Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BardoTheConsumer posted:

On topic: the bad part is that i used to like some of these people. Why people laughed at creationists was a good series and armored skeptic had some good videos in spite of the retarded gimmick stolen from logicked, who actually probably also belongs on this list for similar reasons to AS.

I'm not sure whether debunking stupid creationist arguments just wasn't lucrative enough or the YouTube atheist community all got simultaneously redpilled or what but the loss of half the people I used to listen to in the background is actually pretty sad. If someone has a better explanation for exactly what happened I'd love to hear it.

same, though i liked thunderfoot, he did a cool campaign against sack of poo poo tvangelica "healer" peter popoff.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I like hbomberguy's videos about these nards

same. he is funny and has pretty good taste in games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mBn7E9Ot5I

i can't tell if this is parody or not.:(

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I mean, you never know, but the guy thanks Kindergarten Cop for teaching him his views on gender, so I'd lean on parody.

yeah that and some other poo poo made me question it. it seemed to "openly extream/self aware" to be real.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Looked like Hux from the new Star Wars to me.

it is hux. its from some magazine cover with him kylo and brianne of tarth. though the comparison isnt with out merits and the new order are basicaly the alt right of the empire.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Armstrong is one of my favorite villains because the reveal that he actually has ideals and goals (being presented as heartless and greedy before) makes him more of a monster.

Hell people root for the empire in star wars. Literal space Nazis

i like the empire or at least find them interesting. and Armstrong is basically the idealized version of trump if he was actually charismatic or smart. also andrew ryan is villian i love because i can see why he beilives his awful bullshit.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Huzanko posted:

Just wanted to say I've been watching Chez Lindsay and Contra Points thanks to this thread and these are actual YouTube intellectuals, as opposed to whatever the gently caress "Sargon of whatever the gently caress" is. Love ContraPoints' video about The Rubin Report.

lindsay is ok, contrapoints is better in my opinion.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Yeah but you don't think Andrew Ryan is right

true.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

inkblot posted:

Armstrong is the best Metal Gear villain in the entire series.

yeah. i like volgin just for being a straight up bad guy and i kinda dig skullface despite the let down.

also replying to the empire thing. New canon is trying to soften the nazi poo poo a little bit.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Are you joking? Theres a scene in Force Awakens of the SS office dude holding a literal Nazi rally as they blow up a bunch of planets. Theres more nazi poo poo than ever.

yeah. i guess i was more trying to say, in the movies/books/comics, they are more diverse now at least human wise. one of the main grand admirals/main characters is black lady.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

I think this might actually above all (well ignoring the blatant racism and sexism) be why it got such a hugely negative reaction from the alt-right. In the old movies it was always subtext where in The Force Awakens it was just straight up 'hey look at all these horrible nazis'. Not to even mention how stoic Darth Vader got replaced by a whining Kylo Ren. Don't want anyone to get the wrong idea about your villain's? Just make them overtly pathetic. The movie even with fucks with you if you think this kind of character is cool, it was a very deliberate choice to keep Kylo in Helmet and mostly quiet for the first half the movie to then raise the veil and show the audience the bumbled mess of emotions that was hiding underneath.

Pretty much but I liked kylo Renn, because he is basically a sad brains fanboy of his grand pa and a inversion of Vader. Vader is cool because he is a scary monster who has a quiet but commanding presence. Kylo is the site equivalent of a school shooter.

OwlFancier posted:

I was gonna say the original three movies has the empire as more like fantasy bad guys than "realistic" bad guys, which is in keeping with the idea that it's a fantasy film with the words "laser" or "space" placed in front of a lot of the nouns.

Pretty much.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

business hammocks posted:

There's a book about them and the rest of the alt-right coming out tomorrow:

https://www.amazon.com/Kill-All-Normies-Culture-Alt-Right/dp/1785355430

i like nagal and honestly i think she understands the alt right the best and how/why they tick and its more complex then a lot of people act, not that its excusable.

business hammocks posted:

I may have said this before, but I like how direct and earnest Anita Sarkeesian is with her videos. It took me a long time to realize that the title of this series is a pun on "freak show" because she's so straight-laced and direct. I'm so used to weary irony and cynical contempt that it's very refreshing to see someone who's simply appalled at our horrible world, as my simmering cynicism prevents me from really acknowledging that truth. It's probably a much healthier response and I wish it were more natural for me. I love Contrapoints, but his "dark mother, cold mother" riffs on her do a disservice to what she's about, although I like him have probably lost the capacity to be shocked without prompting.

