Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Luigi Thirty posted:

That's not what these schools are for and you can't practice in the US or Canada without training there. According to this article from February, 94% of US med school graduates match while 54% of Caribbean med school graduates match. They're everything bad about those for-profit technical schools times ten: they take students American schools reject, charge them out the rear end, and dump them with a degree they can't use.

I'm legitimately surprised the number is as high as 54% and honestly for terrible life decisions you could do worse than a coin flip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

- Bad Derail Post -

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 3, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

"Soon" could simply mean the kid is in high school. A 37-year-old could easily have waited until after college age to have a kid who's in high school by now. And bwl, judging people's family planning in a country without full reproductive freedom.

My bad, I misread the ages on that also yes that was a dick move.

I am too also just baffled on the turning down the money, if you needed that $8000 you could have covered a decent chunk of that by just continuing to work for the two months needed, and honestly there are few times when its a good idea to say this... probably better off just using a credit card to cover the difference than kill that Pension.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 3, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I find it amusing that Call of Duty 4 revamped a stale franchise by moving on from WWII, to Call of Duty going back to WWII a decade later in order to revamp a franchise that had gotten stale. However at this point Call of Duty is pretty much a video game equivalent of the James Bond Franchise, poo poo out a bunch of movies/games some good , some bad when the series gets stale just move it to a new setting instead of casting a new lead.

So in other words Call of Duty is GWM by Activision-Blizzard.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 4, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Kroger (QFC & Fred Meyer) in the Seattle area does have bags of $1 blemished/undersized produce

Usually there are always Banana's, Apples and Peppers sometimes other stuff like Garlic, Mushrooms, Oranges, and I think I saw eggplant once.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

monster on a stick posted:

I tried one of the cereal doughnuts once (I think the one with Cocoa Pebbles on top because I love chocolate) and the cereal was stale. Maybe Cocoa Pebbles always tastes stale since I very rarely eat cereal but it wasn't good at all.

It's GWM because it appeals to exactly who you describe, I don't think anyone else goes to Voodoo. Their downtown location (near drunk/stoned locals and tourists) is always packed with a line out the door. But they have, or used to have, a location in the east part of town far in a middle-class neighborhood, and whenever I've been there's no line.

EDIT: They also have oreo doughnuts for VVVVV

GWM they used to have 5 gallon buckets of donuts that didn't sell at the end of the day for $5 great for buying for clubs and poo poo at university.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

melon cat posted:

I've spoken with a lot of clients who do this- they just sit on huge balances in savings/checking accounts earning minimal, not-even-above-inflation interest. And their logic is airtight: "But if I invest the money I'll have to pay taxes on the gains so I'll just leave it where it is"

Because it's so much better to watch your money lose its value over time than it is to pay tax on some of your gains. :downs:

PEOPLE HATE PAYING TAXES TO THE POINT THEY ACTIVELY WASTE MONEY TO AVOID PAYING LESS IN TAXES THAN THE MONEY THEY WASTE.

Its insanely frustrating and honestly really retarded to the point where a couple of my friends spend ~ 2 hours a day commuting to Portland from Vancouver so they dont have to pay state income taxes. if you take the cost of running the car alone, not to mentioned wasted time it would just be easier to pay your drat taxes. The fact one of these people is an accountant makes it extra hilarious to myself.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

BraveUlysses posted:

washington residents have to pay oregon income tax if they work in oregon.

This is also true, but people dont seem to realize it.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

BraveUlysses posted:

What? you claimed wa residents commute to work in pdx to avoid paying taxes but they're not avoiding them

that commute is atrocious no matter how you slice it. vancouverites being dumb enough to not approve the light rail extension is even worse.

Many people seem to think its based on residency not work location, I think I worded that poorly I meant to say people are living in Vancouver thinking they will avoid paying income tax despite working in Portland, thus being doubly bad with money by wasting money to try to avoid un-avoidable taxes. By friends I meant more general acquaintances, my one actual friend living in Vancouver actually works in Vancouver as well, but he spouted the same idea when I was talking about how I was looking for work in the Portland area.

