell my guys gotta look sharp

Ron: "Like you"

Don: Well they can't all look this sharp but you're makin millions of dollars, and yer dressed like a... one of those, well this isn't the NBA you're traveling and you're representing Canada you gotta make it look good not walk around lookin like THAT, time for Matthew Adam to grow up!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

The team that was supposed to finish tenth in the conference finished third overall. As much as I want to be disappointed by the way they played in this OT, or annoyed that somehow the loving penguins are going to yet another SCF in one of the worst officiated series of hockey to be played, nobody who follows the Sens has any right to be upset with this amazing run.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Jordan7hm posted:

Sens 100% did not lose because of reffing.

With that out of the way, I never want to watch another series reffed like this. The trap is one thing, but the fact they didn't call anything the past two games when there was interference and holding on every shift was a joke. This game was particularly bad. Ottawa was draped all over Crosby, Pageau had a breakaway taken away with hooks, and again, there was interference on every single play.

Basically this. It's not "ragh the refs we lost" because nobody wants to win like that either, it's "ragh playoff officiating, while routinely poo poo, was garbage poo poo in a puke toilet fire in this particular series". Calvinball on ice is great action and all but still, gently caress.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Jordan7hm posted:

I wonder if Melnyk gets rid of Boucher after a losing bad attendance streak.

It's awesome how far they made it, but the bad hockey is still going to be bad hockey next season. How much is winning worth if you can't sell out playoff games?

That's a whole nother discussion but it has just as much to do with Gene being a whiny, allegedly drunken and yelly, unlikeable fuckhammer as it does about people's disinterest in driving out past the totally navigable waters of the Booniefuck River to watch the likes of dat guy there eh and the other fella and $7M Dion Phaneuf do the one-tree-one against the Avalanche in late February. It's only in the last few months that personnel decisions have threatened ot make sense, and even then I'd still happily argue Brass for Zibby and ask you where the hell Chris Kelly came from. The memory of yelling at our televisions over some of the poo poo Murray laid on us in the last few years is still fresh.

Season ticket holders make great playoff fans. We'll see if a narrow but deserved ECF loss can cook some up for us. Hopefully before the love affair ends and people remember what Guy Boucher tells teams with marginal defensemen to do.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 26, 2017

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Jordan7hm posted:

The Kanata reason doesn't really jive with me though. The arena has always been there (well, not always, but for a long time). If anything even more people live out there.

Well good for them. Everyone who lives east of the museum has always thought it was a giant pain in the rear end, and as convenient as it sounds to get on a 400-series bus, getting back is still annoying because there's only one park & ride and it's in loving Rockland.

I'll go to a game, sure. A playoff game or two yeah, if I don't have to drive because just lol at a $30 parking fee. But 41 times a year there and back plus parking lot mayhem? No. I did a half-season once, in 2007, and by December I couldn't give the tickets away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Xtanstic posted:

God I hope he drives Karlsson away

For Karlsson's sake, I completely agree. Or give him a Ray Borque trade.

Actually no don't do that cause by that time it'll probably be loving Pittsburgh's turn again.

• Locked thread