Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Supposedly the artist is working on a bigger scale Hollow Knight MOC. Looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

"True ending" being a Radiant kill and not the Godmaster ending I assume?

Yes.

Gonna enjoy my govt furlough by binge posting AGDQ.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I started my 3rd playthrough last night. I'm not completely lost like I was in my first playthrough, and not using a guide like I did in my second. Just wandering and enjoying the art and music.

The first few bosses are really easy after you've played the game through a few times. And Mantis Lords with no upgrades is a lot of fun.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Deckit posted:

This game is really good at evoking sadness from me.

Honestly, this is probably what I like most about the game.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

The funny thing is that the fakeout is telegraphed by the lack of a hunter's journal update and lack of a victory fanfare, but you're so elated at your "victory" that it doesn't register and then oops you're getting repeatedly bodyslammed into the dust.

It's brilliant and I love it.

Got caught by this in the pantheon today. I had completely forgotten about it. It was amazing.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

In “I’m definitely not that good” news, I finally got around to unlocking the Grimm fit. That’s a fun one to learn.

Then I went and took a few shots at NKG. Wow. Talk about intense. It’ll take some time, but I’m pretty sure I can get him down.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Glare Seethe posted:

You can. If you beat Grimm you can beat NKG. That fight is such a great spectacle.

I started working on it this afternoon and ya, I can totally do this. He’s easy to read. I just need to stop letting myself get cornered and stop making dumb choices during the bullet hell part.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

Where is the HK Comic from?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0X-Ea_EAXhoTEZVeTJMdVBfcTQ/view?usp=drivesdk

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

YggiDee posted:

So is Hornet, like, a million years old?

Since they were both born before The Radiance was sealed away, the knight would be almost the same age

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Watched that video and got the urge to play again, so I went back and started working on a few achievements. I was following a guide for the 5 hour speedrun but got stuck on the Watcher Knights.

So instead I loaded up my main file and finished off NKG. That is the most satisfying fight. Feels great to learn his patterns and how to react quickly enough.

Maybe I should grind enough to hit Perfect Vessel...

TheMadMilkman fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 7, 2019

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

And now that I've seen what the last boss is. I wouldn't be able to do him, either. Hahaha. Holy poo poo. That fight is brutal.

I found her to be a lot easier to learn than HK was, tbh.

I get having a place where you’re just done with the game. There’s a few things that I still haven’t bothered to finish. But dang it, everyone should play long enough to experience NKG.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Lol I’m gonna dork around in godmaster but no way will I ever get there. Gonna try nightmare king Grimm though, think I have a shot at that.

NKG is bar none the best fight in the game. Enjoy.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Alxprit posted:

Ahem... Sisters of Battle, anyone?

Also one of the top fights, definitely. I still bow every time I beat them.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I bought my 3rd copy of this game on Friday (switch digital, switch physical, and now PC). Holy crap it plays different on PC. I had to completely relearn how to pogo.

Gonna go for Godmaster now.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Western-most edge of the world map.

No, keep going.

West?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

that guy took me some tries but it was a lot of fun

I came back and got the shade soul and that fight was hard until I realized the upgraded ground pound is OP

This is true for pretty much every fight. It's great. Insane damage plus invincibility frames.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Organza Quiz posted:

I'm the person who somehow totally missed the mantis lord fight altogether and merrily continued through most of the rest of the game before eventually seeing references to it online and looking up where it was.

Same. I even went back to the mantis village a few times because I could see that there was something different with the floor. I just never managed to wander up to the correct switch to open it.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Organza Quiz posted:

I'm personally stuck on the first Grimm fight since I can't for the life of me figure out dodging his bullet hell attack effectively and even if i dodge everything else perfectly that just takes too much health off me, but I just rebought the game on Steam so I'm hoping once I'm done replaying and get up to that again I'll be magically more in control of my jump height.

We’re you playing on console before? Because I also recently bought the PC version on GOG and it really does feel completely different. It actually took me a long time to start competently pogoing on spikes again because I was so used to accounting for lag in the Switch version.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Watching that NKG had me thinking that ya, I could learn this but it would take 6 months and destroy my wrists. And then the 2nd NKG appeared and I was like, nope. Never gonna happen.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

And here I was proud of myself for beating the final boss with one HP left, frantically dodging lasers and taking one last diving swing at it.

That's exactly how your first play through should go, honestly. But after 2 or 3 runs through you start getting pissed when you don't curb stomp every boss in under 20 seconds.