yeah, he stuff has gotten alot better, but i prefer Lindsey ellis, contrapoints, and liana kerzner. her old stuff under her old co-director and co writer was pretty ehh and once he hosed off she got better and less straight faced preachy. I dont agree with everything she says but she is better.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

Her former co-director was the dude who does Pop culture Detective right? I've seen a few of his videos and yeah, he can be a bit much sometimes. One of those leftists who's not wrong but might need to be reminded now and then to tone it down some because your not helping.

i am sorry, but that guy is massive prick and waste to the left in my opinion. what sucks is i agree with alot of his left leaning stuff(bernie, help the working class and poor rural whites/poc, engagement ideas.) but he is morality police type. He has a hard on for violence in video games and movies and every e3 he goes off on a twitter tirade. if its not loving newt from harry potter or steven universe, its toxic and bad. he carries the puritan cultural memes hard from his evangelical days and he veers pretty drat close to jack Thompson territory alot. the best part is most of the other activists in the gaming community, openly mock and laugh at him. the dudes loving toxic. i mean the dude got pissy because they made tracer a lesbian because she is attractive and thats bad because guys would find that attractive potentially and if guys find it attractive its toxic. people called him out on it and he backed off. he also tried to bring down normal boots after they threw jontron rightfully to the curb. he got mad because they must have known his politics and they were all complicit and should shut down their channels too. he starts poo poo and when people call him off he runs away or says he was pretending to outrageous to protect women.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 7, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

rkajdi posted:

Source your quotes, dude.

no, thats sadly fully me.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sorry, like i am cool with most other critc and like a bunch of them even i dont always agree with them, but that dude rubs me the wrong way hard, much like movie bob. yeah he makes good points about masculinty but the dude needs to get his poo poo straight.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 7, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Didn't she go full right wing over dumb stuff? That's what my one friend told.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Midig posted:

Wait, are people actually mad about Wolfenstein or are they just parodying the people who got mad over Far Cry 5?

probably, it seems to be mostly alt right dips and shitposter trolls on /pol/ reddit and twitter and youtube. the most of the big alt right talking heads wont touch on it probably. the literal only other person not a nazi or wannabe nazi i saw on social media get upset about wolfenstein was Jonathan McIntosh, but thats like saying water is wet.

http://www.dorkly.com/post/83711/nazi-pissboys-are-crying-over-a-new-game-where-you-murder-nazis

here is a good colection of nazis getting mad.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

these fucks are so dumb they don't even try an argument like "not every german soldier was a nazi! lots were conscripts!" that has even a modicum of not being batshit insane to it, they just go straight to "killing nazis? heh so much for the tolerant left."

yep pretty much. i mean the machine game wolfensteins are weird mix of exploitation film/Tarantino violence and ideas, amazing characters/moments/a sex scene that wasnt creepy or exploitative and man in high castle. everyone should play it. its made by most of old starbreez studios, who made riddick games and the darkness 1(2 is good too) and syndicate(which was pretty good on its own). seriously buy new order, its cheap as gently caress right now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Somfin posted:

No kidding, that was one of the classiest sex scenes I've ever seen in a video game. It's also a really well done example of a middle aged straight white male protagonist (ie, he's interesting and fun to play)

yeah really. and BJ is like a genuinely great and deep/tragic character and i am not being ironic, dude ranks up with geralt and other genuinely well written characters. I mean he is literally Samson, he is big super strong motivated american polish jew who is kept alive by his hatred of the nazis. but he has a genuinly tender side and the game doesnt fall into a bunch of tropes, the ex-nazi resistance member is genuinly a tragic and good person and you feel bad for him. and loving jimmy hendrix is there. and they honestly potray that nazis as well realistically evil and kinda make you sorta question your actions at times. its a weird mix of pulpy b movie stuff with violence and gore and weird nazi poo poo but it never goes to far in a dumb way but it shows genuine horrors of Nazism. its loving awesome and weird how they balance the stuff. i mean engel is basically GILF Elsa she wolf of the SS but she is an actual character.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

