Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Hoodwinker posted:

Is that from that one incredibly dark and gruesome X-Files episode? Because you could also substitute anything from that.

Yup, 'Home'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
I cosigned for my deadbeat stepson, how can I get out of it?

quote:

While I was married, my ex-wife convinced me to co-sign a student loan for her son (my step-son). We're now divorced and the step-son doesn't always make his payments on time. The payments are $280/mo
I checked with the bank who has the loan, and he needs 2 years of full, on-time payments for me to be removed. So far, he's been unable to achieve that. He gets close (12-18 months) and then misses a payment. In fact, today, I just got a letter saying it's 30 days past due.

What's you're advice for extracting myself out of this?

My former employer is trying to commit payroll fraud.

quote:

I was working as an optician for this particular Dr's. Optometry practice. She did not have me sign any paperwork when I started. I recently quit to go to a better job opportunity for myself. Unfortunately, I didn't give her a two week notice because my new boss wanted me to start asap. I felt bad for the circumstances, but I did what I felt was best for me. I don't owe her any property back or anything like that. I just want to be able to go in on a Monday when I have the day off to get my check, but she is making it difficult for me by saying I can only go get it when she is there and when I sign a paper in her presence only. Financially, I cannot be leaving work early to go do this. So it's just frustrating that she can't just compromise a bit with me. It feels like she is just upset still.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

4. Horse weddings paid with truck equity

Taking out a second truck mortgage to pay for the horse-boat that runs on oats and housing tech bubbles.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Power of Pecota posted:

I'm confused how $600/month for electricity breaks down (as someone who's only ever paid electricity bills for apartments with 0-2 roommates) but I'm guessing that has a lot of stuff rolled in with it.

They probably didn't pay it for a few months.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6evvf9/selling_junker_car_dude_wants_to_send_me_a_check/

Is this scam a scam? It feels like a scam.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

The horse represents consumer confidence, and the bride is the national debt level.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

No Butt Stuff posted:

I like how my bank, which holds my car loan, cannot handle processing the transaction of paying said loan in less than 3 business days.

I love how Capital One can't process my credit card payment from a Capital One bank account in less than 2 business days.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Hoodwinker posted:

They're doing this because phone loans are being securitized. It's a whole new sector that the financial market is actively salivating over. The phone companies - who get to sell off the risk associated with the loans to third parties - partner up with the banks - who would love nothing more than to get a slice of a market they previously had no connection with - and you get a beautiful alien baby.

Is there anything that can't be securitized? Next thing you know, Comcast is gonna start selling securities based on my cable contract.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

OneTruePecos posted:

The fees are a post hoc rationalization for having looted the golf club's bank account to get his personal checking account above water. It's the weakest reed imaginable to hold up embezzlement as something else.

I didn't steal the car, I just hotwired it and drove it home so it wouldn't get a parking ticket!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Solice Kirsk posted:

We have the "Tamale Guy" on the westside of Chicago. Dude goes from bar to bar selling tamales out of his coolers at $1 a shot or a bag of them for $5. All home made and delicious. There's even an app to track where he's at through the night (though I've never used it). I've talked to him a few times and he says that he clears about $100k a year doing it. I don't think there's any permits or anything involved, but he's a westside institution and he's met with literal cheers every now and then when he enters a bar. Red cooler. Not blue cooler guy. Blue cooler guy is a copycat and a pale imitation.

His name is Claudio Velez, and he is a pretty awesome guy: https://www.thrillist.com/eat/chicago/tamale-man-chicago-dive-bars-claudio-velez-interview

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Teeter posted:

I always go back and watch this clip of Pentagon Wars whenever BWM government spending or weapons budgets comes up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA

quote:

A troop transport that can't carry troops, a reconnaissance vehicle that's too conspicuous to do reconnaissance, and a quasi-tank that has less armor than a snow-blower, but carries enough ammo to take out half of D.C.

They really should do a sequel about the F-35.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Tipps posted:

Between "boy I'm sure glad I had 80k sitting in my chequing account" and "I am independently wealthy from buying/selling bitcoin", I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume that post is a fake story to subtly get the down-and-out people in r/legaladvice to buy into the bitcoin bagholding as their one weird trick to solve all their money woes.

( What bank would even process a stack of 20 post-dated cheques?? )

The date on a check is more of a suggestion then anything else. As soon as it's signed and endorsed, it's ready for deposit or cashing.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Nail Rat posted:

As they'd have to be bred specifically for that (read: inbred) I'm sure they actually are even more expensive than regular horses with even more maladies.

It's a miracle Lil' Sebastian lived for as long as he did.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Guinness posted:

Talk about title inflation... just because he gets high all day doesn't make him an aeronautics engineer.