Now that I think on it too my comment on the accountant doing that is wrong, I think she still lives with her parents in Vancouver so its actually probably not tax dodging on her part.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

monster on a stick posted:

I still don't get it, whenever I've lived in a state with income tax withholding is mandatory just like it is with Federal income tax. They would see that this one weird trick tax collectors hate doesn't work the first time they got their paycheck.

So you are just mad because nobody actually spends two hours to save on taxes, but because you read some person posting on Facebook thinking they could do it?

I mean there are other things, that make me annoyed this was just a dumb and wrong anecdote. Its a hyperbolic situation, but people yes tend to do silly things with their money to try to avoid taxes, this was a bad example.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 12, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

LLCoolJD posted:

The two Vancouvers are too close together.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2us77l/i_lost_half_of_my_life_saving_trading_stocks_and/

Maybe a repost, but a good reminder that people with no knowledge about investing shouldn't "manage" their own stock trading.

On the flip side, the guy looks to have learned his lesson and blowing away $7 K at 20, is alot better than blowing away $100K of your retirement fund at 50, because AMD IS ONLY GONNA GO UP WITH RYZEN!!!.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Chinese Retirement Strategy, have four sons who will be obligated to care for their incompetent elders.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

canyoneer posted:

There are a lot of funny bits in there, but I thought the best part was that he thinks by being a college dropout, he's destined to be the next Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg.
And then he says that during his college experience, he never went to class but just stayed home and read the books instead.

Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard because he and (childhood friend & fellow student) Paul Allen had already started blowing people's minds with great software, and wanted to start getting paid for it. (Side note, met Steve Ballmer at Harvard too)
Zuckerberg dropped out because he got rich over the summer with his company (made of trusted peers he met at Harvard), so he kept rolling with it.

He didn't go to class. And he doesn't have a product he's already getting rich off of.
Way to miss the point, kid.

But Paul Allen never went to Harvard? (He went to WSU and dropped out).

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Maybe this is me being an old man yelling at clouds, but why would you let your 15-year old have an Uber account, let alone one linked to your bank account, and where is a 15-year old taking Uber for $150?

I dunno maybe she needed and uber to go to an Ariana Grande concert.

In regards to whole life though, if they are so bad at not blowing all their money to actually save anything, having a crappy life insurance plan is still better than nothing. It's not GWM, but its not terrible just sub-optimal.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 24, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Volmarias posted:

A friend of mine, recently separated, told me that his ex's family all go to a tax preparer who gets them an absolute ton back in rebates. He does this by dramatically increasing their withholding. They love the guy for it and don't understand why my friend thinks that it's dumb, because LOOK AT ALL THE MONEY THEY'RE GETTING FROM THE GOVERNMENT!

It's like the people who hear "$1000 Cash Back" in an ad and think "why, they're practically paying ME for the car!"

I don't blame that CPA, the family is probably the type of client who yells at you when you try to do things the "right" way. He isn't being shady, just lazy which honestly is more amusing to me than nefarious.

Commissar Kayla posted:

My father in law worked for the IRS before he retired. When he was there, they had a quota per hour they were expected to make doing audits, so they went after rich people and people like this guy who clearly claimed waaaay too many deductions. I feel like funding more IRS auditors would actually result it net positive returns for the federal government, assuming they prioritize rich people, and ideally rich people who do not understand anything about tax law and don't have a CPA or a lawyer.

Admittedly this is bad and I will look for an article or study to back this up, but I distinctly remember in one of my tax courses at college the professor either having a study/article about how actually re-funding the IRS so they can actually function would be the fastest way to reduce the defecit, beyond any budget cuts or "tax reform".

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Sep 11, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I feel bad for the fiance, he is probably a moron too, but he seems to be at least somewhat trying to fix the situation. All the debt being wracked up by this side business sounds like he is trying? to make some extra money albeit in an utterly misguided manner so they aren't so underwater while his S.O. is sitting around working one day a week and blowing what little she makes on a loving horse.

inb4 he drives a lifted truck financed through the secondhand dealer.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 24, 2018

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

SiGmA_X posted:

If you look at her post history, the fiance raped her after she broke up with him and moved out after she discovered he had been cheating on him.