The only bad thing about the New Wolfenstein is that you move like one of the walking tanks from the Gears of War games instead of the barely controlled racecar with a gun of the first Wolfenstein 3D games.

yeah, i can see that. then again apperently in the beginning of the new game, Blaskow starts off in a wheelchair and shoots nazis and does all this cool poo poo in one. thats loving awesome, especially as a cripple myself.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

these are all from different books.

jesus christ. what the gently caress is that insanity?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

So I've been watching more of that Destiny v. Sargon vid (it's a very long video), and although I like Destiny, I do have to somewhat question his beliefs of the economic benefits of mass immigration. He knows that doing so will increase the labor supply, which will in turn lower wages, but seems to think it's okay because we'll be able to get cheaper products and goods. This seems like a common argument I've seen in libertarian circles.

edit: oh dear, Destiny's supporting the idea of sweatshops :smith:

The jontron "debate" was great. Destiny tried his best to give him MULTIPLE chances to clarify his position to make him seem not racist, and somehow it kept getting worse each time.

there is a good chapo episode out right now about the alt right and it points out how terrible liberals are at fighting/debating/interviewing the alt right. part of the reason is that kinda poo poo. jontron is easy because he is an idiot who parrots poo poo whispered in his ear.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

probaly because he belives(somewhate rightly) that he would survive under facism maybe even thrive as some midlevel useful idiot. he wouldnt under communism.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

rkajdi posted:

No chance that guy gets anywhere in the long term. He's too dumb to keep his head down, and not charismatic enough to actually run things. Being seen and not in charge just makes you a target when someone gets too paranoid about internal threats.

He'd make an excellent fascist leader, though. I mean, considering he just has to matchup with idiots who do things like start an unprovoked war with an erstwhile ally or just fail to move his economy onto war footing until years into a major conflict, I figure a half educated blowhard would fit right in.

oh yeah definatly. i am just saying he would last longer under facism then any strain of communism. he would be one of the first against the walls under them.

Groovelord Neato posted:

is it really hard to fathom twitter hiring someone to actually look at reports? shadowbanning for using potty words at shitlords is baby poo poo.

and yes they could've banned the president and it probably would've been the moral thing to do. keeping him on also hosed them out of a sale at one point lol

twitter sucks rear end and i never used it myself but i can sorta understand why they havent banned him. if they ban trump, it will be a massive loving online/media shitshow. the alt right would probaly burn the site to the ground. and i am sure trump would either just use the potus account or sue.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Wonder Woman is legit good, somehow. Doubly surprised because Zach Snyder co-wrote and co-produced it.

producer is basicaly just rubberstamp and money. I have yet to see it and i have heard its really good. Snyder is poo poo but i sorta like watchmen at least for the cinamatography/set design. parts of it do genuinly feel ripped from the comic and i like the actors for the most part except for ozymandias who they hosed up completely for the most part. rorshach is well done in it for being a broken insane hard right hobo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Archer666 posted:

I don't exactly agree with Anita's videos or anything, but this was a good thing that she did.

Yeah good for her, Sargon is a dumb sophist sack of poo poo and most Anita's dumb stuff was because of her ex cowriter/producer and he gone now.

rkajdi posted:

It's the same fight that has been happening in every corner of the nerd community:

1. Nerds set themselves up in some corner of fringe culture. Some of these guys are already the dreg losers we all worry about.
2. Losers glob onto this community, because nerds don't know how to police people out for being creepers, pedos, and bigots. See the nerd social fallacies for details.
3. Culture at large turns and these things become a little more interesting to normal people.
4. Losers get mad, because they realize that if things get normalized, they can't use the hobby for grooming/sex harassment/general creeper and white dude safe space.
5. Losers strike out against the cultural vanguards of normalcy moving in, which generally means women, minorities, etc.

We really haven't gotten to 6 with anything yet with any of this stuff. I'd like to hope it ends up with normal culture fully appropriating the corner, and the losers getting the boot when they don't comply. But it's not a guarantee and requires a lot of work to get done. I'm actually pretty sure video games will get there unless the industry implodes first, because there's real money and culture behind it. Normal culture puts up with some bigotry unfortunately, but the weird sex (body pillows and cranking it to anime) and pedo stuff will get you removed post haste. So these losers will constantly end up having to stay one step away from the long arm of society, or will get owned by even standard bigots like the "What about the memes?" Kekistani was at the Oathkeeper rally.