:v:

Counterpoint: a pothead with weed but nothing to smoke it with will engineer circles around NASA.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Bad With Money: Wanting to purchasing a house within 200 miles of San Francisco

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/74q1b3/home_in_bay_area/

r/personalfinance posted:

Hi, I wanted to get peoples thoughts as to whether it makes sense to purchase a house in the bay area. The market is extremely expensive and I am nervous about : 1) having such a large debt that my ability to save in the future will be limited, 2) that the market is so high right now I will be overpaying and may be stuck in this house for a long time, and 3) the houses that we are looking at are relatively small and we may eventually want to upgrade. It is a dream for my wife and I to own our own place, and we do plan to stay in the bay area long term, however I want to be practical.
The houses we are looking at start at $800K (which is nearly the floor in this market), and will more likely be around $900K - $1M. There are also HOA fees which may be anywhere from $50 - $400 per month. We take home around $10K combined per month after taxes and 8% 401K deductions. Our current monthly living budget is $5K - $6K which includes $2.6K in rent. We have $200K saved up not including 401K's of around $150K. No debt. We are in our early 30s. Thanks for any insight!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

DoD Security Clearance Decisions posted:

Applicant is 58 years old and employed as a Principal Multi-Discipline Engineer by a defense contractor. Applicant's history of financial indebtedness caused by his real estate investments, his ignorance of the IRS laws, and the downturn in the real estate market resulted in a foreclosure, a short sale, excessive unpaid Federal taxes, tax liens and money owed to a creditor for an equity line of credit. Although he has tried to resolve his debts by obtaining a hard money loan, he remains excessively indebted. Simply shuffling money from one creditor to another is insufficient to show mitigation. Clearance is denied.

http://ogc.osd.mil/doha/industrial/2017/15-06284.h1.pdf

http://ogc.osd.mil/doha/industrial/2016.htm

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Hoodwinker posted:

God Bless Our Puritanical Roots.

I'm still amazed that this country was founded by people too uptight for the British.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Teeter posted:

CareCredit offers a credit line for vet expenses at 0% APR, then after a few months APR jumps up to 27% and adds retroactive interest. Seems like potential for a ton of BWM stories out there.

0% means it's like free money! Right? :v:

At least it's not all bad if you're responsible about it:

I had a CareCredit card once. Applied for it and never used it. After 12 months they closed it for inactivity and my FICO score dropped 20 points.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Movie idea: Tom Hardy is a cowboy who breaks into stables and repossess horses from bankrupt owners.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

FrozenVent posted:

For the record horse meat is delicious and I don't understand America's repulsion with it.

HORSIES ARE MAGICAL CREATURES AND I WANT ONE AND DONT YOU HURT FRECKLES!!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Krispy Wafer posted:

No, but Samsung uses Apple patents so that's kind of the same thing.

It's not a new thing. Samsung has been manufacturing iPhone CPUs for years. So a phone designed in California, manufactured primarily in China by a Taiwanese company, has its CPU built in Texas by a Korean company - who also happens to be their biggest rival.

:capitalism: and globalization

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

crazypeltast52 posted:

Everyone got really good at cutting costs over the past two years, some parts of Texas are back above previous production peaks! I haven't seen the Lamborghini in Williston, ND driving around much lately when I've been up there, the owner must have sold it or put it in storage.

BWM: most of OPEC has to dip into their reserves/sovereign funds because they expected high oil prices forever and can't support their current spending on revenues.

But Saudi princes like new yachts as they raise domestic energy prices and cut civil service raises, so you get bad optics AND unhappy workers!

Since the House of Saud is undergoing a minor coup d'etat and bleeding money into a Yemenese civil war, prices might start heading back up.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Senor Dog posted:

I don't follow the logic here. They'll cut back on production due to the above coup and costly war?

Krispy Wafer posted:

Saudi Arabia has been over producing to drive prices down and kill off all the shale drilling. It worked to a degree, but the US and Canada can still produce enough oil at current prices to keep being a problem for OPEC.

If they cut back on production they can increase prices, but that'll bring in more shale producers. So they're kind of hosed. Which is why they're trying to reform their economy while they still have lots of cash and the coup is part of this.

What this guy said.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The same truck CPO/used would have been 35 grand.

New cars in 2017 are BWM period full stop.

Why not buy a horse instead?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Risky Bisquick posted:

I bought a brand new car, it still is GWM because of the new car smell maybe you bought too much car for your lifestyle. You do value the premium leather new car aroma right?

I thought 'new car smell' was a combination of fumes from industrial solvents and adhesives.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Phanatic posted:

SSDI is supplemental income, not healthcare. If you're on SSDI you get *paid*, it's not a reimbursement for expenses you incur. You can be on SSDI and have no medical expenses at all; you can just be disabled and unable to work.