Also, I agree that, thematically, PV fits with POP. But hell no.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

But persistence paid off, but so far not with that drat trial...furthest I can get is a couple waves past when you have to do several waves entirely wall jumping in a smaller space above spikes. Since you can't heal, I end up low on health, then can never get enough time to fully heal back.

Watch some speed runs of the trials. It’s a great way to learn how to efficiently handle those sections.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ya I failed that quest at the end a few times. So very frustrating.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

JonathonSpectre posted:

Watching my friend play for the first time and he just got to Deepnest. Watching someone's reaction to this loving nightmare is really taking me back.

Walking out of the Mantis Lord room to find that enormous pile of corpses is some A#1 visual storytelling.

I noped back out of there so fast my first time through.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Just beeline to the stag station and go somewhere else.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I love watching people play through Godhome.

I still haven’t done the 4th or 5th Patheons myself. Just can’t find the motivation to grind them out.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I died dozens of times to some bosses. Lost Kin in particular took me a long time, as did normal Grimm. I got through the standard ending blind, and the hidden ending with some walkthrough help.

Then I started watching speedruns, and realized I could play way better than I was. I was WAY too cautious and didn’t use spells nearly as often as I should have.

I still struggle with some fights because I suck at watching two bosses at once, but I can tear most of them apart pretty easily.

I’d seriously suggest watching some kills of bosses you’ve already beaten. If they kill the boss way too fast by abusing magic, watch a nail only kill or a full binding kill from the pantheons.

I’m a 41 year old with bad reaction times who mainly plays Animal Crossing. Trust me, you can Git Gud.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

You can safely bookmark the silksong thread since we have pretty much zero information about it.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The first two pantheons are pretty easy, too.

I'm not saying don't step away from the game for a while. But HK is a game that always draws me back in to try the next thing, and finishing the first 3 pantheons isn't too bad, especially if you're capable of taking down NKG after only 45 minutes.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I lost a steel soul run to the stupid trap room heading to Isma’s Tear. Completely blanked that there was one there. Oops.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Best charm build:

[Technically spoilers if you haven't gotten the good ending yet]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKunxVcLv9g

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

NKG is probably my favorite boss fight in any game ever. Yes, it sucks to learn. Yes, the margin of error is tiny. But it is a fair fight, and the music and presentation make it feel as epic as it should be.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

b_d posted:

i disagree that it sucks to learn. the intro and music start are badass and restarting the fight is like a 10 second dream transition + superdash.

It took me A LOT of attempts. At one point I thought it was beyond my capabilities.

Someday I’ll go back and do the pantheons. But not today.

I should also say that I’ve benefited greatly from watching other people play. I did the fight blind, but I apparently do well at imitating better players on replays. Which I still do every few months.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The game is also just more responsive on PC compared to the Switch version.

I use a DS4.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I.G. posted:

Can someone give me a hint on what to do next to advance toward the "true" ending? I've freed the three dreamers and just picked up Void Heart.

Git gud.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I think saying that you freed the dreamers is a valid statement. Being stuck in the dream doesn’t strike me as a particularly comfortable state, given that the dream is basically the source of corruption for bugs.

Also, Monomon summons Quirrel. She definitely understood that the seal was failing and her death was assured.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Watcher Knights is easily my least favorite fight in the entire game. But I also admit that I'm bad at any of the bosses that involve two or more mobs attacking me at the same time.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Super dashing through the mines and over the lake did it for me.

The top of Crystal Peak made me stop and sit, but sitting next to Quirrel on the bench and listening to the rain was probably my favorite moment.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Martman posted:

Hard to answer, but I wanna give a shout out to the Coliseum of Fools. After feeling isolated and lost for so long it feels like the only place in Hallownest that's still really functioning, and has crowds and a social atmosphere and stuff. Gets you fired up about the fact that there are still people here who could maybe be helped.

Man you read that area way differently than I did. I saw it as the very last remnants of a dead society, so far gone that there’s nothing left but gambling and death matches.

I mean, Lord Fool is a dead husk in the middle of the stands, and they just nonchalantly toss the corpses of defeated bugs into Kingdom’s Edge. A LOT of corpses, too.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Every time Silksong is not featured in a Nintendo Direct i go ahead and replay Hollow Knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The Brothers and Watcher Knights are my personal least favorites. I’m terrible at keeping track of multiple bosses.