The real goal for all of us is to make sure that during step 5, these losers don't get to ruin decent people's lives (as happened to Zoe Quinn and her new boyfriend) and make sure they don't scorched earth the culture on their way out the door, like regressive comics fan are trying to do. Because these guys would totally rather something not exist than lose their grasp on it.
Pretty much. It's dumb kids raised on chan poo poo and weird broken assholes and jaded rear end in a top hat sophist who went hard right.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i have been bordly watching sargon stuff for the last few days. how does anyone like him? i am not even talking about the lovely politics or his lovely attempts at "covering up" how terrible they are. he is just isnt entertaining or interesting. he is just so loving boring and long winded. its just him bitching and comparing himself to voltaire.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

mojo1701a posted:

I think we've said this before, but he really sounds like a talk radio host. The only difference is that his audience is at an even lower level than the average talk radio listener.

yeah but i listen to podcasts/radio all the time and he is terrible at it.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i asked this about thunderfoot in the previous thread. even on evolution and stuff i'd agree with he would've been impossible to watch, his voice is loving awful.

same ish. though i loved his peter popoff videos.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

happyhippy posted:

He used to be watchable, when the anti-SJW was a new thing. Like when videos of female students demanding that men all commit CIS suicide. He sounded sane in comparison.
Then he started to lick up to Milo, had him on for a few episodes, went out for a few drinks with Milo, probably hosed Milo.
In my eyes he started to go mental after Milo got twitter banned, but when Brexit started he really ramped up the vitirol.

yeah. pretty much. he sounded sane and fine when he was making GBS threads on dumb rear end college students who overeact on ivy legue campuses because they want to pretend they are oppressed even when they come from old money and go to ivy legue schools and are mad when normal folks/lefties/whoever dont know the in and outs of first year humanities course and thinks it works exactly in practice(it doesn't, i am humanities too). but then he gets in bed with the alt right(probaly literaly) and basically targets anyone who is to the left/minority. then he started to legit believe the poo poo and here were are today.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dreylad posted:

I just finished Angela Nagle's book Kill All Normies about the alt-right/alt-light and while she doesn't directly touch any garbage humans (why bother) she does explore 4chan culture and the right of the alt-right. Also touches on gamergate and all the other crap that preceded where we are now. It's good.

yeah, i heard he various interviews and the ones on chapo. she always seemed to be the closest to understanding them.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dreylad posted:

Yeah, both as the originator of 4chan via moot and ADTRW (it's really weird to see the full name of that subforum in a real rear end book) and the stepping off point to gamergate when Quinn's disgruntled ex-boyfriend spewed some garbage.

She called Depression Quest a bad game which some people on twitter seem to think that she is a pro-gamergater anti-feminist or some poo poo. :cripes:

well, i mean the game is terrible and i like weird though provoking poo poo. Quinn didnt deserve any of the awful poo poo at all, but she isnt some magical game creating genius/humaniterian/amazing person that needs constant adulation and sainthood in my opinion. but yeah that doesnt surprise me that GG take that as vindication or some poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 23, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dreylad posted:

Yeah and Nagle basically says as much. Not surprisingly she is deeply sympathetic to women like Sarkeesian who have been the recipients of multi-year hate campaigns driven by the alt-right for the gentlest basic feminist critique of some video games.

Ironically she was ran off twitter because progressive/SJW leftists didn't like her thesis.

this. Sarkeesian is good, i don't agree with everything she says, but its mostly cool and good and she doesn't deserve the poo poo she gets. sure she worked with some shitheads but she was smart enough to remove them and broaden her approaches.

Quinn,,, reading her various blogs/tweets/social media even the long eron thing. she strikes me as kinda of a lovely person who uses people and throws them away. i know people like her personally, my ex was one. they are toxic as gently caress people who make you feel like poo poo constantly. it sadly wouldn't surprise me if half the stuff the ex said was true. that being said, it should never have gone public and she didn't deserve that level of poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's like new ghostbusters. thanks to the mouth breathers you can't (rightfully) criticize it because all of them flipped out over THE GHOUL FIGHTERS ARE LADIES NOW NOT MY GHOSTBUSTERS!!!??? the best part about that was those vocal chuds seemed to only enjoy ghostbusters on a superficial level anyway, like action figures and tee shirts and poo poo and not as an all-time great comedy so their meltdown was doubly stupid.