If you're on SSDI for long enough, you become eligible for Medicare. It's possible she hasn't been on it long enough for that benefit to kick in, or those could be his medical expenses and not hers.

My Mom's on SSDI and she qualified for Medicare as soon as her disability was approved.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

therobit posted:

Do you know what kind of toucan it is?

Looks like the White-Throated Toucan: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White-throated_toucan

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'm not an econ nor do I make most of my decisions like it but I think it's a really useful exercise to think about the pitfalls inherent in this kind of decision making!

For our dog it was $1,500 jellybeans.

For my old dog it was $40 frozen pork chops.

How they didn't kill him is still a mystery.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Cicero posted:

YOSPOS was also predicting (still is predicting?) a dot com bubble bursting for years that hasn't come around. There does appear to have been a slight deflation though.

It's coming. Not as hard hitting as the 2000's, but VC funding is starting to dry up. You can only fund so many $500 DRM-locked squeeze bag juicers before investors become skeptical.

That and Silicon Valley is starting to feed on itself. 'Our new app is like BuzzFeed, but for Twitter!'

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Cicero posted:

Ahahahahahahaha, oh my God

https://www.extremetech.com/electronics/254979-pour-one-juicero-now-defunct-bagjuice-squeezing-company

$120 million in VC funding, to build a product that nobody asked for.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Subjunctive posted:

What market/stage/sector do you have in mind here? Generally VC activity in the US is up in both round count and deal size quarter over quarter since Q4 2016 (I haven’t seen a good report on Q3 yet, probably this month). That certainly matches my firm’s anecdotal experience and what I hear from other VCs and LPs. Angel and seed rounds are growing in amount quickly, too.

Uh... :stare: Yes?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Subjunctive posted:

I don’t follow. What did you mean by VC drying up?

E: it’s been pointed out that I may be overestimating how far this conversation can go!

What I meant was that VCs are more selective then they were even two years ago, so we're gonna see fewer magical flying unicorn startups and stupidity high amounts of R1 funding

Less "We want $500 million for a new Reddit, but on Instagram!" and more of "We want $750k to make a new kind of wireless router."

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Subjunctive posted:

VC is a big industry. There were like 5000 VC rounds in 2016, and we’re tracking higher this year. Those news-worthy deals were always anomalous, and few in number. If you see 5 fewer of them in 2018 it’ll be a 30% drop or whatever. I don’t know what the trends have been in A valuation, though. I’d be super interested if you do, but it’s very hard information to get.

But again, firms have to deploy their capital according to their strategy, and initial investments typically have to come in the first 3 years of the fund’s lifetime. (The initial-investment period ends when the next fund goes online.)

VCs also, pretty much necessarily, analyze upside more than downside. It’s the nature of the asset class: you need some big wins to return the fund 2.5x and get to raise new funds. Hunter Walk recently wrote something good on this topic, but I’m on my phone and lazy.

I'm assuming this is the kind of stuff you're talking about : https://techcrunch.com/2017/07/11/inside-the-q2-2017-global-venture-capital-ecosystem/

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Suspicious Lump posted:

Nono, it's a loving LEASE of a horse. lol, how is that a thing?

After 5 years you get the option to buy the horse at about 1/2 the retail cost.

Not for most people, but if you ride a horse for work it can be a good idea.

No it isn't. Never lease a goddamn horse.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

CannonFodder posted:

Mulder had a waterbed, it sprung a leak in the Groundhog Day style episode.

Yeah but he didn't buy it. The Area 51 MiB he swapped bodies with bought it for him.

Then he lost it after his father was time-kidnapped and he had to share a apartment with the Cigarette Smoking Man.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Hoodwinker posted:

It's been a long time since I've watched X-Files and I'm honestly not sure if this is a joke or not.

Second one is, first one is real.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Moneyball posted:

That 400k the President makes has got to be thought of as a server's $2.13/hr. Just the pay for the inconvenience of being there. And the tips are all the book deals and speeches they'll get to make for the rest of their lives.

And the prestige. Amex gave Jerry Ford $200k a year for sitting on their board.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Krispy Wafer posted:

Going to a Costco on a Saturday is only mildly less insane than going to an IKEA.

The gas lines are crazy, but at least they make the hoses long enough to reach either side of your car.

Going to Costco the day before Christmas.

The horror...the horror...:stare:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Krispy Wafer posted:

The doctor theory is good. Never take investment advice from a doctor and never get into a small plane with one either.

*gets into a plane with a dermatologist*

"Let me tell you about a terrific investment opportunity! Ever hear of aircraft timeshares?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Splicer posted:

Where do you live that this is legal rather than them just adding it to your paycheck?

Most states. Some places have even phased out direct deposit for those money cards, and they're fee rich so they employers actually make money off of them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/01/business/as-pay-cards-replace-paychecks-bank-fees-hurt-workers.html