Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

No Butt Stuff posted:

Yes Jamaal. It's very personal that the chiefs did not cut you last year. How dare they not spend 7 million on someone who has played 6 games in two years!

They were terrible to you!

It fills my heart with glee that we are all so close to the day when Patriots fans says this about Tommy when he gets shipped off to the Browns for "freelancing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Kalli posted:

Aaron Hernandez now officially innocent

Must be bittersweet since he now will cost you cap space that you're not using anyway

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

iospace posted:

I'd say the Steelers are due for a decline, but who knows. Ben sits out and their backup is pretty decent this past season. Who knows there.

Patriots are long overdue for one, but that won't happen for a while (well, as long as Bill gets people to come over by going, "Play for me, have a legit shot at a ring. Play for them, sure you get money, but will you get that ring?").

Other team likely overdue for one: Packers, as much as I hate to admit that, though of the current top teams, those are the inky ones that have division champion dynasties compared to the others.

I mean, the Steelers had consecutive 8-8 seasons just a few years back. Going back to like 1970, this was about as much of a "decline" as they've gone through, with or without a franchise QB. The franchise knows how to win, even if they don't approach the Patriots highs.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Kordell Stewart?

His weird razor bump affliction is probably pretty effective tbh

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

No Irish Need Imply posted:

Bengals got better, Ravens got better, Steelers stayed the same which at worst is still the AFC North winner.

The Steelers got even better on offense just by getting Bryant back, and drafting a non-dwarf possession WR. Someone will still get injured, but their redzone offense is markedly improved

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Hey when the Browns get 5 wins and a tie this year I'll laugh at everyone from this thread with you

I got into a fight with a Ravens fan about how the Steelers are going to seriously decline when Ben retires five minutes from now. I said they went to the playoffs just about every year in the 20 years between Bradshaw and Ben, and even went to a SB with garbage like Neil O'Donnell. The he went on and on about Today's NFL and winning, so I just said your team has been winning without an offense for 20 years so stfu

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Flikken posted:

I figure the Browns are a 6-10 to 7-9 team this year. Next year if Hue and Sashi keep their jobs it should come together.

The Browns have had back-to-back really good drafts. I'm excited to see what happens.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Andy Dalton will funsling which is a powerful technique that Alex Smilth is sorely lacking, therefore Andy is better

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

fsif posted:

My offseason hot take is that Ben Roethlisberger is insanely overrated and is very obviously not a top ten quarterback.

My hot retort is that he has 2 more ringz than Jim Kelly

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

It's funny to me that some of you think that Ben isn't tier 2 who sometimes flirts with tier 1. He's clearly not Brady or Rodgers, but theres's been like 3, maybe 4 guys in the last 2 decades who have the physical tools to make the pass he made to win 43

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

I agree, actually. For most of his career he's been what Cam Newton is right now for the Panthers, albeit with much better passing effectiveness and tools. He's getting old and I think the four I placed above him are clearly better than him right-now.

If we were making legacy rankings that took their bodies of work in account then I think it would look very different.

Fair. He's still only 34, but the middle years of his career when he got sacked 50+ times per year probably took 5 years off of his playing years

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah no one willingly and as an integral part of their game took as much punishment as Ben did when he was younger. So many times he'd just stand there and shrug off some 300 lb guy instead of getting rid of the ball early.

e: Well no one who doesn't run a lot. Cam has an argument for getting beat up that much.

He ran a lot when he was young too. Like, a lot.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Frequently for a QB sure, but nothing like Cam. Ben's highest rushing attempts in a season is 56 in his rookie year, Cam's lowest was last year at 90. I'm sure a big chunk of the difference is Ben handing the ball off in short yardage situations and Cam being like, the actual go to option for Carolina.

What I remember Ben doing is running around all over the place in the backfield before finally throwing when he was young. Then at some point he graduated to just hanging out in a collapsing pocket and hip tossing rushing D Linemen like it was nothing for a couple of years. Recently he plays way more like a normal QB.

He started off running for yardage, which morphed into noticing guys would uncover when he approached the line of scrimmage, which then morphed into the hip checking and shoulder tossing d-linemen until guys uncovered. The latter was very exciting football.

FWIW, Ben was never infected with football autism like Brady, Brees or Manning, so he never had a prayer of ascending to their heights. Up until last year, I'm pretty sure his off season consisted of drinking beer, hunting and fishing (plus rape joke here), and he has always been notoriously lax in film study. All-in-all, he's like a bigger Bret Favre with less slightly less risk-taking and INTs when you reduce it down to common denominators

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Reminder that LaGarrette Blount shoved Todd Hayley to the ground on the sidelines, and went to the team bus to pout with 10min left in a game at TN because he wasn't getting enough carries on a night where Le'Veon Bell went for 200+ yards.

It's only a matter of time before he's back on the Patriots for the playoffs

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Eli Wiggum posted:

Gimmick or not, his final 15-paragraph post in TFF was hella dumb

Gimmicks don't write manifestos imo. Can you imagine LWB or AAC doing similar?

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Hmm, yes. If I squint really hard, i can see how some TFF posters could read that 2000 word earnest screed and still imagine that guy was an artful troll.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Why did he need to mention his Twitter handle was his D and D character...I just would have assumed he thought it was the noise a cartoon dog makes when it sneezes

Idk, I will be honest and admit, I've never read it beyond skimming bc I am not a masochist

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

No Irish Need Imply posted:

With that post you hope it's a troll.

I don't play by gbs rules, carnale

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Not really

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

He'll always have that one game for the Chargers where he looked like Julio Jones but 25 pounds heavier.

After being on PUP for the 1st 8 weeks of his Steelers debut season, he destroyed the Giants in week 13, then promptly got concussed by George Iloka in week 13 and missed the playoffs. Massive disappointment, and he's apparently still in concussion protocol 6 months later

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

kiimo posted:

Name your team's disappointing player that's totally gonna turn it around this year for real this time y'all.

I'll go first: Jeremy Maclin

Martavis, who is already taking 1st team snaps on his 1st day back with the team in 16 months.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

VietCampo posted:

Let's draft this guy who knocked out a chick but celebrating after a touchdown is over the line and sets a bad example for the kids!

This is what Marvin Lewis literally believes

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Ehud posted:

https://twitter.com/miamidolphins/status/869376108231237632

I think he's my favorit dolphin

those highlights man

so gritty but he's black?

He's my favorite non-Steeler

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

kiimo posted:

What good are good wide receivers when your QB is just gonna throw to the tight end and running backs anyway?

I wish my team had a great TE. Like, we should draft a great TE like Shannon Sharpe or w/e the gently caress kawalimus was saying

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

WHOOPS posted:

Yes, he talked about how bad Kniles Davis is a few weeks ago!

Well, he's a Steeler now, so this is meaningless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Wes Welker making it rain while wacked outon Molly at the Derby is, in this goon's opinion, one of the best football related things to ever happen

• Locked thread