or the guy who made that dragon cancer whining it wasn't selling because people could just watch it on youtube. i mean it sucks to say so to some dude whose kid died of cancer but uhh maybe make a game that's worth playing??

it does kind of own how in their insanity these gamegate types have made their targets unassailable to even correct criticism. their own worst enemies.

this. they create their own enimies and dont allow for genuine criticism and it allows for alot of assholes to hide behind progressive values and say "see i did nothing and didnt gently caress up. it was those bigots saying i was lovely". also new ghostbuster was terrible movie and feigh played the "woke" card hard so he act like it wasnt his fault he sucks at making those kind movies. rlm said it best, they should have did what disney did with episode 7.

anway, i have never been able to play that dragon cancer, its to close to home in various ways.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 23, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zikan posted:

I'm sad but not surprised that this happened, the moment I read her criticism of tumblr-liberalism I knew it would be a lightening rod due to her heightened profile and association with Chapo.

yeah. call out culture/tumblr liberalism idpol on the left is crap and only hurts people

Praseodymi posted:

https://twitter.com/ContraPoints/status/878328592815407104

So looking at the replies to this I know I'm not the only one, but I'm in the minority thinking it's pretty lovely that these lot are all buddy buddy now? I couldn't even stand to be in the same room as ArmouredSkeptic, it just seems like because they aren't personally affected by the hateful poo poo they spew they can just opt out of it when they want.

thats contra and lindsey ellis and others, not alt right people.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

nah i feel you it's like when you see politicians of what's supposed to be the good party being buddy buddy with people that try to legislate to destroy everyone that isn't a rich white male.

or rgb being good friends with scalia despite the fact he's done more damage to this country in his lifetime than anyone but a couple of presidents.

just makes it all feel so empty.

gently caress i can't even look at my brother let alone speak to him now that he's gone full on alt-right maga poo poo.

i can understand supreme court wise. you have to work with each other until you retire or die. you kinda have to become friends or at least get along.

i mean i have friends who are right wing, even far right wing, it sucks sometimes but their is life outside politics.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

this is a troll free zone.

shoeonhead and armouredskeptic second and third from left.

ehh. isnt ArmouredSkeptic one of the better ones? i mean if just doesnt like tumblr liberalism, thats not exactly terrible.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

not really. it's pretty difficult to be friendly with someone when you know they're an utter shithead with no empathy for anyone but themselves.

well yeah but life isnt a political/humanities course. you have to work with people who have different or lovely beliefs then yours. sometimes you can look past it and be friends with them, not everything has to be a death struggle.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

blowfish posted:

Eh. The outrageous examples rarely cross over from tumblr to real life, but saying that self-styled progressives have settled into lovely ineffectual tactics more suited for internal propaganda than actually beating people who don't already agree with your underlying assumptions is valid IMO.

this. they exist but they are rarer then people act like.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dreylad posted:

As Nagle argues, Tumblr politics matter as much as 4chan politics insomuch that they themselves aren't important but the kinds of transgressive identity politics they dole out have spawned bigger movements and reactions across the Internet. Being critical of the extremes of identity politics isn't condoning other kinds of criticism that tend to come in the form of the harassment of women and minorities. Nagle herself is a feminist and she criticizes modern ID politics from a feminist perspective.

this. i need to pick up the book instead.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I just want to point out that a few short months ago, Sargon took a picture of a woman for the "crime" of wearing a shirt that said Feminist. It had the name of her workplace in it and people also know where Carl lives so that narrows it down even more. So we all can guess what happensed, even if you don't know the story.

Carl also pretty much threatened a member of parliament.

The guy is a proven menace to any woman who disagrees with him. Calling him out is perfectly 100% justified.

Groovelord Neato posted:

calling someone a "garbage human" after all she's had to face shows superhuman restraint.

this. i would have said alot more hurtful poo poo if i had been her. carl probaly would thrown himself under a bus if i were her.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

you are wrong is the problem. she handled it better than any of us would have in the same situation.

again this. i am not even that much of fan of her, but gently caress i admire the restraint she has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

yeah sargon is probaly hosed or maybe thunderfoot is leaving this bullshit behind or something hopefully.

• Locked thread