She's also pregnant again.

And her parents house is also in a state of gross unhealthy mess, too.

Oh... if that is true, then dude is a poo poo bag and I feel bad for the kids.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 25, 2018

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

keroppl posted:

Barely getting by at $83,100 pre-tax (no state income tax either) with only a $1550 mortgage.

He earns about $50,100 a year before taxes and withholding. plus her $9,000 a year from SS makes that $59,100

plester1 posted:

To be fair, the Seattle housing market is so screwy right now that they probably couldn’t even afford a condo.

They could probably buy a smaller house or Condo in the area, they just wouldn't be able too in Bellevue.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 26, 2018

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Says he also gets $2000/mo from Social Security.

hrrk my bad I missed that.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Adam Vegas posted:

I had a dream which involved Haagen-Dazs Carrot Cake ice cream; a flavour that doesn’t exist.

Every day since then has been pain as I keep wanting this nonexistent ice cream.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/carrot-cake-ice-cream-1665202

Also on the Portland Apartments, when I was living there, a ton of new apartments being constructed in Tualatin/Beaverton/etc. south of Portland are those maybe being counted in one and not the other? This does nothing to improve trafffic, but it is something to note.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 30, 2018

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Photex posted:

Yikes.

The 10-15 posts in /r/depression might be a sign to get help.

Its awful, but they sound like a shity person so I kinda hope they do this.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

:thermidor:

Everyone who isn't subsistence farming.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

SiGmA_X posted:

Is this the right subreddit for; “My partner and I are getting pretty serious, and she’s finally decided to share with me her student loan debt. Turns out, she stopped paying into it roughly five years ago and it’s been turned over to collections ever since.”?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8zgmfa/is_this_the_right_subreddit_for_my_partner_and_i/

Yeah this is going to work out realllll well.
So much trust that you're just finding out now...

I dunno I think they can still bang just probably should never get married.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yeah, but you can declare bankruptcy on a person loan.

I think I just figured out a loophole!

One weird Trick, the Banks hate him!

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I mean I can see a few advantages to taking the apartment, 0 commute so you no longer have to incur travel expenses/time to get to work would be the selling point for me personally.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

The 65 year olds adopting babies is my parents next door neighbor who is older than my parents although it is a weird mess of adopted grandkids (great grandchildren maybe?) along with not related individuals. Her parenting style is mostly just scream at them and threaten to throw them out.

From my knowledge of their outcomes.

Non Blood Adopted: (To my knowledge)
1. 28-29 year old who is homeless in Portland. I know this because they asked my dad if he could drive them to a greyhound station after they got thrown out for being a lesbian whose girlfriend was "stealing". Dropped Out HS
2. 26-27 year old younger sister who is also homeless in Portland. I know this because they asked my dad if he could drive them to a greyhound station after they got thrown out. She I think graduated from Community College?
3. 26-27 adopted dude who disappeared after he graduated high school. I have no idea what happened to him.

Kids of Son?: (Committed murder/suicide with wife at some point)
3. 24 year old who is the same age as me, has a job lives with her and way to much debt from one of those terrible art institute schools so can't move out. I talk to her on occasion.
4. 21-22 year old younger brother of above who has HIV Aids and dropped out of highschool and is cut off contact, his sister doesn't know if he is dead or not. I liked him, but he got into hard drugs in high school.

Kids of Adopted ~35+ something Daughter I never met~: (In prison for various things)
5. 19 year old grandson. Sells drugs... also he knocked up a 40 year old with 4 other kids and has baby now (the gently caress)??? Dropped out of HS. Getting thrown out like in a week or two.
6. 13-14 year old twins sisters of above son. I dunno much about them they just started high school, which is when everything fell apart for most ofthe others.
7. ~1 year old baby girl born in prison now adopted.

The most GWM person in this family is the grandaughter who went to a for profit college.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 17, 2018

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Sundae posted:

God drat... at least on our side, the kids have mostly turned out alright so far. The parents are a financial disaster but the kids have all grown up to be pretty damned cool/sweet once they realized how bad their parents' "follow your dreams no matter the cost" bullshit advice had been. :sigh:

Yeah its a complete trainwreck.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

canyoneer posted:

The wedding shaming facebook group is a reliable source of grade A content. Your wedding may have been expensive, but was it helicopter rappelling horse archery expensive?

