Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

How the gently caress does an ex-rugby player screw that up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Like I'm going to click on a link with Andrew Bolt talking to Rowan Dean that isn't also labelled "murder/suicide".

Don Dongington posted:

Yeah watch Bill Shorten's Labor Party vote for this, and then gift us with another 4 years of The Trumbles.

Why would they? They opposed the last lot of uni changes, and opposing the Coalition on education is something they could do in their sleep.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Ora Tzo posted:

So they've definately learnt their lesson from the disaster that was their attempt at the privatisation of tertiary education?

What does Labor have to gain by agreeing with the Coalition on this? Why would they agree to it this time when they didn't support the previous versions of it?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

News posted:

LABOR is pledging to block a $2.8b funding cut to the higher education sector which will force students to pay off loans earlier and make degrees more expensive. Shadow Education Minister Tanya Plibersek hasn’t ruled out blocking all of the reforms though. Speaking to reporters in Sydney this morning, she said Labor would examine the detail of the Turnbull Government’s proposal to see if there were measures the party would support.

Ms Plibersek rejected suggestions the increased fees were not that large an impost on students.

“Students in Australia are already among the highest contributors to the cost of their own university education, so adding thousands of dollars to the cost of the degree is unfair,” she said. "We also know that those students are repaying back debt at the same time as every other expense is hitting them, they’re starting a family, trying to buy a house. If students do well from their university education, if they become highly paid professionals, they will make a contribution through the tax system on top of repaying their HECS debt, for the rest of their lives.”

Under the planned changes, announced by Education Minister Simon Birmingham last night, students studying a four-year bachelor degree will pay between $2000 and $3600 more over the duration, and all can be deferred on the income-contingent HECS-HELP loan scheme. Students will also have to replay loans earlier once they start earning. The repayment threshold for their loans will kick in at $42,000 from mid-2018 — a substantial drop from the current $55,000 threshold.

The Government will also impose a two- year efficiency dividend on teaching funding. Labor also announced an efficiency dividend of 2 per cent during the Gillard Government, which would have cut $2.3 billion from its spending on higher education to fund the Gonski school reforms.

Opposition leader Bill Shorten said the Turnbull Government should be finding money in the budget by not going ahead with corporate tax cuts rather than making university students pay more to go to university. Shadow Education Minister Tanya Plibersek also slammed the proposed efficiency measures. The government should not be “slashing” money from education to repair the budget, Ms Plibersek said.

She also questioned the Deloitte report’s credibility.

“Isn’t it surprising that when the government commissions a company to do a report to justify cuts to university funding and increases to student costs that the report comes out saying we should cut university funding and increase student costs,” she said. Ms Plibersek also laughed off suggestions Labor had promised similar efficiency measures, saying funding for education had nearly doubled to $14 billion under the Rudd and Gillard governments.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Anidav posted:

St. Wankers for Gifted Children.
I believe the Catholic Church has got in trouble for that kind of thing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Anidav posted:

Thank you topless Australia day Nazi salute lady.

Can't even draw the flag correctly.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

#putoutyourracistjokes
I choose to remember him as a Knight of the Order of Australia.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/860288727276556289

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dude McAwesome posted:

Why do they care about the tax rate when big corporations find ways to pay no loving tax anyway. Is it a smokescreen so that the public thinks they do pay tax?
Some do, some don't. Wesfarmers pays close to 1B in corporate tax each year and you can bet they'd like to lower that if they could.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah Dutton's seat isn't remotely safe.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I don't think that's the right message to take from that movie.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

For those that haven't read it, here's Safran's piece on the Brisbane Golden Dawn Rally from 2014 that was mentioned above.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I am jealous of everyone here who is unfamiliar with Farrelly.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mark Latham posted:

DECISION TO JOIN LIBERAL DEMOCRATS
Recently I attended the Liberty Conference in Sydney, a wonderful forum supporting freedom of speech and opposing PC, social engineering and cultural Marxism. Debate and ideas flourished, unlike today's Labor Party, which has barred me from speaking at membership events in Western Sydney (via Sussex Street Stalinist Rose Jackson). I support 80-90 percent of the Liberal Democrats platform, pretty good for someone with strong views formed over a long period of time. Plus, as a party of freedom, the Liberal Democrats allow room for dissent and diversity of opinion (Shorten Labor is only interested in diversity of skin colour, gender and sexuality - Safe Schools BS).
So I have joined up and want to play a role in fighting for our national values, based on personal freedom and responsibility.
I will be on The Bolt Report tonight at 7pm talking about this decision, and the wrongness of Dastyari/Shorten Labor. I wouldn't normally be on that channel but Andrew Bolt has been a great champion of freedom of speech, including mine. We trust you, THE PEOPLE, to listen to various views and make up your own mind about political issues!! It's called DEMOCRACY!!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Hate is Latham's self-admitted natural state of being.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dude McAwesome posted:

Levy the gently caress outta them!

I thought Ticky Fullerton was on the ABC and not Sky? Is she on both? Or just Sky now?

Fullerton left at the end of last year.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

At a recent event Latham was telling photographers that they were only there to take bad pictures of him. I think they took it as a challenge.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

There's an apartment glut in Melbourne and Brisbane that is going to keep getting worse (or better YMMV) as new developments come online. There's no suggestion that it will spill over to houses though.

Sydney is getting a shitload of apartments around Green Square which might have a similar effect in the medium term.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

It's never saved money anywhere it's been tried before. Its a rort to steal public money via testing samples.

It's also about making sure right wing middle / upper class people feel that poor people are being sufficiently punished for being poor.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Abbott is going to be mental tomorrow.

Checks out, the day ends in "y".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Zenithe posted:

Who is going to test all this piss?

:smugdon:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Aw gently caress.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Sure houses are two or three times more expensive than they were in the 90s and lots of people can't even afford a deposit, and sure the increase in house price entirely counters the lower interest rates, and sure the inevitable increase in interest rates would wipe out a a lot of people but, umm, loving milennials right?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah it's okay to buy Astle's crossword this week.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

ewe2 posted:

Lol Daisy reduced to an MRA cheerleader.

"reduced".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/ursusocculta/status/863016034722336769
https://twitter.com/ursusocculta/status/863017481551699969

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Michael West had a good piece detailing the specifics of how some companies don't pay tax.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lid posted:

Speaking of Latham

Also:

But the group claims it is not white supremacist, as it does not believe whites should rule over other races. Rather, The Dingoes say Australia should be an "ethnostate" in which all citizens are white.

WHAT DOES THIS EVEN PRETEND TO MEAN

Japan and Israel are monoculturial societies therefore we aren't racist in wanting a white ethnostate.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Should see what Latham thinks about guns.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

what are the lidbems like, politcally. right wing?

The Aussie ones? Libertarian with a focus on guns and smoking.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

how was latham as a labor leader

Angry and not very effective.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Not much has changed for him, then.

He described himself as a "hater" many years ago. It is the most insightful thing he has ever said.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Senor Tron posted:

I can't decide if I want to see Turnbull spilled or lose the next election.

Por que no los dos

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

My two favourite bits:

quote:

You might have to buy an investment property first, you might have to share with mum and dad, you might have to buy with a friend, but you’ve got to get your foot in the door and you’ve got to slowly get up the ladder.”

quote:

“I always wanted to be in every state,” he said back in 2014. “I tried Sydney but it’s virtually impossible to buy up there."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

JBP posted:

I just smashed Redfern into the rental house website and a 2br rough looking townhouse was $650p/w lmao.

Holy poo poo if you want to live off the street in a tiny apartment they're charging $650p/w... Magnificent.

It's going to be a bit more cyclical than some other areas because of the Uni but that's not unrepresentative of the inner suburbs at all.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Oh get hosed.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

V for Vegas posted:

I don't know, when the State provides you with a 500 metre bus route, it can't be that bad. How will the good people of Kingsford and Daceyville survive without the 342?

I think that route is outside the region that's affected by the change.

Business Insider posted:

The government will continue to own Region 6 buses and assets, including depots, and set Opal fares and timetables.

Private operators will have to compete and re-apply for contracts every 5 to 10 years. The tender will begin in July 2017 and is expected to be completed by July 2018.

The minister said Sydney Buses will continue to operate three of the state’s 15 regions – 7, 8 and 9 – which includes the inner metropolitan areas of the eastern, and southern and northern suburbs, including the CBD.

Sydney transit regions.

quote:

OUR 10 MOST COMPLAINED ABOUT BUS ROUTES

(July 1, 2015 to June 30, 2016)

400 — Burwood to Bondi Junction via Airport: 658 (complaints)
418 — Burwood to Bondi Junction via Ashfield: 613
440 — Rozelle to Bronte via Central — 510
423 — Earlwood to City: 393
412 — Campsie to City via Earlwood: 375
492 — Drummoyne to Rockdale: 374
461 — Burwood to City via Parramatta Rd: 306
470 — Lilyfield to City via Annandale: 276
438 — Abbotsford to City via Leichhardt: 274
422 — St Peters to City: 269
Gee it's like Parramatta Road is a shitfight

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Bogan King posted:

It doesn't ask preferred leader to only ALP voters do you're going to see stupid noise. Just a funny thing to laugh at not read something into.

https://twitter.com/christianmccrea/status/864074060950421504

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/MathewHounsell/status/864041651097935873

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Frogfingers posted:

Edit: ^^^ Where's the doge?

Like all regulations the Dog Rule was deemed to be stifling innovation and restricting the free exchange of ideas, so it was removed.

• Locked thread