Nah this is actually kinda cool, at least its an interesting waste of money instead of "$500 jars of colored sand" for tables waste of money.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Sundae posted:

College-aged guy at my local library was sitting with his laptop. The laptop had a big bumper-sticker on the lid with text made out of Matrix-green 1's and 0's. The text spelled out "HODL."

loving idiot.

Wtf is HODL?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Maybe she was just buying expensive MLM juice?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

If Disney chat isn't over, one of my friends from college went to study abroad in Japan with some other people in a school program. A brother and sister in that group went to Disney Tokyo by his count at least 30 times that summer. They also organized a Disney student club so they were committed.

Then after graduating I think they both work at Disney World in Orlando although I don't want to check on Linkedin though the brother does habe a CPA license so it might actually be in corporate.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 22, 2018

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

brugroffil posted:

You can't just "get into the trades" as a union member. There has to be openings. Wait list can be years.

It depends, but in general yes and it makes sense. Although it depends where you are, some trades are better than others.

Example I work for some union pensions as an auditor. To take Electricians... They have likey 5 different types. Are you a journeyman inside wire ( commercial construction) congrats you make $50 an hour as a journeyman. Oh you ended up in Sound and Comms. journeyman make like $20 an hour there same for residential. Admittedly the Union covers you with retirement and Healthcare fringes, but you aren't making as much as a fair number of white collar guys without overtime.

Beats the hell out of retail or warehouse work I figure.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 25, 2018

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Obviously the student loan can be solved by

Open a business
Apply for a small business loan
Invest in "training" (your college degree)
Have you're broke LLC file bankruptcy
Walk away with a degree from Full Sail University
Profit???

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Man an investment account/broker is like the most bizzare place to go to open up checking account imo.

Also night stocking or swing shift warehouse work, like I did in High School or summers off from college? That has much more stable hours than retail/food service.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 13, 2018

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Thanatosian posted:

Schwab's checking accounts are legit. No foreign transaction fees.

Fair enough, still feels odd to me for a general checking account to go with that, but :shrug: I haven't had any real need to move from my account with a credit union, so I haven't looked in to alternatives.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

please knock Mom! posted:

look at this great human being

to be fair dude is sitting at nearly 600 downvotes so at least most people are agreeing they are trash.

I bet this is the same guy from that co-op cashier job post who ended not getting the job because he didn't agree that the managers/supervisor makes the same pay as the cashiers who get paid more than market average and got in a fight with the hiring manager trying to give him more money.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Blinkman987 posted:

I guess I’m trying to make sense of the actions of basically the Dumbest Americans but I can’t imagine the thought process that leads to someone to cut down some trees of all things.

They don't match the vision of the wedding. What don't you understand? Do you want to cause a marriage to fail you jerk?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

StuG Jeebus posted:

Her name is loving Brittanie Pyper

:thermidor:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Having done taxes at a small CPA firm that did stuff like this, everyone is on the money.

The guy taking advantage of his dead friends son is full of poo poo and is probably throwing away the notices.
The 401K people are full of poo poo, they are trying to blame the preparers when they probably sent in half the tax information they needed, past the actual filing deadline.
The IRS is horribly understaffed.
The IRS is perfectly happy to set up payment plans and not fight court battles that cost a lot more.
The IRS is perfectly happy to gently caress you up in a few years if you renege on those payments or never talk to someone.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Liquid Communism posted:

Yep. The IRS and USPS are not to be hosed with under any circumstances, because they are the epitome of hideously efficient bureaucracy when it comes to striking down offenders.

DHS, BATFE, and the FBI wish they were that good. There's a reason that most of the mobsters get nailed on RICO starting with tax fraud.

A good example of this in fiction is Tony Soprano freaking the gently caress out in one of the later seasons when the company he "works" for is getting sold.

"I NEED THAT W-2"!!!